Justice League Unlimited

Question Authority

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Jun 25, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• The season long Cadmus arc finally falls into place in this brilliant and incredibly well written episode.

The Question has undoubtedly been one of the great successes of Justice League Unlimited. He is certainly an odd character: a cynical, blank-faced, fedora, and trench coat-wearing paranoid Ayn Randian conspiracy nut. He exists on the far fringes of the League and can easily be described as something of an anti-hero. His obsessiveness and paranoia are clearly flaws, but these flaws give way to a deep desire to serve the common good.

He is certainly on of the most layered and compelling character in the series and that is nowhere more evident than in "Question Authority". The Question fits right in as the character that is trying to get to the bottom of the Cadmus conspiracy. When he gets to the bottom of it he discovers a secret that almost completely unhinges him. He comes to believe that Lex Luthor will instigate Armageddon after becoming president by killing the Flash and then being killed by an angry Superman. He decides to avert this disaster by killing Luthor before Superman can. This selfless, but perhaps lunatic, act fails when Luthor pummels the Question and reveals that there is more to Cadmus and the conspiracy than even the Question could unravel. The Question is captured and tortured only to be rescued by Huntress and Superman.

Superman is in an odd position in this episode. He is the authority that the Question doubts. Why does he doubt him? Well there is certainly the predestination aspect. But there may be a bit more going on here. Perhaps the Question does not doubt Superman's ability to do the right thing. Perhaps he doubts Superman's being the person to do the right thing. After all, the Question thinks that the right thing to do is to kill Lex Luthor. Its just that a "well known crack-pot" has to do it. Who knows?

Most of the action revolves around the Question, Huntress, Superman, and Cadmus. A minor subplot revolves around another Charlton Comics character Captain Atom. Captain Atom is forced to choose between the Air Force and the Justice League. The subplot works and makes for a great conclusion to the episode. It also demonstrates how the writers are really using characters intelligently. The minds behind Project Cadmus are brilliant even if they are insidious.

This is no stand alone episode. It makes numerous references to other episodes of the show. From the relationship between the Question and Huntress started in "Double Date" to the dark secret of Superman featured in "A Better World". There is a also a nice scene between Superman and Professor Hamilton that references several events from earlier episodes and from the Superman animated series.

The animation is of course excellent and the voice work is wonderful. Among the voice cast, Jeffrey Combs and Clancy Brown steal the show. Its also nice to hear Dana Delany as Lois once again.

Overall: 10/10
    Standout Scenes: The Question confronts Superman and shortly thereafter Luthor
  • wuestion discovers a plot that could destroy the justice league

this episode marks the start of a thrilling climax of the story of the justice league. for the first time, Luthor was able to hatch a plan that would effectively stain the name of the Justice League. however, he has one thing in his way: the Question. and things gets more thrilling when Captain Atom gets called back to the navy, wavering his support for the justice league. it looks like Luthor was also behind this, since it proved useful for him when Superman and Huntress rescues the Question. in this episode, we also get to see Question's face. now, how exciting could that be?
  • Question has face!!

Good episode. I wasn't too sure about this Question character until I saw this episode. Didn't even know who he was until he took his mask off and it was actually a piece of clothe. Question is based around either Mr. A by Steve Ditko or Rorschach by Alan Moore who are both conspiracy theorists and don't have any super powers. Basically, Question is like Batman except not as cool and can't fight like him. It was pretty interesting how the producers wrote about the current conspiracy's like the JFK magic bullet.
  • The Question Rules

Question Authority stands out because it turned a C-list level comic book hero into a mainstream superhero worthy of movies, books, and his own spinoff.

Jeffery Combs owned this episode and defines the DC Animated Universe as much as Kevin Conroy and Phil Lamar does. This episodes marks the begining of the season finale and it does it well, and the open ending was the toping on the cake. Just wonderful through and through.
  • I have a long Review.

He is certainly on of the most layered and compelling character in the series and that is nowhere more evident than in \"Question Authority\". The Question fits right in as the character that is trying to get to the bottom of the Cadmus conspiracy. When he gets to the bottom of it he discovers a secret that almost completely unhinges him. He comes to believe that Lex Luthor will instigate Armageddon after becoming president by killing the Flash and then being killed by an angry Superman. He decides to avert this disaster by killing Luthor before Superman can. This selfless, but perhaps lunatic, act fails when Luthor pummels the Question and reveals that there is more to Cadmus and the conspiracy than even the Question could unravel. The Question is captured and tortured only to be rescued by Huntress and Superman.

Superman is in an odd position in this episode. He is the authority that the Question doubts. Why does he doubt him? Well there is certainly the predestination aspect. But there may be a bit more going on here. Perhaps the Question does not doubt Superman\'s ability to do the right thing. Perhaps he doubts Superman\'s being the person to do the right thing. After all, the Question thinks that the right thing to do is to kill Lex Luthor. Its just that a \"well known crack-pot\" has to do it. Who knows?

This is no stand alone episode. It makes numerous references to other episodes of the show. From the relationship between the Question and Huntress started in \"Double Date\" to the dark secret of Superman featured in \"A Better World\". There is a also a nice scene between Superman and Professor Hamilton that references several events from earlier episodes and from the Superman animated series.

Overall: 10/10
    Standout Scenes: The Question confronts Superman and shortly thereafter Luthor
  • Another great episode. Everything is starting to piece together, and will no doubt lead to a pulse-pounding season finale.

We all know the Question is a bit... loopy, but when he gets a hold of information on Cadmus, he becomes an important character. We find out in this episode that the original members of the JL never told anyone that the Justice Lords Superman had killed the Lex Luthor from that dimension. We also learn here, that our Lex Luthor never intended to become President of the United States. He spent 70 Million dollars on a fake presidential campaign, just to tick Superman off, and distract the public from what he was really up to.
    Superman also discovers that Professor Hamilton, whom he had trusted so like a best friend, had been working with Cadmus all along. Of course, he feels betrayed, but judging from the way Hamilton acted when Superman left, I'm not so sure that his betrayal was entirely his decision.
    Then we find that Captain Atom still has a duty to fulfill for his Government, and his decision could cause sparks either way.

This episode had a lot of twists and turns, and seems to have a lot to stuff into a half hour, but they did, and it was great.
  • Question a would be murderer? Luthor both healed and super powerful? Superman criticized by his closest and dearest friend? Captain Atom forced to choose between the JLU and his country. Has JLU migrated from action adventure series to soap opera?

This episode started as an action packed thrill ride with Superman and Captain Atom teaming up against the powerful Mantis. However, this was quickly followed by various scenes filled with mellow dramatic dialog as well as a senseless monolog from The Question. The unique pairing of Huntress with Superman was one of this episode's saving graces. It also introduced a lot more food for thought as to where this series may go in the future. I also liked the use of the cliffhanger at the end of the episode. This was reminiscent of the first season of the Justice League that made us all go back to our TV sets on Saturday nights to see what happens next.

Overall, I give this episode a B minus. There was a lot there, I'm just not sure what it all was.
  • good stuff

Man this episode was pretty freaking good. The creators made the Question look pretty cool and i love how he tried to fix everything by killing luthor. I also love the stuff w/the justice lords and the flashback of superman killing lex. Superman was so kickass in this ep and i love the cliffhanger. GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!
  • I have been so impressed with the writing since Grundy died last year helping. I watched and shed a tear with the touching moments of his death.Ending with his tombstone and Hawkgirl standing over the grave. The stories are building with feature film qua

This chapter took me by surprise. This is no silly cartoon. The adult theme is refreshing
    and well received by this viewer. I thought the producers had given up on DC’s classic “Team”I grew up with. Reinventing heroes and bringing back second tier heroes, GreenArrow, Atom and even Captain Marvel. Lex Luther needed a face lift as a villain and appears to have been given one. Since 9/11, the landscape in comics has had to address the fear of terrorism, and the conspiracies are more frightening then some alien robot from a dead planet. That was from the fifties. Lois Lane put it perfectly at the beginning of this episode with Superman. Such awesome power the League has, is even scaring her. Superman’s response is just a perfect illustration of her fears and the fears of
    other’s.( Including my own fear in our reality), “I won’t let that happen” I was not
    reassured and neither was Lois. We have met the enemy and they are us. All good deeds
    will not go unpunished. This world ending fear, is just too big, for one man (super or not)
    or, one nation and or league to police. Our heroes are flawed and they can’t go around
    punching the bad guys in the face like the first Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman
    comics from 1939 through WW2. Look what the fear of Armageddon, from whatever future time line, has done to Question. Even to commit murder. The moral story lines are compelling and this is no kiddie show.
  • If you have watched JLU the last few season this is where the ends are starting to get tied up....

This is an important episode. It slightly recaps some of the past events for those that may have just come into this story. It gives you a slight glipse at what could come in the future. Most of all it starts to show where this season is finally going. All the little side episodes that you may not have given a second thought to well there hidden tidbits now all make sense.
    I do not think that you should see the next few episodes with out seeing this one. I do not think that they will make as much sense.
    Watch enjoy....
  • Great animation and story!

I have really enjoyed this episode of the justice league. Captain Atom choosing the government rather then the Justice league and Question finding out revealing information about Superman actions against the President. The events that took place during this episode gave insight on what may happen in future events. Great art animation and story!
  • If you've been following the show you must see this episode.

The Justice Lords/Cadmus subplot has been building for a while now and it looks like things are finally about to come to a head. The Question could not have been written any better for this episode. His journey from obsession to discovery to disclosure to solution was superb. I didn't want to look away because I had to see where it was going to end up. Even if you don't care for the Cadmus storyline, it is worth watching the episode just to hear The Question blurt out his conspiracy theories. As frustrating as cliffhangers can be, the one at the end of this episode worked perfectly. I didn't want it to end and now I can't wait for the next episode.
  • The Question learns some startling revelations about the future fate of the Justice League. In order to prevent a future war between the Justice League and the Federal government, the Question decides to assassinate Lex Luthor.

This is a really great episode. This season’s mega-plot is really coming to a broil, and I love how all of the road maps lead to the formation of the Justice Lords, the fascist Justice League from an alternate reality. The Justice Lords were first introduced in the excellent season 2 two-part episode, “A Better World”.

The Question is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters on this show. Jeffrey Combs’ voice is fantastic and I love the conspiracy-minded neuroticism that he brings to the character. I also love how he’s involved with the Huntress. She may even soon replace Hawkgirl as my favorite League member.

Were I ever to make a favorites list of JLU episodes, “Question Authority” will most definitely fall within my top-5.
  • Great episode and story development!

This episode is exciting and revealing! Captain Atom citing with the government instead of the league, Lex using his campaign against Superman, Huntress (ex Justice League member) teaming up with Superman, and Question asking to many questions to the point of torture. The writers really did a good job with this episode.

• Things finally fall into place as the end approaches.

It's been awhile since we've seen the relationship between Lois and Clark. It was definitely a nice thing for fans to see.

Unfortunately the League has started down the path to becoming the Justice Lords.

The Question discovers Cadmus files revealing that maybe the Justice Lords are inevitable. That Flash will die. Lex will become President. And Superman will kill Lex. All leading to the end.

Definitely a must see episode. Things are getting intense towards the end.
  • This a must see action,drama,adveture episode I'm telling you don't miss a second of it.....the end is near.

It was very interesting to see how this it all starting to fall in now.....I believe this one is a unforgettable episode....and the next four is gonna be real exciting to see what going to happen down the lines. But over all this is a tremendous episode....and must see. I'm telling you JLA fans don't sleep on this one here it just the beginning of the end.
  • Full blow confertation with Cadmus is coming and old allies may become new enemeys.

Events that happen in the Superman Animated series paly an important role in Justice League Unlimited. And so even though this show is about all the DC super heroes, it focuses mostly on Superman.

With the Question finding out what is going on with Cadmus and the link between them and Luthor, he finds the that Luthor has been playing them along and that Luthor has no real interest in becoming president.

Captin Atoms loyalties are in question, serve the Justice League or the US Air Force.

Will the League be ready or willing to fight aginst the goverment they are suppost to protect? Will this be the end of the Justice League? Has Cadmus brought about the Justice Lords?
  • This is the culmination of a lot of sub-plots and JLU history. A must see.

The writers of the Justice League have been hinting at this for several episodes. It's the government vs. the JLU and the lines are being drawn with loyalties falling in the most uncommon of places.

It seems that the government has reason to suspect that the League may go wrong, but Luthor's bid for the presidency is obviously an attempt at world dominance. Even Superman has a shifty motive for using the Huntress to break into the top-secret Cadmus to rescue the inquisitive Question.

This episode unites the best of comicbook writing, with intricate subplots finally reaching their fruition. Lois Lane has her doubts about her boyfriend, and not even Superman can convince her that he can guarantee his actions. The writers have dug deep to create a formidable situation. This is the best the Justice League has given its adoring fans.