Justice League Unlimited

Panic in the Sky

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Jul 09, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• Continuing the Cadmus storyline, but letting the quality of the story slip compared to the last couple of episodes.

This episode was a bit of a letdown for me. After building up a great storyline over the last few shows, this was one cliche after another. Cadmus attacks the JLU only to eventually realize their mistake and end up joining forces with them against a common threat. Saw that coming. Galatea disobeys her orders to stand down so she can get her revenge on Supergirl. Big shock. The big seven go away, but return just in time to try to save the day at the end. No way.

I was kind of hoping to see the Long Shadow that joined the JLU come out and fight against the attacking Ultimen. He could have tried to reason with them, not realizing they were mindless shells, only to have them swarm him and take him out. It would have been a better end for the character than just never talking about him again so you assume he died of degenerative clone disease or whatever it was.

The biggest letdown of all for me was having Brainiac be behind Luthor's schemes the entire time. I noticed the clue on Luthor's lab equipment in the Flashpoint episode, but I was hoping it was just a coincidence. If Lex had been working *with* Brainiac I don't think I would have had as much of a problem with it, but being controlled by him just sucked. This was such a great opportunity to show what a manipulative evil genius Lex Luthor is and it was ruined. It seemed reasonable to me that Lex would try to create an immortal, all-powerful shell for himself. I don't think the Brainiac twist was necessary.

I have loved the Cadmus storyline up to this point, but this episode just didn't do it for me. Hopefully this storyline can recover and finish on a high note.