Justice League Unlimited Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

They've already Poluted the DC Comics timeline, why not bring more Sidekicks bac

Chrisin99

[21]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 2
    Didn't NightWing make a Cameo appearance on the 5th and Final season of The Justice League? ( or The 2nd Season of Justice League Unlimited, for those of you who wanted to get teachnical and precise)And if so, in which episode was that?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

theportal

[22]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 26
    Chrisin99 wrote:
    Didn't NightWing make a Cameo appearance on the 5th and Final season of The Justice League? ( or The 2nd Season of Justice League Unlimited, for those of you who wanted to get teachnical and precise)And if so, in which episode was that?

"Grudge Match", as I've also said in the other threads you posted this same message in, word for word. You don't have to be so drastic in your efforts to get people's attention.

Andy639_basic

[23]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 11
    Supergirl isn't a sidekick; Superman doesn't have sidekicks. Supergirl is Superman's cousin, but she's always been a hero on her own right since day one; same for Superboy.

-Silverstar-

[24]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 9
    Darknight57 wrote:
    I can't think of much that sidekicks would have added. Bringing them in would make it complicated to see them as equal team members, when I see Green Lantern and Green Arrow together in the league I think of them as equals but if I saw Batman and Robin in the league I wouldn't be able to help seeing Batman as the superior. With Batman and Robin or Green Arrow and Speedy or any superhero/sidekick duo, it's exactly as their titles suggest one is the hero and the others a sidekick. In a team like Justice League you must be able to consider them all basically on the same level as each other, obviously strength levels and powers will vary but in the end they are all more or less as experienced and in the same league. It's inevitable that if a team had a bunch of superheros and a bunch of sidekicks the heroes would not consider the sidekicks on the same level as them and would not allow them on certain missions, think the new recruits in "X-men : Evolution".

(Wow. Somebody brought this thread back!)

Anyway, I agree with the above: on a team consisting of both established heroes and sidekicks, there would come the inevitable separation of the sidekicks from the heroes. Case in point: Super Friends, where Robin, Zan, Jayna, Firestorm and Cyborg were all generally considered 'rookies' by the heroes as well as the villains they faced, and each was sidelined from duty due to their youth and relative inexperience at some point in the series.

JLU51306

[25]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 18

There's is no reason for side kicks in JLU, All side kicks are just weaker versions of the heros that there side kicks for, there for there is no purpose because they don't really add anything.

and Nightwing did make a tiny apperance in JLU, here's the link for the picture: http://worldsfinestonline.com/WF/jlu/bios/nightwing/01.jpg and this is the episode "Grudge Match" where the episode takes place is the city that nightwing protects and he was only in the episode for 3 seconds, It seems the writers threw that in there for just a tease.

-Silverstar-

[26]Apr 6, 2007
    JLU51306 wrote:

There's is no reason for side kicks in JLU, All side kicks are just weaker versions of the heros that there side kicks for, there for there is no purpose because they don't really add anything.

And goodness knows that JLU had enough redundant heroes and weak links already. Another reason sidekicks wouldn't work is the simple that they'd never be considered equals alongside their respective mentors, and the members of the Justice League have to be more or less equal in order for the team dynamic to work. Robin can be the formidable, stoic leader in the Teen Titans, but as soon you place him next to Batman, he's immediately reduced to just being Batsy's sidekick again.

:

and Nightwing did make a tiny apperance in JLU, here's the link for the picture: http://worldsfinestonline.com/WF/jlu/bios/nightwing/01.jpg and this is the episode "Grudge Match" where the episode takes place is the city that nightwing protects and he was only in the episode for 3 seconds, It seems the writers threw that in there for just a tease.

That would be Bludhaven. And that's basically correct. With the Bat-Embargo in place, an Easter egg appearance is all we could ever hope to see of Nightwing on the show. It's also worth mentioning that the show's writers set a 'no sidekicks in the League' rule as far back as season 1.

JLU51306

[27]Apr 7, 2007
    nightwing is one of my favorite heroes and I would have loved to see him at least get and speaking part, although your right about the Bat embargo.

Woodpecker1940

[28]May 15, 2007
    • level: 6
    Speedy wasn't a true member of the Justice League he has only a reserve for when they needed his help and absolutly didn't have anyone else to go to.

I agree about Supergirl not being a sidekick, she just sometimes teamed up with Superman. And her appearance was important to Cadmus. After Cadmus was done i guess they didn't have any use for her and made her join the Legion.

I don't know if Nightwing has any affiliation with the Justice League. He could have the same status as Speedy. But it would have been nice to see him appear.

Speedy's only appearance on the show was allowed because of homage to the seven soldiers. But this raises more questions. Why couldn't Robin or Dick Grayson appear in Ultimatum? It was obviously a SuperFriends homage. And since Green Arrow had a partner, did Aquaman also have Aqualad?

-Silverstar-

[29]May 15, 2007

Woodpecker1940 wrote:
    I don't know if Nightwing has any affiliation with the Justice League. He could have the same status as Speedy. But it would have been nice to see him appear.
    Nightwing doesn't have any affiliation with the League; in the comics, he's the leader of The Outsiders, and he won't ever join the League in any capacity as long as Batman is a member. After their falling out, Dick will never be on the same team as Bruce. However, Nightwing did make an Easter egg appearance in "Grudge Match"; we his silhouette standing in front of Bludhaven's city limits sign.

:
    Speedy's only appearance on the show was allowed because of homage to the seven soldiers. But this raises more questions. Why couldn't Robin or Dick Grayson appear in Ultimatum? It was obviously a SuperFriends homage. And since Green Arrow had a partner, did Aquaman also have Aqualad?

Robin was still appearing on Teen Titans, and so he couldn't be used on Justice League thanks to both the Bat Embargo and the 'no sidekicks' rule that was established by the show's producers early on. (Note how Robin didn't join the cast of The Batman until after TT ended.) Aqualad was also on TT as a member of Titans East, and Aquaman didn't appear in the last season of JLU because he was slated to get his own live-action series on the CW that fall, so no Aquaman characters.

Another reason they couldn't use Robin on JLU was because then they'd have to conclusively decide which Robin the one on TT was. The TT Robin is neither Dick nor Tim, but a composite of them both.

Anyway, it's not like Robin's presence would've added anything to "Ultimatum"; Robin's being there also wouldn't have made much sense to the story, since initially the League members scoffed at the Ultimen because they felt they were inexpereinced kids, it wouldn't have made sense for them to have that attitude towards teenaged heroes if the League had Robin numbered among their ranks. Robin's appearing on Justice League would've been a major event in itself, given how prominent Batman was on the show, and how Robin had been absent on the show entirely up to that point. So a Robin guest shot would have been better suited as an episode all its' own, rather than just sticking him in "Ultimatum". It wouldn't have been worth using Robin in that episode just to have him stand around and say "Holy (fill in the blank), Batman!"

Edited on 05/15/2007 8:44am

sylent_asassin

[30]May 15, 2007
    I'm going to start collecting royalties on the usage of my catch phrases.

-Silverstar-

[31]May 15, 2007
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    Ah, you noticed.  Sorry. It's just that you always say such clever things. Not bad for a guy who doesn't have writers.

sylent_asassin

[32]May 16, 2007
    -Silverstar- wrote:
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    Ah, you noticed.  Sorry. It's just that you always say such clever things. Not bad for a guy who doesn't have writers.

I actually find it flattering. As they say, "Immitation is the greatest form of flattery." It's funny. At one point, there were three other guys in the Wrestling forums using my catch phrase while it was STILL in my signature.

gamerboy190

[33]May 21, 2007
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    -Silverstar- wrote:
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    Ah, you noticed. Sorry. It's just that you always say such clever things. Not bad for a guy who doesn't have writers.

I actually find it flattering. As they say, "Immitation is the greatest form of flattery." It's funny. At one point, there were three other guys in the Wrestling forums using my catch phrase while it was STILL in my signature.

Yeah...Your phrases are cool.

Chrisin99

[34]Nov 27, 2007
    • level: 2
    DUH!!