Justice League Unlimited

The Doomsday Sanction

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Feb 19, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• The Conspiracy Continues

With this episode Dwayne McDuffie brings the Cadmus group, the secret U.S. governmental organization that have determined the Justice League are a threat, to the forefront. We find out the members: General Eiling and his military expertise, Dr. Milo and his genetic research, Hugo Strange and his mind-reading device, Dr. Hamilton and his knowledge of Superman's DNA and cloning techniques, Tala and her mystical abilities, and the formidable Amanda in charge.

What's interesting is how writer McDuffie pulls together all the aspects of various WB animated series. We have the Batman & Superman animated series, Lex Luthor, and the Justice Lords of the alternate Earth as a motivating force. We also get a revisionist origin of Doomsday. It's quite a melange of different aspects.

Perhaps comfortingly, the conspiracy group is not one big happy family. Milo is a screw-up and Eiling is a ruthless psycho, while Amanda Waller seems to be dong what she truly thinks is best but isn't willing to see innocents get killed. It looks like we'll see more of Tala in the future, judging from the end-of-episode previews.

If the conspiracy poses any danger, it's because of...Batman. He seems the only one with the skills necessary to handle it that the League takes seriously (the Question notwithstanding), and the conspiracy may have swayed him to their point of view. The ending is rather enigmatic and the build-up to Batman believing Superman has the potential to be a ruthless tyrant is a bit brief. It comes across as more of a depressive reaction to the situation then a reasoned response on Batman's part. We'll see how it pans out.

Superman gets some serious screen-time - we both see him go toe-to-toe with Doomsday, and have his moral position questioned. Again, it's not entirely clear what Batman expects Superman to do at the end - don't the League have protocols for dealing with villains that can't otherwise be contained, protocols that Batman would presumably have helped written. It's a little murky if the League under Superman are overriding Batman, or what. It would be nice if the writers/producers could clarify a ltitle bit.

The Flash is back once more and a welcome presence - he bridges the gap between original member and comic relief. It's also nice to see the original 7 assembled for the first time since the end of Season 2. We get some visual checks on the newer League members, but this is basically about the originals.

There's nice use of computer animation, with the missile launch and Batman's intercept. But there's also some good old-school-ish animation in the Superman/Doomsday battle. The whole thing ends up to a tense showdown at the end as Batman and Superman face their respective dangers.

If the previous episodes like "Fearful Symmetry" and "Ultimatum" and "Dark Heart" were foreshadowing for the conspiracy-angle, then "The Doomsday Sanctin" sets everything off. It looks like the government will eventually launch a full-out assault on the League (judging from last week's previews and the use of the Suicide Squad), so plans are already in the works to crank it up to the next step. But at the same time there's still the mysteries of Lex Luthor's involvement, and Batman's eventual stance. That should be enough to keep viewers coming back for a while, and Cartoon Network has confirmed a new order of 23 episodes, so we should get to see the whole thing.
CW