Justice League Unlimited

To Another Shore

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Sep 24, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• Full of useful information about this season's plot, this episode was very enjoyable.

To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to this one. I thought it would be yet another Wonder Woman-Centric filler that I would merely watch for the sake of boredom. However, it managed to surprise me.

The scene between J'onn and Diana at the beginning was enough to put this in the tops so far. J'onn is another one of those forgotten talents that drifted to the background in contrast to the Big Three. Even though he technically started the League, there have only been a hanful of episodes about him and even less character development. So it was a real pleasure to see someone call attention to his disappearance. We also get to see a little bit of his attitude towards humans, and even a life-changing decision from our favourite Martian.

The scene where the League wishes him farewell(complete with the obligatory 'hope-you're-not-gone-long' hug from Flash, as seen in Starcrossed) was truly touching.

All of this reeks of season-plot development. I have a good feeling that this episode will be important in the overall idea for season 5, which is always exciting.

Furthermore, we got a glimpse at the Legion's plans. The first episode with them was slightly disappointing, since they didn't seem to have any purpose other than annoying the League. However, we now know that Grodd has something big up his sleeve. With each episode, more pieces fall into place, making this one fairly important.

Overall, this was a great episode accented by Green Arrow's one-liners. I can only say that I hope J'onn's leave of absence will not last too long- if something bad is coming, they'll need him.

I highly recommend this episode.