Justice League Unlimited

Destroyer (2)

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM May 13, 2006 on Cartoon Network

• A darn good action packed series finale that left me wanting more. Here is a series that went out while still on top of its game. Hopefully, it won't be the last we hear of the Justice League.

Like a true series finale, it tries to give every character a moment in the spotlight. Even the villians were given a moment of redemption. However, this one really boiled down to a showdown involving the leading men of the DCAU (Superman, Batman and Lex Luthor) pitted against Darkseid - the DCAU's very own version of the Prince of Darkness. The ending did not surprise me. I knew that the writers of this series would leave things open ended keeping alive the hope that the Justice League, in one form or another, would return to fight the never ending battle.
    The one part of the episode that's keeps echoing in my mind is the rant Superman goes into during his one on one with Darkseid: "I've never really been able to cut loose for fear of really damaging someone but you can take it big boy." I couldn't help but feel that maybe the writers were really talking to their audience. Let's face it, the current trend in DC Comics land is to be more violent, darker and certainly more "adult". Even though the original Justice League episodes (seasons 1 and 2) were written in a somewhat lighter vain, JLU introduced story arcs which dealt with much more complexity and forced the characters of the show to take on real personalities complete with doubt, righteousness, fear, anger, and on occasion even love. That's what made this series great. Not only did we have great action, we had great "interaction" that brought these animated characters to life.

Thanks again to the series creators. I hope you guys get back to work on something real soon.
CW