Justice League Unlimited Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Any chance that Marvel and DC would work together?

  • Avatar of JLU51306

    JLU51306

    [1]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 01/19/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 870

    Would DC and Marvel work together to make a movie, comic book or a game?

    Edited on 04/06/2007 11:25pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Shayera-Hol

    Shayera-Hol

    [2]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 11/22/06
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 15,004
    I don't think so. DC and Marvel are very different, and why DC need Cyclops when they have Superman, or Jean Grey when they have Martian Manhunter? Remember how the Sentinel beat X-mens in "Day of Reckoning"? (Well, they would have lost completely if not for the Brotherhood helping them). In the JLU episode "Divided We Fall", the original 7 took down the gigantic Brainiac ship in ten seconds; it was larger than the Sentinel, although admittedly less mobile.
    Edited on 04/07/2007 12:36am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JLU51306

    JLU51306

    [3]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 01/19/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 870

    I just wish that Marvel and DC would work together and they could and most likely would put out some awesome comic books, movies, shows, and video games, If they would work together it would be the best thing Marvel and DC have done except create cool heroes and villians IMO.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Shayera-Hol

    Shayera-Hol

    [4]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 11/22/06
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 15,004
    JLU51306 wrote:

    I just wish that Marvel and DC would work together and they could and most likely would put out some awesome comic books, movies, shows, and video games, If they would work together it would be the best thing Marvel and DC have done except create cool heroes and villians IMO.



    Yeah, I know you wish that, but this will never happen.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JLU51306

    JLU51306

    [5]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 01/19/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 870
    If Marvel and DC would relize that if they worked together they could make 2x times the amount of money and it good for the consumers that by all there products, but like you said that would never happen, if they did work together they could make some cool stuff.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Martiangrl

    Martiangrl

    [6]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 08/20/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,037

    Well, Marvel and DC did do a crossover with the JLA and the Avengers in the comics, so it isn't completely impossible.

    http://vu.morrissey-solo.com/moz/perez/info/jla-avengers1.htm

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Shayera-Hol

    Shayera-Hol

    [7]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 11/22/06
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 15,004
    Martiangrl wrote:

    Well, Marvel and DC did do a crossover with the JLA and the Avengers in the comics, so it isn't completely impossible.

    http://vu.morrissey-solo.com/moz/perez/info/jla-avengers1.htm



    There are still hopes for you JLU51306.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Blackstar-

    -Blackstar-

    [8]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 6,000
    DC and Marvel have collaborated on comic books such as the Amalgam Comics series, but a DC/Marvel crossover on television or in the movies would be next to impossible. The DC and Marvel media productions are all owned by different studios. And getting rival companies to work together is like pulling teeth; very hard!
    Edited on 04/07/2007 8:31am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 21chewbakka21

    21chewbakka21

    [9]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 02/08/07
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 6,075

    I think it has some possibility. There was an X-men an Teen Titans crossover for example.

    And comics-book based movies make nowadays lots of profit! I think money talks louder then any rivalry.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Blackstar-

    -Blackstar-

    [10]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 6,000

    Chewie, many, many people would love to see Disney and Warner Brothers join forces and create a super cartoon show. And many game fans would absolutely wet themselves at the prospect of a Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat crossover video game, but neither is ever going to happen. And stop bringing up the X-Men/Teen Titans crossover. That only happened in the COMICS. How many DC/Marvel crossovers have there been on TV or in the movies? Answer: NONE.

    Do you honestly believe that DC and Marvel would put aside their decades long rivalry and just say "Heck with it! Let's forget about the legalities and different competing ownership rights and giant egos and mutually decide on 1 style and 1 storytelling motif and bring all of our different writing teams together to work on one awesome series/movie!"? You're more likely to get crushed by a falling meteorite than you are of seeing this happen in your lifetime. The amount of money that would need to be spent on legal/ownership rights for use of certain characters and companies by other companies would outweigh any amount of profit that would be made from such a project.

    Look, it's a great fantasy, but a fantasy is all that it is. Waiting for a DC/Marvel crossover TV show or movie is like leaving the porch light on for Jimmy Hoffa. Fruitless.

    Edited on 04/07/2007 10:02am
    Edited 8 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Silverstar-

    -Silverstar-

    [11]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 7,266
    21chewbakka21 wrote:

    I think it has some possibility. There was an X-men an Teen Titans crossover for example.

    And comics-book based movies make nowadays lots of profit! I think money talks louder then any rivalry.



    And lawyers talk even louder.

    Blackstar is correct: There have numerous DC/Marvel crossovers over the years (DC VS Marvel, Teen Titans meets X-Men, JLA meets Avengers, Green Lantern meets the Silver Surfer, etc.), but these have all happened in the comics, and even then, they have been few and far between. However, A Marvel/DC collaborative movie, TV show or video game just isn't going to happen. The various DC and Marvel TV and movie projects are all owned by different people and different companies. It's not like there's just one studio who puts out all of Marvel's stuff and one which puts out all of DC's. There's contracts, commitments, networks, producers, directors, actors and egos to consider.

    Let's play hypothetical for a moment: say, somebody wanted to do a crossover movie or TV show. Say, X-Men meets the Justice League. First, they'd have to decide whether it was going to be the Marvel guys in the DC universe or vice-versa, which itself would result in a clash of egos. Next, they'd have to secure the film rights from 20th Century Fox (who handled the X-Men movies) and the studios responsible for the various DC features, which itself would be next to impossible. Then what if they couldn't get Hugh Jackman to play Wolverine because he's already committed to another project, or they couldn't secure the legal rights to Superman? Then what if Marvel wanted to have Cyclops eye-blast Darksied, canceling out his Omega beams, but DC said "No way!" or DC wanted Batman to whale on Juggernaut, but Marvel said something like, "We'll only let Superman beat Juggernaut!" And what if the Marvel writers wanted to have Wonder Woman start a romance with Iceman, but a DC comics writer said, "No! I'm planning to have Diana marry Aquaman in the upcoming spring issue?" And what if DC and Marvel had different contractual obligations to separate video game companies; then who'd make the game based on the movie? And what if someone wanted to do this DC/Marvel crossover as a TV series on Fox, but DC had a 7-year commitment to only produce shows for the CW? You see what I'm getting at.

    There are just too many factors preventing such crossovers. A DC/Marvel crossover TV show, movie or game is a nice dream, but unfortunately that's all it is, unless DC and Marvel were to permanently merge into one single studio, which, unless one were to SERIOUSLY hit the skids and get bought out by the other, seems highly unlikely at this stage. It's like waiting for a single game console that plays every video game ever made: a nice fantasy, but a virtual impossibility.
    Edited on 04/07/2007 10:13am
    Edited 6 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 21chewbakka21

    21chewbakka21

    [12]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 02/08/07
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 6,075

    Okey Star bros, calm down :

    1. I never was good in bureaucracy. Honestly i DO NOT care about it...

    2. I never said it is going to happen, i just said, money talks... True isn't it?

    3. I'm not drooling around like this: "DC+Marvel, oh my God i can't wait". I can live my life without seeing Wolverine beats the sh*t out Robin in a movie or something like that. I just gived my opinion...

    4. Lemme tell you 30 or even 20 years ago nobody believed once the "great" SovietUnion will fall (my country was sadly part of it...) but it thankfully did. I think there was a bit bigger amount of money and ego and everything on it, but it is just happened. So what?

    yours sincerely:

    21chewbakka21 alias the joker!

    Edited on 04/07/2007 12:53pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JLU51306

    JLU51306

    [13]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 01/19/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 870
    -Silverstar- wrote:
    21chewbakka21 wrote:

    I think it has some possibility. There was an X-men an Teen Titans crossover for example.

    And comics-book based movies make nowadays lots of profit! I think money talks louder then any rivalry.



    And lawyers talk even louder.

    Blackstar is correct: There have numerous DC/Marvel crossovers over the years (DC VS Marvel, Teen Titans meets X-Men, JLA meets Avengers, Green Lantern meets the Silver Surfer, etc.), but these have all happened in the comics, and even then, they have been few and far between. However, A Marvel/DC collaborative movie, TV show or video game just isn't going to happen. The various DC and Marvel TV and movie projects are all owned by different people and different companies. It's not like there's just one studio who puts out all of Marvel's stuff and one which puts out all of DC's. There's contracts, commitments, networks, producers, directors, actors and egos to consider.

    Let's play hypothetical for a moment: say, somebody wanted to do a crossover movie or TV show. Say, X-Men meets the Justice League. First, they'd have to decide whether it was going to be the Marvel guys in the DC universe or vice-versa, which itself would result in a clash of egos. Next, they'd have to secure the film rights from 20th Century Fox (who handled the X-Men movies) and the studios responsible for the various DC features, which itself would be next to impossible. Then what if they couldn't get Hugh Jackman to play Wolverine because he's already committed to another project, or they couldn't secure the legal rights to Superman? Then what if Marvel wanted to have Cyclops eye-blast Darksied, canceling out his Omega beams, but DC said "No way!" or DC wanted Batman to whale on Juggernaut, but Marvel said something like, "We'll only let Superman beat Juggernaut!" And what if the Marvel writers wanted to have Wonder Woman start a romance with Iceman, but a DC comics writer said, "No! I'm planning to have Diana marry Aquaman in the upcoming spring issue?" And what if DC and Marvel had different contractual obligations to separate video game companies; then who'd make the game based on the movie? And what if someone wanted to do this DC/Marvel crossover as a TV series on Fox, but DC had a 7-year commitment to only produce shows for the CW? You see what I'm getting at.

    There are just too many factors preventing such crossovers. A DC/Marvel crossover TV show, movie or game is a nice dream, but unfortunately that's all it is, unless DC and Marvel were to permanently merge into one single studio, which, unless one were to SERIOUSLY hit the skids and get bought out by the other, seems highly unlikely at this stage. It's like waiting for a single game console that plays every video game ever made: a nice fantasy, but a virtual impossibility.


    who says it has to be a live action movie, it could be put in animation or maybe they could make a cool game, I agree with 21chewbakka21, I think if they wanted to make super large amounts of money they would possibly set aside there differences and work together to make a butt-load of money.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Silverstar-

    -Silverstar-

    [14]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 7,266
    If missing the point were an Olympic sport, JLU, you'd be swimming in gold medals.

    Regardless whether it's live action, animation, CGI or otherwise, the point is that there's too much red tape involving ownership, copyrights, legal restrictions and creative control for a DC/Marvel crossover to happen on a TV show, a movie or a video game. I'm going to reprint Black's initial post here to drive the point home.

    Blackstar wrote:
    Do you honestly believe that DC and Marvel would put aside their decades long rivalry and just say "Heck with it! Let's forget about the legalities and different competing ownership rights and giant egos and mutually decide on 1 $tyle and 1 storytelling motif and bring all of our different writing teams together to work on one awesome series/movie!"? You're more likely to get crushed by a falling meteorite than you are of seeing this happen in your lifetime. The amount of money that would need to be spent on legal/ownership rights for use of certain characters and companies by other companies would outweigh any amount of profit that would be made from such a project.


    Get it?
    Edited on 04/07/2007 6:41pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Blackstar-

    -Blackstar-

    [15]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 6,000

    JLU51306 wrote:
    who says it has to be a live action movie, it could be put in animation or maybe they could make a cool game, I agree with 21chewbakka21, I think if they wanted to make super large amounts of money they would possibly set aside there differences and work together to make a butt-load of money.


    Did you read anything of what we just said?

    If DC and Marvel coming together on a single project (animated or live action) were really that simple, don't you think it would have happened by now? There's certainly a desire and a demand for such a project to happen, but it's not like the president of Marvel can just call the president of DC and say "Hey! I've got an idea! let's make a sweet-arse video game together!", and the DC pres would just say "OK! Let's do it!" A DC/Marvel TV or movie team up could have happened decades ago if the process were really as simple as you and Chewie are making it out to be.

    Edited on 04/07/2007 6:45pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hyou_Gattai

    Hyou_Gattai

    [16]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 11/20/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 2,021

    ok here goes my two cents...for now it's nearly impossible for this two companies to work together, but maybe in 3 or 5 years this can happen...now -Blackstar- you bring an interesting point in the videogames arena, it was the StreetFighter/MortalKombat idea, let me tell you...the most rival companies in the fighting section of the videogames were SNK and Capcom, however they managed to put their differences asside and worked together in SNK vs Capcom videogame, now i'm no employee from Capcom nor SNK to tell if the game was a money cow, but it did win fighting game of the year...

    For now, Marvel is leadership in the movie aspects with the Spidey and X-Men movies...DC has been left behind in this aspect...Also these industries are not very similar with the heroes, i mean who in the Marvel universe can take down Supes?. If this alliance someday happened...i'll be very curious to see how they can make that work

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Blackstar-

    -Blackstar-

    [17]Apr 7, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 6,000
    Hyou_Gattai wrote:
    ok here goes my two cents...for now it's nearly impossible for this two companies to work together, but maybe in 3 or 5 years this can happen...now -Blackstar- you bring an interesting point in the videogames arena, it was the StreetFighter/MortalKombat idea, let me tell you...the most rival companies in the fighting section of the videogames were SNK and Capcom, however they managed to put their differences asside and worked together in SNK vs Capcom videogame, now i'm no employee from Capcom nor SNK to tell if the game was a money cow, but it did win fighting game of the year...


    From what I understand about Capcom vs SNK, most of the profits from the game went to Capcom. While the game did well enough to warrant a sequel, it still wasn't enough to save SNK from going bankrupt.

    I'm going to bring up the Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat crossover thing again because the situation with that is very similar to the hope/prospect of a DC/Marvel collaboration. Representatives from both Capcom (SF) and Williams (MK) have said that they would like to see such a game happen, but it won't. Primarily because the $tyles and game play of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are completely different. Capcom's headquarters are located in Japan, while Williams' headquarters are in the US; it would be very difficult for these 2 studios and teams to mutually decide on 1 fighting $tyle and game engine. Also, neither company would want to make available to the other their proprietary source codes, which would need to happen for such a project.

    So, while a Marvel/DC television/movie/video game collaboration is not impossible, I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Edited on 04/07/2007 8:09pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JLU51306

    JLU51306

    [18]Apr 8, 2007
    • member since: 01/19/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 870
    I understand all the problems there would be for such a thing to happen but putting all that aside, How many people would want to see them create there own video game or movie together, I would love to see it, I think it would be the best crossover ever done.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of theportal

    theportal

    [19]Apr 8, 2007
    • member since: 05/07/06
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 17,175
    Shayera-Hol wrote:
    Remember how the Sentinel beat X-mens in "Day of Reckoning"? (Well, they would have lost completely if not for the Brotherhood helping them). In the JLU episode "Divided We Fall", the original 7 took down the gigantic Brainiac ship in ten seconds; it was larger than the Sentinel, although admittedly less mobile.


    You lifted this statement from my post in the X-men Evolution forum for the JLU vs. X-men thread there, didn't you? I was wondering where I'd seen that statement before. Don't worry; I don't mind. Nice to know that my posts resonate that deeply with some people.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Silverstar-

    -Silverstar-

    [20]Apr 8, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 7,266

    JLU51306 wrote:
    I understand all the problems there would be for such a thing to happen but putting all that aside, How many people would want to see them create there own video game or movie together, I would love to see it, I think it would be the best crossover ever done.


    What would be the best crossover ever done?

    For me, it would depend on the project and the characters involved. I don't like everything Marvel any more than I like everything DC. A crossover between a crappy DC character and a crappy Marvel character would be just as crappy as a crappy solo project.

    Edited on 04/08/2007 7:13am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.