Justice League Unlimited

This Little Piggy

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Aug 28, 2004 on Cartoon Network

• Farming Out the Comedy

Other then a few instances of threatened butchering, "This Little Piggy" is basically a comedy - not surprising, since it's authored by Paul Dini, who also wrote the humor-packed "Brave and the Bold" and "Comfort & Joy," and is a long-time partner of JL-creator Bruce Timm. The Justice League series seems to be Dini's playground for humor, although he's done both serious work on the WB animated material in the past as well as some of the more humorous stuff (such as many of the Joker episodes).

Dini also wrote the original "Zatanna" episode of Batman: The Animated Series and must have a fondness for the sorceress since she returns here. Zatanna now has her comic-book levels of actual magical power, as opposed to the mere sleight-of-hand she displayed in that Batman episode. Dini also packs the episode with lots of references, to everything from Babe to The Wizard of Oz to Greek mythology - another of his trademarks.

The main villainess of the piece, Circe, is pretty much played for laughs - we never do find out why she wants the Rosetta Stone in the teaser and she (apparently) surrenders at the end. Basically all she wanted to do is get out on parole and "sing." Since she didn't actually commit any crimes (Wonder Woman's transformation could be considered self-defense, and she never did break into the museum), it's not clear if she'd be sentenced back to the Underworld or what. Unfortunately none of this is really explained...

Instead we get more of the Batman/Wonder Woman relationship. Clearly their relationship is clouding Batman's judgement despite his assertion that such relationships never work and he knows better. There seems no good reason to keep things secret and avoid calling in most of the League - in fact, Wonder Woman almost gets killed as a result! Would Batman be this reluctant if Superman were transformed? Or Flash (wait - let me rephrase that... :) ). It's not clear whether we (or Batman) are supposed to realize he's acting...well, pig-headed, as it were.

Zatanna in her traditional garb (although without the fishnet stockings :( ) is a welcome face, although she doesn't really do anything here. Her casting a ritual to find Wonder Woman and negotiating with the shopkeeper comes across mostly as padding and an excuse to lose Wonder Woman. The hints of her "just friends" relationship with Batman (again harkening back to the Batman episode) are interesting although again we don't really get much of that.

The supremely goofy B'wana Beast makes an appearance - here Paul Dini tries to give him a personality of sorts to make up for the lack of one the character's had in the comic books. Why this new personality had to be Joey Tribbiani from Friends, who knows? It might be some elaborate in-joke - Joey had a duck and a goose as pets on Friends.

The other three League members we see are pretty much wasted in some cheap jokes for comedy. If an android calling out "Siooouuueee!" is your idea of yuks, enjoy.

And of course, at the end we get...Batman Sings! Yes, it's Kevin Conroy doing his own singing, and it's something they've wanted to do since he first took on the role. Again Paul Dini digs out his knowledge of trivia by digging out a couple of old 30's songs in keeping with the retro-30's feel of the Batman animated series and transposing it onto the League. For that matter, this is the first episode that takes place in Gotham City, apparently.

And at the end, Batman outthinks the villainess rather then outfighting her. Although again, we don't find out what happens to her.

The debate on whether the half-hour format works continues. There were bits in this episode that seemed a bit padded (the bit with the shopkeeper, the other Leaguers' search for Wonder Pig) and bits that seemed rush - Circe's fate, and a bit of motivation for why she has Batman sing for her. This is another episode that doesn't seem like it needs two parts - just a bit of rearrangement to get rid of some padding and supply a little more motivation.

Overall, for a light comedy episode I'd rate this about a 7. You can't really go wrong with a Paul Dini episode and this one is an entertaining but forgettable piece of fluff.
  • "Am I Blue"

"Am I Blue" will now be a classic single released by Batman. haha!

I really enjoyed this episode. Yeah, there were screw ups in the episode but if you can overlook that and think of it as the comedy that it was meant to be then it is a classic Justice League episode. Wonder Woman gets turned into a pig and Batman gathers Zatanna and B'wanna Beast to help turn Wonder Woman back to normal. Even the legendary Medusa tries to help out. In the end, Circe, the villianess who turned Wonder Woman into a pig, agrees to change Wonder Woman back to normal if Batman sings in front of her and the crowd. Batman sings "Am I Blue" and Wonder Woman is saved. That is only a super short summary of the episode.
  • wonder woman is a pig

After coming up with great episodes like "initiation" which is green arrow/oliver queens debut and "For The Man Has Everything" which is the episode which has superman, and batman living their dreams.both amazing episodes that make justice league look like a great show but then the writers come up with "kids stuff" which is lame and then "this little piggy" which has wonder woman turned into a pig.seriouslly how lame is that?first,i like my heroes being grown mature adults not pre-teen superheroes that are so young they probley still pee in their underwear and second turning wonder woman into a piggy and having her do the things that pigs do is unforgivable. seriously,what were the writers thinking.they must have been taking stupid pills or something.lame, lame, lame.
  • perfect pairing for batman and wonder woman! BMWW forever! =P

This episode shows the perfect pairing for batman and wonder woman! This would be one of those rare times that Batman admits that maybe there is something going on between him and diana. Diana tries to bait bruce into going to a date with her, as usual batman tries to push her away but the persistent princess wouldn't take no for an answer. I love it! they're so cute together and besides BATMAN sang for diana! That's huge! This is one of my favorite episode of justice league. My favorite would be kids stuff which is more about the 2 of course! BMWW forever! =P
  • Batman's got a hidden talent, awesome!

I couldn't believe that on one part of the episode, there were musical numbers added. The best part; Batman showed his hidden talent; singing. If they had Superhero Idol, Batman would win.

This wasn't the first time Batman sang. Go back to 1967 (ABC series) when Batman was brainwashed by Black Widow. Robin unbrainwashed him by having Batman sing "Little Buttercup", when he hit a certain note.

It may be campy for superheroes to do music, but it takes guts! You had The Flash, Hero High, Johnny Storm & TMNT doing music.

Would've been much cooler if Batman had also played jazz guitar as well!
  • Creative and Unique

This was a classic, memorable episode. I can see why many wouldn't like it - its not really full of the superhero antics that drives a superhero show. But the characterization of Batman in this episode was absolutely fantastic. It follows nicely from the silly flirtation between himself and Wonder Woman in the previous episode (Kid's Stuff). Bats singing was amusing, touching, and revealing. Not to mention that I snorted out loud when I saw Wonder Woman had turned into a piggy. Hysterical. The supporting characters like Zatanna and Medusa were also well done, although Beast was somewhat lackluster. I liked the cameo of Red Tornado. The creative team outdid themselves with this episode.
  • Wonder Woman and Circe have a little run in, leaving Diana a little worse off. As a pig, no less. However, its Batman to the rescue! He spends the whole episode attempting to find a way to change her back, and finally succeeds at the end.

I have been a shipper of Wonder Woman and Batman--so sue me--since the first season episode, The Brave and the Bold. So, this episode was something like a gift sent from heaven to me. Even when not enjoying the strongly hinted potential romance, I found this episode amusing. Several characters break into number within this episode, and yet others wander the streets of the city, searching for a pig. You haven't lived until you've watched a Greek mythological figure talk like your "hip" aunt. Though technically a filler episode, since the only thing saved was Wonder Woman from becoming bacon, "This Little Piggy" has some good action, also.
  • In this episode Wonderwoman turns into a pig and Batman tries to save her.

This episode was ok. Zantanna is introduced as she helps Batman find Wonderwoman who has turned into a pig from a spell. This episode was a short adventure from the main plot and it could have happened at a better time but nonetheless this episode was fun, had action and still proved good enough for me. Good episode overall.
  • this was a good episode.

this was a great everything about it is great, the story plot, the Idea of the characters they chose for the episode, this episode was fun to see, if you haven't seen it you need to, this episode being that Wonder woman got turned into a pig is crazy, don't miss it.
  • Diana gets turned into a pig. Cute. Zatanna pwns big time. Score. Batman sings. GOLD!

Silly as the plot was, it was all worth it to see Zatanna for the first time and hear Batman sing. If I was a more sentimental person, I would have been crying too. Batman is an amazing singer. Did his voice acter actually sing that song or did the producers have to bring someone in special? And Circe was, like, woah. Diana had nice pitch too when she was humming the song. Almost made me like her better. Almost. I'm never going to forgive her behavior to Shayera. I personally think she got what she deserved in this episode.
  • This episode was halarious. I liked the end where Bruce didn't think Diana heard him sing. But she walks away whitsling the song he sung.

I loved this episodes, one of my top 5. I always love seeing the romance between Batman and Wonder Woman. They make it soo funny. I liked this episode too cause u think that Circe was going to do something dirty with Batman, but she just makes him sing "Am I Blue." My dad and I laughed soo hard.
  • What a great episode.

This is one of my favorite episdoe. The relationship between Wonder Woman and Batman is improving. They both are in love, but Batsy is not admitting it. I loved it when Batman sang Am I Blue. It was amazing and i have watched this episode like 7 times. Really great job on writing this episode.