Justice League Unlimited

Flashpoint

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Jul 02, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• Status quo threatening episode where the heroes lose control of their Watchtower weapon, and are considered enemies of the U.S. government. Problems with traditional versus new character personalities, but the episode is well-written and suspenseful.

Wow. JLU is getting better than ever, they are really threatening to shake up the status quo with some crazy developments and fears. I knew the government and Cadmus sub-plots were building up the whole season, and the climax that this episode is coming up to is executed well.

I gasped when the JLU space cannon was about to discharge, and no one could do anything to stop it. The shots of the people enjoying the day, Superman's futile attempt, and the real life devastation that such a blast would cause were done well. I really felt the drama and effect of the JLU losing control of their ultimate weapon.

The last part with the origin of Power Girl tied into the Supergirl clone, is I think a great revision, as Kara's true past is mired in continuity landmines. The JLU is going to have an epic fight on their hands.

My only gripe is with the characterization of Superman, as somewhat of a hard-hitting John Wayne type of brute, who hit first and asks questions later. In my head he always represents the noble heart of America, who tries to always do things the right and just way first. He would be the last one to resort to dirty measures. In some ways that somewhat leftist attitude suits him, because he's so strong, capable, and powerful that he is allowed that luxury of idealism (in comparison to the right leaning Batman), and he usually proves himself right. I could see how they could have changed up the story a bit, with Superman as the ideal head and clashing with the other heroes, struggling to change their minds, and lead them as a group. I always thought that would be his role. But the JLU incarnation though not as faithful to the Superman tradition, is at least accessible and executed well for new viewers. If I didn't know Superman as a character previously, I could buy that a big, strong guy like him would be more into busting heads and taking action, than worrying about what the ideal just action would be.

Can't wait to see where this whole arc, building for the past two seasons, is going to end up. These past two seasons, though sometimes uneven, are amazing for their creativity, and the willingness of the writers to push the boundaries and really threaten to shake the status quo.