JPod

I Love Turtles

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Jan 08, 2008 on CBC

• The jPod must deal with the silly ideas of their new management.

Things begin during a period of change for the jPod. The main characters all work at a computer-gaming company and were placed in a work team because each of their surnames begins with a "J", hence the "jPod". We are given a very appropriate introduction to each of the characters via an introduction video for the "new boss guy". Every character shows themselves to be quirky and charming. Ethan Jarlewski (David Kopp) is our protagonist, a very normal individual in a sea of dysfunction. But the great thing about Ethan is that, though he complains incessantly, it's possible that he is, in fact, revelling in the chaos. As it turns out, "new boss guy" wants to force his brilliant ideas onto the jPod's new video game design in an attempt to win the affection of the son of his failed marriage. As we learn briefly of the lives of the jPod members, Ethan's life becomes stranger and stranger. A dead drug dealer needs to be buried in the woods, an old classmate eats his mother's prize marijuana plant, and Chinese refugees take shelter in his apartment. The show is true to Douglas Coupland's sardonic style and combines elements of both "Arrested Development" and "The Office". "I Love Turtles" is the first instalment in what may be a very watchable show for CBC.