Justice League Unlimited

Panic in the Sky

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Jul 09, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• A good show with allusions to the history of the characters. But still just killing time until the next episode.

This episode was good. But I found myself more jazzed about allusions to other things from the comics than the actual goings-on of the show. The Luthor-Brainiac connection is straight out of Alan Moore's Pre-Crisis Superman "Finale" "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorrow," where Luthor and Brainiac fuse to defeat Superman.

Another connection, Luthor's initial plan to fuse with an Amazo substitute. This echoes the ending of the first arch from Alan Moore's Supreme series, which is a farewell and rebuilding of the Superhero genre. Towards the end the Luthor-type character fuses with an Amazo-type villian to have all the powers of the main heroes. I thought this might be a coincedence but later read an interview with one of the show's writers that said they were in part inspired by Supreme.

All in all a decent episode on it's own, but much better when watched along with the following one.