Justice League Unlimited Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Poll: What do you think of Hawkgirl?

Where does she rank in your mind?

theportal

[41]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 26
    Parsec54 wrote:

Having only seen a handful of the first season of Justice League, I can only comment on what I've seen of her. Since I liked Hawkgirl in the comics, I really have to say I wanted to like her in this but from what I have seen, this failed to give her any dimension really. I did find it odd that they included her without Hawkman, but I could see in a way why they didn't. It might have made her seem more like a sidekick than a major character. Still, in the poll, I clicked on liking her because I still think like the fact that the creators chose to use her since she was virtually a rather unknown character for the most part before this.

However, I do have a question about her, while speaking of her. In the episode War World, she and Green Lantern are being transported supposedly to their destination to find Superman and Jon in some alien's spaceship. In close quarters, there isn't much room and at one point, Shayera says "Ow, would you mind getting off my wing?" Since when were her wings actually a part of her body, with nerves and all? In every comic I've ever seen, the wings were part of the costume, so what's the deal there?

I don't want to spoil anything for you, but those questions are answered. Hawkgirl got very little development in season 1, but starting in season 2 she gets a lot of focus. You really must watch the future seasons of JL and JLU.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Shayera-Hol

[42]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 20
    theportal wrote:
    Parsec54 wrote:

Having only seen a handful of the first season of Justice League, I can only comment on what I've seen of her. Since I liked Hawkgirl in the comics, I really have to say I wanted to like her in this but from what I have seen, this failed to give her any dimension really. I did find it odd that they included her without Hawkman, but I could see in a way why they didn't. It might have made her seem more like a sidekick than a major character. Still, in the poll, I clicked on liking her because I still think like the fact that the creators chose to use her since she was virtually a rather unknown character for the most part before this.

However, I do have a question about her, while speaking of her. In the episode War World, she and Green Lantern are being transported supposedly to their destination to find Superman and Jon in some alien's spaceship. In close quarters, there isn't much room and at one point, Shayera says "Ow, would you mind getting off my wing?" Since when were her wings actually a part of her body, with nerves and all? In every comic I've ever seen, the wings were part of the costume, so what's the deal there?

I don't want to spoil anything for you, but those questions are answered. Hawkgirl got very little development in season 1, but starting in season 2 she gets a lot of focus. You really must watch the future seasons of JL and JLU.
    Agreed. And it is so easy to find them. youtube.com and veoh.com you can watch almost of them there, especially on the second website
    Edited on 02/22/2008 9:38pm

D--------------

[43]Feb 24, 2008
    • level: 7
    Hawkgirl is my favorite character on JL and JLU. You really get to see the development of a character. She has depth and feelings that we can relate to. The only bad thing I would say is that the writers left us hanging and never resolved the whole love triangle thing with Green Lantern.

Shayera-Hol

[44]Feb 25, 2008
    D-------------- wrote:
    Hawkgirl is my favorite character on JL and JLU. You really get to see the development of a character. She has depth and feelings that we can relate to. The only bad thing I would say is that the writers left us hanging and never resolved the whole love triangle thing with Green Lantern.
    Agreed. Yay another Hawkgirl fan welcome here. ^_^

MajLorne

[45]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 21
    D-------------- wrote:
    Well assuming Warhawk [Batman Beyond's 'The Call'] is indeed Shayera and John's son then it is likely they eventually did hook up and continued that relationship otherwise he'd be part of an alternate future.
    Edited on 02/25/2008 1:36pm

D--------------

[46]Mar 3, 2008
    Yeah, that's true about Warhawk, but it would have been nice to "see" it. I'd like to have a concrete resolution.

maya14belle

[47]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 8
    gamerboy190 wrote:
    Shayera-Hol wrote:
    Well, you should see JLU then, because she is different there, and I am sure you'll change your mind about her.

She softened a lot, which gave her character development.

How did she softened? Also, I look at the Justice League Unlimited intro. Why did she no longer wear that headdress she had in the beginning?

Shayera-Hol

[48]Mar 8, 2008
    maya14belle wrote:
    gamerboy190 wrote:
    Shayera-Hol wrote:
    Well, you should see JLU then, because she is different there, and I am sure you'll change your mind about her.

How did she softened? Also, I look at the Justice League Unlimited intro. Why did she no longer wear that headdress she had in the beginning?
    1. She is not that tough anymore, but she is still almost the same Hawkgirl we knew.
    2. She doesn't wear it since Starcrossed, because she is not a Hawkgirl anymore, she is just Shayera Hol.

DarthFreeza

[49]Mar 9, 2008
    • level: 23
    theportal wrote:
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    Shayera-Hol wrote:
    Do you know any websites of the sort that I could watch a few JL and JLU episodes on then? I'd rather not buy the DVD's unless I knew that I'd like it and even then I have to prioratize the money I make into multiple debts and food Etc which leaves me very little spending money left.

I highly recommend you buy the DVDs. JLU season 1 is the best of all the DCAU sets. That's right, even better than B:TAS volume 3 or JL season 2. It's amazingly consistent and has really epic story-telling.

However, make sure you've seen all of S:TAS and hopefully Batman Beyond too before watching too much of JL/JLU.
    There lies a problem. Superman TAS was never really "the show which I knew everything about".

maya14belle

[50]Mar 9, 2008
    Shayera-Hol wrote:
    maya14belle wrote:
    gamerboy190 wrote:
    Shayera-Hol wrote:

1. She is not that tough anymore, but she is still almost the same Hawkgirl we knew.
    2. She doesn't wear it since Starcrossed, because she is not a Hawkgirl anymore, she is just Shayera Hol.

I think she looks more gentle without the headdress. It is strange though to see her without it.

D--------------

[51]Mar 9, 2008
    I also like to see Hawkgirl without her mask. It brings out her softer side. It's as if she no longer has anything to hide.

maya14belle

[52]Mar 9, 2008
    D-------------- wrote:
    I also like to see Hawkgirl without her mask. It brings out her softer side. It's as if she no longer has anything to hide.

I think that headdress was a symbol of her secrets.

theportal

[53]Mar 10, 2008
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    theportal wrote:
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    Shayera-Hol wrote:
    Do you know any websites of the sort that I could watch a few JL and JLU episodes on then? I'd rather not buy the DVD's unless I knew that I'd like it and even then I have to prioratize the money I make into multiple debts and food Etc which leaves me very little spending money left.

I highly recommend you buy the DVDs. JLU season 1 is the best of all the DCAU sets. That's right, even better than B:TAS volume 3 or JL season 2. It's amazingly consistent and has really epic story-telling.

However, make sure you've seen all of S:TAS and hopefully Batman Beyond too before watching too much of JL/JLU.
    There lies a problem. Superman TAS was never really "the show which I knew everything about".

You'll still survive (I did ) but I would suggest that you watch "Apokolips... Now!", "Legacy", "A Fish Story" and any others you have time to watch. Because Superman's villains and allies get a lot of screentime in JL/JLU. And I know you've seen "World's Finest", so you should also watch "Knight Time" and "The Demon Reborn".

DarthFreeza

[54]Mar 15, 2008
    • level: 23
    theportal wrote:
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    theportal wrote:
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    Shayera-Hol wrote:

You'll still survive (I did ) but I would suggest that you watch "Apokolips... Now!", "Legacy", "A Fish Story" and any others you have time to watch. Because Superman's villains and allies get a lot of screentime in JL/JLU. And I know you've seen "World's Finest", so you should also watch "Knight Time" and "The Demon Reborn".
    I've seen every episode up to "Little Girl Lost". Anything after that is either a blurr to me or I never saw it. Aside from "World's Finest" and "Knight Time" thats all of Superman TAS I've seen but your putting in a good word for it.

theportal

[55]Mar 16, 2008
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    theportal wrote:
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    theportal wrote:
    DarthFreeza wrote:
    Shayera-Hol wrote:

I've seen every episode up to "Little Girl Lost". Anything after that is either a blurr to me or I never saw it. Aside from "World's Finest" and "Knight Time" thats all of Superman TAS I've seen but your putting in a good word for it.

I remember when S:TAS season 1 came to the UK and frankly, I hated it. I trust those childhood instincts. However, I eventually caved in and got the DVDs because I was really curious to see how the aspects of S:TAS in the other DCAU shows originated. Having already seen the explosives showdowns in JLU with Superman's villains, I got a real kick out of S:TAS upon finally watching the DVDs. It was just extremely cool and satisfying to see how Brainiac and the others started out.

Anyway, DarthFreeza, I hope you get to see the remainder of S:TAS and Batman Beyond. There are some phoenominal episodes that you haven't discovered yet that I only saw myself in the last few years.

MajLorne

[56]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 21
    maya14belle wrote:
    I think she looks more gentle without the headdress. It is strange though to see her without it.
    I never liked the headdress in the first place and though strange to see her without it the first time was strange. I eventually got used to seeing her without it and she looks much better without it and also looks good wearing her new outfit.
    Edited on 03/18/2008 1:15am

maya14belle

[57]Mar 22, 2008
    Parsec54 wrote:

On her relationship with Green Lantern. In the episode Wild Cards Part 1, how did the beginning of the episode show romance between the two? Also, near the end when they were arguing over a bomb. How did that arguing also show romance? I could tell the argument did show romance because of Joker's comment on it. Asking if there was something going on between Hawkgirl and Green Lantern.

maya14belle

[58]Mar 23, 2008
    maya14belle wrote:
    Parsec54 wrote:

On her relationship with Green Lantern. In the episode Wild Cards Part 1, how did the beginning of the episode show romance between the two? Also, near the end when they were arguing over a bomb. How did that arguing also show romance? I could tell the argument did show romance because of Joker's comment on it. Asking if there was something going on between Hawkgirl and Green Lantern.

Someone answer my questions please, I really want to know the answers!

Shayera-Hol

[59]Mar 23, 2008
    Okay, I'll answer. But you have to see the episode, try on youtube or veoh.

In the episode Wild Cards Part 1, at the beginning they were arguing, about a bank, and John said: What is it with you? Everytime we're together you're like this. And Shayera said: I don't know what you're talking about. And then John said: Yes, you do. But then the computer found an adress, so everything ended. Second question, Joker put bombs everywhere in town and the league must defuse them. And John went together with Shayera. And it showed romance because well.....they were just arguing: Shayera: Maybe you should let me defuse it. John: Maybe you should shut up. And then he touched her hand, nothing more. The Joker said: Will Green Lantern ever admit to his feelings? Will Hawkgirl ever stop sublimating her passions with that big honkin' mace? Will true love conquer all? Not on my show! And then, in the end of Wild Cards part 2 they kissed.
    Green Lantern: You know how we feel about each other. Shayera: John... Green Lantern: And I know you feel the same way. Shayera: It's not that simple. John, this can't go any further. Green Lantern: Why not? Shayera: Well... we work together. Green Lantern: So? Guess we have something in common. Shayera: We can't be worrying about each other when we're fighting the bad guys. Green Lantern: Too late for that. What else you got? Shayera: Ugh... It's crazy, I mean, look at us. Just look at us. Green Lantern: I see a man, and a woman. And then Green Lantern removes Shayera's helmet. They slowly get closer and kiss.

maya14belle

[60]Mar 23, 2008
    Shayera-Hol wrote:
    Okay, I'll answer. But you have to see the episode, try on youtube or veoh.

In the episode Wild Cards Part 1, at the beginning they were arguing, about a bank, and John said: What is it with you? Everytime we're together you're like this. And Shayera said: I don't know what you're talking about. And then John said: Yes, you do. But then the computer found an adress, so everything ended. Second question, Joker put bombs everywhere in town and the league must defuse them. And John went together with Shayera. And it showed romance because well.....they were just arguing: Shayera: Maybe you should let me defuse it. John: Maybe you should shut up. And then he touched her hand, nothing more. The Joker said: Will Green Lantern ever admit to his feelings? Will Hawkgirl ever stop sublimating her passions with that big honkin' mace? Will true love conquer all? Not on my show! And then, in the end of Wild Cards part 2 they kissed.
    Green Lantern: You know how we feel about each other. Shayera: John... Green Lantern: And I know you feel the same way. Shayera: It's not that simple. John, this can't go any further. Green Lantern: Why not? Shayera: Well... we work together. Green Lantern: So? Guess we have something in common. Shayera: We can't be worrying about each other when we're fighting the bad guys. Green Lantern: Too late for that. What else you got? Shayera: Ugh... It's crazy, I mean, look at us. Just look at us. Green Lantern: I see a man, and a woman. And then Green Lantern removes Shayera's helmet. They slowly get closer and kiss.

I did see the episode. I just didn't get the romance in Wild Cards Pt. 1. But still, how could that arguing be a sign of romance? It didn't seem so to me.