Justice League Unlimited

Hawk and Dove

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Aug 21, 2004 on Cartoon Network

• War and Peace

After a delay or two, we see the episode that seems to represent the "new format" - a full episode that has one old-school Leaguer and two newbies going off on a mission coordinated by J'onn. We don't have to have the whole set-up that we did in Initiation, which gives us more time to dwell on the new folks...theoretically.

The odd part is that we got more character development of the guest stars (Green Arrow, Captain Atom, Supergirl) in "Initiation," which had to set up the new concept, then we got here. And we only had two characters to cover here. Hawk and Dove come across here as what they often were in the comics - walking cliches representing their respective embodiment/viewpoints. Did anybody come away from this episode with any insight into these two? No? Didn't think so.

At best the two were an example of "joke" casting, with the guys from The Wonder Years in basically a role-reversal. Fred Savage is the aggressive one. But really they didn't serve much purpose here. Why are they the best choices for this mission? Particularly since they don't show up when summoned. Granted, this isn't clear - are all the Leaguers now supposed to be on duty 24/7? If they don't respond, why not get someone else?

The brief bit with J'onn is actually better - his appeal to Wonder Woman based on their changes since coming to the world.

That leaves Wonder Woman, who gets a bit of characterization here. One gets the impression that Hawk & Dove are here more as a plot point for her character development - she's tending toward violence but Dove shows her the value of Peace. In the comics, Hawk & Dove's dad originally was the balance between the two - here, it's Wonder Woman.

Ares makes an adequate villain - more of a planner (as he often is in the comics) then someone who slugs it out with the heroes. Not much to him here, or any real hints of his back story (for good or ill) with the Amazons and Wonder Woman. Hephaestus (voiced by long time cartoon-voice actor Edward Asner) makes more of an impression here - crafting the big threat and later providing some zest to the meeting between him and Wonder Woman.

What's up with hiring Patrick Bauchau just to waste him in a 30 second bit-part?

This seemed to be the first episode to suffer from the half-hour episode length. We really didn't find out much about Hawk & Dove, or be given a reason to care about them. Why they went with the male/male team, which got dropped from the comics decades ago, isn't really clear.

The bits about Wonder Woman's mother, and the return to Kaznia, touched on some previous elements in the series and provided a nice bit of continuity. There really isn't much to Wonder Woman's "characterization" here, since it pretty much arises out of nowhere and presumably will disappear again after she resolves her issue her.

Overall, this one was probably among the worst so far. The bar scene was padded and seemed unnecessary to provide a "intro" to the characters. There was way too much of the "blurring" F/X and no real computer animation this time around. The characterization was pretty two-dimensional and forgettable, and we weren't really given anyone to care about. Overall, I'd have to give this one a thumbs-down.
  • It's a wonder this episode worked at all...

A bit of a step back in standards, "Hawk and Dove" does very little to explore these new heroes who are introduced in this episode. It's mostly about setup, which is a shame, as the main story comes off as a little preachy. I, for one, would have liked to see more than just a few lines about how ones a fighter and the other is a pacifist, and while we do learn a bit more about Diana, they're only fleeting comments, too. The plot never quite sets aflame, and the script, while witty, hardly takes advantage of the story elements at hand - Diana's distrust on the human race would have made for some excellent storytelling. The meeting with hephaestus is beautifully shot, however, and the episode itself looks crisp and booms with all sorts of colour palettes. It's the first example of the 25 minute episode not really working and feeling only half-cooked.
  • In this episode of JLU, Hawk and Dove help Wonderwoman fight in a civil war.

This episode of JLU was action filled as always and it introduced 2 new heroes Hawk, and Dove. In the episode there is a civil war raging in a land called Kasnia. There Hawk, Dove, and Wonderwoman try to keep the peace. This episode did not appeal to me as the others as much, and I don't really know why but the story seemed a little irrelevant to me. Anyway this was still a good episode and a must see for Hawk and Dove fans.
  • this wasn't my favorite episode but it was good.

7.6
    this episdoe was good, not great, but good. this episode is about a robot that can't be stoped as wonder woman recruit's hawk and dove to help, but it seems there no way to stop this destructive machine, but wonder woman see's an emblem on the front of the robot and she knows who made it, so she knows there's one weakness to the makers creation, the only way to stop it from destroying everything is to stop fighting it, this episode had a great plot.
  • The God of Chaos unleashes an unstoppable suit of armer. Crap. Wonder Woman and Hawk get tossed around a lot. Crap X2. Dove pwns without moving a muscle. Now THAT is skill.

I don't care what anybody else says about this episode, it is a personal favorite of mine. The characters of Hawk and Dove far overshadowed the actual star of the episode, Wonder Woman. Then again, I've never been particularly fond of Wonder Woman, so that might explain it. But nonetheless, I still really love Hawk and Dove. Especially Dove. I'd marry him if he was a real person. He's a sweetheart. And he, the pacifist, succeeded where his more violent teammates failed. He also stared down a suit of armor twice his size that could crush a friggin' TANK, WITHOUT flinching. That takes balls. That really earned him browny points. The plot was interesting from a socio-political standpoint, and maybe that was why other people are so quick to dismiss it. They don't want to think about some of the issues brought up. Most people watch cartoons to escape from reality, and to include real would issues into cartoons is generally a recipe for disaster if it isn't approached properly. I personally thought the plot was done well, but apparently most people don't share my views.
  • Yes, we "meet" Hawk and Dove, but we learn more about Wonder Woman.

This episode is interesting for one reason. We "meet" Hawk and Dove, but we learn more about Wonder Woman. We find out that Hawk and Dove exist, and that's about it. It's obvious that one is a pacifist and the other is a warrior. I guess that's all there is to know, but I wanted to learn more.

As for Wonder Woman, we see she is being affected by living with humans. Humans fight and are aggressive. This is starting to wear on Diana as she almost destroyed a punk that robbed a bank. A little over kill, but she thinks it is warranted. That's the problem.

J'onn notices this and recognizes it for what it is. He even tries to mentor her since he is also feeling the effects of living with humans. She does not recognize this until near the end of the episode. Better late than never.

As an episode this one is okay, but not entirely exciting. There is only slight character development for Diana, but none for Hawk and Dove who likely will not appear in the series again anyways. Ares is predictable like much of the plot and does not really get a chance to shine.
  • special indead.

4.1
    There was no point in this episode. Hawk and Dove needed a lot more. It was dumb. Why did J'onn pair Wonder Woman up with them? Why didn't the League send more members to solve the war? What exact point did Hawk play in this episode? It was Dove and Wonder Woman who saved the day. Hawk did nothing. It did developement on Dove. I guess it was to set up Peace is the best way to go vibe. Like the lessons on the old Super friends episodes. The episode was more of an example episode than Powerful J.L.U action filled episode.