Journeyman

Blowback

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Nov 26, 2007 on NBC

• great episode

This episode is the conclusion of a two part episode. A man from his past time travel return to the present and stalks Dan. He tracks him down to where he lives and makes his move when he is left alone inside the house. He shoots Dan and Dan vanishes. Dan goes back in time, and he finds a kid who is left inside his house. Dan figures out that this kid turns out to be Aeden Bennett. It's a really exciting episode. The stakes are raised for Dan. It's a really great episode. I really enjoyed this one, I can't wait for the next one.
  • Journeyman, a reason to love Mondays!

Journeyman is an extremely well written and well casted show. The actors and their characters are very likeable and have great chemistry together on screen. Somehow the show manages to perfectly balance drama, romance and edge of your seat action. Every episode is a pleasure to watch. It's been a while since a TV show has kept me literally glued to my TV for an hour. Journeyman has that special something that I haven't seen in a TV show in a long time!!! Don't go out Monday night, stay in, pop some popcorn and watch Journeyman! I hope this show stays around for many seasons to come.
  • It starts with Katie and Dan discussing with Jack about his after club sports that they are doing at Zacks school, obviously Dan can't say for definate that he'll be home.

Katie and Zack leave for school, Dan is in the kitchen when in comes the realtor by the backdoor and then shoots Dan in the shoulder. He grovels around the floor as he backs away from the gunman. He then jumps, back into 1980, where he is in the yard of a young Aeden Bennett, he then stumbles out into the road, nearly gets hit by a car but then rushed into hospital, where he is patched up and then semi-rescued by Livia.

Aeden in te present is unable to find Dan anywhere in the house, he searches it from top to bottom, but doesn't turn up anything. So he contacts Katie, pretends to be from the plumbers, convinces her that they have the wrong day and gets her to come back to the house to have as a hostage until Dan shows up, Aeden has the intention of going out in a blaze of glory.

Dan ends up borrowing $5 from Livia in the passed and then getting a taxi back to the house, where he breaks in, finding a young Aeden locked in his room, he manages to persuade him that there are people and services available to him, for this kind of abuse that he is suffering. We find out that his father is a policeman and that Aeden is grounded, for telling his father that he hates his mother for leaving him with his father. Then Dad turns up, but before he can really get nasty or before he finds Dan, he gets called away back to duty.

Aeden and Dan get to do some talking, before Dan collapses on the kitchen floor, young Aeden then helps Dan, Dan gets that look but explains that only because the Aeden in the future is going to harm his family is he being like this. Livia comes to the rescue once more. They are discussing things in the ambulance when they have a momnet of clarity, then both disappear, Dan to what appears to be a basketball court, Livia to the paper so she can meet up with Jack who is there.

Aeden and Katie are semi playing happy families, albeit one sided, talking through every type of passed issue, some about his mum, she tries to make some lunch and he loses his temper slightly, but then they get interupted by the nosey FBI agent. Dan faces Aeden and goes through his version of Aeden's life, Katie is released, Jack covers Aeden and it is all ended peacefully, with the help of alot of police units.
  • The consequences of Dan's actions finally come full circle in the latest riveting episode of "Journeyman."

Based on all the talk of cancellation and of the possible not-airing of the season finale of Journeyman, I am starting to get really ticked off at NBC. Granted, before Journeyman started I had seen a few previews for it. But it has mostly been doomed from the start, thanks to a horrible time slot (Heroes lead-in notwithstanding, late Monday night is still immensely inconvenient) and shoddy promotion.

That being said, the possible cancellation becomes all the more disheartening when Journeyman churns out episodes like this one. The acting, writing and storytelling of this episode were at a definite high point. More questions are revealed, and the storyline that began with the last episode wraps up nicely in a satisfying conclusion.

One of Journeyman's biggest strengths is that it is unpredictable. Given the nature of the show, a lot of liberties could be taken with the storylines and how certain consequences play out--mostly because of Dan's ability to simply "erase" everything by changing a certain event in the past. However, the writers have let Dan's consequences play out normally, and the results are much more satisfying.

The portrayal of Aeden Bennett by both the young and old actors in this episode is excellent. It takes real talent to hate and feel sympathy for a character at the exact same time. You know that he is a messed up psychopath, yet seeing his backstory revealed gives the audience a much bigger insight into why he is the way he is.

The time travel aspect got even more interesting as well, with Jack finally being let in on the secret (although he has a lot more to find out). The re-appearance of Livia in the present was both surprising and influential. The investigations of the recently-discovered-to-be rogue FBI agent yielded interesting results as well. The conclusions he drew seemed to allude to the fact that someone higher up in the government has some suspicions on the subject of time travel. This should play out nicely in the episodes to come.

Basically, that's all I have to say. It will be a crying shame if this show is cancelled, because it has been so wonderful over the past few weeks, becoming one of my new favorite shows of the season (despite a slow start). Perhaps NBC will realize that it cannot let this show go, and keep it going. Either way, Journeyman has had an exceptional run.
  • "I don't see any evidence that my brother has broken any laws.""Not unless you count the laws of physics."

JOURNEYMAN is a series that gets better and better with each and every episode. Here then is the second part of the storyline which began in the previous episode "Emily". Having 'gone rogue' in that episode to prevent Aeden Bennett from kidnapping another child, Dan - and the viewer - witnesses the spectacular repercussions of his actions there.

Now released from prison, Aeden Bennet takes his revenge upon Dan in the present only for Dan to escape into the past. Whilst Dan attempts to get back from 1980 to save his family, he discovers that his past and present are about to connect in a very surprising way. These events also lead to an unexpected jump through time for Livia and an eye opening experience for Dan's brother Jack.

This was a spectacular episode in almost every way. Raphael Sbarge's portrayal of Aeden Bennett - a man who believed Dan "took six years" from him - was both haunting and sympathetic, Jack's confrontation in the lift was a definite series high point, the FBI agent's revealing dialogue about his motivation for pursuing Dan came as a surprise, and the final words of "Welcome to our life" topped off one of the most entertaining forty-five minutes of scripted drama I've seen this year.

I hope JOURNEYMAN keeps journeying. I have a feeling things are going to get even more interesting.
  • This series just keeps getting better with each new episode.

The conclusion to the previous episode brings a lesson for Dan Vasser. He continues to struggle to do the right thing and it is not always obvious what that should be.

The episode is brilliantly paced, leaping back and forth through time but all the while weaving a very tight story. Dan faces off against Aeden Bennett, serial kidnapper. The tension mounts as Aeden brings Dan's house and family under siege while Dan journeys back and witnesses the origins of such evil.

Key elements of the episode include an advancement of the subplot where Dan's brother Jack has to fend off the FBI, this time with help from Dan's boss Hugh.

This is definitely worth watching, and scores high marks for the pure adrenaline rush it provides.
  • Review

Very well put together episode with Dan tracking Bennet this time, not the girls like he was in the previous episode. We learned a little bit of what happens when Dan goes off cource. It seems that if he does what he is supposed to do then nothing about his life will be changed in that way. This time around, when he changed Aeden, nothing bad is going to happen to his family like it did in the last epsiode. I thought the episode was very well written, aside from needing to obviously give the writers a little leeway as Dan is in the past for a couple of hours and everything with his wife and Bennet happens in the span of less then an hour. Other then that though, Jack finnaly sees Livia and is stunned so I think the interactions between Jack and Dan in the next episode are going to be pretty big. I thought it was cool Livia was sent to track Jack, to save Dan. Overall, great episode...
  • This was a great episode it dealt with the consequences of too much interference in the past, brought Dan's brother into the fold, and solved the problem of the rogue FBI agent. Dan has learned that he must follow the invisible

This was a great episode it dealt with the consequences of too much interference in the past, brought Dan's brother into the fold, and solved the problem of the rogue FBI agent. Dan has learned that he must follow the invisible hand that keeps sending him to the past. If he doesn't he runs the risk of getting those closest to him. Dan is forced to face the fact that the man he hates was made that way by an abusive father and tries to help the boy. This action was well paced with Katie facing down Aeden. It was in this sequence that our pesky FBI agent was killed. Dan's brother got to see Livia which thankfully sealed the deal for him and he now believes Dan which was a great move I grew tired of the back and forth over whether Dan was crazy or not. Lots of action and making us see Aeden before he became a monster and now having a cop on Dan's side I think the story will be going great places.
  • Dan continues to track Aeden and Jack meets someone from his past.

Fabulous conclusion to last week's episode. The timing especially of this episode was fantastic, showing the opposing sides of Aeden as the small kid, locked up by his dad, and the adult Aeden, threatening Katie. Nail-biting stuff!!

I loved the irony of adult Aeden shooting Dan and young Aeden helping him treat a wound that he will cause in the future. Great writing.

Another turning point for the series is that Jack now seems convinced of what Dan's doing. I guess coming face to face and talking your dead girlfriend, or presumed dead girlfriend rather, has a way of showing you what is really going on. I loved that Livia finally interacted with Dan's present and even talked to Jack...
  • After my initial skepticism about Journeyman these last two episodes have really made up my mind. It's a fantastic show, let's hope they can keep it going.

Following on from last weeks episode - in which Dan changed history by sending a would be child killer to jail and inadvertently put his family at risk - we pick up where we left off. Aeden Bennett (the would be child killer) is waiting outside Dan's house and is set on revenge. When he first sees Dan he shoots him, but in usual Dan Vasser style he disappears into the past and goes back to Bennett's childhood. The young Bennett helps the shot Dan, who in turn tries to help him escape from his abusive father. Although seriously wounded Dan makes it back to his house in the present to find Bennett has kidnapped his wife and killed the FBI agent looking into his past, or is that his future, or maybe his present... Anyway, Dan then uses this intimate knowledge he's acquired about Bennett's past and convinces him to give himself up, thus saving his and his wife's life. There are a few other things that happen but that's the crux of it. The main point I want to make is that I'm glad I've stuck with Journeyman, because the last two episodes have been fantastic and given the series real depth. I just hope these episodes weren't flashes in the pan and the producers will capitalise on what they've done so far and make the show even stronger.
  • Have you ever seen a ghost??

I'm sure that's what Dan's brother is thinking when he sees Livia standing by the door of the newsroom. Jack is beginning to wonder what the FBI agent is up to, in fact questions him as to why is he so interested in Dan.

This episode just goes to show why interfering with events that happen in the past can affect your future. Aiden Bennett finds out that Dan is the one that turns him in and plots to kill him. Dan teleports back to when Aiden was a child and finds out why he is the way that he is. Aiden provides Dan with some medical attention which makes Dan believe that Aiden has some good qualities.

Livia tells Dan that he may be undergoing a test. What we don't know is by whom? Will Dan ever the come fact to face with the reason his jumps happen? Will they ever stop?
  • The past comes back to shoot Dan...

This was a nice episode and it flowed well off of the previous episode. I liked that it just started and went into the action right away. The actor that plays the bad guy was great and he played out the emotion of the character really well.
    Kidd played the role of the hurt hero really well and his scenes played out perfectly.
    I liked the storyline over all and thought it was a good addition to the show. (SPOILER) Having the FBI agent killed off right after all the time traveling stuff has been discovered was a little bit of a let down for me. I was looking forward to any more information he could have given seeing as he knew more about what was going on than he let on. At least that whole thing led to Dan's brother knowing the secret now. It will be nice having him available to help on missions from now on.
    I really hope that this show is given more of a chance to bloom. I'm still holding out that they will give it a full season.
  • A great conclusion from last weeks episode Emily.

Dan has begun to learn why he shouldn't mess with time's plan. He gets shot, his wife is kidnapped and a man (FBI dude) gets killed.
    At least his brother now believes him and Olivia has a new dynamic. She actually gets to exist and directly interferes with the ppl of Dan's "present".
    Also the makeup and the "aging" of characters is great. This show should win an award for makeup with how convincingly they age ppl.
    I missed the first part of this ep but I noticed that their boy seems to have random disappearances from the house. I'll just figure it's easier on the writers to just have him away till they need him.
  • Why is this show struggling?

The unfortunate truth is that "Journeyman" is a show on the ropes, and it doesn't deserve it. The first ten episodes of this show have been excellent, exploring familiar territory from a mature and satisfying perspective, and it just hasn't gotten the kind of audience that it should.

This episode provides the conclusion to "Emily", offering a number of surprises along the way. As the situation began to spiral out of control, particularly in terms of the FBI agent and Jack's personal involvement with Dan's ordeal, I was dreading the anticipated "reset button". After all, the writers had already established that changes in the past could erase knowledge in the present, and the standard solution to the complications introduced in this episode would be just that simple.

Instead, the writers took the less traveled road and let the consequences stand. Jack is now convinced that Dan is telling the truth, which provides Dan with an important ally. Tensions will no doubt continue, especially since Katie and Zach will still be negatively affected by Dan's travels, but the potential for healing and understanding is there.

Jack is also aware of the fact that the FBI agent's investigation was non-sanctioned. The implication is that someone in the government knows about the possibility of time travel and has been watching for the signs for some time. One begins to wonder if Livia has been on their radar, or if this has a specific connection to Langley's research. The bottom line is that Jack has resources to look into any inquiries, but calling on those resources could cause additional problems.

This is probably the strongest time travel scenario shown thus far, which could be a result of tying the consequences of Dan's decisions directly to his family's welfare. The paradox at the heart of the story was fun to unravel. Little details, like the constant references to time-appropriate money and the efficacy of antibiotics, added to the realistic exploration of the concept. That sort of thing is easy to miss, but it matters on a practical level.

I'm saddened by the thought that the writers won't have the chance to explore this new status quo properly. There's one episode left on the schedule, and then the network has no plans to air the final produced episode. They may choose to cancel the show entirely and release the "finale" on DVD. That would be unfortunate, because unlike some shows that have been given a recent lease on life, "Journeyman" is actually worth the time.