Justice League Unlimited

The Doomsday Sanction

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Feb 19, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• The Conspiracy Continues

With this episode Dwayne McDuffie brings the Cadmus group, the secret U.S. governmental organization that have determined the Justice League are a threat, to the forefront. We find out the members: General Eiling and his military expertise, Dr. Milo and his genetic research, Hugo Strange and his mind-reading device, Dr. Hamilton and his knowledge of Superman's DNA and cloning techniques, Tala and her mystical abilities, and the formidable Amanda in charge.

What's interesting is how writer McDuffie pulls together all the aspects of various WB animated series. We have the Batman & Superman animated series, Lex Luthor, and the Justice Lords of the alternate Earth as a motivating force. We also get a revisionist origin of Doomsday. It's quite a melange of different aspects.

Perhaps comfortingly, the conspiracy group is not one big happy family. Milo is a screw-up and Eiling is a ruthless psycho, while Amanda Waller seems to be dong what she truly thinks is best but isn't willing to see innocents get killed. It looks like we'll see more of Tala in the future, judging from the end-of-episode previews.

If the conspiracy poses any danger, it's because of...Batman. He seems the only one with the skills necessary to handle it that the League takes seriously (the Question notwithstanding), and the conspiracy may have swayed him to their point of view. The ending is rather enigmatic and the build-up to Batman believing Superman has the potential to be a ruthless tyrant is a bit brief. It comes across as more of a depressive reaction to the situation then a reasoned response on Batman's part. We'll see how it pans out.

Superman gets some serious screen-time - we both see him go toe-to-toe with Doomsday, and have his moral position questioned. Again, it's not entirely clear what Batman expects Superman to do at the end - don't the League have protocols for dealing with villains that can't otherwise be contained, protocols that Batman would presumably have helped written. It's a little murky if the League under Superman are overriding Batman, or what. It would be nice if the writers/producers could clarify a ltitle bit.

The Flash is back once more and a welcome presence - he bridges the gap between original member and comic relief. It's also nice to see the original 7 assembled for the first time since the end of Season 2. We get some visual checks on the newer League members, but this is basically about the originals.

There's nice use of computer animation, with the missile launch and Batman's intercept. But there's also some good old-school-ish animation in the Superman/Doomsday battle. The whole thing ends up to a tense showdown at the end as Batman and Superman face their respective dangers.

If the previous episodes like "Fearful Symmetry" and "Ultimatum" and "Dark Heart" were foreshadowing for the conspiracy-angle, then "The Doomsday Sanctin" sets everything off. It looks like the government will eventually launch a full-out assault on the League (judging from last week's previews and the use of the Suicide Squad), so plans are already in the works to crank it up to the next step. But at the same time there's still the mysteries of Lex Luthor's involvement, and Batman's eventual stance. That should be enough to keep viewers coming back for a while, and Cartoon Network has confirmed a new order of 23 episodes, so we should get to see the whole thing.
  • In this episode the League must save the people of a volcanic island before it erupts. During this rescue operation Superman ends up in a battle with Doomsday inside the erupting volcano. Further knowledge of Cadmus' plans are revealed.

This is the kind of stuff I like to see in a Justice League episode. You have ties to the main storyline of the show with Cadmus, plus you still have a large scale battle.

The confrontation between Batman an Waller was good because we saw that both are highly intelligent people on opposite sides of the fence. Both Batman and Waller also have opposing thoughts with their colleages. It shows a certain similarity and connection between the two enemies.

The Superman v Doomsday battle was good because they were near equals. In most Superman battles, he wipes the floor with his enemy, but Doomsday was more than a match for Superman.

This episode also raises the thought in our minds that the League isn't doing everything right. It raises the thought that maybe the League is becoming too powerful for their own good.

Overall a good and enjoyable episode that I'll watch again and again.
  • Mroe than just informative and revealing this episode is full of action

A great installment to an overall great story. This episode reveals a great deal about the Cadmas program and all of the ventures they had their hands in. It tells the story of doomsday and brings some significance to his character, instead of him being some random villain out for Superman's head. more importantly than all those things though, the episode is exciting. All of the things we watch the show for were there. The fight between Doomsday and Superman was very well done and the interception of the missile kept us very entertained. Excellent story with great action, definitely one of the best
  • Batman confronts Waller, the military tries to nuke Superman, and Justice Lord comparisons abound. All this, while Superman brawls with Doomsday.

Where to begin? Not only do we get characters returning all the way from Batman: TAS season 1 (giving a cool moment to anyone who's been watching the DCAU since then), but this episode really pushes the whole Cadmus storyline forward a great deal.

We see that people DO see the similarities growing between the Justice League and Justice Lords. We see Batman begin to doubt the other founding members. We see the government try to kill Superman, and we get one of the most brutal battles in animation history.

Even though Doomsday's origins are completely changed, it works in the context of the season.

An overall great episode.