Justice League Unlimited

The Brave and the Bold (1)

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Mar 10, 2002 on Cartoon Network

• The Flash and Green Lantern team up to save Central City from evil genius Gorilla Grodd's mind-control.

The Flash and Green Lantern team up to save Central City from evil genius Gorilla Grodd's mind-control. “The Brave and the Bold” is far from perfect but is one of my favorite episodes of the first season of “Justice League”. The episode nicely spotlights Flash. He is the wise-cracking immature comedian of the team. I wasn’t too impressed with the opening. I liked the way Flash tried to impress those girls in the diner but the chase scene felt somewhat inadequate. The Flash can outrun bullets but has trouble catching up with a truck. The story is pretty straightforward but well paced. There is plenty of humor, sharp dialogue and great character development. I really liked the dream sequence. The animation is pretty good but there are some noticeable flaws. Check out the chase scene carefully. One of the most appealing elements in this episode is the dynamic interaction between Flash and Green Lantern. Michael Rosebaum and Phil LaMarr really show up their voice talents. Powers Boothe (Deadwood) and Virginia Madsen (Sideways) voices Gorilla Grodd and his loyal assistant.
  • Flash - Oh yeah well your naked! Witty comeback Flash.

This was definetly one of my fav episodes of JL (including part two)

It was fairly well written, characterastion was good, the animation was brilliant, and the music was nerve-wracking...

All scenes with the flash were enjoyable with his chessy humour... Normally people who joke during a crisis tick me of, but Flash is awesome.

I also enjoyed the dialogue with WW and Batman, especially when Batman thought WW was dead...that was so cute!
  • The "required" Planet of the Apes send off.

Part 1 finds us learning that there is an advanced city of apes somewhere, presumably in Africa, hidden under a holographic mountain. For some reason the opening scene with the scientists is never explained or revisited. In fact, they could have skipped the opening and the viewer would lose nothing. Some might even find it more surprising when the ape first speaks.

This episode puts the Green Lantern in another spot with a fellow Justice League member that bugs him, like he was with Hawkgirl in War World. In War World the Green Lantern and Hawkgirl both learn to respect each other. However, I doubt this will happen with the Flash as he's too "hyper" and doesn't like to wait. Typical Flash.

Another thing that is typical is the typical Dini-Flash humour. Dini again adds comedy to an otherwise predictable episode. From having the Flash hit on a couple of women (after Flash saving their lives, one admonishes the other for not getting his number) to the Flash going through various "phases" (from really fat to thin to a puppet) while under mind control.

They add some shock by apparently killing off the Green Lantern and the ape security chief, Solovar, at the end. But this is the Justice League. They'll figure out some way of undoing this, even if it's cheesy.

Overall, this episode will not need revisiting once you have seen it for the first time. Since I'm writing this before watching part 2, we shall see what happens next. I'm betting that the Green Lantern, the Flash and Solovar work together and save the day.