Justice League Unlimited Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Did the show ever get you interested in DC Comics?

Antiyonder

[1]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 39

Prior to Justice League my only exposure to DC Comic material was:

- The DCAU (Batman The Animated Series, Superman and Batman Beyond)

- Superfriends (Which was why I was interested in seeing Justice League to begin with.)

- DC/Marvel Crossovers (I was a Marvel person when collecting comics before.)

During Justice League I started picking up comics set in the DCAU. With Justice League Adventures being the series I'd get monthly (starting with #6). While I collect any DC Comic I find interesting, the ones I collected due to my interest in the show:

1. Booster Gold (All 25 issues,) and Captain Atom (Doesn't hurt that Greg Weisman helped write it.)

2. Crisis On MultipleEarths TPB (Reprinting the crossovers between the Multiverse, part of which inspired the episode Legend.)

3. The Death Of Superman, World Without Superman and The Return Of Superman TPBs

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

heeroyuy2006

[2]Oct 24, 2007
    • level: 8
    The DCAU, Teen Titans, The Batman, and hearing about the comics in forums here on tv.com caused me to research various graphic novels and events on wikipedia which in turn caused me to buy some DC comics. At the moment, I have 5 graphic novels (Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Face the Face, The Death of Superman, and Kingdom Come)and have a subscription to Batman. I've never been much of a comic book person, mostly because I couldn't afford them, had no access to them, or simply none appealed to me. That isn't to say that I'd never bought comics before I bought these, just that they were relatively few and far between. However, now I'm very much a comic fan and hope to get another subscription (Nightwing) and some more graphic novels (Batman: Hush, The Long Halloween, Batman and Son, DC: New Frontier, Golden Age, The Kingdom, New Teen Titans: Judas Contract, and more).

sylent_asassin

[3]Oct 25, 2007
    • level: 26
    Actually, watching Superfriends in my youth got me interested in collecting comics. I've collected comics on and off for the better part of 20 years. It all started with Green Lantern when I was just a lad. Seeing what Hal could do in Superfriends with his Power ring made me pick up the books. Been collecting GL books ever since.

Enthropii

[4]Oct 31, 2007
    • level: 23
    Always been a DC fan. DCAU just intensified my love for it. Long live Bruce Timm!

Lena_Wayne15

[5]Oct 31, 2007
    • level: 16
    Yeah, I started reading comics b/c of it. Now I'm a huge Hal Jordan fangirl. Go figure.

Enthropii

[6]Oct 31, 2007
    • level: 23
    Lena_Wayne15 wrote:
    Yeah, I started reading comics b/c of it. Now I'm a huge Hal Jordan fangirl. Go figure.

Hal Jordan! Woo hoo! But I despise the new explanation about Parallex. I preferred the going insane one.

sylent_asassin

[7]Nov 1, 2007
    Enthropii wrote:
    Lena_Wayne15 wrote:

Hal Jordan! Woo hoo! But I despise the new explanation about Parallex. I preferred the going insane one.

The only problem I have with it is Hal's corruption by Parallax wasn't subtle, but instantaneous. After Coast City was destroyed, he went nuts and killed Corps members. I thought it was a cheap way to off Hal and move onto Kyle.

Lena_Wayne15

[8]Nov 1, 2007
    The whole Hal going evil thing doesn't make much sense anyway, and seems kinda dumb. Hal at the time, wasn't even living in Coast City. And everyone he cared about lived. And it was rushed. But at least we got Kyle. Kyle is a good character too. As for the space cockroach of FEAR, it's what modern GL mythos are being based on. We kinda have to accept it. Besides, the Sinestro Corps War is awesome.

sylent_asassin

[9]Nov 2, 2007
    Lena_Wayne15 wrote:
    Besides, the Sinestro Corps War is awesome.

You think so? I'm disappointed in the SC war so far. They have one story, but you have to purchase 2 different titles including 3 (so far) stand-alone books. Regarding the war, it's just seems so convoluted. There are FAR too many insignificant GL's and SC members murking up the waters. In addition, just when it seems something BIG is going to happen, you're at the end of the book and you have to wait for the next installment, but the next book is the EXACT same way; big cliffhanger leading nowhere. In the GL Corps books, most of that is "who cares?" material... and the artwork is pretty bad, especially on Kilowog. He's pencilled like a Muppet. Perhaps I just expected too much. I just want to see the GL's big 7 vs. Sinestro's big 6... and Parallax taking over Kyle was a HUGE letdown.

Lena_Wayne15

[10]Nov 6, 2007
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    Lena_Wayne15 wrote:

You think so? I'm disappointed in the SC war so far. They have one story, but you have to purchase 2 different titles including 3 (so far) stand-alone books. Regarding the war, it's just seems so convoluted. There are FAR too many insignificant GL's and SC members murking up the waters. In addition, just when it seems something BIG is going to happen, you're at the end of the book and you have to wait for the next installment, but the next book is the EXACT same way; big cliffhanger leading nowhere. In the GL Corps books, most of that is "who cares?" material... and the artwork is pretty bad, especially on Kilowog. He's pencilled like a Muppet. Perhaps I just expected too much. I just want to see the GL's big 7 vs. Sinestro's big 6... and Parallax taking over Kyle was a HUGE letdown.

Kylax could've been bigger and scarier, and the art on GLC is bad, but other than that, I enjoy it. I like learning about the different characters in the corps. I like staring at Reis's pretty drawings. I think it's hilarious that Batman karate chops off a Manhunter's face. And who is the last person in the Big 7? So far I've got Hal, Kyle, John, Guy, Yat, Kilowog...is it Arisia?

darklordavaitor

[11]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 21

To be perfectly honest, I've never been a HUGE DC fan, but B:TAS has gotten me to get many a Battitle, and I'm collecting JSA right now. But, no, JL/JLU has never sparked interest in me enough to buy more of DC's titles. I was thinking of Sinsetro Corps, but after reading what sylent said, I think I'll pass.

Edited on 11/07/2007 7:47am

sylent_asassin

[12]Nov 7, 2007
    Lena_Wayne15 wrote:
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    Lena_Wayne15 wrote:

Kylax could've been bigger and scarier, and the art on GLC is bad, but other than that, I enjoy it. I like learning about the different characters in the corps. I like staring at Reis's pretty drawings. I think it's hilarious that Batman karate chops off a Manhunter's face. And who is the last person in the Big 7? So far I've got Hal, Kyle, John, Guy, Yat, Kilowog...is it Arisia?

Actually, I was referring to Salaak and Arisia. I wouldn't have included Sodom Yat, but that's just me. Funny how he's the new Torchbearer now. I wish Ethan could have been the penciller for the entire arc. I really like his work. The artwork in GL Corps is just too darn sloppy.

...and yeah, Kylax just didn't 'do it' for me. He looked the part, but didn't do much to instill fear. Seemed more like Comedy relief. Additionally, I expected a huge knock-down, drag-out affair with Kilowog and Arkillo, but it turned out to be a dud, although Kilowog thrashed him at the end. Again, I probably just expected too much.

sylent_asassin

[13]Nov 7, 2007
    darklordavaitor wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I've never been a HUGE DC fan, but B:TAS has gotten me to get many a Battitle, and I'm collecting JSA right now. But, no, JL/JLU has never sparked interest in me enough to buy more of DC's titles. I was thinking of Sinsetro Corps, but after reading what sylent said, I think I'll pass.

It's not bad by any means. I just had great expectations for this arc as I've been collecting GL books since I was 11 and have always wanted to see Sinestro create his own arm of Yellow ring-bearing soldiers. I just thought they spent too much time focusing on insignificant characters that are to be extinguished at the end of the arc.

If you're craving a bat title, you can try Batman/Superman. I collected the first 20 or so issues while McGuiness was the artist, but when guest artists took over, it really dragged the book down. Michael Turner and Ethan Van Sciver had good runs with the title, but a few of the other artists work turned me off and I stopped collecting the book.

darklordavaitor

[14]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 21
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    darklordavaitor wrote:

It's not bad by any means. I just had great expectations for this arc as I've been collecting GL books since I was 11 and have always wanted to see Sinestro create his own arm of Yellow ring-bearing soldiers. I just thought they spent too much time focusing on insignificant characters that are to be extinguished at the end of the arc. If you're craving a bat title, you can try Batman/Superman. I collected the first 20 or so issues while McGuiness was the artist, but when guest artists took over, it really dragged the book down. Michael Turner and Ethan Van Sciver had good runs with the title, but a few of the other artists work turned me off and I stopped collecting the book.
    Ah yes, I got the first issue of that one on Free Comic Book Day. It didn't seem to interest me much, though. I did hear that Terry McGiniss appears later on, though. I really have to check that out.

bnjay29

[15]Nov 10, 2007
    • level: 5
    I was never a hardcore fan of DC Comics. To this day I'm still not. But like many others who grew up watching Batman TAS and all the shows to come after, I learned a hell of a lot more on all the characters.And as a result of looking up more info on them, I can recall various histories and story lines to a degree. Before then, I didn't know anything about guys like Two-Face and Poison Ivy. But who could not know the iconic Joker? For a time, I didn't even know that Harley Quinn was especially made for the series and would go on to become a prominent figure in the comics. I thought she was always in the comics. Livewire got the same treatment. And look at Renee Montoya who was also created for the series. After being introduced to comic canon she would go on to become the new Question. It's amazing how influential the DCAU had become and I'm glad to have been there through it all.
    Edited on 11/10/2007 1:16pm

sporkman5353

[16]Nov 27, 2007
    • level: 18

Lena_Wayne15 wrote:
    The whole Hal going evil thing doesn't make much sense anyway, and seems kinda dumb. Hal at the time, wasn't even living in Coast City. And everyone he cared about lived. And it was rushed. But at least we got Kyle. Kyle is a good character too. As for the space cockroach of FEAR, it's what modern GL mythos are being based on. We kinda have to accept it. Besides, the Sinestro Corps War is awesome.

Eh Zero Hour sucked but it became alot better after Rebirth, which was just awesome.

gamerboy190

[17]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 18
    darklordavaitor wrote:

My sentiments exactly. As a Batman fan for ever since I was little, Batman got me hooked to the DC scene.