Justice League Unlimited Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Poll: What do you think of Hawkgirl?

Where does she rank in your mind?

maxhilary

[1]Dec 25, 2006
    • level: 6
    I think Hawkgirl rox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Shayera-Hol

[2]Dec 25, 2006
    • level: 20

She is fearless, she is mysterious, which I love about her. When you see it, you'll see how beautifully they animate her when she flies. She lifts up in the air and she flies and spins and somersaults. She's very graceful, and yet the next minute she's kicking a space alien's butt. She's very tough. In the episode “Legends”: 'There is no way I am baking cookies.' She's a very independent woman. I love her.

gamerboy190

[3]Dec 25, 2006
    • level: 18
    Yeah, Hawkgirl very fiery and speaks her mind, which makes her character that much stronger.

0hBoy

[4]Dec 25, 2006
    • level: 8

she first becomes remarkable at JLU, when she takes her mask off!

before that happens, wonderwoman is the only real woman in the show

Edited on 12/25/2006 7:33pm

Maylene

[5]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 13
    Shayera-Hol wrote:

She is fearless, she is mysterious, which I love about her. When you see it, you'll see how beautifully they animate her when she flies. She lifts up in the air and she flies and spins and somersaults. She's very graceful, and yet the next minute she's kicking a space alien's butt. She's very tough. In the episode “Legends”: 'There is no way I am baking cookies.' She's a very independent woman. I love her.

Ditto. ^_^

Shayera-Hol

[6]Dec 26, 2006
    She is one of the best! ^_^

Psi-Lord

[7]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 1
    I don't really like Hawkgirl. Sorry.

Lena_Wayne15

[8]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 16
    She bored me. She's okay, but her storyline got too convuluted with the whole annoying love triangle. She's my least favorite of the whole original seven.

EwigD

[9]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 2

I acutally voted that I hate her but I guess I should have gone with I dont like her, saying that I hate her is a bit much I guess. Still I definitely dont like her, lets face it she cheated on her fiance and then lied to John, and she seems to suffer the same dfect of so many other female characters, the writters seem to be unable to come up with strong female character so what they do is just take a  stereotypical male character (you know the type full of testorene, too agressive, too assertive, etc) and give it breasts to make it pass a strong female character, sorry but no, Im not buying that, Im not going to believe that she is a strong woman just because she is always fighting and being confrontational, I dont like that kind of character when theyre male and I like them even less when they disguise them as females.

No offense to her fans though, she does have some redeemable qualities of course, she is a superhero after all, but I just dont like that type of character, and the whole love triangle thing just didnt help make her look better in my opinion.

Ewig D.

Polka_Dot

[10]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 12
    She was my favorite of the original seven (Besides the Flash). I hated Wonder Woman.  But I agree with many on here. Hawkgirl rulz!

Shayera-Hol

[11]Dec 28, 2006
    Yes, and if it wasn't she, the Earth was now destroyed, because she said to Justice League about the bypass. And she fighted with Hro Talak, to save the Earth. I think she is very important. Hawkgirl rulez.

kakkarot1290

[12]Dec 28, 2006
    Lena_Wayne15 wrote:
    She bored me. She's okay, but her storyline got too convuluted with the whole annoying love triangle. She's my least favorite of the whole original seven.

Ditto

-Silverstar-

[13]Dec 29, 2006
    • level: 9
    Can I just butt in here and say that this is my first post since being gone for a whole week? Anyways:

Hawkgirl ranks as my least favorite member of the Super 7, tied with John Stewart. IMHO, John is just boring, but Shayera is annoying as all get-out and falls flat as a character. Why? I'll tell you:

-Her abilities aren't all that impressive. Hawkgirl's only real 'power' is flying, which in the superhero world is like possessing the power to walk and talk. And if they wanted to give Shayera something else to fall back on, they could've come up with something more impressive like aerokinesis (manipulation of wind and air molecules), anything would have been better than having her swing around an electric mace and scream "HAAAAAAA!" like a demented cavewoman.

-Her personality rubs me the wrong way. For the first two seasons of JL, Hawkgirl was a nails-on-a-blackboard annoying little ballbuster, always spoiling for a fight, getting in everybody's face and acting like she's got bigger grapefruits than the guys. OK, Shayera, you're a chick but you're tough. We get it. Now zip your beak! Ballbusters are an immediate turnoff for me: I don't like guys who are like that, and IMO, people like that aren't any more tolerable with estrogen. Then after "Starcrossed", Shayera became a mopey little whiner. I got tired of listening to her blubber and complain all the time.

-The GL/Hawkgirl pairing, and later love triangle. Hey, I got a great idea: let's turn the 2 least interesting Leaguers into a couple, then take a potentially cool character like Vixen and totally screw her up by tossing her into the mix so everybody will hate her! Wow, now that's thinkin', man!

So no, I'm not President of the Hawkgirl Fan Club. But that's just my opinion, and it doesn't carry the weight of sunlight.
    Edited on 12/29/2006 6:26am
    Edited 2 total times.

Nevada-the-wolf

[14]Dec 30, 2006

No offense to anybody but I actually clicked on "She's ok". I didn't really get interested in JLU till after I watched the episode "Legends" about 2 months ago. Ever since then I've watched a few  more JLU episodes on youtube.com. In my opinion Hawkgirl is an interesting character, she's independant, determined and seems to be stubborn(who isn't like that?).  Although I do agree on one thing, the love triangle storyline wasn't very interesting, although I do like Vixen and Green Lantern(he's my favorite of the original 7). But the whole Vixen/GL relationship was...eh...I was kind of shocked when GL chose Vixen over Shayera even though he met their son, Rex in "Once and Future thing part 2" and the fact he said: "When we went into the future, we met my son mine and Shayera's...we're supposed to be together..." now what I don't get is dispite all that he still chose Vixen, but I guess as the series was close to ending the writters might've ran out of ideas at the time.

On the Fox channel a comedy series called "Wanda at Large" was pretty popular during the first season. Other shows that were in the lineup with Wanda were: "The Bernie Mac show" and "Cedric the entertainer presents:" all 3 shows did pretty well but when Wanda at large changed writters and cut out 2 of the shows main chacters the series got canceled later on since show got dull.

Cedric the entertainer however was canceled a few weeks after it and Wanda at large aired. The Bernie Mac show managed to last longer then all 3 of them it reached it's 100th episode mark this year! although because the show had pretty much lost fans and the fact it was put in the line up between the times "American inventor" and other hit TV shows came on the Bernie Mac show was canceled. Although the show still can be seen on CW and has been released on DVD. Also in July of 2006 Wanda at large had been shown on a network called "TV One" even though the show had been cancelled that had a somewhat decent run.

Just an example...

KenoshaChick

[15]Dec 30, 2006
    • level: 11
    I loved Hawkgirl. She was tough and ranked right up there with the men of the league and didn't take crap from anyone. I love the episode where they went back to the 1950's comic book world and when she was asked, "What to help me with the cookies? Leave the men to talk" she answered, "so let them talk." Great line and worth looking up to. However, at the same time, she was the only one with a love life in her storyline. I liked Wonder Woman but she always seemed kind of naive to me. Shayera always had an edge. Good show, sad to see its gone. 

Nevada-the-wolf

[16]Dec 31, 2006
    Yeah but the show did have a good 5 year run. Most animated TV shows don't last that long, I mean look at the Simsons, that's the longest running TV series. There's even a movie coming out in July 2007. Just an example of how some shows have succeeded.
    Edited on 12/31/2006 5:28am

Aldrius

[17]Dec 31, 2006
    • level: 10
    I love Shayera.

First of all I don't care that much about powers, or whatever. I thought they should have focused more on her anti-psyonic and anti-mystic abilities, as opposed to giving her that mace all the time. (They had Wonder Woman steal it and use it more effectively in "The Balance"... way to make Hawkgirl seem important, writers!!)

Her personality, however, is one I really like. She's spunky and tough without becoming grating (in my opinion). She's not too serious, she's consistent and headstrong and makes mistakes instead of being one of those crappy "I'm so independant and intelligent and have absolutely no faults." female characters.

sylent_asassin

[18]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 26
    I never knew Shayera had such a fan following. I thought she was ok up until after Starcrossed. Like Silverstar said, she became an irritiating, whiny little tart. I'm surprised Timm and Co. didn't make an episode where Shayera would mosey on down to John's quarters wearing a teddy and try to seudce him with Vixen walking in on the two; like a Three's Company parody moment. If there were another season, I bet we would have seen that.

squad22345

[19]Jan 7, 2007
    • level: 1
    She one of my favorite characters...she never backs down to anything and just plan hot.

-Blackstar-

[20]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 8
    Hawkgirl is a little too aggressive for my tastes. I don't even like guys who are like that, let alone women who want to be more "guy" than the guys. I would have went with Black Canary or Vixen as the 7th League member, but that's just me.