We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

How litigants are paid

milly44

[1]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 1

We watch the show all the time and were curious how exactly the litigants get paid, especially the losing defendants. There's a disclaimer at the end of credits which says all litigants are paid from a fund by the producers, or something similar. But, it does not get into any detail and neither does the Judy Judy web site. Sone of these litigants are real jerks and we wanted to know, for example, if the losing defendant got some money even though he/she lost.

So, we wrote emails asking precisely how the money is awarded. We got a reply describing only what happens with the plaintiff. All questions regarding defendant awards were ignored. We emailed back 3 times and never got any response. We thought that was pretty rude and still don't understand why they didn't tell us anything.

I suppose I could see if they think we're trying to pull a scam, but they didn't even bother to tell us that. We have also been unable to even find a phone number for Big Ticket Productions to ask them directly. Seems like they're hiding.

Anyone know how defendants are awarded? Anyone know how to get a hold of the production company? Searches on the net yield no viable results. Even called CBS in New York - the number they had for Big Ticket was disconnected.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Thentwal

[2]Jan 24, 2008
    • level: 3
    Correct me if i am wrong but I believe there is a standing rule in network television that if it is a non-news show and a person speaks at least five words than they get $800 dollars.

soldierzwife143

[3]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 10
    milly44 wrote:

We watch the show all the time and were curious how exactly the litigants get paid, especially the losing defendants. There's a disclaimer at the end of credits which says all litigants are paid from a fund by the producers, or something similar. But, it does not get into any detail and neither does the Judy Judy web site. Sone of these litigants are real jerks and we wanted to know, for example, if the losing defendant got some money even though he/she lost.

So, we wrote emails asking precisely how the money is awarded. We got a reply describing only what happens with the plaintiff. All questions regarding defendant awards were ignored. We emailed back 3 times and never got any response. We thought that was pretty rude and still don't understand why they didn't tell us anything.

I suppose I could see if they think we're trying to pull a scam, but they didn't even bother to tell us that. We have also been unable to even find a phone number for Big Ticket Productions to ask them directly. Seems like they're hiding.

Anyone know how defendants are awarded? Anyone know how to get a hold of the production company? Searches on the net yield no viable results. Even called CBS in New York - the number they had for Big Ticket was disconnected.

My brother got something in the mail from the show after a claim was filed against him in his county and it said that he would be paid for flight, hotel, and food but nothing about if he lost. But since the plaintiff would have been paid from the show, if he did loose, then I guess that would be enough money. It wouldn't cost him anything even if he lost.

He didn't do it though.