Justified

Brothers Keeper

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Apr 06, 2011 on FX

7.8
  • Another plot- and dramafilled episode filled with surprises, revelations and suckerpunches.

Wow. That's usually what I'm left with after an episode of Justified, and tonight is no different.
    From Mags wiping the smug grin off Ms Johnson's face to Boyd being a sneaky son-of-a-b*tch and coming out on top (for now), to Loretta's moment of truth and Raylan's rescue mission in the middle of the night.

To flesh it out a little bit:
    Although I'd love to see Mags get her comeuppance, I also love seeing her grabbing everybody by the balls and getting her way through stone cold determination.
    And she certainly got poor miningrep Ms. Johnson by the short and curlies this time - with some timely and unexpected assistance from Boyd. Brilliant move by the writers - I have to admit I didn't see that one coming, thinking he was going to be loyal to his new boss or simply decide to fade back into the mine. But oh, no - not Boyd Crowder!
    Joining forces with Mags gets him a shot at some REAL money, as well as a working agreement about their less than kosher activities - he gets his father's old stomping grounds, and he and Mags stay out of each others' territories.

Mags speculates about wether he's going to pick up where Daddy dearest let off, but somehow I don't quite see that happening. But I'm sure he'll do SOMETHING interesting! :D

The secondary plotline revolves around Loretta, who's missing her father and possibly suspecting SOMETHING is wrong, but remains clueless of what actually happened until Coover Bennett drops a giant-sized clue right in her face by flashing her dad's watch...
    Clever girl that she is, she attempts to drug the big bully - who has just overheard mummy Mags saying that Coover and his brothers where pretty useless, while treating Loretta like long-lost daughter - in order to check out The Clue.
    The truth might set you free, but it nearly gets our intrepid heroine killed - Coover, high and psychotic, goes after her after nearly killing his own brother.
    Fortunately, Raylan's foresight means Loretta can call him for aid - and after a quick spot of threat-and-torture to get the directions from Dickie, our favourite US Marshal shows up and finally puts Coover down.
    Quite literally - he shoots him so he drops down the same mineshaft Loretta's father got dumped in.

And to cap a brilliant episode: A distraught Mags, in PJs and cardigan, begs Raylan for a chance to talk to Loretta; after seeing the absolute, outright refusal on his face, her voice immediately goes back to its usual, stony, tone of commant as she marches away.
    Let's just put it like this: This ain't over, folks!