Journeyman Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

Journeyman DVD?

showmevideogame

[1]Dec 21, 2007
    • level: 5
    Does anyone know if there is a chance that a DVD of the aired episodes with be released? I would really love to own this masterpiece!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

copygeek

[2]Dec 21, 2007
    • level: 13
    There are rumors floating around that there won't be a DVD release, but I don't know how true it is.

RiderJetfire

[3]Dec 21, 2007
    • level: 3
    With so many devoted viewers, I don't see how NBC could not at least release it on DVD!!!

angelandspike

[4]Dec 22, 2007
    • level: 66
    I would say it's not likely since there are only 13 episodes. I think the best thing to do is write NBC/Universal and ask for them to release it, though. If enough of us request it, they might just do it.

RiderJetfire

[5]Dec 22, 2007
    13 episode not being enough? They released The Dresden Files on DVD and that only had 13 episodes. Several other shows have been released with even less episodes. Firefly only had 11 eps aired and they relased all 14 on DVD. So I say Journeyman has a pretty good chance of getting a DVD release.

mackymacaspac

[6]Dec 22, 2007
    • level: 78
    i'll be buying it in case they release one. but more than hoping for a DVD of season 1, i wish the show doesn't get cancelled.

BlandBrian

[7]Dec 22, 2007
    • level: 6
    NBC/Universal has nothing to do with a dvd release. The show is made by Fox. If you want to write and ask someone for a dvd set ask Fox.

angelandspike

[8]Dec 22, 2007
    Yes, but Firefly (fortunately) and The Dresden Files are exceptions. Most shows with so few episodes do not get released on DVD. Perhaps networks are rethinking things these days and putting them out on DVD regardless of that and the low ratings, though.

Ah ok. I didn't realize that, BlandBrian. Thank you. So it's FOX, which means it's even less likely to be released. They tend to not listen to requests from fans of a show (I know FOX owns Firefly and Wonderfalls, but they still have a tendency not to listen to what the fans want). Still, it never hurts to try.
    Edited on 12/22/2007 8:59pm

djariya

[9]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 19
    I think 13 episodes is enough for a "Complete Series" DVD. Look at a even less successful show "Point Pleasant" which got it's entire 13 episode run on DVD 2 years ago...also released by FOX.

I think it's a matter of consumer demand as well. The 13 episodes are a pretty complete story arc. Shows like Drive & Vanished won't get DVD releases because their story arcs were incomplete.

dvdkid

[10]Dec 25, 2007
    • level: 2
    Just put together a HD DVD transfer of the series commercial free. Awesome disc and great way to preserve the fandom until they come around releasing one.

angelandspike

[11]Dec 25, 2007
    Maybe you're right, djariya. Some shows, like The Inside, didn't get released on DVD even though there were enough episodes, but demand does have something to do with it too. If they think they'll sell enough DVDs to make it worth their while, they'll release it.

You're definitely right about Drive (I didn't watch Vanished). It only has 6 episodes, so I don't see that happening. At least with Journeyman there are 13 and the story has some sort of resolution.

copygeek

[12]Dec 25, 2007

djariya wrote:
    I think it's a matter of consumer demand as well. The 13 episodes are a pretty complete story arc. Shows like Drive & Vanished won't get DVD releases because their story arcs were incomplete.

Actually, Vanished had a complete (if horribly rushed) conclusion. However, it was never aired on FOX. It was only available for download from FOX's website. They reshot scenes in episodes 11-13 so that they could wrap the series and then posted those episodes on the website.

I would love to have all those episodes on DVD, though, since I didn't get a chance to download the last episodes.

showmevideogame

[13]Dec 26, 2007
    Where were you able to download the episodes at all?

This would have been nice to know a long time ago...

copygeek

[14]Dec 26, 2007

showmevideogame wrote:
    Where were you able to download the episodes at all? This would have been nice to know a long time ago...

I'm not sure I understand the question. Did you mean the ending episodes for Vanished? Like I said, I never got around to downloading them. They were only on FOX's website for a limited amount of time and I found out about it right after they took the episodes down. I thought they would eventually release the 13 episodes on DVD so I wasn't that concerned at the time. But, now it doesn't seem like the show will ever be released so I'm annoyed.

A brief (one sentence each) summary is available for each of the final episodes by going HERE. And I also learned by checking there that supposedly the final episodes DID air in other parts of the world (Latin America, at least).

Edited on 12/26/2007 1:01pm

showmevideogame

[15]Dec 27, 2007
    Oh, I thought that you had meant that you downloaded the other episodes, besides the last one that is. I had no idea that they could have been downloaded from the website...wish I would have gotten the chance!

copygeek

[16]Dec 27, 2007

showmevideogame wrote:
    Oh, I thought that you had meant that you downloaded the other episodes, besides the last one that is. I had no idea that they could have been downloaded from the website...wish I would have gotten the chance!

Actually, the last 3-4 episodes were the only ones available for download. The only reason they did that was because the fans complained that they weren't going to get to see the ending of the show.

djariya

[17]Dec 27, 2007
    Are you guys still talking about Vanished? It wasn't available for download. You could stream it online on myspace.com. Right now on hulu.com, you could watch the entire 13 episodes.

Now, enough of Vanished, this is a Journeyman forum.

knownote

[18]Dec 31, 2007

It might be difficult for there to be a dvd release. I noticed they used a lot of music to help set the moods for the different times, and they used original artsts/recordings to do so. That's almost always a sticking point in the dvd release of a tv show.It took WKRP years and years because of music rights, and in the end they ruined the relase by substituting the majority of the music.

I for one would love to see someone pick up journeyman for a 'wrap up' Tv movie, maybe on sci fi.

joe

djariya

[19]Jan 1, 2008
    Yeah the music clearance thing might be an issue. Look at a show like Cold Case that hasn't gotten a DVD release because it uses music to set the time periods. FOX might be leary on giving this a DVD release because of the money they need to spend to clear all those songs.

psibabe

[20]Jan 1, 2008
    • level: 9
    FOX released season 2 of Tru Calling on DVD and there were only SIX episodes. Frankly, I am amazed at the number of half season shows that have been put on dvd, but in the case of Journeyman, I hope they do. That would at least give us the possibility of a few special features. I wasn't going to watch this show until I knew for sure it made it a full season, but time travel always gets me interested. If they release it, I will buy it and add it to my other 1 season shows: Firefly, Tru Calling, and Wonderfalls!