Justice League Unlimited

Maid of Honor (1)

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Oct 18, 2003 on Cartoon Network

• A very unique episode that explores a side of Wonder Woman that we've never seen before. She is presented as a truly three dimensional character, with flaws, foibles, and a sexier side that proves irresistible.

Diana befriends a princess socialite from another country and gets more than she bargained for when she learns that her new friend is engaged to Vandal Savage--a supervillain and arch nemesis of the Justice League. For the first time, we get to see Diana interact with the real world as a woman with real passions and desires. Her flirtatious interaction with Bruce Wayne comes as a pleasant surprise. We also see that Diana is still somewhat naive about human nature.

The dialogue in this episode is easily some of the best ever written for the series; the witty banter between the young Princess and Diana is superlative. The subtle sexual chemistry between Batman/Wonder Woman and Bruce Wayne/Diana is also a surprising but welcome treat.

While a little lighter on action than most, the character work more than makes up for it, and this episode kept me entertained throughout. The story is surprisingly mature, and the plot, while somewhat derivative, is a bit more sophisticated than many of the typical Justice League stories. The voice work is also very very good. Subtle in the right places. Not overdone. Handled with a deft touch. This is easily one of my favorite story arcs. Highly recommended.