JPod Forums

CBC (ended 2008)

Arrrrgh! Obnoxious series ending!

doctor_smith

[1]Apr 4, 2008
    • level: 5

I realise that the producers couldn't have known about the cancellation when the made the last episode. But still, it is thoroughly annoying to be left with a cliffhanger that will likely never be resolved.

Who want to guess how the second season would carry on?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Telkiar

[2]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 10
    However the book said so?

monkeyman717

[3]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 4
    there's still another episode coming on the 11th, or did you already see it?

lsdelirious

[4]Apr 5, 2008

yeah what did they air last night? episode #11 that was skipped last week? a repeat? more figureskating? lol

I'm in the states so I only can watch whats online...

doctor_smith

[5]Apr 5, 2008
    Hang on, is there really another episode on the 11th? The episode listing has the last one as the final episode, and it did feel like a season ender. But, if we get one more episode to wrap it up, then we can all ignore my initial complaint.

flowerdew

[6]Apr 6, 2008
    • level: 8
    Yeah...was that Colony Collapse Disorder Apr. 4 (as TV.COM says) or did it not air again? Any Canadians care to fill us in?

Aquatakat

[7]Apr 6, 2008
    doctor_smith wrote:
    Hang on, is there really another episode on the 11th? The episode listing has the last one as the final episode, and it did feel like a season ender. But, if we get one more episode to wrap it up, then we can all ignore my initial complaint.

Friday nights at 9 pm are all filled up with Hockey Night in Canada for the next few weeks, sorry.

tseczar

[8]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 3
    Episode 13, "Colony Collapse Disorder", aired on April 4th. It was the season finale. Unfortunately, it ended on a big cliffhanger. The episode hasn't been torrented or put up for streaming on the CBC website yet, but that'll no doubt happen shortly. Episode 11, "Senseless Prom Death", won't air until the summer when the whole series reruns, but is currently available for streaming from CBC's website.

lsdelirious

[9]Apr 7, 2008

seriously someone needs to post it soon.. feel like like cowboy without his smokes or tussin..

why do i feel like the CBC is punishing JPod and its fans?

doctor_smith

[10]Apr 7, 2008
    lsdelirious wrote:

seriously someone needs to post it soon.. feel like like cowboy without his smokes or tussin..

I think there's new management at the CBC who hate all Canadians. Right after screwing over jPod, they screwed over the curling fans. The Men's World Championship is on right now, and just after buying up all the broadcast rights and having record viewership for the Women's World Championship, they decided that they will only show the final game! They hate there sports fans, there drama fans, and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they cancel the news and comedies too. (ok, ranting done)

lsdelirious

[11]Apr 9, 2008

cliffhanger indeed! As pissed as I am I'll probably never find out what (would) happen in season 2, it definitely feels like a truer jPod ending than some quickly rewritten sappy happy ever after finale...

always leave 'em wanting more right?

Rexxx_

[12]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 4
    lsdelirious wrote:

cliffhanger indeed! As pissed as I am I'll probably never find out what (would) happen in season 2, it definitely feels like a truer jPod ending than some quickly rewritten sappy happy ever after finale...

always leave 'em wanting more right?

That's very true actually. It would feel very un-jPod-ish to end perfectly how we all would want it. But it still feels kinda like torture for the fans.

I heard a rumour that after the playoffs are done on CBC, they're going to re-air the series again. So more oppurtunity to harrass CBC for more jPod?

lsdelirious

[13]Apr 12, 2008

They would be stupid not to re-air season 1, I mean after all they've already paid to make them, might as well get their money's worth right? They might try a different time slot and see if that works better...

And why the hell are they firewalling Americans from watching episodes on the cbc website?? I have tons of friends I've told JPod about but since they don't understand how to use bittorrent they have no way of watching - The CBC says not enough people are watching JPod at the same time they're actively blocking out millions of potential viewers...

Edited on 04/12/2008 11:39am

pzelnip

[14]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 2
    Rexxx_ wrote:

That's very true actually. It would feel very un-jPod-ish to end perfectly how we all would want it. But it still feels kinda like torture for the fans.

The cliffhanger didn't bother me so much as the fact it was just a poor episode.

(MAJOR Spoiler alert -- do not read on if you haven't watched the episode yet)

The whole idea that Babette is a super-sophiticated AI built out of snippets of random code left on the servers from prior NA employees that attempts to kill Kaitlin out of a jealous rage was just way too out there. That really left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I've always liked the fact that much of Jpod (and Coupland's writing in general) is fairly tech-savvy, but c'mon, the whole Babette-psycho-AI story is just ludicrous.

doctor_smith

[15]Apr 13, 2008

I actually quite liked what they did with Babette. It's a cute satire on HAL from 2001.

lsdelirious

[16]Apr 14, 2008
    I didn't mind babette being AI so much, but I did feel the coma part was a bit of a TV cliche... lol seriously people get knocked unconscious; people suffocate and die... but how often do people really slip into comas?!?

doctor_smith

[17]Apr 15, 2008

lsdelirious wrote:
    I didn't mind babette being AI so much, but I did feel the coma part was a bit of a TV cliche... lol seriously people get knocked unconscious; people suffocate and die... but how often do people really slip into comas?!?

I wouldn't call that a `coma', but rather a short-term loss of consciousness, which is a common symptom of oxygen deprivation. Though, typically, consciousness returns in a few minutes as oxygen returns to the body, particularly the brain. This is distinguished from a coma, which is a long-term loss of consiousness. From the medical standpoint, yes, a person could be squeezed unconscious. Death from suffocation requires a full deprivation of oxygen from the lungs, where a short deprivation or a partial deprivation is not likely to cause death. Sorry, that's a bit too much science nerdery for this late in the night.

lsdelirious

[18]Apr 15, 2008
    lol I totally forgot Douglas Coupland has a book "Girlfriend in a Coma"
    Edited on 04/15/2008 1:20am

luthien44

[19]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 6
    doctor_smith wrote:
    lsdelirious wrote:

I think there's new management at the CBC who hate all Canadians. Right after screwing over jPod, they screwed over the curling fans. The Men's World Championship is on right now, and just after buying up all the broadcast rights and having record viewership for the Women's World Championship, they decided that they will only show the final game! They hate there sports fans, there drama fans, and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they cancel the news and comedies too. (ok, ranting done)

Don't forget what they have done to CBC radio too, they obviously hate classical music lovers too