Justice League Unlimited Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Poll: What do you think of Hawkgirl?

Where does she rank in your mind?

Shayera-Hol

[21]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 20
    -Blackstar- wrote:
    Hawkgirl is a little too aggressive for my tastes. I don't even like guys who are like that, let alone women who want to be more "guy" than the guys. I would have went with Black Canary or Vixen as the 7th League member, but that's just me.

Yes, but she was "little too aggressive" just in JL. I think in JLU, she isn't so "aggressive".
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nevada-the-wolf

[22]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 13
    You've got a point, in JLU she "softened" a little.

Shayera-Hol

[23]Jan 8, 2007

Maybe she can be little "aggressive", but in fact she is "sensitive", because in the episode "Hereafter", when Superman "died", she cried on the mountains (I think she was the only who cried, she and Diana at begin, because the others don't cried)-in JL, but in JLU she isn't so "aggressive" (Wake the Dead, and Hunter's Moon).

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/jl/episodes/hereafter/p1/Pan05.jpg

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/jl/episodes/hereafter/p1/Pan03.jpg

Edited on 01/08/2007 11:32am

Andy639_basic

[24]Jan 13, 2007
    • level: 11
    I like Shayera. What I don't like is the Carter/Shayera/John/Mari love rectangle. But aparently unlike some people I can seperate the two and know that just because there was some lame writing around her, Hawkgirl herself is still a very good and interesting character.

If there's one thing I dislike, it's that she's easy. She knew Carter Hall one day and slept with him. Yes, it was just a gag they were slipping past Standards, but it still hurts the character, IMO.

Shayera-Hol

[25]Jan 13, 2007
    Andy639_basic wrote:
    I like Shayera. What I don't like is the Carter/Shayera/John/Mari love rectangle. But aparently unlike some people I can seperate the two and know that just because there was some lame writing around her, Hawkgirl herself is still a very good and interesting character.

If there's one thing I dislike, it's that she's easy. She knew Carter Hall one day and slept with him. Yes, it was just a gag they were slipping past Standards, but it still hurts the character, IMO.

How do you know she slept with him? Maybe they took the dinner together, or something else.

SupermanNYC

[26]Jan 15, 2007
    • level: 45
    I love her character!!

sylent_asassin

[28]Jan 16, 2007
    • level: 26
    Shayera-Hol wrote:

How do you know she slept with him? Maybe they took the dinner together, or something else.

They didn't come out and say it, but they insinuated towards the fact. In Shadow of the Hawk Hall was talking about what she was wearing on their date and she replied, "You didn't mind when it was off last night." ...or something to that effect. I thought it was tacky; like because she was having problems in her love life, she resorted to becoming a whore. I know it's a real life situation, but still... it's in bad taste for a cartoon that supposed to revolve around heroes.

gamerboy190

[29]Jan 17, 2007
    • level: 18
    Shayera-Hol wrote:

Maybe she can be little "aggressive", but in fact she is "sensitive", because in the episode "Hereafter", when Superman "died", she cried on the mountains (I think she was the only who cried, she and Diana at begin, because the others don't cried)-in JL, but in JLU she isn't so "aggressive" (Wake the Dead, and Hunter's Moon).

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/jl/episodes/hereafter/p1/Pan05.jpg

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/jl/episodes/hereafter/p1/Pan03.jpg

Nice links. I like her, but like Blackstar stated, she can be a b*tch and get on your nerves.

loganrogue24

[30]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 6
    Shayera reminds me of Rogue from x-men tough sassy kicks ass, yet a little lonely but not in a sissy kind of way.

MajLorne

[31]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 21

At first I really didn't Hawkgirl as I thought she was in the show replacing Hawkman due to political correctness to have one more female members. But after the events of "Starcrossed", I started to accept her more especially how now she doesn't hide her face behind that helmet anymore and we get to see her face and she does look great.

So first half, disliked her. Second half, I like her more.

DarthFreeza

[32]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 23

I just spent about a half hour reading every post on this forum and need a deep breath...

Ok, let me just say, I havn't seen that many episodes of Justice League (Unlimited) so I can only give opinions on what I know. She always did seem very agressive in seasons 1 & 2 (havn't seen her in JLU). I have to say though, the episode where shee leaves the Justice League after she helped an invasion of her people was the first episode I saw (Pt 2 second ofcource). I loved that episode. They actually had the guts to make someone leave (even though from what I've heard she coems back). Besides that I've seen her few times. I recall in the first episode, she wasn't as much of a speaker as Batman, Superman or Green Lantern. I really don't have much else to say. Other than these episodes, I only recall seeing Wild Cards and don't remember Hawkgirl's attitude.

Shayera-Hol

[33]Feb 19, 2008
    Well, you should see JLU then, because she is different there, and I am sure you'll change your mind about her.

gamerboy190

[34]Feb 19, 2008
    Shayera-Hol wrote:
    Well, you should see JLU then, because she is different there, and I am sure you'll change your mind about her.

She softened a lot, which gave her character development.

MajLorne

[35]Feb 19, 2008
    And that's what made her character much better in JLU as opposed to JL where she was just one dimensional in fighting the bad guys w/her mace.

gamerboy190

[36]Feb 20, 2008
    MajLorne wrote:
    And that's what made her character much better in JLU as opposed to JL where she was just one dimensional in fighting the bad guys w/her mace.

Exactly.

DarthFreeza

[37]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 23
    Shayera-Hol wrote:
    Do you know any websites of the sort that I could watch a few JL and JLU episodes on then? I'd rather not buy the DVD's unless I knew that I'd like it and even then I have to prioratize the money I make into multiple debts and food Etc which leaves me very little spending money left.

theportal

[38]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 26
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    Shayera-Hol wrote:
    Do you know any websites of the sort that I could watch a few JL and JLU episodes on then? I'd rather not buy the DVD's unless I knew that I'd like it and even then I have to prioratize the money I make into multiple debts and food Etc which leaves me very little spending money left.

I highly recommend you buy the DVDs. JLU season 1 is the best of all the DCAU sets. That's right, even better than B:TAS volume 3 or JL season 2. It's amazingly consistent and has really epic story-telling.

However, make sure you've seen all of S:TAS and hopefully Batman Beyond too before watching too much of JL/JLU.

Parsec54

[39]Feb 21, 2008

Having only seen a handful of the first season of Justice League, I can only comment on what I've seen of her. Since I liked Hawkgirl in the comics, I really have to say I wanted to like her in this but from what I have seen, this failed to give her any dimension really. I did find it odd that they included her without Hawkman, but I could see in a way why they didn't. It might have made her seem more like a sidekick than a major character. Still, in the poll, I clicked on liking her because I still think like the fact that the creators chose to use her since she was virtually a rather unknown character for the most part before this.

However, I do have a question about her, while speaking of her. In the episode War World, she and Green Lantern are being transported supposedly to their destination to find Superman and Jon in some alien's spaceship. In close quarters, there isn't much room and at one point, Shayera says "Ow, would you mind getting off my wing?" Since when were her wings actually a part of her body, with nerves and all? In every comic I've ever seen, the wings were part of the costume, so what's the deal there?

Edited on 02/21/2008 6:06pm

MajLorne

[40]Feb 21, 2008
    theportal wrote:
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    Shayera-Hol wrote:
    I highly recommend you buy the DVDs. JLU season 1 is the best of all the DCAU sets. That's right, even better than B:TAS volume 3 or JL season 2. It's amazingly consistent and has really epic story-telling. However, make sure you've seen all of S:TAS and hopefully Batman Beyond too before watching too much of JL/JLU.
    I've seen all of them B:TAS, B:GK, S:TAS, Batman Beyond, all seasons of JL and JLU. I have to say I like the 2nd season of JLU the most w/JLU 1st and 2nd seasons.