Justice League Unlimited

Twilight (1)

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Jul 05, 2003 on Cartoon Network

• New Season - New Look

Although we won't see the "real" new season until October, "Twilight" promises that the new episodes will be just as new-and-improved as Bruce Timm has assured us. There's a big CGI animation/battle at the beginning that really conveys the epic scale of the Apokolips/New Genesis conflict, as are the battle scenes against Brainiac by Darkseid's forces. The scenes on New Genesis as Batman and Wonder Woman arrive and consult Orion are nicely drawn with exquisite detail.

But the thing fans have been awaiting is the "new" Superman. Many have complained that Superman had been depowered and minimized in season 1 - Star Sapphire can take him out, Draaga can throw sand in his eyes, he can't catch Deadshot, and generally he was depowered so as to not outshine the League. Here Superman gets to strut his stuff - he also gets artistically reimaged - an improvement. He has the lion share of the battle scenes, although Hawkgirl and J'onn get their shots in. We also get to see some personality, as he has to deal with the repercussions of the two-part conclusion of his own animated series when he was brainwashed by Darkseid into attacking Earth. Superman (and voice actor George Newbern) show some real emotion this time around, and it's a welcome relief.

Another thing many fans have been waiting for is some development on the other Leaguers. We finally find out how Hawkgirl got to Earth and what her problem is. Although the explanation is a little glib (see Goofs), it does establish that Hawkgirl is yet another "orphan" League member - a secondary theme that runs throughout here and part 2.

Batman also seems a bit snarkier or wittier then usual - maybe he's taking up slack for the absent Flash?

While there's no monumental performance by the guest actors, obviously there's big money going in to hire folks like Michael Ironside (always great as Darkseid), Michael Dorn, Ron Perlman, etc. Rene Auberjonois even reprises his role of DeSaad from the Superfriends series!

Overall, despite the fact we're going to have to wait another few months to see the "real" season, Twilight proivdes a tantalizing look at what it promises.
  • When the powerful supercomputer Brainiac threatens to destroy Apokolips, the evil warlord Darkseid turns to the Justice League for help but Superman does not trust his arch enemy.

When the powerful supercomputer Brainiac threatens to destroy Apokolips, the evil warlord Darkseid turns to the Justice League for help but Superman does not trust his arch enemy. When the promo of “Twilight” first appeared on Cartoon Network, I was quite excited. You couldn’t ask for a better starting episode for the second season of “Justice League”. Without a doubt, “Twilight” is one of the best episodes of the season and a personal favorite. It’s an exciting continuity of the events of ‘Legacy”. From the beginning, you know that the second season is a considerable improvement over the first. The episode features a well structured storyline and cameos of Steppenwolf, Light Ray, High Father and the New Gods. The action, dialogue and animation truly impressed me. The biggest surprise was Superman. Not only is he packing some serious muscle but he also carries quite a backbone. He is more aggressive and less of a boy scout. Though fans criticized George Newburn’s voice work in the first season, his performance in “Twilight” is outstanding. Batman manages to steal the spotlight by opposing Superman’s position regarding Darkseid.
  • Out of This World.

This episode was a great way to start the series.

First off, I would like to thank the writers for bringing us this great story and action, and even that little tention between Superman and Batman. Good job Rich and Bruce!

Second, I would like to thank the great animation for this episode. It was dark, it had some nice color and they really brought the episode to life.

Third, is the exelent storyboarders! They took what the writers of the episode wanted and turned it into the great episode we veiwed.

This episode was a great installment for the series.
  • Well done re-intro of Braniac, Darkseid, and the New Gods.

They finally did something with Darkseid. It was only expected after the ending of Superman: TAS. This continuation of the Darkseid thread is also complimented by the fact that it reintroduces Braniac. I especially liked Batman\'s line to Superman while they were discussing it. I don\'t remember exactly, but it was something like: \"We know he used you, manipulated you, forced you to attack what you loved the most . . . Cry me a river.\" It was the perfect example of Batman in his Bat-Ass ways. Excellent episode, and the next is even better. The only reason I don't give this a perfect score is because of the shot were the flying New God spanked Wonder Woman. All women's rights/treatment crap aside, that was just random.
  • The much awaited apperance of Darksied in JL

This is an JL fan's dream come true. Darksied (along with parasite) is my favortie superman villian. I wachted the superman episodes with Darksied, and it rocked. This really displays a lot of superman comic matieral, what with all the first JL apperances. Braniac rocks, Darksied is back and with a vengeance, and Earth may yet be destoryed. I was as the edge of my seat during this special (premiered at a special time on Toonami in 2004 or 2003, its debut). I loved it and it made me want to see Darksied and Braniac be a villian in JLU episodes! Whoo!