Justice League Unlimited Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Justice league movie officaly hitting the big screen.

-Blackstar-

[21]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 8
    JLU1306 wrote:
    I think it would be a lot better if it was in animation

I agree. Either conventionally hand drawn animation or CG.

:
    if they did put martian manhunter in it I think the actor should be the guy who played xavier in x-men but then he still might not fit the part.

That would be Patrick Stewart. And while I could see him doing a passable job as J'onn J'onnz, I think that it would be better to have MM played by an African American actor. That way, the producers would be able to get around the racial balance issue without bringing John into the mix. He could be shown as a green Martian when we 1st see him, then he could morph into an African-American human form so's not to freak out the populus and stay that way for much of the film. Additionally, I would have J'onn wear the blue outfit that he wore in the later comics instead of the embarassing red suspenders and the blue Underoos.

:
    I think john stewart green lantern is better than hal jorden green lantern, I've never liked hal jorden or kyle raynor

We're night and day on that one. John Stewart always reminds me of Cyclops from the X-Men; a little to straight arrow for my tastes, but each to his/her own. I would much rather see Hal or Kyle as the movie's Green Lantern.

:
    I forgot, I think green arrow should be in it.

Ollie and John? I don't think so. Not in the 1st JL movie. Two "green" guys might be confusing to some viewers, even if they are completely unrelated characters. Keep in mind that the movie is based on the comics, not the cartoon. Also, it will be the Justice League, not the JLU.
    Edited on 03/01/2007 11:09am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Martiangrl

[22]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 11

Lena_Wayne15 wrote:
    Martiangrl wrote:
    I didn't say I liked John more than Hal or Kyle. I said there is probably a good chance of him being the GL for the movie because they'll probably want at least one non-white human hero up there. That's PC America for you.
    I was responding to JLU, not you. However, they may go the PC route and use John. But...couldn't they make J'onn black, like they did in Smallville?

Sorry, my mistake. It wasn't exactly clear. But I like your idea of using J'onn

RHam_01

[23]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 14

I think they should go with 7 members max.

Superman

Batman

Wonder Woman

Martian Manhunter

The Flash

Aquaman

Green Lantern

Having any more than 7 will create too much of a mess in terms of giving each one of them equal screen time.

Brandon Routh and Christian Bale are perfect for Bats and Supes.

Edited on 03/01/2007 6:08am

-Silverstar-

[24]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 9
    RHam_01 wrote:

I think they should go with 7 members max.

Superman

Batman

Wonder Woman

Martian Manhunter

The Flash

Aquaman

Green Lantern

Having any more than 7 will create too much of a mess in terms of giving each one of them equal screen time.

Thank you! Finally, someone gets it.

sylent_asassin

[25]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 26
    The way I see it, they should go with 7 characters:

The Trinity: Superman (Routh), Wonder Woman (Ali Landry), Batman (Bale)

Flash (Matt Damon): Wally West- The team needs at least one young character, but not a clown.

Green Lantern (Dennis Quaid): Hal Jordan- Classic. Why not Kyle? You don't need two youngsters on the team.

Martian Manhunter (Carl Lumbly or Michael Jai White)- He easily could be played by an African American for the racial diversity. Additionally, he could use his regular skin with red contacts instead of wearing corny, green make-up. In the comics, he was an African American at one point named Bloodwynd during the death of Superman arc. I would have to use the modernized costume instead of the JL/JLU one that makes him look like a court jester.

Black Canary (Jessica Biel)- For female diversity. She's a martial artist and has the sonic scream.

Darkseid (Dennis Haysbert) - He has the perfect size and build for the lord of Apocalypse. Having Luthor as the villian would be too much of a rehash of Superman Returns.

Why not Aquaman? He's too one-dimensional and only cares about Atlantis and its people. Everything can't revolve around the Oceans just to accomodate him.

Why not Shayera? Other than the Nth metal mace, she's not all that interesting. We could give her the bird call, but Black Canary's power is more interesting. In addition, the wings would be hell to animate and detract from the character.

Lena_Wayne15

[26]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 16
    OMG...Sylent, Dennis Quaid was originally my first choice for Hal, but I thought he was too old to play him.

RHam_01

[27]Mar 1, 2007
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    The way I see it, they should go with 7 characters:

The Trinity: Superman (Routh), Wonder Woman (Ali Landry), Batman (Bale)

Flash (Matt Damon): Wally West- The team needs at least one young character, but not a clown.

Green Lantern (Dennis Quaid): Hal Jordan- Classic. Why not Kyle? You don't need two youngsters on the team.

Martian Manhunter (Carl Lumbly or Michael Jai White)- He easily could be played by an African American for the racial diversity. Additionally, he could use his regular skin with red contacts instead of wearing corny, green make-up. In the comics, he was an African American at one point named Bloodwynd during the death of Superman arc. I would have to use the modernized costume instead of the JL/JLU one that makes him look like a court jester.

Black Canary (Jessica Biel)- For female diversity. She's a martial artist and has the sonic scream.

Darkseid (Dennis Haysbert) - He has the perfect size and build for the lord of Apocalypse. Having Luthor as the villian would be too much of a rehash of Superman Returns.

Why not Aquaman? He's too one-dimensional and only cares about Atlantis and its people. Everything can't revolve around the Oceans just to accomodate him.

Why not Shayera? Other than the Nth metal mace, she's not all that interesting. We could give her the bird call, but Black Canary's power is more interesting. In addition, the wings would be hell to animate and detract from the character.

As much as i'd like to see Darkseid the rumors going around are saying that it will be Zod and Braniac.

And I think it should be Aquaman over Black Canary. He is the king of the seas and part of the original seven.

-Silverstar-

[28]Mar 2, 2007
    Rham01 wrote:
    I think it should be Aquaman over Black Canary. He is the king of the seas and part of the original seven.
    While Aquaman is perhaps more well-known than Black Canary, I wouldn't necessarily say that he was more popular or versatile. He's pretty shallow as a character, and over the years he's gained a reputation for being pretty much useless out of the water. If they were to go with Aquaman, they would have to drastically revise his powers so he'd be able to do more than just talk to marine life; maybe give him powers like Tempest. I'd still rather see Black Canary, though; IMHO, on a team consisting of more than 4 members, they should ideally have more than 1 woman in the group, not just for PC-ness but for the obvious reason that every guy on the team can't be crushing on Diana; it would be like on the later installments of Super Friends when the team extended to consisting of 10 guys and Wonder Woman. Heck, even the Legion of Doom had 2 ladies in their ranks.
    Edited on 03/02/2007 5:45am
    Edited 3 total times.

-Blackstar-

[29]Mar 2, 2007
    RHam_01 wrote:
    I think it should be Aquaman over Black Canary. He is the king of the seas and part of the original seven.

True. However, I agree with Silverstar that a team with more than 4 members should have at least 2 women on it for the same reason that Bruce Timm wanted 2 women on the JL show; so everybody wouldn't be crushing on Wonder Woman. That's why Black Canary would be a good choice. Also, BC is one of the founding members of the JLA.

As for Aquaman, Sylent_Assassin is right; Arthur wouldn't involve himself with the matters of the Earth unless they somehow affected his kingdom of Atlantis or the seas in general. The plot of the 1st movie could somehow involve the ocean so that Aquaman could be involved, but what happens when they want to make a sequel? Every movie plot can't revolve around the seas just to accomodate King Arthur. Plus, Aquaman could not be like the lame Super Friends version. He would have to be able to do more than just communicate with fish. He would have to have his ability to throw hard water balls and create whirlpools. Otherwise, he'd be completely useless on land.
    Edited on 03/02/2007 5:48am
    Edited 4 total times.

RHam_01

[30]Mar 2, 2007
    -Blackstar- wrote:
    RHam_01 wrote:

True. However, I agree with Silverstar that a team with more than 4 members should have at least 2 women on it for the same reason that Bruce Timm wanted 2 women on the JL show; so everybody wouldn't be crushing on Wonder Woman. That's why Black Canary would be a good choice. Also, BC is one of the founding members of the JLA.

As for Aquaman, Sylent_Assassin is right; Arthur wouldn't involve himself with the matters of the Earth unless they somehow affected his kingdom of Atlantis or the seas in general. The plot of the 1st movie could somehow involve the ocean so that Aquaman could be involved, but what happens when they want to make a sequel? Every movie plot can't revolve around the seas just to accomodate King Arthur. Plus, Aquaman could not be like the lame Super Friends version. He would have to be able to do more than just communicate with fish. He would have to have his ability to throw hard water balls and create whirlpools. Otherwise, he'd be completely useless on land.

Hmm.. okay I see your point. Aquaman would be pretty useless on land

faCt24

[31]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 31
    i just hope its not as bad as "superman:braniac attacks".

sylent_asassin

[32]Mar 2, 2007
    I hope it's nowhere close to Brainiac Attacks. That was one of the worst animated films I've ever sat through. It made Mulan II look like a masterpiece.

Just read up on Tempest. He sounds uber powerful. He'd make a really good nemesis.

Lena_Wayne15

[33]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 16
    sylent_asassin wrote:

Just read up on Tempest. He sounds uber powerful. He'd make a really good nemesis.

Tempest...A really good nemesis?

O_o

He's one of the founding Titans! He's a good guy!

sylent_asassin

[34]Mar 5, 2007
    I am not too familiar with the Titans which is obvious. From reading his powers and abilities, it simply sounded that he would make a good villian. From research, he seems more powerful than Aquaman by far. The good guys usually aren't omnipotent.

JLU51306

[35]Mar 8, 2007
    • level: 18

I think hal jorden and kyle raynor to be a little corny.

whats wrong with 8 characters in the movie, x-men the last stand had more than eight and it was a good movie, if the is any lower than 5 characters in a JL movie it really wouldn't be a JL movie because in every show such as super friends, and JL there were more than 5 characters in it, so if there were less than 5 heroes in it to me it just wouldn't seem to be JL.

wally west would be my only choice as the flash.

the only thing I would change about batman is the costume, I don't want the whole thing to be black and gold like it was in batman begins, they should put grey color to the costume, now I do think the black and gold costume is cool but only in the batman movies and not in a JL movie.

I think the idea about martian manhunter is great, I think his costume should be like it was in JL and JLU the animated series.

here's my new list of characters i think should be in the movie:

superman

batman

wonder woman

the flash: wally west

green lantern: john stewart

martian manhunter

aquaman: long hair version

hawkman

Martiangrl

[36]Mar 8, 2007
    • level: 11

The only gold part of the Batman Begins suit was the belt (as always). The rest was completely black.

Maybe if they made John Stewart more like in the cartoon than in the comics, I'd like to see him in the movie. Otherwise I say Hal.

-Silverstar-

[37]Mar 8, 2007
    JLU51306 wrote:

I think hal jorden and kyle raynor to be a little corny.

Do you honestly believe that, or are you just saying that because Hal and Kyle only appeared fleetingly in the cartoon series and you just don't know that much about them? Not a diss, just asking.

:

whats wrong with 8 characters in the movie, x-men the last stand had more than eight and it was a good movie, if the is any lower than 5 characters in a JL movie it really wouldn't be a JL movie because in every show such as super friends, and JL there were more than 5 characters in it, so if there were less than 5 heroes in it to me it just wouldn't seem to be JL.

You're kidding, right? X3 was, IMHO, the weakest of the X Trilogy. Sure, it had a lot of characters in it, but how many of them were actually important to the story? Only Wolverine, Jean, Magneto, Storm and to a lesser extent, Iceman. Beast was only in about 2 scenes and Angel was only in about 4 minutes of the whole film. And Juggernaut was a joke in that movie. I don't see the point of featuring a bunch of our favorite heroes in the movie if most of them would only be shown on screen for about 3 minutes.

FTR, the original lineup of Super Friends consisted of only 5 heroes (Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Robin and Aquaman-I don't count teen sidekicks and pets); they didn't start incorperating other heroes until The All-New SuperFriends Hour when they started using 'super guests', and they didn't start having 8 to 10 heroes until Challenge of the Super Friends. By the time they did Galactic Guardians, they ostensibly had a large group of characters, but only 4 or 5 of them were actually spotlit throughout the show; the rest were basically extras.

:

wally west would be my only choice as the flash.

That really depends on what era and continuity the movie takes place during. Wally is the current Flash, and he's the one featured in the cartoon, but once again you must remember that the movie will be based on the comics, not the show. It could just as easily be Barry Allen, especially if the film chronicles the forming of the JLA.

:

the only thing I would change about batman is the costume, I don't want the whole thing to be black and gold like it was in batman begins, they should put grey color to the costume, now I do think the black and gold costume is cool but only in the batman movies and not in a JL movie.

I disagree. The all-black costume makes Basty look dark, dangerous and badass, like he's supposed to be. While I could stand the grey-and black costume, I would prefer the all-black one; that suit screams 'Dark Knight' to me.

:

I think the idea about martian manhunter is great, I think his costume should be like it was in JL and JLU the animated series.

Ugh! Why?? That costume is embarrassing. It makes J'onn look like a green Chippendale's dancer. Let the poor guy have some dignity-give him a shirt and pants. Especially if he's going to be morphed into a human form for most of the movie. I cringe at the thought of Michael Jai White or Carl Lumbly patrolling the city bare chested and clad only in blue Speedoes.

:

here's my new list of characters i think should be in the movie:

superman

batman

wonder woman

the flash: wally west

green lantern: john stewart

martian manhunter

aquaman: long hair version

hawkman

Hawkman, feh. Aside from their Nth metal weapons, the Hawk Heroes' only powers are flying and talking to birds. Not very movie worthy. Being a superhero whos power is flying is like being a human whose power is walking and talking-not that big a deal. Plus, it would require a lot of FX to render their wings and not make them look cheesy and Krazy-Glued onto their backs. If there really must be a Hawk Hero in the film, I'd choose Hawkgirl over Hawkman, because like I said in an earlier post, a team consisting of more than 4 members should have at least 2 women. PC-ness and all.

As for Aquaman, sorry, but I'm just not feeling him in this picture. Sure, it's possible, but not very likely. Aqua's a pretty shallow character (no water pun intended), plus out of the ocean, he's not much to speak of, power-wise. There are also potential sequels to consider: like Sylent and my bro Blackstar said, every movie plot can't revolve around the seas just to accomidate King Arthur.
    Edited on 03/08/2007 2:54pm
    Edited 7 total times.

princeszkathy

[38]Mar 8, 2007
    I hope they don't ruin the reputation of the JL by making a movie not even close to the original comics

JLU51306

[39]Mar 8, 2007
    • level: 18

I didn't mean for martian manhunter to wear the costume when he is morphed into a human, he should just wear the costume when he is in his alien form. I don't think martian manhunter should be in human form most of the movie, I think that would be stupid, if martian manhunter is going to be in the movie, he should be mostly in alien form the movie, and if they make him human most of the movie, they would confuse the people that have never seen the show or read the comics of JL than they will be confused thinking that martian manhunter is a human and shifts into aliens

I guess your right, i don't like hal jorden and kyle raynor because i didn't see them that much in the animated series, but I still prefer john stewart over them.

it's not that i don't like the all black costume for batman, i think it looks cool but i would rather see the grey in black costume just in the JL movie.

like i said as my first hero choice, i do want hawkgirl in it but someone pointed to my attention that they would not choose hawkgirl unless they were going to make the movie based on the animated series, so if they won't put hawkgirl in it, I say they put hawkman in it,  do you not understand that special effects in this day and age are great and they could make hawkmans wings so real, it's not like it's 1970 with the starwars 4 5 and 6 episode  special effects, look at x-men the last stand, angel had wings in the movie, i'm not saying they used the best special effects but it's not like they made his wings glued on, and the JL movie still might not even be made until 2010 and they might have even better special effects.

notice i said less than 5 which i'm alright with just 5 heroes in it, like in the first super friends which you said there was 5 but any less than 5 it just wouldn't be justice league, it shouldn't be just superman, batman, wonder woman, and green lantern.

Edited on 03/08/2007 6:34pm
    Edited 2 total times.

-Blackstar-

[40]Mar 8, 2007
    The only thing is that if J'onn were to played by a A-list actor, he'd probably want his real face to be seen on camera, not buried under layers of green makeup. I could see MM being green if the movie were animated, but not for a live action flick. Besides, if the producers' decided to go with Hal or Kyle as the Green Lantern, they would still need an ethnic super hero for racial balance. And MM did take the form of an African American in the comics for a time. J'onn could wear red contacts over his eyes even when disguised as a human. Personally, I don't think the idea of J'onn spending much of the movie in human (African-American) form is stupid at all. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.
    Edited on 03/08/2007 7:19pm