Justice League Unlimited

Twilight (1)

Aired Saturday 10:30 PM Jul 05, 2003 on Cartoon Network

• New Season - New Look

Although we won't see the "real" new season until October, "Twilight" promises that the new episodes will be just as new-and-improved as Bruce Timm has assured us. There's a big CGI animation/battle at the beginning that really conveys the epic scale of the Apokolips/New Genesis conflict, as are the battle scenes against Brainiac by Darkseid's forces. The scenes on New Genesis as Batman and Wonder Woman arrive and consult Orion are nicely drawn with exquisite detail.

But the thing fans have been awaiting is the "new" Superman. Many have complained that Superman had been depowered and minimized in season 1 - Star Sapphire can take him out, Draaga can throw sand in his eyes, he can't catch Deadshot, and generally he was depowered so as to not outshine the League. Here Superman gets to strut his stuff - he also gets artistically reimaged - an improvement. He has the lion share of the battle scenes, although Hawkgirl and J'onn get their shots in. We also get to see some personality, as he has to deal with the repercussions of the two-part conclusion of his own animated series when he was brainwashed by Darkseid into attacking Earth. Superman (and voice actor George Newbern) show some real emotion this time around, and it's a welcome relief.

Another thing many fans have been waiting for is some development on the other Leaguers. We finally find out how Hawkgirl got to Earth and what her problem is. Although the explanation is a little glib (see Goofs), it does establish that Hawkgirl is yet another "orphan" League member - a secondary theme that runs throughout here and part 2.

Batman also seems a bit snarkier or wittier then usual - maybe he's taking up slack for the absent Flash?

While there's no monumental performance by the guest actors, obviously there's big money going in to hire folks like Michael Ironside (always great as Darkseid), Michael Dorn, Ron Perlman, etc. Rene Auberjonois even reprises his role of DeSaad from the Superfriends series!

Overall, despite the fact we're going to have to wait another few months to see the "real" season, Twilight proivdes a tantalizing look at what it promises.