Justice League Unlimited

To Another Shore

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Sep 24, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• Wonder Spin!

JLU is steadily becoming a better and better show, which this episode proves just too well. The writers of the show so far have done an amazing job mixing together Silver Age and Modern Age elements, the best example here being Diana's Wonder Spin - which is something the fans have been waiting for for a long, long time.

The talk between Diana and J'onn pointed out that J'onn hasn't really been seen in action since JL became JLU - a complaint I know I've heard from far too many people. His leaving was sad, but it made sense. I just hope it means that we see more of him in the future...maybe he'll return with a bigger role?

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Grodd will be looking for more things of mystical origin - like the Spear and the Viking Prince. That should be interesting to find out, and I'm starting to wonder what the story arc of the season is leading up to.
  • a very well written dramatic episode with great development epsecially with one of the original 7 members

i have to admit that i went into this episode thinking it was just going to be another filler episode displaying the reach of the legion of supervillains. but i have to say that i was actually impressed with this episode. the story though i could take or leave. the viking price storyline was ok but not that big of a deal and other than killer frost i was unfamilliar with the villains but the better part of the story was the underlying character development. but i must first say that i thought it was great to see the wonder woman transformation sequence in the show. but the real big development was with the martian manhunter. how he feels towards humanity and how he deals with it. and at the end his departure was very dramatic.
  • Full of useful information about this season's plot, this episode was very enjoyable.

To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to this one. I thought it would be yet another Wonder Woman-Centric filler that I would merely watch for the sake of boredom. However, it managed to surprise me.

The scene between J'onn and Diana at the beginning was enough to put this in the tops so far. J'onn is another one of those forgotten talents that drifted to the background in contrast to the Big Three. Even though he technically started the League, there have only been a hanful of episodes about him and even less character development. So it was a real pleasure to see someone call attention to his disappearance. We also get to see a little bit of his attitude towards humans, and even a life-changing decision from our favourite Martian.

The scene where the League wishes him farewell(complete with the obligatory 'hope-you're-not-gone-long' hug from Flash, as seen in Starcrossed) was truly touching.

All of this reeks of season-plot development. I have a good feeling that this episode will be important in the overall idea for season 5, which is always exciting.

Furthermore, we got a glimpse at the Legion's plans. The first episode with them was slightly disappointing, since they didn't seem to have any purpose other than annoying the League. However, we now know that Grodd has something big up his sleeve. With each episode, more pieces fall into place, making this one fairly important.

Overall, this was a great episode accented by Green Arrow's one-liners. I can only say that I hope J'onn's leave of absence will not last too long- if something bad is coming, they'll need him.

I highly recommend this episode.
  • Here is a JLU episode even Gardiner Fox would love. This episode was action packed while still carrying a lot of deeper meaning and subplot development for future shows. By far, the best of the four episodes we've seen so far in season 5.

I have to admit that I didn't see it coming - J'onn leaving to find his "humanity". After seeing the first episode which introduced the Legion of Doom, I admit I was a little disappointed. They actually resorted to stealing imagery and concepts from the old "Super friends" show. The next episode was an improvement in creativity and I actually got a belly laugh out of the whole Hawkgirl- Green Lantern-Batman sequence. However, there was not a whole lot there other than the introduction of Hawkman (Carter Hall). The next episode had some amusing bits of jealosy between Stargirl and Supergirl. We also got treated to some good action scenes and top notch villians. However, the conflict resolution between Stargirl and Supergirl was just too predictable. Nothing about episode 4 was predictable starting with Grodd's monologue about the Viking prince followed by a nice team of villians who give old WW more than she can handle.We now have JJ and GA joining the fight - just like old times for JLA comic fans. Now the JLU knows something strange is afoot and I'm really staring to look forward to how the rest of this season unfolds. I'm genuinely surprised at the quality of these episodes considering the high note the JLU finished on last season. It's also great having that full hour again. THANK YOU!
  • one of the beste episodes of JLA. Really well written and at last WW has the chance to show who is she really.

I think the Justice League Unlimted is a show not only for teenagers.
    and this episode is a proof of this.

I`m very anxious to see this show show in the Latin American (uruguay) Cartoon Network.

Great for the Martian and for Wonder Woman transformation!!!
    thanks to the writers...

and sorry for my english.....
  • Another supremely written episode.

While Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter are the central "Big 7" characters, this episode has much going for it. Again, the Legion Of Doom has set their sights on an artifact or person of historical merit. Grodd has something in store and finally gets called on it, but still isn't telling.

Death Ray (Really Black Mantra from Aquaman's rogue gallery) gets some shine and a nod to Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman are just some of the easter eggs this episode provides. The edits from the comic for the Viking Prince was a surprising touch for such a great animation team. It was also welcomed.

This episode is as much about J'onn as it is about the Viking Prince. J'onn, in JLU as well as in the comic version of JLA, has always been the mainstay. He finally takes a much needed leave of absence to get closer to earthlings and our strange habits. I can almost guarantee that he'll be back for the finale (Bats, Supes, Wondy or all three probably know how to get in touch with him) but with the Legion breathing down their throats, this is not the time to lose such a powerhouse and their telepathic leader. If you TiVoed this episode, better hold on to it, because I bet will become very important for the end run.

All in all - 9.5 out of 10
  • Martian Manhunter's issues are dealt with head-on in this episode, while Wonder Woman is solidified as a character in and out of costume. Finally, the episode's powerful ending with its pitch-perfect elegaic, redemptive tone is what makes this episode sp

This episode finally deals with the Martian Manhunter who has been relegated as coordinator of the JLU from the satellite. People have surmised that the writers have been keeping Martian Manhunter on the sidelines because his powers are too varied and versatile to write an effective suspenseful villian showdown. This may or may not be true, but the writers handle this situation head-on, by incorporating his isolation as a character flaw.

Wonder Woman's character is really bolstered here, first by confronting Martian Manhunter, and second by reluctantly assuming the role of novice diplomat, when the Wonder Woman of this series is more confrontational, aggressive, and generally more Amazonian in nature than her idealized incarnation in the comic books. I liked the throwback to the Linda Prince Wonder Woman with the twirling, it helps solidify the fact that the writers are attempting to explore her character both in and out of costume.

The cell-shaded sketches of Prince John as Grodd told his stories, were visually compelling and amazing. It worked perfectly with the story. They should use that style again in future episodes.

Overall though, the haunting ending is what makes this episode special. The way Martian Manhunter realized the things he need to change, from Prince John's tragedy was moving. The cutting between his traditional Viking funeral and J'onn saying goodbye and merging with humanity, all over Coleridge's redemptive stanzas in the Rime of the Ancient Mariner was one of the most powerful and affecting dramatic endings that I've seen for any animated series.
  • Why I love this show

Wizard Magazine named Justice League Unlimited the best show on television and this why. Powers Boothe deserves an emmy nomination for his narration of the Viking Prince's tragic tale. This episode had everything I love about Justice League: Lex Luthor, Wonder Woman, Black Manta, King Faraday, Mr. Terrific, J'onn J'onzz becoming John Jones. I can't wait until this come out on dvd on the DC Comics Classic Convention.
  • Nicely Done

Just FYI to begin with: blackcanary, you reviewed the wrong episode. You reviewed "Chaos at the Earth's Core", not "To Another Shore". They may've been aired back-to-back, but seriously...

But I digress. "To Another Shore" was fantastic. After the average episode that was "Chaos", "Shore" really showed me that JLU's still going strong. And at least someone actually acknowledged J'onn's... disappearance for the last 2 years. Can't wait to see how his subplot turns out.

My only complaint was that there sure was an abundance of the terms "butt", "heck", "darn/dang". Not just in "TAS", in "Chaos" too. I still like the show, don't get me wrong, but the whole "langauge cleansing" thing is really getting old. It airs so late, and people who watch JLU have probably heard "hell" and "damn" or whatever a ton of times already.

"To Another Shore" gets 4 "gosh-darn son-of-a-gun heck-er-oo"'s out of 4 (it's on a 4-star scale, as seen on my web site- it works for me).

Season Rankings: