Justice League Unlimited

I Am Legion

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Sep 17, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• After a scary moment seeing the Legion of Doom, this episode is pretty good.

I must confess that I was concerned when I saw the Legion of Doom headquarters. Like so many children of the 80s, I watched the SuperFriends growing up. I liked the show. You know how some shows you watched as kids will remain cool when you watch them years later? This wasn't one of them. It was extremely cheesy. So to see that headquarters caused me to worry that this program, pretty darned good in all and superb last season, might revert to that level of kitsch. But I trusted the producers and was rewarded. Grodd's explanation for the existence of the Legion and its purpose actually made sense. It wasn't just a bunch of bad guys trying to take over the world. Thank goodness.

So fear assuaged, I was able to sink into this episode. And it is quite good. Lex Luthor's apparent insanity (unless he still has some Brainiac in him) promises to be a good storyline. The story in this episode is pretty good, as well. The action is solid and I especially like the reference to "The Savage Time". However, the real high point of this episode is the introduction of this season's apparent story arc--the Legion of Doom.
CW