Justice League Unlimited

Patriot Act

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Feb 25, 2006 on Cartoon Network

• This one had so many good things going on at the same time it's a wonder they were able to ruin it with an ending like that. My wife described this one appropriately: "It was just too deep".

With the way this show opened I thought we were in for a real special episode. It had all the ingredients: A Nazi super soldier experiment, some revealing dialogue between Amanda Woller and General Eiling, a JLU squad without support from the super powered members making a desperate stand, the first time appearance of Speedy in JLU with GA. Maybe what we had here was a simple case of too many good things to manage in a half hour time slot - I think not! First of all, there was a golden opportunity here to have some quality dialogue between Speedy and GA. The short length of the episode may have precluded that but it would have been nice to see these two go at verbally. Where this episode really fell short was in its absurd ending. With all those great action sequences with the JLU getting its butt kicked by the General, it all ends when some kindly old lady gives the General (and us) a really nice sermon! COME ON! This villian was vengefully enraged! During the episode he almost kills a kid who has to be saved by Vigilante and now you want us to believe he'd actually stop dead in his tracks to listen to a speech and say to himself, "Yes, I see your point of view. I shall immediatly end the violence and seek solitude so I may consider a differnt course of action." That is just not believable and it is certainly not the ending this episode deserved. Why not end this with the General being subdued or at least run off by the same army he used to command? Or even have Amanda reappear with Cadmus in a position to save the JLU. An ironic surprise twist like this would have made sense. Now we are left with the General bounding around the countryside looking for Superman or maybe Professor Hamilton, his Cadmus cohort who has not been heard from.

Preaching to a TV audience tuned in for action and adventure is a mistake. Yet, I continue to see it done over and over again. If you're going to do it, then you'd better be very subtle about it. "Hawk and Dove" was a Season 3 episode that had a very similar problem and the fans did voice their disapproval. When will the writers ever learn?