Justice League Unlimited

Double Date

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Jun 04, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• There’s an intense amount of action present, as well as great dialogue, character interaction and great animation to back it up.

One of the darker elements of the story was Huntress’s origin. While they didn’t show her parents dieing, combined with Question’s voice over and the visuals we see, it was a rather chilling thing to watch. You get a bit of a Kill Bill Vol. 1 vibe from the flashback, which is similar in the placing of the little girl. Both stories show the little girl witnessing the death of her parents, only, obviously, Kill Bill does it in an extremely gratuitous way, where Justice League Unlimited couldn’t (and I don’t think would have anyway), so it was all off-screen. Perhaps I’m drawing arrows between two things that are unrelated, but the scenes just felt somewhat similar, with, again, the violence aside. Mandagora in himself is a rather interesting character. He reminds you of Albino from Batman Beyond’s “Mind Games”, although in appearances only. However, in addition to talking, this one is a lot tougher than Mr. Albino; that’s not body fat Mandagora’s carrying, he’s complete muscle. He withstood Canary's scream (including his pants! They must be made of his body) and he gave Arrow, Question and Huntress quite a work out. And now the more I look at him, he kind of looks like Ozzy Osbourne…

There are really no qualms I have with the episode. It’s got a really nice presentation, great characters and some hilarious dialogue. The voice actor for Question also deservers another kudos—his “Bored now, go away” had great delivery. Great episode all around and highly recommended.