Justice League Unlimited

Maid of Honor (1)

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Oct 18, 2003 on Cartoon Network

• Setting up the plot

More then most episodes, this one pretty much sets up part 2 without much of its own to lay claim to. There's a couple of obligatory "Hero beats up the goon" fights but there's really not much excitement here if you're looking for superheroic activities. Colonel Vox is kinda lame (which is why they probably didn't bring him back after that one issue of Metal Men) and it seems odd he can use a jetpack to outfly Wonder Woman.

(That reminds me - can all the Amazons fly? We've never seen Hippolyta fly, have we, despite the 4 or so episodes she appeared in last year.)

The main focus here is Wonder Woman, and we see a lot of her here (not like that, you pervs!). She bonds with the princess, runs around Paris, and gets a little more intro to "man's world."

Batman plays a secondary role - we don't really get quite as much of the Batman/Diana dynamic (first seen in "Brave and the Bold). But it's nice to see Justice Leaguers with social lives, and the first appearance of Bruce Wayne in the series.

Vandal Savage is back...or is he? The writers managed to keep up the mystery surrounding the character, at least until part 2. He's clearly being set up as a James Bond-style villain (we'll see more of this in part 2) although his scheme seems a little overly complicated here. The idea of Wonder Woman knowing him from WW2 is interesting, although it makes for some confusing time-travel paradoxes (see Goofs & Nitpicks).

And of course we don't get any other Leaguers here. This makes for an interesting change from last year - instead of just getting X number of Leaguers in both parts, we get a few in the early part and then the rest come in later (we'll see this again in Eclipsed). It does help to break up the pattern a bit, although it's not clear if they're doing it for storytelling purposes or because they just can't afford to pay all 5-6 voice actors for both parts of the episode.

Overall I'd consider this a decent episode - nothing monumental really occurs but it sets things up for Part 2 and the calamity to come.
  • A very unique episode that explores a side of Wonder Woman that we've never seen before. She is presented as a truly three dimensional character, with flaws, foibles, and a sexier side that proves irresistible.

Diana befriends a princess socialite from another country and gets more than she bargained for when she learns that her new friend is engaged to Vandal Savage--a supervillain and arch nemesis of the Justice League. For the first time, we get to see Diana interact with the real world as a woman with real passions and desires. Her flirtatious interaction with Bruce Wayne comes as a pleasant surprise. We also see that Diana is still somewhat naive about human nature.

The dialogue in this episode is easily some of the best ever written for the series; the witty banter between the young Princess and Diana is superlative. The subtle sexual chemistry between Batman/Wonder Woman and Bruce Wayne/Diana is also a surprising but welcome treat.

While a little lighter on action than most, the character work more than makes up for it, and this episode kept me entertained throughout. The story is surprisingly mature, and the plot, while somewhat derivative, is a bit more sophisticated than many of the typical Justice League stories. The voice work is also very very good. Subtle in the right places. Not overdone. Handled with a deft touch. This is easily one of my favorite story arcs. Highly recommended.
  • Batman and Wonder Woman forever!

I never got to watch this episode. How sad. I want to watch it so badly because I ship BatsWondy. The Batman and Wonder Woman ship is really popular. I ship them because they are very, like, opposite. The Dark Knight is... well, dark, and the warrior/ Themyscira princess is... light.

Okay. I have to write a hundred words. That is mean! I have to write more. Let me see...

They should have more Batman and Wonder Woman episodes, but too bad we all know that Batman is going to end up old and alone, but hey, we can add more to what happens after "Epilogue." Bats could turn all young again.