Judge Mathis

Weekdays on Premiered Sep 13, 1999 In Season

Judge Mathis Fan Reviews (1440)

7.8
  • You make me laugh!

Would like to say that Judge Mathis is great, made my day today. Loves how he messes with people. Please keep them coming.

Kenneth R Ledford
  • Appalled!

As I'm trying to wrap my head around what I just saw while watching this show, it hits me that this is a big part of what's wrong with our appalling and questionable legal system in our "free country!" The law is SUPPOSED to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt through the finding of evidence, with the defendant being innocent until PROVEN guilty. First off, this is rarely the case. Most people fight for their lives trying to prove their innocence against circumstantial evidence that should never be allowed in court. In some cases, Judge Mathis seems to already have his mind made up before the litigants have reached the podium and stated their names. On this particular episode, a gentleman (of whom Judge Mathis has apparently already pre-judged) is being sued by his parents for a $248 loan. He admits he's an addict, and its obvious that this is what the claim is really about. At one point, Judge Mathis asks the defendant why he never repayed his parents the $248. He admits, which I personally know how hard this is to do, that his drug use prevented him from coming up with the money. Judge Mathis then says, "Are you still on drugs? Obviously you're still on drugs!" The defendant states, "I have 30 days clean today, your honor!" The audience begins to clap, and anyone who has been addicted knows what an achievement this is, when Judge Mathis reprimandingly says, "Now hold on, don't clap! 30 days ain't that long to be clean!" WTF?!? I was completely disgusted! Who is he to say that 30 days of sobriety isn't a notable achievement? Everyday sober is a victory! I can't fathom what makes this man feel so righteous. It's absurd! On top of that, he denys the defendants counter claim, in which he was sueing for emotional distress from the abuse he suffered throughout his life. Earlier in the show, Judge Mathis acknowledged that he was in fact emotionally abused when the defendant provided text messages from his father. Why was this counter claim denied, when 2 shows earlier a similar situation was brought to the court in which a woman was sueing her sister for emotional distress because she helped her niece escape her abusive mother? The distress in that case was actually toward the defendants niece, and the aunt was granted her counter claim for helping the child. She wasn't even the direct recipient of the abuse! The gentleman in this case was horribly ridiculed based upon the father's religious and personal beliefs, the poor guy asking, "Why do you hate me, dad?", after the father saying many other horrible things. Personally, I think his claim was denied because, and if you watch the episode you'll see what I'm talking about, Judge Mathis made up his mind way before the evidence was heard that the poor guy was just another addict and of no use to society. I will say that Judge Mathis did say that he would get the gentleman help for his addiction, but it was stated in such manner to suggest he was locking the guy up, getting this guy off the streets before he hurts someone else. It didn't seem like he actually cared what happened to the guy, it was apparent that he was disgusted by him. EVERY PERSON ON THIS PLANET IS A HUMAN BEING AND DESERVES TO BE TREATED AS SUCH! Too many Judges are filled with prejudices that they should not bring into a court of law. I see that many of these reviews make comment to the possibility of Judge Mathis being racist and a biggot who favors women. The gentleman in this episode was white, and the defendant in the other episode I reffered to about the counted claim was a black woman. Make your own assumptions and judgements.
  • Bad Judge

This so called "judge" is nothing more than a racist bully. He totally ignores the law and rules for whomever he likes best. He will always rule in favor of a woman over a man and a black person over a white person. I fail to understand why anyone would go on this show to be humiliated by this thug.
  • I have power

I used to like him but anymore he's rude, arrogant, judgmental, and belittles people. He's horrible and exhibits typical behaviors in our system. He's already chosen sides when initially reading the case(how it appears). I think it's sad and shouldn't be glorified on TV.
  • Thanks for the change

5.5
    I was getting so tired of all the drug litegants. That was all they talked about and how they would bash the other person when they both did the same thing. That had nothing to do with the case and should not of even been brought up. Your new season has much less so far and I hope it stays that way. I feel you need to deal with the facts not everyone's dirty laundry. I will also say If I ever was in front of you and had to deal with your mocking and belitering the litegants I would walk out, I would not be going there for that. I would loose my case but I have more dignity for myself than being treated that way.
  • 8-25-2015 GREGORY VS. GREGORY

Judge Mathis, I just watched this segment. I normally do not watch this type of program, but something caught my attention as I was channel surfing. I have a MS degree in Psychology and in Social Work with a specialization in abusive relationships. In this case I totally disagree with you. Any woman who have been abused and constantly harassed by a man (her husband or other) is either living in la la land or totally stupid to give that man a reason to continue to contact her. If you don't know this and you are a judge in TX. You need to be educated, very very badly on this and stop putting women in such a dangerous position by your lack of education. As I hope you know Tarrant county was the leading county in TX and in the US for abusive relationships in the 90s and that is when Tarrant county took a stand to educate and to get these abusers psy help and punishment (when it was called for). It would do you well to speak with some of the Tarrant County local educators in this area of abusive you said and your judgments are setting women back a good 25 - 50 years and in turn causing men to feel they can be abusive and say and do anything to get what they want. This is so wrong I can't believe that someone of your stature on TV would say or do something like this. You personally are responsible for selling back women's right to not be abused or harassed by their husbands or boyfriends or by any man. What you have done is down right criminal and if you can't do the right thing by people you should not be on TV, nor should you be a judge! You are harming not only women, but their children and the men too for that matter! I for one will call the program and make a formal complaint.
  • 03-16-2015,,white man spittin and kicking police

it is disgusting to hear a tv celebrity ,especially, a supposedly a self proclaimed REAL judge... i have watched Mathis several years till now,,you never made a reference to a supposedly difference in the way the races are treated till to day ,,,guess your still a thug at heart ,,you are as is Obama , in positions to help mend differences,,but you both choose to keep it pumped up and turmoil I know you don't care about my opinion but you were a very large disappointment to me today ,actually a person that i had a lot of respect for until today,,promoting racism on national tv,,bad karma is not a good thing,,support the police ,,you might need one one day,,,
  • son sueing mother for non payment of rent

I think the judge mathis show is a joke, my husband watches this crap, first of all I don't like judge mathis he's a arrogant wanna be snob, how dare him talk to people the way he does, you wanna be need to learn to talk to people instead you sit in your high chair and ridicule people calling people prostitutes and crack heads, why does this tv network allow him to treat peopl the way he does, if this how your network get there ratings up your show should be cancelled, I'm furious the network allows this man to do this, he holler at individuals like there his children calling them out there names and when they try to defend there selves he gets mad and dismiss there claim and thats not rigjt , you people sit there and watch these shows and uphold his wrong, I hate this saying when black people have authority they abuse it and it hurts me to say that but judge mathis show is a prime example
  • I love the Judge Mathis Show

I truly love the judge Mathis show he let the truth be known and when to be serious durning a case he does have his funny moments I am a faithful vewier I watch the show every day. When judge Mathis tells something of his life struggles a lot of people need to hear his stories to help them in there time of need what judge mathis has endured and became letting nothing or no one stop him is wonderful overcomming the dealing of his mother in and out of jail let's you know that you can become anything you want with determination and heard work. I enjoy listening to his stories, his like and dislikes. Judge Mathis makes a difference to many people on and off TV one thing I know is that you can't please everyone I think those are the negative ones. You are a steppingstone to many people and is truly loved by many continue to do the things you are doing making a difference. I have saw you giving and helping without any remorse. Continue to give your blessings continuetobeblessed inyour life.

I only wish that I could see you on person I've watched on TV from the very first day to this day no matter what I love you for each and every thing that you do to make a difference in many people lives.

Sincerely, Evat Glenn

word of the day: holiday 11/12/2014
  • Word of the Day

Togetherness 11/11/2014
  • Word of the day

Word of the day: forgiveness 11/11/2014
  • scripted

Ok so I have been waiting until I received my $2500 check from Judge Mathis before I wrote this review I was almost skeptical about the check but believe it or not I received it within 30 days like I was told!!! Other than that I'm about to break it down for all y'all fans out and foremost it seems like they are really thirsty for cases I sent in my case and a few days later the producer called me and basically told me I had a good case that I was sure to win and it was a win win situation for paid me and the person (my ex boyfriend) that I sued a $300 appearance fee usually they pay it after the show but I stressed that I was not coming out of pocket for anything in Chicago and I didn't want to be stranded in the hotel all night the one night I'm in Chicago for the first time so the producer agreed to give me half up front when I arrived at my hotel so the next week after initially talking to the producer she had talked my ex into going on the show and had my flight info and hotel info already booked I took my current boyfriend with me cause shit why not lol they paid for him as this is when things got a little fishy for me this is when I started to see the fakeness because when I asked to have my b/f go she said "yes we can make up something that makes him important in the case" I was still excited hell why wouldn't I be free trip to Chicago with my love plus I get paid to go on top of that I supposedly had an air tight case and he had nothing on me supposedly and if I won I would get paid within 30 days so like the producer said it was a win win for everyone (I guess)! So we fly to Chicago it was a really short flight get to the Chicago airport go to baggage claim and there is a man holding a sign with my name we get into a really nice was expecting limo but the navi was nice by the way the producer wants you to call and check in every time u get to a airport ugh so we were taken to the Hard Rock Hotel in downtown Chicago had a very easy fast check in went to the room which was very basic but nice can't complain I went back downstairs to meet with one of the judge Mathis girls not the producer and we basically went over the evidence that I had already sent over to them and she also showed me " my statement" which I never wrote and actual statement I'm assuming she took notes as I spoke to her multiple times about the case and put together her own elaborate version of my statement but it was kinda funny to me I felt super confident so I went with it I got half of my money $150 and went back upstairs and got ready to see Chicago! When u check in you receive a $30 gift card per person for the nice restaurant in the hotel really good BTW we ate there its called Chuck's I believe the chef won master chef or something but after eating we scored some great pot from one of the waiters smoked a little while walking around underground downtown chicago be carful if u do this I was with my man and very aware of our surroundings after we got high we went to the pink pony its a strip club in downtown Chicago and it was horrible compared to Memphis strip clubs (even after the new rules) no smoking no nudity and no alcohol like how is that a strip club o well we got drunk and went back to the hotel ( u can bring your own bottle they sell liqour everywhere in Chicago).... We had to be at the lobby of the hotel at 7am I'm not a morning person I was late more like 730am took us to the NBC tower we went thru medal detectors and had our bags taken and locked up in a cage thing and put into a room with a bunch of other "litigants" with a table with snacks (free food my favorite part) the producer comes in makes u sign paper work saying basically its entertainment purposes only then the flamboyant wardrobe man comes and looks you up and down and tells you what you need to change and brings you what he wants you to wear not what u want he was trying to dress my man and it wasn't going to well he eventually backed off and they agreed on something then I was taken to hair and makeup I can't lie they are awesome had me looking Like Americas next top model lol then was taken into a small room with just me and my man the producer came in and started telling me how it was going to go and what I needed to say and how I needed to say it she gave me exact words even wrote down what she wanted me to say to start my case and even practiced Like she was the judge and told me to have more attitude and interupt and said I had it in the bag well it was time to go on the show I was so nervous my legs were shaking I walked in the court room and a camera was in my face for like 6 minutes which was so awkward for me the defendant and my witness (current b/f) was already in the court room there are cameras all over the court room in the walls behind judge Mathis well court started I began talking and was immediately cut off by the judge even when the defendant tried to tell his story he was cut off by the judge he seems like he likes the spot light a lot well to end my long review I was thrown under the bus I was told I had it in the bag but the defendant ended up having some BS and said it was me well I had proof that those things weren't true but he wouldn't listen to me and took off $1,200 from my suit and awarded me with the $2,500 and the defendant $1,000 for his lies I was made a fool by the judge and by the lies that were told yea it was a good payday and a free trip but don't think it was worth it case has not aired yet I'm scared to death they edit the crap out of it and make me look worse!! Anywyas just wanted to let y'all know how it really goes and I promise its super scripted they set me up for failure!!!!
  • Really?!

I started watching Judge Mathis when Judge Alex got cancelled and now I'm done. Can't take it anymore after yesterday's show. This man lacks basic civility. When he starts 'screaming & spitting', the litigants can't get a word in and they better not try or else they will be thrown out! I understand that there are some underlying truths that we, the audience, are not privy to; because we have not read the paperwork submitted by the litigants. However, that being the case, it would be nice if we would be made aware prior to some of the rulings that are made. I was stunned after yesterday's ruling when the Defendant lied about his signature and was still rewarded. Normally, JM's stance on catching someone in a lie is 'I can't believe anything you say now because you have hurt your However, he was awarded the same as the Plaintiff because she 'went to his job' to collect her money after he dodged her and she had no other way of getting in touch with her. The Defendant had done his homework and knew to say he lost his job as a result of the Plaintiff. He, obviously, did something most people don't do before they go on these shows: Research. I also don't care for the way he brags about his access to famous people. I was watching one day and he told one of the litigants not to compare himself to Ludicris because Ludicris is a 'good Really? A rich man who doesn't pay his child support is a good man but a poor man without the means to pay is judged differently? I am from Detroit and JM is all the rage. However, I am not impressed by ANYYONE who can't control himself enough to be civil when communicating with people. It wouldn't cost him anything and I don't find it entertaining. You'd think someone had violently attacked him the way he acts. So personal. I'll miss you, Doyle.
  • A REAL JUDGE???

I am sad to say that I find Judge Mathis not indicative of a "real" judge. He doesn't come across as knowing the law. At the very least he doesn't communicate what the law says well. His decisions appear to be based on what he thinks or feels and not what the law dictates. A little bit too much buffonery takes any seriousness out of the show. He is very lucky to have been given this opportunity because he is just not someone I have confidence in his judicial decisions. Sorry Judge Mathis. Thumbs Down!
  • I like the judge Mathis show!!

I THINK HE IS A GOOD LOOKING BLACK MAN AND just DOING HIS job . DONT HATE ,enjoy the show.
  • no family show

i used to enjoy your show. but not anymore. every time that i tune in, the people before you have a sleazy story 2 tell. most of the time it has nothing to do with the case. you claim that its a 'family show' but you do nothing to stop it. you even encourage it. then there's doyle with his constant flirting, even though hes a married man. i found myself changing the channel when my 10yr. old daughter would walk into the room. you are a fist fight away from becoming the 'springer/mathis hour. im done watching. ill stick to judge judy, & the peoples court. they dont have to resort to such tactics for good ratings. im sure that people in the projects & prisons will still watch you.
  • whitbeckmema

Tuesday November 26th the word is bounty
  • Word of the Day

The word of the day is "BOUNTY"
  • word of the day

word of the day is PLENTY

word of the day PLENTY
  • word of the day

The word of today is plenty
  • Word of the Day!!!!!

November 20th Word of the Day is Joy. Hope to win!!!!!!!!!!!
  • word for today is togetherness

Word for today is togetherness. On tuesday, November 19, 2013
  • Word of the day

holiday
  • Truth

It's a shame some people are not able to handle their problems on their own. I guess this is why we have judges and therapists! The word for today Friday November 15th is humility!
  • Word of Day

5.5
    Fairness don't know where else to put word of day it says to log on to here.
  • Word of the day: Trust

Love Judge Mathis. A fair, experienced, compassionate man.
  • word of the day Nov.13

Trust is the word of the day.
  • Nov.13, 2013

Love the show

Trust is the word of the day.