While at the doctors I watched her . . .

bmoshier

[1]Sep 14, 2011
    • level: 47

Hi,

While in the doctor's waiting room, I watch this Judge rule on a case. I just don't understand her ruling.

In it she says that no one can legally agree to be assaulted. Period and no exceptions exist. She then went on to berate the guy for not knowing this fact of the law.

OK, I can accept that and even agree it makes sense. EXCEPT for the fact I can think of several times when it seems legal to assault another person. Some examples:

1) Boxing -- The state of NV controls boxing. If boxing is illegal (given people are hitting / assaulting each other) then isn't the boxing commission and other (Governor down to the venues) running a criminal enterprise?

2) Military - As she said no one can agree for another person to assault them - period. During basic training and at other times military persons get assaulted. Again is the US Military / DOD running a criminal enterprise? If so, why aren't the Generals and other officers in the brig or stockade?

3) Parents - Many send their kids to martial arts class.

4) Parents, coaches, and school administrators - Sports - Football and other sports end up having "assaults." Kids can even die during some sporting events. So, why aren't they all in jail for assault and running a criminal enterprise.

Her ruling in this case may be right, but the reasoning she gave to those listening on TV and in the court didn't make sense and if her ruling doesn't make sense, maybe her ruling doesn't either.

Maybe her mind isn't all there any longer. It wouldn't be the first time a judge stayed too long on the bench because the people around him or her protected the judge. As I say this was the first time I heard her and a ruling and it makes this "reasonable" person wonder about her.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bmoshier

[2]Sep 14, 2011
    • level: 47

I was talking to a friend and he asked about the medical profession. Isn't that full of assaults to which people agree? Examples:

1) Flu shot: Isn't agreeing for a nurse to stick you with a needle a form of agreeing to being assaulted for your own good? Not just the shoot, but then the battle within your body for it to learn to fight the flu?

2) A friend of ours had to have his leg (from the knee down) removed because of circulation problems. Isn't that an agreed to assault?

3) What about any surgery? Aren't they a form of agreed to assault?

Anyway, Judge Judy in this case didn't make a good first impression.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.