A Justified Community
FX (ended 2015)

Justified S05E12: "Starvation"

Alright, I know I spent a lot of last week's review talking about how a happy ending to Justified, for me, is Raylan becoming the good father I know he can be, and that all the signs were pointing toward that possible outcome, but the ending of "Starvation" certainly showed that Raylan doesn't have much regard for kids. Part of being a good father—you might even say a substantial part—is having a way with kids, and we've seen Raylan interact comfortably with Loretta and also chastise Darryl for getting his nephew Kendal involved in his mess (by blaming the boy for Art's shooting).

But Raylan just can't seem to ignore a good old-fashioned standoff, and at the end of this very excellent episode, he called Darryl Crowe Jr. on his bluff and made sure that all the paperwork was in order to try Kendal as an adult in the shooting of a federal officer. Raylan's idea is that even Darryl isn't lowly enough to let his own kin—especially his own pre-pubescent kin—take the fall for Darryl's own crime and miss the next 40 Thanksgivings' worth of Darryl's gator pie because he's doing time. 

Yikes. This was a HUGE gamble for Raylan, and honestly, kind of a dick move on his part (not that he's a stranger to dick moves). But to bet everything—and by "everything," I mean "Kendal's life"—on the conscience of a guiltless man like Darryl Crowe was gutsy, brash, and all those other adjectives we often use to describe Raylan. Maybe it was an easy decision for Raylan because he's playing with someone else's money, or maybe Raylan wants Darryl so badly that he feels it's worth the risk. (It's not, and I'm surprised Judge Reardon signed off, especially since Raylan called it a 50-50 shot.)

Even though "Starvation" essentially depicted Raylan as a terror to children everywhere, his push to try Kendal as an adult could end up being what kicks Raylan toward that happy ending of mine with a lesson learned the hard way. As Reardon said, once this bullet is fired, it can't be put back, so if Raylan's risk doesn't pay off—whether it's because Darryl doesn't step up and admit that he's the one who shot Art, or because of the more unlikely-but-still-present possibility that Kendal actually was the one who shot Art—Kendal's life will be ruined because Raylan had him tried as an adult in a game of Chicken with Darryl. There's no reason that Season 5 has to have a happy ending, especially knowing that Justified has a sixth and final season on deck that could provide the perfect opportunity to redeem Raylan and give him a real happy ending. Maybe Raylan will see firsthand that he has the power to destroy a child's life, and decide that he doesn't want to do the same thing to his daughter. It's a method that could work for Justified, and one that I hope comes to fruition. Man, I am totally fixated on this situation with Raylan and his daughter, aren't I? (He says with his own infant daughter sleeping like a beautiful angel puppy just feet away. Awww, she's so darling!) No guns were drawn, but this is one of the most dangerous shots Raylan has ever fired as a Marshal. Just the look on Wendy's face illustrated the seriousness of the situation.

Anyway, before that sledgehammer of an ending, there was plenty else to like about "Starvation." The dialogue was crack-a-lackin', even for the silver-tongued Justified. The scene inside Wynn Duffy's Winnebago was a piece of art disguised as a free-for-all conversation. I'm not sure we've seen many—if any—scenes with Boyd, Wynn, Raylan, Rachel, and Tim sharing the screen, but it was awesome to watch Raylan play cocky teacher and Boyd play class clown as we learned that Tim thought American Hustle could have used a lot more Jason Statham (I agree). 

"Starvation" also continued compressing this season's storylines as Boyd, Darryl, and Raylan finally found themselves intertwined. Raylan-versus-Boyd stories are always a highlight, but you know what's even better? Boyd and Raylan working together to take down some scummier scumbag. At this point I'm just as annoyed at Darryl coming into Harlan as Boyd and Raylan are, so seeing Boyd drop by the Marshal's Office to help get rid of a nuisance (while helping his own cause) was a thing of beauty. 

Now we head into next week's finale with a risky play by Raylan hanging in the balance, a Mexican Cartel threatning Boyd's hide (literally), and the possibility of everything going very, very wrong. It's as good a position as Justified's been in all season, and it comes at the perfect time. 

POSTCARDS FROM HARLAN COUNTY

– Ava's storyline picked up a tiny bit, but it had nothing to do with her being in jail. The look on her face when Raylan told her he cooperated with the Marshals in exchange for a clean slate was pretty devastating, but sorry girl, you broke up with him! He was a single guy.

– But the rest of Ava's storyline in jail was still uninteresting. Penny got shanked, but am I really supposed to care about Penny? 'Cause I don't; I guess I'm a bad person. Also, I'm having problems telling the women apart since they're all wearing the same thing, they don't shampoo, and they all have tattoos.

– Geez, with Boyd telling everyone about Raylan's involvement in Nicky Augustine's death, just about everyone knows about it. Is anything ever going to happen on that front? Or will it just hang over Raylan for the rest of the series? 

– Is Dewey Crowe's reign of terror over? Poor guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But it was for the wrong reasons, too, so it fits his run of bad luck. Also, he almost got shot by a granny with a shotgun in the episode's funniest scene.

HEARD 'ROUND HARLAN

Wynn: "I assume my success would obviate the need for any skinning or any skin-related procedures?"

Darryl: "Dang, what you guys doing, smells like a pig roast."

Darryl: "Your kung-fu shit don't work on me."

Boyd: "Well you mention the name Alberto I take it you ain't talking about the waiter from your favorite Mexican restaurant." 

Boyd: "They want my skin."

Wynn: "Must be a new cartel fad to jazz up the tedium of beheadings." 

Raylan: "Last I heard, you had a swanky hotel room."

Wynn: "Swanky? Paris is swanky. Lexington is pig shit."
Raylan: "That attitude may be why they kicked you out."

Boyd: [clapping] "Has the presentation ended?"

Boyd: "Your savior has arrived."

Bartender guy: "This is the worst job in the world!"

Dewey: "If you just gonna be a minute, you mind if I take a shit?"

Granny: "You better run you son of a bitch!"

Dewey: "The anus is on you."

Dewey: "Wait."

Dewey: "I was kidding, man."

Raylan: "That's a good defense, go with that."

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/14/2015

Season 6 : Episode 13

68 Comments
Comments (68)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This was precisely what I wanted from a penultimate episode.

And Chris Provenzano never disappoints with dialogue!

Flag
I like your review Tim but after seeing True Detective I can't vote for this episode being any flavor of great, amazing or what not.

Actually, I'm bored with Justified. I'll have to rewatch the first seasons to remember exactly what attracted me to this show aside from Raylan and Boyd interactions (great actors being wasted btw---how about being the next pair of True Detective ?). On the other hand, I do remember that I never considered Justified an intellectual or highly artistic piece of entertainment. It's fun and entertainment.

BTW, British TV show LUTHER is my suggestion for a cure for people craving about useless things like storylines and the like. It has this same type of unlikely association between a cop and a criminal. Sadly the show just ended in 2013 and is yet another proof that great TV is usually not on TV (or not on TV for long).

On the bright side, I'm happy to learn they plan to finish at a specific number of seasons and soon (2 seasons left!). I am not being mean here : it's easier to follow someone who knows where the finish line is and when we'll get to it than one who just wants to make money until the well dries up and/or turns bad.

But I digress.

Suffice to say, I think that tidbit about "final season 6" is good news for people like me complaining about the storyline.
More+
Flag
@ Spoiler junkie, 6 keys= 6 KILOS
Flag
My take away was Raylan really does love Art; that he's willing to sacrifice Kendall and Ava, which I didn't mind. As far as Raylan ruining Kendall's life, well I think his insufferable mother and uncle might have more to do with it. Plus I'm surprised Kendall wasn't going to be tried as an adult anyway for allegedly shooting a Federal Officer. Why would they charge him as a juvenile?
Flag
Sixth season will be about the torrid and forbidden relationship between Art and Raylan.
Flag
LOL! Now THAT'S something I would look forward too!
Flag
Dewey Crowe had me in tears laughing, and the bartenders line was so unexpected it floored me.
Another home run for Justified, the writing is so dam spot on its always a great ride!
Flag
When I write my comments, I make sure I don't read any other review. Then I check out all the reviews and Yost's recap on EW.

As to the latter, I have noticed how much - as opposed to KS on SOA - is done by committee. And how much the "committee" is now dominated by TO.

Here's the thing. What hooked me on Justified was storyline, drama, dialog and black humor. In that order. TO believes the show is a comedy. I believe that's where the creative tension is. Storyline and drama, are being sacrificed by dialog and black humor.

TO also wants the show to be like Curb Your Enthusiasm. And I love Curb and can see TO someday moving in that direction very well. But in Curb - actors make cameos - and its clicks because it gives LD a new person to riff with.

We are all making great points at a 500 foot level. But there has to be a 50,000 foot level explanation. And I think the answer is as simple as Justified is grappling with whether it is a serialized drama or it is a un-serialized dark comedy.

With the answer and the fulfillment being something that ebbs and flows. The great shows are consistent. And Justified is simply not.
More+
Flag
I don't understand why the Crowe Clan keeps insisting that Raylan ended Danny's life. Even Tim made reference to it. Danny stabbed himself to death during his demonstration of the obscure 21 foot rule. Did the writing staff forget what previously took place? They wrote the scene!
Flag
The way I see it, the Crowes blame Raylan for Danny's death because if Raylan didn't interfere when Danny was mourning Chealsy, Danny wouldn't have fallen in the grave trying to kill Raylan. Raylan may not have pulled the trigger himself but, again this is the way I see it, without Raylan interfering Danny would be still alive.
Flag
This season has not been Rachel-Centric enough for my liking. Tim has been 'a bar stool' all season for the sake of these other one line wonders the show didnt even need to employ. When they try to employ too many actors it decentralizes things a little too much, like Boardwalk Empire. Useless actors poppin' in for 40 seconds a week. I mean, I like Eric Roberts and Wood Harris, but they aint really doing anything. Its like Justified added no less than 15 cast members who are little more than props. I still like the show but what the hell are they doin? It's like Elmore Leonard died and the show ran of the rails.
Flag
Rachel is very under utilized.
Flag
oh and I'm also very concerned for the safety of Jimmy's skin...
Flag
SO many great lines in this episode! "The anus is on you" and "THIS IS THE WORST JOB IN THE WORLD" made me laugh almost as much as Danny falling in the hole a couple of weeks ago.
My heart sinks every time we move to a prison scene, knowing it's going to be 5 or 10 minutes that could be better spent just listening to other characters speaking.
Flag
Ava is getting get shivved next episode and since the article brings up Raylan's daughter a lot, I have a feeling Darryl Crowe might pay her a visit

And a random thought, a lot of criminals on this show have the letter 'D' start at their first name and last name. Dickie Bennett, Darryl Crowe, Dewey Crowe, Wynn Duffy......
Flag
Sorry, bartender saying "this is the worst job in the world" after getting shot was the funniest scene.
Flag
The episode was fine I guess, but did anyone else think that it was kind of hard to believe that Darryl could take on Mike without any problems?
Flag
Agree. I just don't see Rappaport as a bruiser
Flag
I thought the same thing, but the door knocked Mike down when Darryl broke in and he was flat on his back for the fight, otherwise I'm pretty sure Mike would have had the upper hand in that fight.
Flag
This season. it is ruining this show for me.

First the good. All things Boyd and Raylan, All things Boyd, Raylan, Tim and Rachael, this is the and has always been the key to this show, the banter the wit and the panache. It is what makes/made this show great. Smart actors playing smart characters, there was literally for a time, nothing better on TV. Raylan interacting with all of them this episode was great. This show still could be nothing but Boyd and Raylan and it would be the one of the best shows on TV. And then they had to ruin it and beloved characters with just indomitable dross that you can't stand them.

I can't stand Dewey anymore. Dewey's character is the reason behind the Crowe's. I can no longer like his character, because of the utter shite the rest of the characters with his name has brought. I just can't, it isn't charming anymore, it isn't fun. I look at him and I think of the rest and how much they suck as characters. It is good that he is gone, I hope that he doesn't come back next season somehow, because it will lessen next season with the taint of Crowe.

Ava. Kill her, shank her in her bed. Do something, anything with that plot line. ANYTHING. The prison has been one of the worst prison plot lines I have ever seen in a show. EVER. The writers needed to take a page from Banshee or Hannibal to see a decent prison plot line in the former and a fantastic prison plot line in the latter. But they didn't. They have burned through any affinity that I once held for Ava as a character. Kill her, shank her do something. They even glossed over the best part of the plot. Which was that Hitler chick snitched on her friend to point the snitch towards Ava to lose what little power she had. That was great. But nope. Wasted.

Now the crap that is unbelievable and lessens what this show once was. First, Duffy employs Mike because he is very good. There is no way Daryll wins that fight. So Mike is either really incompetent at BJJ which if he is under the employ of Duffy he would be. Or Daryll is great, which he isn't. And there is no freaking way in hell that Daryll picks up Mike. Rapaport is tubby, flabby, fat, unfit, it looks like he hasn't worked out in about a decade. There is no way he picks up Mike. Nope.

Second, the set up with Kendal. First, good. Kendal had his chance, actually this season he has had several. He could have told Raylan or Wendy about Danny killing the haitian, he didn't. He could have truth to Alison, he didn't. He could have told the truth about shooting Art, he didn't. I have no qualms about tossing his worthless ass in prison for the most part of his life. None. He would turn out just like Daryl or worse and it would likely be doing the nation a favor. The worse thing is he is smart enough to know the right answer and still chooses the wrong one. So toss him in prison.

Another part of that that isn't believable is Wendy. I can see her going after the drugs. Fine. But if you threaten a boy whose mother is right there in the room with nearly life in prison at his age. While she knows he didn't do it, while she sits in the room with the guy that did, a guy that beat her a few days ago. There is no way in hell she doesn't immediately roll on Daryll and starting saying anything and everything to squash that deal. No freaking way she sits there. And trusts the man sitting next to her that again just beat her, knowing that he is a moron, that he is somehow going to make it right. Now there is alway with certain dramas that smart characters become stupid conveniently, and for some shows it is ok because they don't do it often. For some shows it is like SOA and it has been the past 3 seasons, 4 if you are talking about the doc. But this might be one of the greatest dumbing down of a character with Wendy, ever. Seriously, her diatribe of Raylan killing Danny was just dumb. He was a moron that ran into a hole and stabbed himself.

I know this is all meant to set Raylan and Daryl. But Daryl is a moron who should have been shot episode 1. He is not the big bad that the writers have and to do Olympic lifts to bring him up to be. He is the worst character they have ever written. He isn't even a two bit character. He sucks. Raylan arresting him or killing him isn't going to mean anything because it should have been done a while ago.

Hopefully the writers pull their heads out of their arse for the last season, because this has been the biggest drop in quality since perhaps SOA. Except Justified has been better from the start.

More+
Flag
I got to agree with most of this, except there the very last part. Justified didn't get as good as SoA until the second season. The second seasons both shows are excellent and I can't really choose between the two. This has really been the only weak season, where SoA has had several weak seasons, so Justified had been more consistent with it's quality, even though the first two seasons of SoA I hold dear.

As for the episode, I didn't hate it as much as you apparently did. This is a filler season, and it seems like it was made up to set up the last season with the rivalry that matters; Raylan Givens vs. Boyd Crowder. Daryl Crowe is just a stepping stone to get to that, and I think the writers knew that at this point. But yeah, don't care about any of the Crowes anymore, even Dewey. Yes, Duffy's bodyguard has lost a lot of credibility getting beat up by Daryl, and speaking of Duffy, I have a feeling he may get killed off. As for Ava, if they aren't going to get her out of jail, then they NEED to kill her off. You know a show isn't do good when you want a character dead based on a plotline than the actual character.

I have faith that next and final season can be great, it just sucks that a season had to be wasted to get there. Then again, the casting of Michael Rapaport should have been an indication of that.
More +
Flag
See for me, Justified had me from two distinct moments in the pilot. Raylan shooting Tommy Bucks and Boyd's first speech. I knew it was a show for me. It took me a few episodes to get into SOA. Though I do agree that SOA had a stronger first season.

But as for the hate. It isn't really total hate. It is just that though there is great stuff going on in the episodes, it is very much outweighed by the crappy stuff. Like why hasn't someone explained to Rapaport that squinting isn't acting. Rapaport is like the Kristin Stewart of his generation.

I have top hope that all of this Ava in prison stuff is for something. Does she come out as a kingpin? What would be interesting is if they wrote Hale getting her out and taking Ava under her wing. But I doubt it, the writing this season has been horrible.

I really hope they don't kill off Duffy. Well at least until the last couple of episodes of next season.
Flag
Dewey Crowe makes more sense than you do. But even though I COMPLETELY disagree with you, that is your opinion and I respect it.
Flag
I really liked this episode. Loved all the interactions between the characters. I think there's still a twist to come in the whole Kendall mess. And I am in the rare minority of fans who don't find Ava's prison story line boring or useless. I believe it was a slow burn that ed us to the really shitty place that Ava now finds herself in.

Fellow fans, I hope you clear up my one major doubt.

Half of the heroin Boyd and the Crowes got from the Mexican cartel was seized by the Marshals when Danny (who was carrying it) was confronted by Raylan and died. Yes?

That leaves the remaining half. In the previous episode before going to the hotel suite, Boyd had instructed Carl and Jimmy to hide the whole half. In the hotel suite he strikes a deal with Duffy to give him half out of that half. In this episode we learn that it's in an old barn and Duffy still hasn't gotten his half of the half. When the Marshals arrested Wendy they must have confiscated the heroin inside the barn - which they used again when Boyd wore the wire and tried to set up Darryl.

Now, at the end of the episode, Boyd calls Jimmy and instructs him to hide the last six keys in the ceiling above his desk and run. What did he mean by the six keys? Heroin? I was quite confused, since Boyd hadn't had the opportunity to divide the heroin. Or did Carl and Jimmy stored part of the heroin in the barn and a part somewhere else? Or does keys refer to something else entirely?

I would really appreciate it if someone cleared my doubts. Thanks in advance.
More+
Flag
My guess is that only a little of the confiscated heroin is real. Like say a brick. And then the rest Boyd has. Or well the Mexican's now have.

But yea I heard that and thought the same.
Flag
What a great episode!
Poor Dewey, he really is as dumb as a box of rocks.
Boyd has some balls strolling into the Marshall's office lookin' for a deal, then straight up snitching on Raylan!! That's some bad ass stuff right there!
Darryl Crowe Jr needs to get his comeuppance, and soon! Is it just me or was there a creepy incest vibe going on between him and Wendy this episode? Very unsettling stuff.
Poor Jimmy! He had a good run, seeing that people who associate with Boyd do not end up in a good place (be it jail or six feet under).
Yet again, Ava's stupid prison storyline ruined the coherency of the episode. We still don't care! Frankly, the sooner she gets shivved, the better, if she's not gonna get out and live happily ever after with Boyd.
More Tim and Rachel please!
Flag
Everybody in Harlan county has a gun and even grannies have big guns ! That is a lesson Dewey have to remember. Also look out for Marshals before going into a room and declare the drugs to be ALL yours and you killed somebody ! Dewey was real funny. I will missed him.

Raylan decision on Kendal was badass like the first Raylan I know in Justified season one premiere !

I was thinking his action might be to prompt Wendy to turn against Daryl. No way Daryl is going to admit he is the shooter. Then again how much does Wendy actually know?

Wynn Duffy is fun, I hope they keep him around for season six.

Flag
Using Kendal to stop Darryl is not cruel. Nobody on this show seems to think about the other kids of Harlan, how all these maniacs running around are putting them in danger, but Raylan's actions were for the greater good. Plus, he probably sees that giving Kendal a pep talk from Raylan's own upbringing did nothing while the kid fell further under Darryl's influence, and nobody thinks Arlo was a good role model so Darryl's twice as bad.

The funny thing is that you talk about Raylan's daughter while the show hasn't thought about her in weeks now. This is one of the things I haven't liked about season 5, loose threads.

Everything about this episode had a slippery slope feel, interesting things happened because of plot contrivances - Wynn, the cartel, Boyd, Dewey, Wynn's henchman, Boyd's henchman, Wendy, just on and on with this. I still cannot stand the Crowes being the centerpiece though, they continue to feel like a discount Bennetts. It feels to me like this was an ok episode if you ignore the fact that the writers have run the Harlan soap opera out of gas and have no idea how to make Raylan and the Marshals interesting again without making Boyd their target.

Oh man, fuck Ava and her storyline. I actually sat through most of it this time since it seemed like it was finally connecting to the main plot, but it didn't at all, it was a ruse to get us to watch as Penny got shanked. I DON'T CARE ABOUT PENNY OR ANYBODY IN THAT JAIL. FUCK OFF AVA STORYLINE! "Uninteresting" is generous, it's clumsy and distracting and a waste of budget.
More+
Flag
Any episode with lots of Dewey Crowe is a good one :) His anus line was the winner for me
Flag
Heard Round Harlan
Dewey: This it than Raylan? No final words, put Dewey Crowe in his place?

Raylan: My advice? Stop talkin about yourself in the third person, makes ya sound like a fool.
Dewey: Third person...this guy? Man I don't understand you.

Hahahahahahah I can't believe you didn't include that conversation in the review! I laughed so hard, Dewey really doesn't have a clue whats going on hahahaha
Also I can't believe you didn't mention Jimmy in the end, that was heartbreaking. The tear pouring down his cheek it broke my heart, I love Jimmy I really hope nothing happens to him!!!!
Flag
No matter how the writers may have attempted to tie in the Women's Prison crap, that story arc has been a pointless waste of valuable screen time. So much more story telling could have spent on Harlan County and the struggle there. To have so much unresolved at this point and have only one episode left to take care of everything or worse, leave it all hanging until next season is disappointing, frustrating and annoying.

I'm hoping that Boyd shows the Mexican Boys how adept he is with explosives. I didn't find Kendal all that endearing and I have a genuine dislike for the rest of the Crowe Clan, so much that their total demise would be heart warming. Allison did not develop as a likeable character with her not only not observing the law, as a social worker (framing a father to send him to prison), but thumbing her nose at the law by smoking pot whenever and wherever she pleases. By Raylan liking her it forced him to turn a blind eye to her activities and by association, subsequently got the Chief shot.

I sure hope that more thought is put into the Series Episodes for next season then was done for this season. I'd like this series to end on an upnote with everyone wanting more, not glad that it finally ended and complaining how it deteriorated over the final seasons. Please, make Elmore proud.
More+
Flag
Tim, you missed one golden dialog nugget in the "Heard Round Harlan" section. Raylan telling Dewey to quit talking in the third person, and Dewey responding "What......you mean this guy?" and looking at the other officer.
Flag
Hah?

First The Good - I had the chance to run through the entire season. Cleverly I noticed that the white nazi's sister was always lurking in the background (her red hair was meant to stick out) of Ava scenes. Up until I did my run through of the season I forgot about her. I am not in favor of show bringing a character out of nowhere. But upon further review; Ava's enemy had been hiding in plain sight. Brilliant.

Who Ripped Up The Acting Marshall's Letter In The Writing Room? - Every decision - including the fateful and risky decision with Judge Hammer - was decided by Raylan. Rachel's only input? To take a non-Art-like stance on Boyd saying Raylan was on the tarmac for Nicky A's murder. Its bad enough she wasn't acting in charge. But its worse when the very man that named her as his replacement - and nurtured her - defended Raylan.

Set Up Piece With Too Many Moving Parts - I couldn't count how many scenes involved Boyd. I couldn't count how many times Boyd made different decisions and how his fate changed in only 45 minutes. Quality was sacrificed for making this episode appear to be speeding to a finish. By the end, nothing really had changed. Every character still faces the same fates they had in the "Toll". It was less a set up piece; than a fast-paced timeout to get to the final episode.

Boyd Remains The Person Who Loves People And They Suffer For It - I noted this a few weeks ago. Boyd only loves himself. His latest "loved ones" - Jimmy and Ava - will be the latest ones. Before that it was the men in his church. His father. Raylan's father. Ect. Seeing as there is one season left, I agree with the reviewer on one point. Boyd has to survive and Raylan has to get burned. Otherwise Boyd doesn't make it to S6. S6 will be a showdown of Boyd protecting Boyd while Raylan coming to terms with himself. S5's ending without a happy ending seems its destiny. Just as Sons Of Anarchy did as well. With both going into their final seasons.
More+
Flag
The truly most original (and therefore the best) aspect of Justified this year has been the Dewey Crowe character and his shenanigans that go wrong. Everything else related to plot and characters has been inconsistent in quality. The actor who plays Dewey has been terrific at staying in character, and the writing for his role was perfect (and enough to make you cringe).

Raylan's actions with regard to Kendal are difficult for the viewer, but Raylan is a hard man. That is evident with how he treated Ava too. That is the bottom line with this show. He has few soft spots (Loretta) when dealing with the criminal world. Is it because he grew to hate his criminal father so much that he is obsessed with making sure no criminal gets away with crimes?
Flag
"The anus is on you."

Great episode! I'll probably watch it again a little later. Loved all these great characters all getting screen time and doing shit.

Poor Wendy -- I know most of the anus and blame is on her, but still, she's become an absolute ball of turd now, especially compared to the kind of character we saw at the beginning of the season.

I agree that Ava finally had a moment or two of good scenes, but of course, the good moments were with Raylan and none were with her prison plot... although, yes, the latter was needed to impact the former.
Flag
It seemed at the beginning of the season Wendy was a stronger character. Why is she so weak now? Just because her brother beat the crap out if her? I don't get it. Sure she can be scared of him but now she's admitted mother she has become very fragile. Where is her fire? I'm really hoping it comes back in time.....
Flag
She's always been weak, she does her brother's bidding since we first met her. She talks a big game when she's using her legalese to try to get one over on people, but when she loses that card, she's just another mess like the rest. Hell, we were lucky Darryl didn't end up admitting that Kendal is both his nephew and his brother and his son in this episode, I could have sworn they were going to have Wendy played even worse.
Flag
I'm with Raylan just because I think that kid's character arc has shown he will be the same blight on society that the rest of his family is. It's like the Kentucky equivalent of going back in time and shooting Hitler. So it's a win for society either way this plays out,
Flag
Kendal is essentially where Raylan might have been at that age under Arlo, that's why Raylan tried to help the kid out, he could see the kid was at that fork in the road.
Flag
Some more favourite Walter Goggins quotes

'i look good wearing a lot of things, but a wire ain't one of them'

'Well how the hell am i gonna do that? Hey Darryl, you ever shoot someone, then get someone else to take the fall for it, if so would you tell me about it at length?'

haha very enjoyable
Flag
No chance of Kendall doing 40 years. Its a bluff D.A.s have been using for ages.
Flag
I believe it is actually 30 years in real life.
Flag
what, the penalty? could be for all I know.
Flag
I say this every week....Daryl Crowe is a POS and Wendy needs to step up! I'm not sure but does she really think Kendall shot Art? I really can't believe Boyd didn't help Ava out. Sure they broke up but I thought he loved her and still would try and help her. Anyway another solid episode. I guess Raylan is really playing all the cards here....crossing my finger it works out.
Flag
Tim, I don't know what glasses you are watching Justified with, but please take them off. This is not Sheriff Andy Griffith walking down the path with Opie at his side. This is Raylan Givens. The man who shoots everyone all the time, basically arranged the murder of Nicky Augustine, and who Boyd once famously said to him:

So what kind of happy ending are you possibly hoping is going to happen? Raylan is a criminal and an asshole. It's his job to be. Much like Batman once stated: "Of course we're criminals. We have to be criminals," to catch criminals. Which means Kendall, Wendy, and even Ava (did you see her face when she realized she had no trump card to play for freedom? That made the whole stupid prison storyline worth it) just pawns on a chessboard. To use until he gets the bad guy he wants.

Also, you left out one of the best quotes of the night:

Rachel: "That is a silver tongue."
Tim: "I know I got a boner."

We need more of those two in the future!

More+
Flag
Graham Yost says they are going to use those two a lot next season.
Flag
I sure do hope so. I got a boner just from thinking of those two with much bigger roles.
Flag
I feel bad for Boyd's baby-faced henchman. Those tears show that this was his character's goodbye and likely he'll be skinless next time we see him.
Flag
Don't feel bad, because now he has all the time in the world to play that other character on Star-Crossed. Oh, wait. Maybe you SHOULD feel bad. lol
Flag
I don't think he was using the adult charge on Kendal to get Darryl to come clean, I think he was using it to dry up the last safe refuge Darryl has, his sister. She can not only tell them about some of the details of the things he had done, but she can admit he was the one who gave her instructions to go pick up the bag that was in that refrigerator, which gets a conspiracy conviction. And possibly her help in getting Kendal to turn on his uncle, and I for one still believe Darryl did the shooting with Kendal there, so he would have enough details to help.
I think it was important that Rachel and Tim find out about his being there the night Nicky was killed. That is probably going to be what finally gets Raylan out of the Marshall's service. At least in Harlan, so next year they will need to know about it. So having it come from Boyd makes it one less reason Raylan has for not dropping Boyd down the mineshaft he belongs in.
I didn't mind the Ava in prison story as much as some viewers, because I thought it was keeping Boyd strung too tight. Apparently he though that cord snapped, because he was willing to just leave Harlan, with some help from the idea that the Mexican cartel wants him skinned, presumably alive. But if she gets killed next week, I am sure he will go crazy.
More+
Flag
I also agree; Raylan wasn't hoping to turn Darryl. No way Darryl's gonna 'fess up just 'cause Kendall's facing life. That's not even 50-50. But Wendy is definitely vulnerable.
On the other hand, if neither one steps up, or If Kendall actually DID it, then trying him as an adult isn't as awful as Tim S seems to think. The judge couldn't do it if the law didn't allow it, and killing a US Marshall is a pretty serious offense. Juvies routinely get the adult treatment for less.
I'm still a little puzzled how gettin' a jump start on Kendall's inevitable prison stretch somehow makes Raylan a bad father...
Flag
Another point: it isn't Raylan who's gambling with Kendall's life, it's Darryl and Wendy.
Flag
I agree that it is Wendy Crowe that Raylan is expecting to turn on Daryl and somehow get Kendal to do the same.
Flag
Good stuff tonight. It was very much the Justified of old in what's been a generally disappointing season. (Still can't help but wonder how different it would have been if Edi Gathegi had stuck around as planned.) Good dialogue, tension, even some much appreciated humor. The hour flew by, always a sign of quality.

Other good stuff not noted in the notes:

Tim's "boner" line
The old lady's "Here it is, nice and hot!" line
The girl shouting "Worldstar!" while filming Dewey's fight

Flag
Found an article on Nick Searcy. The more I read about him the more I like him.

Flag
Not me like too many conservatives whenever someone tried using logic to refute his ideas , Searcy just turned on him/her n said his house was bigger/nicer/worth more than his opponents.
Not only could he not know whether his assertion was correct, it was the totally irrelevant name-calling typical of his ilk. irrelevancy is all he has -hence all he can do to refute Sean Penn is get all anal about Oscar or do the "he's richer than me" chip on his shoulder thing. Which is kinda interesting since he also pulls the "I'm richer than you schtick" when he can.

Finding out Searcy is a pud-puller certainly makes his absence from Justified a relief.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members