Justice League Unlimited Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Most overused of the big 7?

  • Avatar of Overrated17

    Overrated17

    [1]Mar 7, 2007
    • member since: 12/16/04
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 287

    Hmmmmm.... could it be BATFAILURE?  Yeah.  I think it is.  It could also be Green Lantern, Mister I-Have-a-Poll-Up-My-Ass.

    Most used, in order:

    1.  Batfailure

    2.  Green Lantern

    3.  Hawkgirl

    4.  Superman

    5.  Flash

    6.  Wonder Woman

    7.  Martian Manhunter, who was grossly underused.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Martiangrl

    Martiangrl

    [2]Mar 7, 2007
    • member since: 08/20/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,037

    Don't be hatin' just because he's the best!

    The Bat's da man!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lena_Wayne15

    Lena_Wayne15

    [3]Mar 7, 2007
    • member since: 06/22/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,255
    I agree that Batman was the most over-used, but calling him Batfailure? No, you opinion just lost all value. Why is he a failure? Back it up when you say things about characters.

    And what's with all the John hate? He's not my favorite GL, but I don't say he has a stick up his butt. I just find him to be boring, especially in the comics medium. He was an architecht, and I personally found him better when he worked with the Darkstars. Hde pretty much led them. However, in JLU, he's a Marine. He's supposed to be hard.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Silverstar-

    -Silverstar-

    [4]Mar 7, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 7,266
    Lena_Wayne15 wrote:
    I agree that Batman was the most over-used, but calling him Batfailure? No, you opinion just lost all value. Why is he a failure? Back it up when you say things about characters.

    And what's with all the John hate? He's not my favorite GL, but I don't say he has a stick up his butt. I just find him to be boring, especially in the comics medium. He was an architecht, and I personally found him better when he worked with the Darkstars. Hde pretty much led them. However, in JLU, he's a Marine. He's supposed to be hard.


    I agree, though Batman was a bit overdone on the show (IMO), I'd hardly label him a 'failure'. He's one of DC's greatest success stories, actually. And though John bored me, I wouldn't call him overdone either. Just not as interesting to me as the others, that's all. John wasn't overused; ;the only thing underused about John was the lygokinetic aspects of his ring power, which tied in to his militaristic, efficient personality. He was a hardened Marine, so naturally he wasn't going to create a lot of fancy, imaginative constructs.
    Edited on 03/08/2007 6:07am
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sylent_asassin

    sylent_asassin

    [5]Mar 8, 2007
    • member since: 06/19/05
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 9,402
    I'd say Batman. If you don't like the character, fine, give your reasons, but calling him a failure when all he does is save the day on the show is ridiculous... and the term you used for GL is unwarranted. He's supposed to be stern. After all, he's a former Marine.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gamerboy190

    gamerboy190

    [6]Mar 10, 2007
    • member since: 05/11/06
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 6,292
    -Silverstar- wrote:
    Lena_Wayne15 wrote:
    I agree that Batman was the most over-used, but calling him Batfailure? No, you opinion just lost all value. Why is he a failure? Back it up when you say things about characters.

    And what's with all the John hate? He's not my favorite GL, but I don't say he has a stick up his butt. I just find him to be boring, especially in the comics medium. He was an architecht, and I personally found him better when he worked with the Darkstars. Hde pretty much led them. However, in JLU, he's a Marine. He's supposed to be hard.


    I agree, though Batman was a bit overdone on the show (IMO), I'd hardly label him a 'failure'. He's one of DC's greatest success stories, actually. And though John bored me, I wouldn't call him overdone either. Just not as interesting to me as the others, that's all. John wasn't overused; ;the only thing underused about John was the lygokinetic aspects of his ring power, which tied in to his militaristic, efficient personality. He was a hardened Marine, so naturally he wasn't going to create a lot of fancy, imaginative constructs.


    Agreed. Coming from a Batman fan, I honestly don't think he was overused to the point where you got sick of him. And calling Batman a failure shows how much you truly don't know about him in the first place. In fact, John Stewart had more episodes than anybody in the start of the series. But who cares, the plots (In JL) was good enough to let that slide anyway.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hyou_Gattai

    Hyou_Gattai

    [7]Mar 10, 2007
    • member since: 11/20/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 2,021
    Overrated17 wrote:
    Hmmmmm.... could it be BATFAILURE
    Most used, in order:

    1. Batfailure
    you obviously dont know who your talking about, read the comic books,...in fact dont...you will ruin the comic books readers fan club, just watch the starcrossed movie, go to the special features section and read about Batman.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gamerboy190

    gamerboy190

    [8]Mar 12, 2007
    • member since: 05/11/06
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 6,292
    Hyou_Gattai wrote:
    Overrated17 wrote:
    Hmmmmm.... could it be BATFAILURE
    Most used, in order:

    1. Batfailure
    you obviously dont know who your talking about, read the comic books,...in fact dont...you will ruin the comic books readers fan club, just watch the starcrossed movie, go to the special features section and read about Batman.


    Agreed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Link3455

    Link3455

    [9]Mar 22, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 384
    What the heck are you talking about? Batman got probably the least amount of screentime on this show. He had very limited appearances due to the bat-embargo and the majority of them were mainly supporting roles (Divided We Fall, Panic in the Sky, etc.). I'm pretty sure that totaling all 5 seasons he had the least amount of appearances out of the original 7.

    Back on topic, I would say Superman. Not because I have a problem with him or anything, but I mean the last episode was focused on him as well as the majority of season four (JLU season two).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gamerboy190

    gamerboy190

    [10]Mar 22, 2007
    • member since: 05/11/06
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 6,292
    Link3455 wrote:
    What the heck are you talking about? Batman got probably the least amount of screentime on this show. He had very limited appearances due to the bat-embargo and the majority of them were mainly supporting roles (Divided We Fall, Panic in the Sky, etc.). I'm pretty sure that totaling all 5 seasons he had the least amount of appearances out of the original 7.

    Back on topic, I would say Superman. Not because I have a problem with him or anything, but I mean the last episode was focused on him as well as the majority of season four (JLU season two).


    Good point. Batman was the least focused on, but still, you've had to admit that he was in nearly every episode with a least a cameo or small speaking role.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Silverstar-

    -Silverstar-

    [11]Mar 22, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 7,266
    I can solve this: the characters who were the most frequently shown and most often given major roles on the show were the Big Three: Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, for the simple fact that those 3 characters are the cornerstones of the DCU. Superman represents the light and idealism of the superhero world (he's the "ideal" superhero), Batman represents the dark side and realism (he's the "common man's" superhero), and Wonder Woman balances them both out in between, in addition to embodying female empowerment (she's the first female superhero). So if the Trinity got more attention than the others, it was no accident.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Overrated17

    Overrated17

    [12]Mar 22, 2007
    • member since: 12/16/04
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 287

    Batman, the least used?  Bwahahahahahaa!

    The writers had a massive, raging boner for Batboy.  Take a look at the first Aqua Man episode.  The others are "duh duh duh duh" then all of a sudden everything stops and Batgod comes out of nowhere and the writers are all like "OMG use dem skills" and everything gets going.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gamerboy190

    gamerboy190

    [13]Mar 22, 2007
    • member since: 05/11/06
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 6,292
    -Silverstar- wrote:
    I can solve this: the characters who were the most frequently shown and most often given major roles on the show were the Big Three: Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, for the simple fact that those 3 characters are the cornerstones of the DCU. Superman represents the light and idealism of the superhero world (he's the "ideal" superhero), Batman represents the dark side and realism (he's the "common man's" superhero), and Wonder Woman balances them both out in between, in addition to embodying female empowerment (she's the first female superhero). So if the Trinity got more attention than the others, it was no accident.




    I concur with this.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Blackstar-

    -Blackstar-

    [14]Mar 22, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 6,000
    Overrated17 wrote:

    Batman, the least used? Bwahahahahahaa!

    The writers had a massive, raging boner for Batboy. Take a look at the first Aqua Man episode. The others are "duh duh duh duh" then all of a sudden everything stops and Batgod comes out of nowhere and the writers are all like "OMG use dem skills" and everything gets going.



    I believe it was meant that Batman was used the least in JLU, not JL. This was primarily due to the fact that The Batman was just beginning on Kids WB! at the time, and thus the Bat-Embargo first came into play. No Batman heroes or villains were allowed to appear in JLU after that. This coupled with the fact that JLU had to push the Big 7 into the background more often so that the new characters could be introduced to the audience.

    That episode Overrated referenced was season 1's "The Enemy Below", and sure, Bats came off as irritatingly perfect sometimes, but it was kind of necessary for his character. Think about it: Batman was the only one of the Super 7 without any special powers. The only way to have him in the League (as well as on the show) and not make his presence seem like a joke was to make him smarter than everyone else. Team situations only work when everyone has something to bring to the table. And since Batman possesses no super strength, super speed, or any extra normal abilities of any kind, he had to contribute his keen detective mind and sheer force of will.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hyou_Gattai

    Hyou_Gattai

    [15]Mar 23, 2007
    • member since: 11/20/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 2,021
    tha's why i said, READ THE SPECIAL FEATURES SECTION in the Starcrossed movie, about Bats,
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Link3455

    Link3455

    [16]Mar 23, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 384
    You see, the problem is that I have Starcrossed on the JL s2 box set and don't see the point of buying the Starcrossed DVD just for something the creators say.


    Overrated17 wrote:

    Batman, the least used? Bwahahahahahaa!

    The
    writers had a massive, raging boner for Batboy. Take a look at the
    first Aqua Man episode. The others are "duh duh duh duh" then all of a
    sudden everything stops and Batgod comes out of nowhere and the writers
    are all like "OMG use dem skills" and everything gets going.

    I don't agree with that at all. Batman did absolutely nothing in The Enemy Below; all he did was help heal Aquaman and then go through that tube thingy at the end. He was not a major part of the plot at all, and the others were way more important in it than he was. He probably had about 10 minutes total on the screen out of both those parts. And don't take this in any offense at all, but could you pleased be a little more civilized when you disagree about something? You don't need to go laughing at my opinion and then screaming I'm so wrong. Just say you disagree and state your reasons why.

    Edited on 03/23/2007 10:25pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Alphrin

    Alphrin

    [17]Apr 4, 2007
    • member since: 12/03/04
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 50

    -Blackstar- wrote:
    Think about it: Batman was the only one of the Super 7 without any special powers. The only way to have him in the League (as well as on the show) and not make his presence seem like a joke was to make him smarter than everyone else. Team situations only work when everyone has something to bring to the table. And since Batman possesses no super strength, super speed, or any extra normal abilities of any kind, he had to contribute his keen detective mind and sheer force of will.

    That's the reason that there never should have been any non-superpowered heroes on the Justice League or Justice League Unlimited in the first place. Batman already had over 100 episodes to himself, he didn't need more. And Green Arrow, Vililante, and Shining Knight are just laughing stocks to anyone who isn't a DC comics buff.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Blackstar-

    -Blackstar-

    [18]Apr 4, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 6,000
    Alphrin wrote:

    -Blackstar- wrote:
    Think about it: Batman was the only one of the Super 7 without any special powers. The only way to have him in the League (as well as on the show) and not make his presence seem like a joke was to make him smarter than everyone else. Team situations only work when everyone has something to bring to the table. And since Batman possesses no super strength, super speed, or any extra normal abilities of any kind, he had to contribute his keen detective mind and sheer force of will.

    That's the reason that there never should have been any non-superpowered heroes on the Justice League or Justice League Unlimited in the first place. Batman already had over 100 episodes to himself, he didn't need more. And Green Arrow, Vililante, and Shining Knight are just laughing stocks to anyone who isn't a DC comics buff.



    The Justice League should have just stayed with the Super 7 (including Batman) and just had the occasional Super Guest appear every once in a while. Green Arrow could have been used as a recurring guest star.However, I agree with what you said about Vigilante and Shining Knight.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of -Silverstar-

    -Silverstar-

    [19]Apr 4, 2007
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 7,266
    Alphrin wrote:
    there never should have been any non-superpowered heroes on the Justice League or Justice League Unlimited in the first place. Batman already had over 100 episodes to himself, he didn't need more. And Green Arrow, Vililante, and Shining Knight are just laughing stocks to anyone who isn't a DC comics buff.
    I agree that the 3rd stringers like Shining Knight, Vigilante, etc. didn't deserve a spot on the League, but I totally disagree with you about Batman. Bats is one third of the Trinity, and one of the premier DC superheroes; he was far too popular to not be included. The DCAU started with Batman; if you will recall, the very first Timm-directed DC show was Batman: The Animated Series. Besides, it's not always about the powers. Sure, bats isn't a metahuman, but he's proven his mettle time and time again with his sharp mind, peak physical condition and endless raw determination. He's quite capable of running with the big dogs. As far as I'm concerned, Batman has earned his spot on the League.
    Edited on 04/04/2007 7:38am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Alphrin

    Alphrin

    [20]Apr 4, 2007
    • member since: 12/03/04
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 50

    Batman would have been fine if he actually was a part timer like he claimed to be. He should have been in a few episodes, but he didn't need to be in most of them. The fact is, his abilities do make him less useful on Omega level missions. I mean, can you name one important thing he does (battle-wise) in "The Once and Future Thing", for example? He just gets carried around most of the time and smashes a few robots, the only reason he's there is so he can steel important screen time from Green Lantern and Warhawk, a relationship that was really important (it's GL's frickin SON!) yet was subjugated to Batman's meeting with his older self. 

     

    Sure, he does a few tech-related things (like in "Starcrossed", "Metamorpho", and "Enemy Below", and of course the ending of "The Once and Future Thing"), but generally those just felt way to "deus ex machina" anyway. I'd rather see the other heros use their normal brains to solve problems, rather than having Batman come up with super genius solutions for everything.

     

     

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.