Justice League Unlimited

I Am Legion

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Sep 17, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• Great story telling still miss the hour long episodes but I do like the fact they show two 30 minute shows... Great story writing.

Just one thing I wish they do an episode in the future involving Superman, Supergirl and Bizzaro. Seeing how Bizzaro is "with" the Legion of Doom it would be interesting to see if Superman can change his mind since technically he is his "brother" or father since Bizzaro is made out of the same genetic material as Superman. Just think it would tell I nice story. Seeing how Bizzaro does show signs like Grundy of having a geniunely good heart. I know this has nothing to do with the I AM LEGION story just an off tangent comment.
  • Luthor escapes from prison and gets away with the help of Grodd. Still under the influence of Brainiac, Grodd hold the final piece of Brainiac, and knows Luthor desires it. Grodd makes him a deal, join his newly created Legion of Doom, or he's a dead man.

This episode started out with promise, but kinda lacked in an entertaining story. The writing was very well done, but it just lacked that first episode of the new season necessities. It starts out with Grodd rescuing Luthor from half of the Metropolis police force. He is then taken to Grodd's newly created legion of doom. A humongous super structure, definetely reminicient of the super friends cartoons. Anyways, Grodd's deal is that he's sick of being unable to make a "dishonest buck," as he so elequently put it, and has basically created his own justice league of villians. However, the villians pay him to join his group, and that is how they make their money, by pulling heists in teams, and Grodd reaps the benefits. We also learn that Luthor is still under the control of Brainiac, and that Grodd posseses the only known piece left of Braniac. Luthor wants it bad, and Grodd knows it. He offers Luthor a place in his Legion, and while Luthor at first resists, he knows he must put up with Grodd's demands, at least for now. And so is then put to the test. Meanwhile, Shayera, Superman, and Aztek examine the last place Luthor was seen, and their they meet the mysterious new governmentliasion to the Justice League. Nothing is really know of him now, but I'm sure he'll show up later in the season. Out of nowhere, were taken to an elderly couples home, where we learn that the old man is really a Blackhawk, one of the special pilots from World War 2 that the team met when they traveled back in time to stop Vandal Savage. His communicator is beeping like crazy, and this can only mean one thing, trouble on Blackhawk island. He contacts Shayera, and her along with Flash and Fire, who Flash is completely obsessed with in this episode, travel with the Blackhawk pilot to Blackhawk island, to investigate the signal. As it turns out, Luthor, along with the Key, and Dr. Polaris, are on the island and are trying to acquire something important. After a lengthy battle, the three villians get away with an artifact, and Flash Fire, and Shayera save the island from destruction. Afterwards, Luthor brings Grodd the object that they had stolen, an old spear to which belonged to Hitler, claiming it gave him ultimate power. Grodd, explains that the spear was merely a test, and that the spear is useless. Luthor, enraged, warns Grodd, that he will kill him eventually, but for now they will work together. END-J
  • The Legion of Doom Unleased!

It was great seeing The Legion of Doom again.

I liked the way they introduced the group. It seemed to be exactly like Initation.

I loved the desins of The Key and Dr. Polariss. The Key is one of my favorite JLA villans and it was great to see him in the animated universe.

thank God! Flash has a GF. I think it was a good pick however, I would have prefered Jessie Quick. I can't beleve Fire liked him too, Flash behaved like a 11 year old with a crush. It was great.

I liked seeing the black hawks or atleast a member of the team back again. It was good to see a blast from the past.

Overall, good animatetion and great plot. Can't wait too see more Legion of Doom eps.
  • Grodd frees Lex from prison to join his Legion of Doom. His first "test" is to steal an item from Black Hawk island with the Key and Dr. Polaris. Hawkgirl, Flash and Fire are sent to investigate.

Ehh,,,wasn't quite what I expected, but it was entertaining. (WARNING, SPOILERS AHOY!!!) Good Points: Some character development for Fire and Aztec (finally). Interesting relationship developing for Flash and Fire. A crazy Lex and new direction for that charcter. Not-so-good points: The MetroTower, aparently the new HQ for the League and the Black Hawks seemed just kinda "thrown in there". Above average amount of camp which I thought dumbed down the story to a degree of almost making me wish I hadn't looked forward to this episode so intently. The Legion of Doom was OKAY, I'l say it again, it was "OKAY". Nothing really to "wow" or "cool" about it. Nothing new, just seemed like an over inflated Injustice Gang. To me this episode was a lot like "Initiation" in some parts. A not-so-good restart of a series which took time to gain speed in the first place. Could have been better.
  • Great great introduction for the Legion of Doom.

This episode was a fine example of what JLU can do,truly a superb episode this was.

A great season opener too,I really enjoyed it.
    The Flash was funny in this episode(Isn't he always)with his feelings for another Brazilian Female Superhero.

The storyline was unique,and enjoyable.
    I really liked the expansion of Flash and Shyira's big sister and brother relationship.I really liked that,it seems that Shyira really does love Flash for a brother,and looks out for him.

SUPERB episode,I would like to see it again.
  • Lex Luthor—who may or may not possess a residue of Brainiac within his consciousness—is coerced into joining Grodds latest organization. Partnered with Dr. Polaris and the Key, Luthor is sent to Blackhawk Island to retrieve the Spear of Longinus, an ar

7.7
    The title reference refers to a passage in the Bible from the book of Mark 5:1-5, 5:9-

They came to the other side of the sea, to the country of the Gerasenes. And when he had stepped out of the boat, immediately a man out of the tombs with an unclean spirit met him. He lived among the tombs; and no one could restrain him any more, even with a chain; for he had often been restrained with shackles and chain, but the chains he wrenched apart, and the shackles he broke in pieces;and no one had the strength to subdue him. .. Then Jesus asked him,\\\\\\\"What is your name?\\\\\\\" He replied,\\\\\\\"My name is Legion; for we are many.

\\\\\\\"A fitting start off point for the title, might I add. With so many Villians, a homage to the book of mark was was fitting.

This episode was okay, not what I would call a
    favorite, at least not yet. Maybe after I watch it again I will appreciate it more.

It was great to see Grodd again..he has always been a favorite villian on the show since the \\\\\\\"Brave and the Bold\\\\\\\" episode.

It was great seeing Lex again, the opening scene with him being chased in a van by the police was interesting. Although I would have very much liked to have seen an actual prison breakout like they did in Injustice For All\\\\\\\" The scene where Lex is seen riding in the van talking to an imaginary individual was a shocker. I found myself saying \\\\\\\"who the crap is he talking to\\\\\\\" Later it was
    confirmed.

Grodds manipulation of Lex in his weaken state was unexpected, and it will be interesting to see how that plot thread developes. In my opion Grodd has no intention of honoring his pact with Lex. If Brainiac was dangerous, then Lex/Brainiac is extremely dangerous. Flash and Hawkgirls brother/sister relationship dynamic is always a breathe of fresh air. All in all a solid episode, though not a favorite.

• It's official. Lex has lost it.

At the beginning of the episode, you see Lex talking to someone in the Police Van, but no one's there. So you're automatically thinking: either there's a Ghost in the van, or he's gone crazy. Which, of course, you don't rule out entirely. Then you find out that he's really talking to Brainiac, so you're thingking now: ...Yep. he's definately gone Koo-Koo for Cocoa Puffs.

Or... may be it's even crazier than that and when Braniac fused himself with Lex's body,a part of Lex's mind got permanently melded with Braniac's, making it like Lex is having two minds in the same body, which would explain why he's talking to open space... still, it would be fun to say that he's just finally lost it, but then there probably wouldn't be anything for this season worth watching, other than all the couples you want to hook up finally hooking up for once...
    By the way, Shayera really is like Wally's big sister, what with that stunt she pulled on him and Fire on the plane... :D Now that was funny.
    L8er!
  • I believe that this was a great introduction to eh famed Legion of Doom from the original series that appeared in the old Superfriends episode. The outside of the dome is the same as the original.

This show was very good in getting Lex Luther and and the Legion together. I would like to say that I am glad that they incorporated the old outer design of the Legion of Doom from the original Superfriends episode from the 80s. I think this one will be better though because there are more characters to play against one another and many different combinations to make this a highly interesting season.
  • The further development of Flash's character only strengthens my love for this show.

Fantastic. That's how I would describe the second half of this episode. The relationship between Shayera and Flash is still developing in a fun way, and the long-awaited addition of a love-interest for our favourite speedster was phenomenal. Especially since he was too shy to do anything about it. Completely adorable moments!

The Legion of Doom is another story. As fun as it is to see 'Crazy Lex', the plot line was slightly lacking here. Haven't we already had ideas like this? All of the evil villains teamming up against the League? Sound familiar? Of course, that's not to say it wont be exciting-it all depends on how the writers deal with it.

And, although I usually applaud the writers' ability to renew story lines from first and second season, I have to admit that the Blach Hawks thing seemed kind of forced. It's like they threw it in there at the last minute. Yes, Savage Time was an awesome and well thought-out episode, but was it really necessary here?

Overall, the episode was a great starter, with a fair bit of promise for the new season. At least the writers have finally noticed Flash's value(as seen in this episode and the two upcoming feature episodes). I'd definitely recommend this one for the fans!
  • After a scary moment seeing the Legion of Doom, this episode is pretty good.

I must confess that I was concerned when I saw the Legion of Doom headquarters. Like so many children of the 80s, I watched the SuperFriends growing up. I liked the show. You know how some shows you watched as kids will remain cool when you watch them years later? This wasn't one of them. It was extremely cheesy. So to see that headquarters caused me to worry that this program, pretty darned good in all and superb last season, might revert to that level of kitsch. But I trusted the producers and was rewarded. Grodd's explanation for the existence of the Legion and its purpose actually made sense. It wasn't just a bunch of bad guys trying to take over the world. Thank goodness.

So fear assuaged, I was able to sink into this episode. And it is quite good. Lex Luthor's apparent insanity (unless he still has some Brainiac in him) promises to be a good storyline. The story in this episode is pretty good, as well. The action is solid and I especially like the reference to "The Savage Time". However, the real high point of this episode is the introduction of this season's apparent story arc--the Legion of Doom.
  • Episode 501 - I Am Legion - This was a great episode. The unparalleled cartoon wirting continues. The movie people should really just adapt a multi-story arc from this series.

Episode 501 - I Am Legion -

This episode boasting the usual voice talents for the main league members (Shayera and Flash (Rosenbaum) of course but adding the talens of Powers Boothe (Gorilla Grodd), Scott Petterson (Agent Faraday) and Clancy Brown (Lex Luthor). The episode opens with Lex Luthor escaping from prision and oddly talking to himself while being chased by the cops.

When nearly being caught he is whisked away by another criminal and brought before Gorilla Grodd in a dank swamp and is poffered a deal and some secrets are revealed.

For those of you that loved the old Super Friends this is such a great episode. Standing on the edge of a pool in the swap Gorilla Grodd starts to talk to Lex about joining a team and with a click of his remote you see the classic, if updated, HALL OF DOOM!! Yes the Hall of Doom lives and it si infested with many villians and oh man this was such a cool scene.

After touring the HQ Lex is asked to join the team and as he scoffs you see Grodd show him the one lone remaining piece of Brainiac. You find out that Brainiac is still part of Lex (see last season long story arc) and he and Brainic agree to join if they get the piece.

Grodd sends them on a mission to an old Blackhawk strong hold to retrieve an arifact from the vault there.

Flash, Fire, and an old Blackhawk pilot from a previous time travel ep. and Hawkwoman go to stop then. Lex goes with Keymaster and aother villian whose name eludes me. There isnt much head to head combat in this but there is some and a lot of fighting with island defenses.

Ultimately this episode is all about setting up the season story arc I am betting. It was good story and good dialog and over all a very good JLU episode. Like is said for those that loved Super Friends this is a great update of your nostalgia.

Rating: 3 1/2 (out of 4)
  • An episode that sets up a major arc, with nice touches for the fanboys.

This is an excellent start of the new season following what happened last season. We get a taste of where the League stands now (still mixing the \\\"second tier\\\" heroes with the big seven...), as well as a sense of history from all areas; the current JLU series, the comics and some old school Super Friends throwbacks are tossed in. (I loved seeing the old Legion of Doom headquarters in the swamp...)

And we get a glimpse of what\\\'s to come with the formation of the Anti-JLU; just about every super villian joining forces under Gorilla Grodd\\\'s shifty eye. His covert operations are sure to lead to \\\"the big event\\\" whatever it may be.

And it\\\'s always good to see everyone\\\'s favorite bad guy you love hate Lex Luthor, especially the added dimension in this episode.

This was an exciting, fun episode with a promise for more from the guys who have been bringing us some fantastic adventures for 5 years now.
  • The Universe keeps Expanding

I Love the Episodes Focused on the Villains.
    I loved The Secret Society, Task Force X and now I am Legion. I think this adds depth to the universe and makes it more believable...I just hope the show has more air time to expand to it's fullest capacity.

I loved the new Luthor Costume...reminder of the one he used in the Challenge of the Superfriend series but up-to-date.
  • Justice League returns to the airwaves for the fifth and final year.

The Legion of Doom is introduced, featuring dozens of supervillians to counteract the ever-growing Justice League. From the sound of it, the show appears to be growing closer and closer to a carbon copy of "SuperFriends."

Thankfully, the writing makes all the difference. The heroes are serious, devoted and complex rather than cheesy and spouting off one-liners while solving plots in a matter of seconds. And the villians are even better- Grodd describing the Legion (though not referring to it by name) as a business of protection rather than an organization to take down heroes is brilliant.

This episode is not without its flaws, though. Fire's voice actress is TERRIBLE. Her accent sounds incredibly phony and forced, which really lowers the quality of interaction between her and Flash.
  • A good beginning to a new season. Why did I, an insane Flash fan, find this episode enjoyable? Read on...

As you undoubtedly read in the episode 'recap', Hawkgirl, Flash, and Fire head out to foil Luthor and other evil-doers on an island. This is not a normal island, but one that holds very special and potentially dangerous items. Flash is, as always, a little weaker than he should be, but we did see some improved abilities. He was able to spin his arms and stay aloft after dropping from a terrible height. He was also able to make an effective tornado and save the team, effectively.

Although they ulitmately failed in their attempt to stop the crooks, we nevertheless have a good episode with some good character development and good Flash moments. Check it out.

Flash fans unite!!!
  • Lex Luthor becomes the latest member in Gorilla Grodd’s new Secret Society of Super Villains.

Lex Luthor becomes the latest member in Gorilla Grodd’s new Secret Society of Super Villains. “I Am Legion” is a wonderfully great start for the show’s fifth season. Lex is still dealing with the loss his short-lived godhood and is willing to do whatever to regain it including working for Grodd. DC Comics’ fans will be impressed with Secret Society’s super villain lineup and the all too familiar secret headquarters. The Blackhawks are once again in the spotlight. The episode offers many insights into the Blackhawks’ history after World War II. The island’s defenses are quite eccentric. Hawkgirl plays the role of big sister to help Flash impress the well-formed Fire. There is some good chemistry here. Michael Rosembaum (Flash) and Maria Canals (Hawkgirl) also provide the voices for Dr. Polaris and Fire. The episode ends with an uneasy addition into the Secret Society and a warm homage to a group of brave soldiers.
  • Legion of Doom = Old Justice League Unlimited?

As with "Initiation" two seasons ago, "I Am Legion" hits the ground running but really doesn't give us the degree of characterization that episode did.

The similarity to "Initiation" is that the "Legion of Doom" (note that Grodd doesn't refer to them by that name, or any name) just kinda shows up without much explanation A big crowd of faces that you can barely make out, and a quick explanation for why they're all together. The villains must feel rather offended they're all there just to impress Lex Luthor. And who puts a big honking door like that as your entryway? Or maybe it's the "Dramatic Reveal Door" plot device?

Unlike "Initiation," the key players (pardon the pun) aren't really introduced. Unlike Green Arrow, Captain Atom, and Supergirl, new villains Dr. Polaris and the Key don't make much of an impression. A second-rate Magneto and a guy with a key-gun that unlocks guns and fires energy beams - whoo. Grodd is his usual slimy manipulating-others self and Lex seems to still be working on reestablishing the Luthor/Brainiac alliance. But we really don't get much of a feel for the Legion at this point.

The Leaguers are well-rendered although the establishment of the JL Embassies is rather glossed over. How many are there? Why is a Thanagarian, an American, a Brazilian, and a Icelander running the one in (presumably) Metropolis? Flash and Hawkgirl are nicely personalized and the episode focuses on their big sister/little brother relationship which has been hinted at in the past. Hawkgirl does seem a little more forebearing with the guy, after the events of "Divided We Fall" and saving him from the Speed Force. Fire is okay and it's at least interesting to see that some Leaguers look up to the Flash as one of the "senior members."

What really made the episode is the Blackhawk angle, and the fact that we get an unexpected continuity hook-up to "The Savage Time." There Chuck didn't even have dialogue, so it's kind of funny to see him become the main representative here. He gets some time to shine and holds his own against kitschy giant animal-robots and super-villains alike.

The only problem with the Blackhawk subplot was that it seemed to fit on a bit awkwardly to the general plot. The memorial at the end (and Hawkgirl's and Flash's reactions) was very nicely done, but it doesn't really fit with the rest of the episode.

Overall a nice kickoff to the season - it set up the Legion of Doom, but whether they can sustain a story-arc to rival Cadmus remains to be seen.