A Justified Community
FX (ended 2015)

Justified S05E10: "Weight"

Pretty apt name for an episode title, eh? "Weight" was obviously a drug-lingo reference to the big bag of heroin, but it could just as easily describe the hour's heftiness, what with all the different things going on. "Weight" played a game of character pinball, resulting in a slew of fantastic one-on-one (or one-on-one-on-one) confrontations that made if feel as though we were speed-watching a "Best Of" collection of Old West movies. But even though this episode was full of intense showdowns, Justified still feels slightly aimless; there are only three episodes left in the season and there's no clear goal in sight other than kicking the Crowes out of Harlan.

Just about everything that happened in "Weight" was set into motion by last week's final scene, when Dewey went car bowling and used DEA agent Miller and Danny Crowe as his pins. I'm still a little apprehensive toward the idea that Dewey would betray Boyd considering Dewey looks at Boyd as though he's the devil, a book without any pictures, and a woman who uses words with three or more syllables. But Dewey went rogue with half of Boyd's heroin, putting Raylan and Boyd on his tail. 

And thank the lord he did, because the search for Dewey led Raylan (and Dewey) to Dickie Bennett (Jeremy Davies), one of my all-time favorite Justified characters. Dickie is still locked up for what he done in Season 3, and he and Raylan still share their age-old love-to-hate relationship. The dislike still runs so deep that Raylan wouldn't agree to Dickie's demands of a prison transfer in exchange for Dewey's whereabouts, so Dickie gave Raylan very specific directions that led up Raylan's own asshole in one of Justified's most classic bits of dialogue (for your reading pleasure, I've transcribed the scene below). Unfortunately, other than some sizzling back-and-forth between Raylan and Dickie, Dickie's grand reappearance in the Justified universe was more of a polite stopover than anything substantial, because Raylan was able to figure out how to locate the heroin without Dickie's help anyway. 

But hey let's talk about those showdowns! Dewey tangled with Dickie's drug-dealer friend in an attempt to sell off the heroin to get something out of the deal, but ended up with Danny Crowe's gun pointed at him instead. And considering that Dewey is the worst criminal in Harlan, he was lucky to make it out of the room with a head start and empty pockets. Later on, Danny ran into Raylan while bringing the heroin home to Darryl, and we got another chance to see Danny's much-heralded "21-foot rule"—that a man with a drawn knife can run as far as 21 feet and kill a man with a holstered gun before getting shot—put to the test. But Danny hadn't counted on there being an empty grave between himself and Raylan, and ended up putting his knife through the bottom of his face. R.I.P., Psycho Danny. Meanwhile, Ava went after Judith—or more accurately, it was Judith who went after Ava—in the prison chapel, and Ava prevailed, sticking Judith with the "stabber" that Penny provided her. And in a related story, Boyd tied up Albert the prison guard for framing Ava and getting her moved to the maximum-security prison for tough ladies. Finally, Darryl beat the crap out of Wendy. 

Each of these individual scenes were great, with Raylan and Danny's my clear favorite. But we'll have to wait until next week to find out whether the encounters between Boyd and Albert and Darryl and Wendy were necessary to the overall story. And of course you all know what I think about Ava's arc this year. 

There was a lot going on in "Weight," some of it great and some of it just okay, but it was hard to tell where the episode began, where it was trying to end, and what it had to say. A lot of pieces were moved into position for the final three episodes, though, and I'm expecting them to get back to the story that Justified's fifth season has been wanting to tell all along. 

POSTCARDS FROM HARLAN COUNTY

– Now Art is on protection duty for Allison? When is this Art-Raylan tension going to go somewhere? 

– R.I.P. Chelsea the dog. Actually, never mind. Good riddance, Chelsea the dog! You were a mean pooch. 

– Was Kendal right? Did Allison actually narc on him by calling his mom Wendy to come get him while smoking a joint at the same time? Goodness, girl! How about a little sobriety when you're crushing a kid's dreams? Can't the ganja train wait 20 minutes?

– Now Wynn is thinking about which side to take—Boyd's or Picker's. And he's paying some lady $50,000 for the assessment? That seems a little spendy. Maybe there's more to this. 

HEARD 'ROUND HARLAN

Dewey: "I got your shit! I got it all. Well, I mean I got half of it. But it's the whole half."

Raylan: "I don't believe I've ever seen it so dead in here. It's like you got some kind of reverse incentive, keeping people away."
Darryl: "Can't everyday be Black Friday. Bound to have ebbs and flows, today we had an ebb."
Raylan: "To think people say the business model is idiot proof. Speaking of which, where's Dewey?"

Raylan: "What's in it?"
Darryl: "Used condoms, we got to wash them out for reuse. This here's a green whorehouse."

Raylan on Dewey: "That's a lot of confidence for a man who wears shorts with combat boots."

Kendal: "That's where you disappeared to? To blow a J and drop a dime on me?"

Dickey: "Go to a Gas n' Go or whatever and get yourself a map of Kentucky. Follow Route 9 Southbound all the way down with your finger, follow it way, way down until you're pointing right at your asshole. Then what you're gonna do is you take your hand and just go ahead and cram it right up inside, you gotta make sure, Raylan, that you do it in a way so that the rest of you just keeps on following your hand right up your ass right up inside all that shit that you're so full of, Raylan. And then what you're gonna do is *whistling noise* just wink out of existence forever."

Danny: "Are you sure you thought this through, Danny?"

What'd you think of "Weight"? What do you think we'll see in the last three episodes of the season? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/14/2015

Season 6 : Episode 13

63 Comments
Comments (70)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
One thing completely spoiled the Raylan vs. Dickie for me. Raylan's list of grievances against Dickie was treating him like a piñata and going after Loretta.

One would think killing Helen would be at the top of the list.
Flag
You make a good point. But it goes deeper than that. Arlo told Raylan in prison last season that his mother wasn't "Saint Francis". Also when Limehouse - wanting to get under Raylan's skin - said " you want me to tell you about your mother". I have been hoping there would be a big reveal by the end of the show (like Arlo wasn't his real father and was perhaps related by blood to Boyd). But I don't hold any expectations. I also thought we would find out why Jed's mother kept him in prison for life. "There are no Bennets" Raylan said to Jed. So the question of why has never been answered.
Flag
Well, Arlo badmouthed Frances, but I doubt Raylan believed a single word. But regardless of that, it would have no implication on how Raylan felt about Helen. He almost killed Dickie over it. "That woman saved my life." That kind of debt does not go away.
Flag
DICKIE BENNET.

Even if he's here just for a few scenes in an episode, I'll take it! Best Character:)
Flag
Some great scenes in this episode, but I miss Tim! We've hardly seen him all season and I enjoy him and Rayland together as much as I enjoy Rayland and Boyd. If only they'd had a Tim plot line instead of the Ava one, I would have been so happy.

Flag
I agree completely. If this season had substituted a Tim storyline in Ava' s spot it would have been wonderful!
Flag
I was about to say the same thing. I love this show, but it needs more Tim and Raylan doing stuff together.
Flag
Ha-Ha!

Flag
It was so dark and grainy that I didn't recognize Danny's knife at first. I thought he'd just fallen on some gardening tool that had been left in the grave. While this certainly is a bit better, I'm still not a fan of such an anticlimactic, random death. Was really hoping for an awesome scene with Raylan taking on Danny's 21-foot rule.
Flag
Re Wynn paying the 50K for an 'assessment'...my assumption is that the 'assessment' includes the 'assassination' of either Picker or Boyd, whichever she deems least useful.
Flag
EXCELLENT set-up episode, period. Everyone played their parts mighty fine.
Flag
Great episode, but I have to ask. Now, I wasn't watching too carefully, but when Wendy through that first punch, and when she swung the bottle, was she not WAY off the mark? But it looked like, with the punch anyway, Darryl recoiled as though the punch connected. Please, please, please don't tell me that if I'm right about the choreographing it's because they didn't want to show a woman committing violence.

Loved Danny's end -- typical 'Justified'.
Flag
The dialogue was on fire tonight! I laughed so hard when Danny fell into the hole. It was sweet justice! That guy was a piece of s*** and so is Darryl. I'm hoping Little Kendall wakes up and does him in! Sorry but Raylan can't kill everyone and I feel this is a Crowe family problem and needs to be handled by the family! What's up with Duffy? Interesting that he is questioning what he should do.....hmmmm.
Flag
Chelsea the dog Danny raiser from a pup, he loved HER.
He was so worried he was yelling "Come on GIRL" at the doorway because "SHE just never spent a day on HER own out there"
And Danny was so angry when Wendall told him SHE had been killed.

Well I would like to point out 1 tiny detail =

Chelsea has a cock.

I have some theories:

1) Danny found himself the first of a new breed of hermaphrodite dog.
2) Chelsea had gender reassignment surgery while he was in Mexico.
3) Its a strap on.
4) The entire Crowe clan has no idea what female genitalia looks like - including Wendy
5) All the women Danny has been with had penises and he doesn't know any better.
6) Stunt dog
7) A penis shaped growth.
8) The make up dept put it there as a joke.
Flag
Thank you (belatedly), this made my day.
Flag
Based on Graham Yost discussion on EW's website, Chelsea was suppose to be a girl according to the script, however they cast a bull and nobody realised this until the day of filming, so they just decided to roll with it.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/28/justified-over-the-mountain-postmortem/

Flag
Its a joke. Danny thinks Chelsey is a girl but in fact it is a boy. They set that up in the first episode we met his dog. Raylan said, "Chelsey's got a big set of balls on her."
Flag
THAT'S what you found? A penis? I thought: hey, he found proof that ART is going to die in the last episode of this season, but no, you're proving that Justified's editor's are stupid lamers who are apparently uninterested in the refined understandings of canine anatomy. Or it's some kind of weird joke I didn't get so far... But your theories seem sound to me considering what Raylan said earlier this season(thanks DavidJackson!)... and didn't others change pronouns all the time? The Crowes are a joke and I wouldn't put it past Danny to not know the difference, lol. My favorite theories: 3,4,5

Flag
Haha, I'm not sure why they decided to go with the her/she pronouns in this one.

If you remember the episode when Raylan and Tim go to Messer's house and find Danny and Chelsea there, Raylan at some point says: "Chelsea's got a big set of balls on her." And since then, I noticed they usually (maybe always) used him/he pronouns... but I guess the writer(s) for this one made a mistake and the actors never caught the difference?

So I say it's that Danny never seen a naked women, or the women he's seen all had penises.
Flag
I have a really bad feeling about Art. The writers wouldn't horrible enough to kill him would they? And while he's not on good terms with Raylan, at a place he went to as a favour for Raylan, to help clean up another Raylan mess?
Flag
Same fears here - all season long. There is this looming fate shadowing Art this season I can't ignore. Hopefully we are only mislead.
Flag
Reunion of Dickie and Raylan was great and funny ! I thought Raylan was actually inspired on how to find Dewey after visiting Dickie so Dickie did help though no directly.

I cannot remember the last time I laughed so hard about a TV death. I did not see that coming. I was hoping the 21 foot rule to be tested since Danny spoke about it so much. Well, it was still very enjoyable to watch.

I am now liking Ava prison story. She is showing she can be her own Boyd Crowder though circumstances force her to. Judith had it coming.

Biggest and only letdown is Boyd let the guard go. He should have at least tortured and make him suffer !
Flag
I think Boyd did torture the guard, if only mentally, with the discussion about putting holes in himself. I'm sure the guy wet his pants!
Flag
Not Enough :-)
Flag
Still trying to figure what's gonna happen this season, I quiet enjoyed this weeks episode.
Flag
Spot on Tim. This episode was full of great moments and superlative dialogue but it's still a little aimless other than crushing Kendal's soul.
Flag
Clarification: Dickie is still in prison because of what he did in Season 3 not Season 2. He was arrested by Raylan--after pulling on Raylan and getting shot--when he entered Loretta's house looking for Mag's money.
Flag
Staff
Fixed!
Flag
This season is such a disappointment. The writing is bad, the acting has been bad at times, and the continuity and development that made other seasons so good is completely missing here. There is no development of events at all--just brief vignettes of action or conversation that don't hang together. Old characters pop up too often, and unless you have memorized this show you may have trouble remembering who they are and whatthey did previously. Even the dialogue sounds off to me. The Eva thread is past bad into awful. I let my mind wander during the Eva scenes last night. Dewey Crowe is the only character who has any uniqueness this year.

I can't agree with the writer of this review that there were a lot of good individual scenes in last night's show. They mostly seemed contrived to me--just a quick way of moving ahead toward some big "finish." None had the dramatic feel of other seasons.

Sorry to be such a downer, but this show went from being great to being like The Bridge toward the end of its season--crappy.
Flag
Completely disagree with you. Love every second.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Forgive me, but taking your criticism seriously is difficult when you cannot even get a character's name correct. The name is Ava, not Eva.
Flag
I just don't get Art's continuing hatred of Raylan. After he decked him in the bar, it should have been the end of it. Still, a few season's ago, if a dumb-ass criminal had tripped and killed himself over a giant bag of heroin, he would have been doing them all a favor and saving them the trouble of putting him away for life. But now, it's somehow another one of Raylan's screw-ups that he has to clean up. Not cool, Art. Not cool at all.
Flag
Even Art has a breaking point. And Raylan being directly involved in Nicky's death is his breaking point.
Flag
Agreed. That was a big line to cross, so it wasn't a straw that broke the camel's back it was a 50lb weight.

Art made some comments either this episode or last, that no matter how much Rayland screws up (and he screws up EPICALLY) he keeps landing on his feet. The s**t just rolls right off of him. This time he colluded with mobsters to kill another mobster while he watched on the sideline.

That was it, Art's "done." Cleaning up small messes and stuff is one thing but in his eyes Rayland has gone too far and isn't just a rascal that's rough around the edges.

That's not to say what Rayland did was that wrong from a moral standpoint. Said mobster was threatening his family AND had even gone after them once.
Flag
We don't actually know how much Raylan told Art about it because that happened off camera. But let's assume he told him every little detail. Raylan didn't take out a hit on Nicky, he told Sammy of Nicky's plans to kill him and, oh yeah, they were going to meet at the airport that night. When they spoke in the limo, Raylan actually gave Nicky the chance to turn himself in and promise not to go after his family. If he agrees to that, Raylan takes him in and he's still alive today. But no, Nicky said he'd be back to kill all of them after taking care of Sammy in Detroit. Surprise surprise, Sammy beat you to the punch. Raylan's family is safe, but Nicky died because he wanted to kill Sammy Tonin.

BTW, as an aside to this conversation - what an interesting parallel w/ Picker and Wynn Duffy this season compared to Picker and Nicky Augustine from season 4. Picker was at odds w/ Nicky over his dealings with Boyd Crowder and ended up killing him (along with Sammy's other men at the airport). Now he's at odds with Wynn over the exact same thing. Clearly Picker doesn't like Boyd or people that do business with him. And, oh yeah, Picker also executed Sammy Tonin. Surprised he hasn't just gone after Boyd. But Wynn is clearly in a bad situation with Picker and I guess he doesn't realize it somehow .... surely he knows about all those other deaths, though???
More +
Flag
Raylan made himself an accomplice to murder, he is a lawman, he stood aside and let a person be murdered. He must have broken multiple laws and his oaths. Also, he didn't have to admit to Art that he was the lawman there that night, but by telling Art he has forced Art either to turn Raylan in or keep quiet hence implicating him. It was a real dick move by Raylan because it takes responsibility off Raylan and dumps it on Art. I love Raylan but Art is right on this one.
Flag
A few things jumped out at me this episode. 1) Really glad when Raylan knock Darryl across the face with his briefcase of fake cash. It's been too long since we've seen Kickass Raylan, not putting up with people's bull, and the look on Timothy Olyphant's face for that smacking was awesome. 2) I didn't buy Boyd letting the prison guard go. I thought the guy revealing that he claimed to love Ava spelled Boyd killing him for sure when what Boyd really wanted was for the guy to get Ava off the hook. I did NOT see coming Boyd letting him go. 3) I half thought Kendall would get the gun from behind the bar and shoot Darryl while he was beating Wendy. But it didn't happen. Maybe it will happen later.
Flag
Hah! Nearly the same thing I posted, below!
Flag
It was better, but then again the bar isn't set that high this season. I really wish they hadn't brought back Dickie. Dickie reminds me of season 2, the best season, and how good it was compared to the dreck that it is now. And the odd thing is, Dickie didn't miss a beat. The interaction between Dickie and Raylan was superb, it was the Justified of old. It was what this show is supposed to be. I was elated. The writing was there, live and in color. And then Raylan left the jail and we were back into sucktown population mostly the Crowes. Now the conversation between Dickie and Raylan was perfect, which goes to show that the writers can still pull off fun and compelling dialogue. So what the hell is wrong with this season. Most likely it is the Actors, namely Rapaport and whomever plays Danny. Without a doubt the worst actors that they have had on tis show. Those two, coupled with the jumping around to too many different plots makes this season not only its weakest. But just plain not entertaining.

Now speaking of the Crowes, let us start with Danny and his demise. I can't tell if that was just hilarious or a stupid death to one of the stupidest characters on the show. Either way it was a let down. I get that Raylan not shooting him puts him better in the graces of Art. But I don't care, I wanted Raylan to put two in his heart and one right through the brain stem of that oaf. Him running at Raylan falling in a hole and impaling himself with his knife wasn't satisfying. And again as I have said before this season, it felt like something that would have been in an isolated episode. Bad guy talks crap all investigation and then gets offed easily. This whole season reminds me of Season one episode 3 "The Fixer". Daryl is Travis Travers, Danny is Curtis Mims, the guy that wanted to out shoot Raylan, and gets easily killed by Travers who thinks he is good enough to pull off something more than he can, like Daryl. But instead of one episode which would have not only been enough of these two, but it would have been kind of fun. But no, they wanted a whole season of this crap.

Now on to Daryl. I can't get mad about Daryl going after Wendy. Mostly because it was probably the most unbelievable pat of this whole season. It might be because I find Rapaport about as intimidating as my good mate's 13 year old daughter. I don't believe Wendy loses that fight. The problem with making Daryl into a monster is that Rapaport can't pull it off. I was fully ready for Wendy to beat the crap out of him. And then blood brother's thing with Kendal I think was Rapaport's weakest offering. His horrible accent just keeps getting worse and worse. I honestly thought we were going to get some saving of this season and have Boyd kill him in the office. I mean the opportunity was right there and in any other season he would have.

Boyd's whole thing with the Guard was weird. It was good mind you, but just weird. I am not really sure about it. Mostly because there was little too it. The whole I love her thing kind of came out of the blue and seemed off because she is in another facility now away from her so I am not sure what the entire plan was. I get Boyd not killing him because well he was kind of pathetic. But at the same time I would have killed him.

Kendal And Alison. This is likely a set up. They had to reel her back in with some trumped up thing about the Crowes trying to get her. Sending Art instead of oh I don't know any one of the other agents like say Tim or Rachel or Tim and Rachel. Not doing so is kind of telling. Which given the issues between Raylan and Art, Art is likely going to get hurt somehow. Which could be the impetus to reconcile their Relationship or drive the wedge further. Either way I am not sure it is necessary to move that plot forward. I was content with leaving Alison out for the rest of the season, mostly because she has been the weakest love interest of Raylan since Winona.

As I said the episode as a whole was better. But I am not sure they can come up with anything to save this season.

More+
Flag
Did I Just Watch A Reunion Show Of "Mayberry RFD"?

Reunion or parody? Good to see Andy Griffith making a last-minute appearance to chastise Barney Fife. Good to see Barney go see Otis the Drunk behind bars. Good to see that Don Knotts, parodies himself, by stepping back and being a caricature of himself.

And we needed an appearance by another outside character - Mary Steenburgen - for what? Wynn Duffy was brought on to be a regular cast member. And he is relegated to sitting with Pickert in a hotel like they are at Eloise of the Plaza Hotel. How does Steenburgen move Duffy's plot line along exactly?

Someone has been watching too many Mob movies. Last episode we had a Goodfellas back-of-the-car strangling. I gave it a pass. But now a blood for blood making of a "made man" with a kid? Inappropriate.

Houston we have a problem. Justified genius has always been humor with emotion. I am not embarrassed to say I have cried at times in the show. Who can't remember Raylan and Loretta especially when Raylan was playing his role straight. I felt nothing with Boyd and Ava, nor Ava and Judith. The biggest emotional moment? Danny (the actor) trying his hardest to make me sad because his dog died. Great acting, but out of proportion.

My last week narrative stands. Tim and Rachel are MIA because there is going to be a showdown in the Lexington office next season. Boyd learning that everyone he touches gets destroyed. Raylan using his badge to right the wrongs of society - even when he has no jurisdiction. Ava milking every episode as a consolation prize for leaving the show in S5.

Season 5 - with three episodes to go - is not going to be a good stand-alone season. That is now certain. It can be nothing more than a set-piece for what hopefully is a great final S6 ending season.

That's sadly, is as optimistic I can be.
More+
Flag

Please notice TO playing Raylan straight. Please note the mix of funniness and emotion. Can any parent not cry when they watch this clip? Can any fan of the show not see the difference between Season 2 and Season 5 of Justified?

While I am proud this website has voted my comments "up" two weeks in a row; my main concern is to my fellow viewers.

I run a world-wide corporation. I don't have a lot of time to watch TV. An 18 hour flight is long. A downloaded Justified episode is a great treat. My handle says it all: what I do for a living and what my passion is.

I don't watch a Justified episode so I can complain. I watch it as my best time every week for thirteen weeks. I am not a Justified-basher; I am a Justified fan and optimist.

This clip is is what Justified means to me. You can add other scenes with characters like Boyd and Ava getting engaged and them crying in love. Or Ellen May and Shelby hugging. There are many more. But what scene do we have to make a clip of Season 5.?

Anyways please watch this clip and let me know if you do see the difference in the show ....
More +
Flag
Really not having a good feeling about Art looking out for Allison, seems like some foreboding with Art so close to retirement....not a good feeling at all. What a fitting end to a fitting sociopath Danny, he fell on his own swor.....oops I meant knife. Really like Dewey but what was the purpose of Dewey running over Miller? It seemed pointless. In regards to Ava, now what? She's killed someone else, what will the nurse ask her to do now? And why did Ava dump Boyd if Boyd is her outside connection to the drugs? Just not getting the whole Ava in jail thing, just get her out already. Was still a very entertaining eppy though.
Flag
I was totally expecting Ava to get killed in the chapel scene.
Flag
I was expecting Kendal to shoot Daryl in the back while he was kicking the crap out of Wendy... pity.
Flag
I enjoyed it, very much. Time flew by. I laughed for 5 minutes straight when Danny fell into the grave and stabbed himself. I was totally expecting (and a bit disappointed at not seeing it) Raylan to easily shoot him before he got half way. Interestingly, it almost looked like Danny would have got to him first if it hadn't been for that grave. But, disappointment, aside, that was a really funny scene and I'm glad for it.

Full of suprises, this ep.

* I expected Kendal shoot Daryl while he was beating his mom.

* Then I expected Wendy to shoot Daryl while he was bonding with Kendal.

* As mentioned, I expected Raylan to shoot Danny during his 21 foot run. Will we NEVER know if the 21 foot rule works?!

* I was surprised that the DEA agent survived Dewey's hit and run.

* I didn't expect Eva to ally with preacher lady.

* I TOTALLY did not get why Boyd let creepy guard go. Saying the reason he framed Eva was because he loved her should have had the opposite effect. I'm baffled he let him go.

Personally, I don't find the season aimless. It's got a TON going on, but I'm really enjoying it. Think of it like a Rubics Cube. You could be just 4 or 5 moves away from solving it, but it looks like a jumbled mess. I'm confident they can match up all the colors in the remaining 3 episodes.
More+
Flag
Boyd letting the guard go because he claimed to love Ava makes no sense whatsoever.

I've heard that 20-foot rule before. I forget exactly where, but it was a show (or movie) with the FBI and some Indians. IIRC the Indian with the knife won. Against the bad guy not the FBI. It might have been an episode of Criminal Minds.
Flag
Lol, that's what I was thinking.....now we'll never know if the 21 foot rule works or not! As quick on the draw as Raylan is, it sure did look like he was not getting his gun out in time to avoid being stabbed. But....now we'll never know. Looked like it would've been a two way street. Looked like he'd have fired on Danny and shot him, but Danny would've been close enough to have also stabbed him.
Flag
Really entertaining episode. That Kendal kid actor is pretty spectacular. Also, how could you not include the green whorehouse line?
Flag
Maybe he included it afterwards, but I see the green whorehouse line right in the middle of those quotes.
Flag
BTW:Tim, it was Season 3 that Raylan shot Dickie and then Dickie went to prison.

Finally an episode that we can sink our teeth into. I read that Mary Steenburgen signed on for 3 episodes, just in case anyone wants to know how much she will be involved. Wynn Duffy's question as to which guy he should put his faith in will undoubtedly point to Boyd, since Picker is a somewhat of a nobody character, soon due to meet his maker. From the next episode previews it looks like someone found a way to end the "Art hates Raylan" thing. It appears that Ava is going to become the new Judith, or am I wrong? In any case she's in for an extended stay. Does anyone else think that Allison is kinda sleazy? Dewey isn't just wearing shorts with combat boots, he's also wearing long underwear. I thought that after such a big buildup of the 21 foot rule the end result of Danny stabbing himself to death was beyond awesome, great writing! I wish Boyd would have sliced and diced that little toad Albert, and then eliminated Nurse Rohenna. I'm really excited about the possibilities for next week, but why did it take so long to get to this point? I'd like these last episodes to be 2 hours each, and all of next season's episodes to be at least 2 hours each.

More+
Flag
Staff
Fixed the S3 vs. S2 bit!
Flag
this must be the first time a national park service ranger appeared on any cop show.
Flag
Last week I mentioned that I would love to see Dickey and Dewey share some screen time again, and someone was listening because the "Laurel and Hardy" of Harlan County did not disappoint!

This was another great episode. As always, Raylan and Boyd continue to elevate their level of "cool" whenever they are on the screen. I've yet to decide which of the two are the most cool!

I'm enjoying Ava's story line. I especially like the fact that she's not portrayed as a shrinking violet who only blossoms when in the shadow of her man. Ava is showing that despite who her man might be, she's a survivor in her own right, and will do what she needs to do to survive.

Danny? I was glad to see that psycho dead. And it couldn't have been more poetic in that he killed himself! And Raylan being Raylan couldn't have been more smooth in his response to watching Danny impale himself.

The Crowes are about to totally implode, and I think Darryl will live to regret that beat down he gave Wendy. "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned (or, in this case, kicked in the ribs)".

Will we see Winona again? Natalie Zea's character was killed off on "The Following", so hopefully that leaves the door open for her to "come back home". Although I did read somewhere that she was starring in a new series called "The Rebels". It would be nice to have her arc with Raylan given proper closure in the final season.

Overall, this was another episode worthy of applause!

More+
Flag
Spoiler Alert (regarding Natalie Zea) !!

Natalie Zea pilot rebel was not taken on by Amazon as a series but before you are too happy that she might come back to Harlan, her character on the following Claire just magically risen from the dead (the narrative is she never died but to many viewers she literally rise from the dead).
Flag
I finally got a chance to watch the most current episode of The Following. Now, I really understand your spoiler alert....lol!
Flag
Glad you did not the first time.
Flag
Thanks for that Natalie Zea update. With any luck the good folks of Justified will be able to steal her for an episode or two before she mysteriously rises from the dead on The Following.
Flag
I also don't mind Ava's story nearly as much as most here seem to. Rather than feeling disjointed, boring, and unnecessary, to me it paints a more complete picture of Harlan County. It makes it feel more real. I know the plot is not central to the other stuff going on (not yet, anyway), but one of the things I've always loved about Justified is how the show makes Harlan totally feel like a real place and like we live in that small town and know everything that's going on (as small town people do).
Flag
I have only one major problem with Justified this season: What's up with the hour-plus run times? My DVR cuts out after an hour, and I miss the last 10 minutes unless I catch a later showing. Well, maybe the problem is with FX or Comcast.
Flag
The problem is probably with your Comcast or whoever Comcast pays to provide them an accurate schedule feed for their guide.

Verizon Fios is accurately rendering the correct end-time for the show, so my DVR just automatically records the last X minutes.

It sounds like your Comcast feed isn't storing the end-time properly or whoever they pay for said feed is doing a cruddy job.
Flag
I missed the end as well. Oh hell!
Flag
Another great episode.

So surprised at how Danny went out. The writers pulled a little twist much like what they did when everyone thought Quarles' sleeve gun was going to jam.

Loved Daryl this episode.

Plus, maybe its me, but who cares where this season is headed. Just sit back and put your faith in the writers. They haven't let us down yet and I am sure they will blow us out of the park. The writers know what they're doing, no matter what some people might think.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members