A Justified Community
FX (ended 2015)

Justified S05E05: "Shot All to Hell"

Has there ever been a more appropriate title for an episode of Justified than "Shot All to Hell," tonight's excellent trigger-happy and body-dropping hour? I think my television is still stinking of sulfur and/or freedom from all the rounds fired and blood spilled. Justified is no stranger to excessive violence; "Shot All to Hell" reminded me of the ultra-violent "Outlaw" from last season, one of my favorites. But "Shot All to Hell" was also ultra-twisty, like a Twizzler on a rolly-coaster corkscrew, reaching inside my gullet and pulling out repeated gasps as betrayals and power shifts repeatedly terraformed the landscape of Harlan County. 

Heck, two characters we were just getting comfy with died in the FIRST TWO SCENES of the episode. Paxton was on the wrong end of assisted/forced suicide thanks to Boyd, and Elias Marcos (guest star Alan Tudyk, and I might've gotten his character's name wrong) put holes through that Canadian drug dealer (guest star Will Sasso) right after that. And that would just begin the carnage. Later, Officer Mooney took a bullet before he even had a chance to order lunch at his favorite restaurant, Elias and his huge fucking gun were downed by Raylan, and Danny Crowe blew the Haitian all the way back to Haiti with a cowardly shotgun blast. Hello? That's five characters—not just redshirts—all taken out in one episode, and each one elicited a "WHOA I was not expecting that" that amplified with every murder. Leave it to Justified to kill almost a half-dozen characters thanks to its intricate and populous cast, and still have plenty left to finish off later this season. 

Naturally with all that murderin' going on, some people had better days than others. High on the list of good-day-havers was Art, who, along with Raylan, captured the notorious Theo Tonin after taking out his muscle Elias. And it was suspiciously easy and almost accidental. Would Tonin be that careless to waltz back into Harlan just to have a chance to personally torture a man who ratted on him? Well, he's also the guy who screams into severed ears when he's angry, so yeah, I guess so. We're not dealing with a man who thinks rationally here. Still, pretty anticlimactic for the Kentucky Marshals to nab their most-wanted man because some grunt noticed that blood was leaking out of a crate. But also, it's about time they caught Theo. I'm conflicted here, guys! Maybe there's something bigger coming soon on the Theo front? Or is anyone crazy enough to suggest Theo got himself caught on purpose? Not me. Now Art, with eight months left 'til he's an ex-Marshal, can go out with the biggest bust of his career.

But Raylan's work isn't done, and his past transgression as a witness to the murder of Nicky Augustine came back to bite him in the ass, making his day a mixed bag. Rats in custody have been singing about a member of Kentucky law enforcement helping Sammy eliminate Nicky, and Art has raised more than a few eyebrows in Raylan's direction over the last few episodes. Knowing that his untruths were about to get truthed, Raylan made the decision to come clean, or as clean as he could ("It wasn't Barkley and I can tell you that for a fact," he semi-confessed at the end of the episode), putting Art on the clock. Does he bust Raylan for disgracing the shield and being an accessory to murder, or does he admit that Raylan's actions—while technically against the law and every oath he swore to in order to get a star—got another dirtbag off the street so no harm no foul? Art's the kind of guy who can see things both ways, and revealing that one of his own men was lawless—especially after busting Theo—would tarnish his reputation as he rides off into the sunset to chug Diet 7-Up. Isn't that so Raylan of Raylan? To shit all over Art's sundae? Good luck with your decision, Art. 

But the worst day of all once again belonged to Boyd, who continues to get bent over in Season 5. Justified's writers are straight-up torturing this poor fella. And the way things went down for him in "Shot All to Hell" was particularly cruel. Boyd was on a hot streak after killing Lee Paxton, putting Darryl Crowe Jr. in his place, turning Hot Rod against Cousin Johnny, and setting up the elimination of Officer Mooney. The dominoes came crashing down all over the case against Ava, and Boyd was ready to welcome his sweetheart home after miraculously pulling all the right levers and pulleys to get the case dismissed. Nice work, Boyd! 

Buuuut fate had different ideas, and Ava's cellmate set Ava up by stashing a shiv in her bunk, while the shrimpy guard from last week grabbed the sharpened contraband and stuck himself twice to frame Ava. Now Ava's got a whole new rap against her and a new cell in a mean-girls prison. We never saw who set up the set-up, but I'm guessing it was Mara, Paxton's mistress, who Boyd screwed out of the money he promised her. She wanted to get him back, and she knew that the best way to hurt him was to keep his precious Ava behind bars. Note to self: Russian mail-order brides can be ruthless. (Edit: It has come to my attention that it's also possible that shorty guard guy did this on his own because he was upset about being rejected by Ava and beaten up by that female guard. But did he seem like the guy who would do something stupid like that when he just got beat up by that lady guard? I dunno.)

And that wasn't all! Cousin Johnny cut off Boyd's plan at the pass by buying out Hot Rod's men, and they turned their guns on him. So that whole plan to re-corner the heroin market and get payback on his cousin? Pphhhhhhhhthhhh. And all that shit-talking and gun-pointing at Darryl Jr. probably only made him more upset. Boyd was so close to coming out way, way, way ahead on this one, and in a matter of minutes, he saw everything get way, way, way worse than before. If this doesn't turn Boyd into the raging maniac he's been suppressing for all these seasons, I don't know what will. (So excited!)

POSTCARDS FROM HARLAN COUNTY

– Darryl was hanging up a "Hang in there!" poster with a kitten on it. Darryl just became awesome. 

– Pretty cool to see Alan Tudyk on this show in a role I never thought he could pull off, and he was great. What was up with his eyes? It looked like he was jacked up on something.

– I suppose there are two other possibilities for setting up Ava. It could have been Johnny, but I don't think he would want to do anything to harm Ava. And it could have been Darryl Jr., but does he even know that Ava exists? Maybe Dewey told him? I'm sticking with Mara, because she looked awfully pissed when Boyd told her to get the F out of town without any of the $300,000 he promised her. But where would she get the money and means to set that up?

– "Shot All to Hell" was written by Chris Provenzano, who also penned last season's excellent "Decoy." Every writer on Justified's staff has crazy skills with dialogue, but Provenzano has something a little extra, and he's become my favorite scribe on the staff. He doesn't just go for knockout zingers in character exchanges, he keeps pounding away with back-and-forth body blows as conversations progress. Really, really great stuff that has its own voice while still being so very Justified

– There were a lot of outstanding scenes in the episode, but the standoff in the diner between Art and Elias was my favorite. Tense, unpredictable, and badass. A close second? Boyd and Darryl squaring off in Boyd's bar. Fantastic chatter.

HEARD 'ROUND HARLAN

Boyd: "A small town don't run on a 24-hour news cycle. A small town never forgets."

Wendy: "Does your campaign of harassment against my family know no limits?"
Raylan: "Well I gave the boy 10 cents."

Elias: "I'm in town for the convention."

Wynn: "Does anybody mind if I order?"

Art: "I'm going to give you ten seconds to leave, and then, I'm going to shoot you."
Wynn: "FYI, that's kind of a thing with these Marshals."

Dewey: "All I'm saying is, you do a thing that you never done one day, shit changes. And you change. And things change. And everything's changing."
Whore: "Is this because I stuck my finger up your butt last night?"

Daryl: "Goddamn man that was cool as ice!"
Boyd: "I ain't gonna take your compliment after taking your insult."

Boyd: "And if I say no?"
Darryl: "Funny, I never even considered you'd say no."
Boyd: "Well, you dumbass, you might want to consider it."
Darryl: "So we're clear, you are saying no?"
Boyd: "I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them."

Hot Rod: "You want me to move from the low-risk, high-reward weed business, into the high-risk, high-mortality trade of black tar?"

Art: "I'm gonna have a Diet 7-Up."
Picker: "I'll have one too, princess."
Art: "You can suck the can when I'm done."

Hot Rod: "Well shit."

Raylan: "Not literally, like osmosis."
FBI guy: "Oh boy, start throwing around the big words, that's my cue to go."
Raylan: "Go look it up, you mean?"
FBI: "Raylan, you're a dick."

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/14/2015

Season 6 : Episode 13

90 Comments
Comments (90)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
If we are correcting people then his title is actually A.U.S.A Vasquez :) Also for the person that asked earlier...Alan Tudyk was credited as Wray Nerely because hes in the middle of some meta documentary thing
Flag
Don't know if anyone else has pointed this out yet, but for that last quote, he's an Assistant District Attorney (ADA) not a FBI guy
Flag
I was gonna say that, but then I remembered only dicks go around correcting people. Unfortunately it comes natural to me. Careful with that...
Flag
I don't consider it dickish to help someone out on correcting misinformation when you don't do it with ill will. Its not expected that someone can remember every detail from a show for 4 years. I'm sure Tim knows its only looking out and not to just be an ahole about it
Flag
I wasnt trying to call you a dick. Just saying thats how people often take it when someone corrects them, because a lot of the time they already have recognized their mistake by the time we correct them.
Flag
In 8 months Art will turn 57, that is the mandatory retirement age for most federal law enforcement. There are some exceptions, Border Patrol and Air Marshals mandatory retirement age is 60. Secret Service agents hired before 1984, is a whole other story.
Flag
Staff
Did I miss something? Why Is Art retiring? In 8 months no less?
Flag
How much longer can the show survive without Constable Bob and his go bag ??
Flag
Good show and good review. I still think there are too many plotlines this year, though killing off a number of people in this episode seems to have reduced them already. That will be for the best.

My personal reaction to the shows are several. I actually feel sorry for Dewey because his happy little world has been turned upside down (though I don't enjoy his scenes with the whores and the bit about the finger last night was not needed). I am so worried about Kendal. I don't like shows with kids in bad situations, so this is going to bother me all season. Danny Crowe is pure evil. Daryl is nothing compared to Danny. I am not going to like this character, and I wouldn't mind him being killed off soon. I was glad to see Raylan take some responsibility for himself with his sort of confession to Art.

Looking forward to next week, though I sort of dread more of the Crowes.

Flag
"Pretty cool to see Alan Tudyk on this show in a role I never thought he could pull off, and he was great."

HA! Clearly you missed his arc on "Dollhouse". Similarly menacing and cray-cray, and eight kinds of AWESOME.
Flag
That's what I was gonna comment on. Tudyk was a great psycho on Dollhouse.
Flag

"Decoy" was my favorite episode from last season, and surprise surprise, this episode is looking to be one of the best of the season. Boyd's remark, "I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them." was fantastic. This season things have not been going well for Boyd and while I feel bad for the guy, I'm also enjoying watching the downward spiral.

No Tim this week, sadly. Couldn't he have just had a drink to celebrate with Art and the guys and gotten in a few zingers?
Flag
Upon further review - Loose Ends

I get my Justified on iTunes. I have watched E5" three times. Boyd is looking emotionally detached when "celebrating" the good news of Ava upon them embracing.. After she says what she wants and heads back to her jail cell- Boyd simply stares her down. If you can, watch it for yourselves.

In Boyd's world - with what is on his plate - Ava is a loose cannon (to wit blaming her for getting herself into trouble) and knowing she knows his crimes, like no other.

Hence he knows that his stunt - fighting with the guards, while crying crocodiles tears - distances himself from a plot to keep Ava incarcerated.

Again Boyd's only true love is Boyd. He first loved being a Neo-Nazi. Then he loved Jesus. Then he loved Ava. Like Johnny Crowder says " he started to build a tree house and then he would leave it unfinished and go on to the next thing".

He has had time to re-access his need for Ava, while she has been locked up. There is no chemistry left. He not only doesn't love Ava; but she is a loose-end. A loose-end, this time, who has "committed" a crime where its not some civilians testifying; but the soldier prison guard. Moving her from Harlan to the state pen - the latter of which she faces serious "shoe time" and becomes no threat to Boyd.
More+
Flag
Justified has gotten is pacing back and is starting to look like its old handsome self. It still needs more Tim & Rachel, but the show isn't lacking because of it. I'll watch anything with Alicia Witt. Now thats some sweet meet right there. Good to see Art hit the highlight of his career, but I kind of felt sorry for Rodney. That poor Haitian shouldve been listening when he was talking. What is it with this C. O. that he just up and decides to have a problem with Ava? I guess thats their way of keeping her story interesting.
Flag
Best show on television. The writers and actors out did themselves this episode. Hollywood aside, the USAS-12 shotgun the hitman used when confronting Rayland and Art in that warehouse made sense. He was firing 12 gauge shotgun slugs, considering all those metal containers Elias had the advantage (penetration). He could shoot through the containers which would make it difficult for Art and Rayland to find cover. That's how Theo was wounded. For the record, Rick Gomez plays Assistant United States Attorney David Vasquez (Not an FBI agent). He would be assigned to the Lexington U.S. Attorney's Office, in the Eastern Judicial District of Kentucky, prosecuting violations of federal law. An assistant district attorney (ADA) would for the most part be working with local law enforcement prosecuting local crimes in that county.
Flag
Again a great episode, this time with a a fantastic guest appearance of Alan Tudyk. The shoot-out with Raylan and Art was a little hard to swallow for Tudyk's hitman used the same crappy full auto shotgun one of the nazi guys used in Breaking Bad's "Ozymandias". How can anyone miss with that?
Anyhow it's sad to see the Haitian "go" so early, really liked him but now there is no reason to doubt the grade of shitty insanity ravaging inside Danny's head. I guess Darryl will be pissed to say the least.
Ava is pretty much fucked right now and I still have a hard time believing it was all due to the little turd remotely resembling a prison guard. But I don't see Johnny or Paxton's wife/mistress having the knowledge and means to pull off something like that.
Let's talk about ART: he was this episode's center and I can't help myself worrying about him. I can't see him ride into sunset happily retired. I just can't and I don't wanna see him die a senseless, violent death either. Save him, Raylan!
Flag
Art not only has the world's biggest pair of brass ones, he knows when to use them appropriately.

And just a thing - I watched the opening credits three times and never saw Alan Tudyk's name. Did he do the show uncredited?
Flag
- The great hat Haitian showed natural strength. More acting than writing IMO. More so than Darryl. Sure wish his contract matter had been fixed.
I can see Hat taking over when Darryl takes his likely dirt nap and begins building his own operation well into next season.

- am I alone in thinking Boyd showed indifference to Ava in about all his prison visits? Always looking over her shoulder appearing bored. I was a surprised at his over the top rage when he came back to jail. Not sure where I'm going with that but I knew Ava was not leaving that jail as soon as her lawyer explained it.
- I think the twerp guard was paid, not the instigator.
Regardless - poor Ava. Her suffering has been palpable as this thing moved along.
Flag
Paintcan,

You are not alone. Up until the last episode he went from not being close, to blaming her lot on her errors. Who was responsible for Ava's protection. I believe it was Boyd's. Who was responsible for her protection being taken away? Could it have been Boyd and his interaction at the prison a ruse? In even the longest Justified to date; scenes just don't happen. How did Boyd get all the way into the cell block? He should never have been let in considering a) there is a visiting room and b) she left for the state pen.

I think this gets at - sorry again to hammer on this - the rest of the episodes of Justified revealing just who Raylan and Boyd are. Boyd has said Raylan is really a criminal that gets to kill people behind a badge. Raylan asks Boyd, do you love Ava like you loved the lord and Arlo?

Would anyone be surprised if Ava is expendable to Boyd? No. Boyd's love of his life is Boyd. We can reasonably connect the dots that he is the one that gave the order to set in motion Ava going to the state's pen.

As to the why? I don't know. And I am sure the writers don't want us to know. But Boyd is always three moves ahead in the chess game of Harlan. So it will be left to be revealed.
More +
Flag
The Hatian getting killed so abruptly character-development-wise was strange. One possible twist I could imagine: we've seen this character and Darryl together quite a bit and neither of them has shown any interest in any female characters - even hanging out in a bordello - maybe the next plot development is that Darryl goes bat-shit crazy over the murder of... his lover? Otherwise, It seems like it's just an awkwardness stemming from the group writing, episode to episode story development with a constantly changing team - that would be too bad. And the hit man with a clear 100% jump on his targets who can't even wing one? How in the holy hell does that make sense? I mean, really, couldn't they have just staged that scene a little more plausibly? Sight angles so that he has a clear bead on Art, but Raylan is out of his sight line, spots him and stops him, or something? It just looked completely stupid -- right down to the other guy bleeding enough from a seat in the middle of a container to let a clue leak out the door. There's got to be a story about having to write and shot that scene with a B-team on some weekend, long after production was supposed to be wrapped. It just didn't work on any level. Ah well -- still more than enough about the show to like and keep me coming back --but for such a tightly wrapped story, they really need to watch these sorts of glaring loose ends...
More+
Flag
That was strange with the haitian. I think he was probably more fleshed out and purposeful in the books. Or he didnt even exist at all and they just used him to make his killer look like an ass. I think that smartmouthed kid might end up 'puttin it on him'. the guy who killed the hatian that is. FX must be throwin all kinds of money at justified with the expanded cast. I like what they done with it too w/ Wood Harris, Alicia Witt and that blonde girl. I kinda hate that Johnny's still around though. I hope this aint Art's last season. He's one of the best characters. He seemed to suggest Rachel would take his place. I would love to see more Rachel. A lot more.
Flag
Just reading a discussion of this episode with Graham Yost: turns out the actor who played the Hatian wanted out and wasn't under contract, so this was their way of writing him out. No comment on shitty plausibility of last scene and it looks like the Eva double-cross was all on the weird little guard... OK...
Flag
OK, it worked on the level of Tonin being nabbed in a sort of realistically anti-climactic way -- that seemed nice and "real world", but it's too bad it was in a scene that otherwise required ignoring physics and biology (does a body even have enough blood in it to leak that badly and still be conscious/alive?).
Flag
This is an official request for Boyd's writers to start giving English lessons...
Flag
I liked the switches in the episode, and more Art = better quality, as far as I'm concerned. I'm also fired up for some heavy Boydness coming up. However, a have a bone that's stuck in my throat to pick.

Let me explain it with another show. Eureka was a syfy show about a town of top quirky scientists, inventions and crazy thingies. Now, in one episode, the lead character lost corporeal contact with all physical things - you know, walking through walls etc. However, against all logic, science etc. it worked ONLY to the front and back, while really, he should have fallen through the earth and died in outer space.

So, to get back to Justified, when you have a serious show that throws at us a very serious hitman with obvious intentions and ability to kill, DON'T give that hitman a machine gun and total surprise and then have him MISS both Rayland and Art altogether, OK??

It's called suspension of belief and lazy writing and I'm really hating it in a show that takes itself seriously.

Other than that, great episode.
Flag
The "FBI guy" in the quotes is an A.D.A. that's been in the show since season 1...

As for Theo Tonin, I really want to believe that Adam Arkin wasn't brought back for a 5 second cameo with no lines.
Flag
Google Graham Yost and Shot To Hell. Yost does a three page breakdown of every episode. You will find that Adam Arkin directed the episode (as he has done many times before). He is locked down on another TV show. Yost said that if Arkin was directing the episode, he might as well make a cameo. Thus ending Detroit from Justified going forward.
Flag
Ah, that explains it then. Thanks! I did not know Arkin was a regular in the director's chair.

Still, I am sorry we won't get to witness the insanity of Theo Tonin and his severed ear in the same room as Raylan, Boyd, or even both.

Oh, well, there are more crazy people for Raylan to shoot. :)
Flag
Harris brothers tutorial on affirmative actions references--a "no no" in mixed company; Tim & Rachel share a scene...someone got my complaint from last week; Art the sh*t talker/gunslinger; Boyd on rampage probably next few eppys to come...short guard should take cover; Alligator feeder (Haitian) got blown to pieces, almost literally....think Darryl might be tadbit upset......Great eppy. Oh and Raylan was well Raylan, love this show.
Flag
In the now very likely Crowder stand-off, I am team Boyd.
Flag
Awesome episode, just great, but poor poor Boyd. Will you ever catch a break?
Flag
Something else jumped at me from last night's episode. And fits my theory that the rest of the show will flush out Boyd and Raylan.

Has anyone noticed the looks and the situation (surrounded by petty crime family members and friends) that the youngest Crowe is a proxy for Raylan?

Why cast a kid when you have so many other Crowes that are bad?

The Crowes are not the big bad of the season. The older Crowes simply serve their purpose by acting like Arlo and Bo. They are there, only to show, what Raylan went through as a child.
Flag
This episode was all kinds of awesome, and this leaves me in an uncomfortable place. Last week I said: "Hey, forgive me for saying this, but this kinda sucked. I'm not buying the whole Crowe bad guy business." This week, Darryl has a surprisingly great scene with Boyd, Danny goes all Gary Oldman on the Haitian and Dewey is great as always.
Now where does this leave me? I guess it tells me that I'd very much like the Crowes to play a supporting role in the Harlan County story, I just don't want them to be "The Big Bad" because, as competent Justified's writers are, I don't believe they can turn them into a compelling one in the 8 (?) episodes they have left. Then again, I love to be proven wrong.

Now, regarding the rest, that is, the actual main plot, please fill in your standard praise, then raise it to the power of Art.
This episode was all about Art. In fact, this was so much about Art it makes me afraid for his life. You know, other characters stating this would be a great cap to his career, nudge nudge, hint hint. Therefore, let's please give a shout-out to Nick Searchy. His performance was incredibly nuanced, especially when on screen with Olyphant.

I will start preparing a list of Art quotes reserved for this space for when he is killed with Raylan being responsible in part, resulting in the latter having to reevaluate his justifiedness. Please, don't stop Art being afoot.

"You crafty little turd" - line of the night.
More+
Flag
Poor Dewey the strain on his face trying to be all existential.
So that was a high body count. Pity about the Haitian, I liked him. I think it is interesting for the show to do that though. It shows what a turd Danny is, and I'm sure it will cause some big problems down the line. Having a hot headed idiot snake like Danny around will definitely ruin any plans Daryll might have of building a Kentucky empire. Speaking of Daryll, I really do not get all the hate for Rapport. I didn't hate him pre Justified, it seems like people had their minds made up on him when he was announced for the role.
I had pegged Johnny for setting up Ava. The female guard protected her last week, was that only so she could be brought down at the right time? Johnny would have the most to gain from getting inside Boyd's head, and he would know where it will hurt Boyd the most. I think Johnny may like Ava but this seems to be Johnny 2.0, pulling some clever moves of his own. Or it was the guard wanting pay back, he seems that rotten. I'd be extremely surprised if it was the Russian.
The scene with Art in the café was great. I couldn't believe it when Tudyk walked in with his don't give a sh*t attitude, and Art going 'Givens' on him. I loved all the never saw that coming moments. As I said above I liked the Haitian character but I'd rather have a plot that keeps my on my toes with plot twists and turns. In the writers of Justified I trust.
More+
Flag
Fuck This show is great!
Flag
Gobsmacked!
Was looking forward to seeing more of the Haitian.
Very anticlimactic demise of Theo Tonin, but there's obviously a reason for that, and I'm excited to see what.
God damn I hate that creepy little prison guard!!
Flag
Omg, after a slow season start, this episode kept me on the edge of my seat like Justified should. The writers have thrown gasoline on the fire, leaving the rest of the season open for any possibility... My heart is still beating fast...
Flag
The most surprising part of this episode, for me, was the Haitian getting killed. I mean, after having verbally spanked Danny Crowe, I figured the Haitian was a badass that was going to cause Raylan some serious problems in future episodes... then BLAMMO! My jaw dropped when Danny launched him across the room with that shotgun blast. I guess crazy trumps methodical...
Flag
Ok I am going to come out and say it. Alan Tudyk should have been cast as Daryl over Rapaport. Alan Tudyk was 100x better in his role in that episode then the whole of Rapaport's performances pretty much ever. Why? Because that isn't a role I would expect from Tudyk and he knocked it out of the park.

Speaking of the giant suck of talent. Goggins versus Rapaport in the bar was as bad as I thought it would be. I mean, you hear the hardest things for actors to work with is children and animals, I think Goggins would have to add rapport to that list. Because it was brutal how outmatched Rapaport was in that scene. Brutal. Boyd should have continued his badassdom and shot him so we all don't have to deal with it anymore. The sister is there, she is clearly the brains and she can actually pull off a souther accent.

They killed off a lot of people last night. It was pretty good. The Deputy and Paxton really deserved to die but I fear because of that we are going to have to get more Daryl and Boyd and Raylan which is really sad because that is the weakest plot of the whole season.

The killing of the Haitian was horrible. Up until Tudyk came around he was the best bad guy that they had. And they had Danny do it. I really can't wait until Raylan puts a couple of bullets in him. And Daryl, because Daryl should have been dead pretty much the first episode.

Raylan and Art was a pretty good scenario. I figured Art would have to confront Raylan about it was going to be a thing. But then Raylan just offered it up. That was pretty unexpected. I still have to wonder what Art is going to do about all of that.

Great episode aside from Daryl.

More+
Flag
Heh. If you didn't expect something like that from Tudyk, you need to check out his complete body of work. He's done psycho before and he is fricking scary at it.

Although it does amaze me that a strawberry-blonde guy who could get sunburned at midnight has been cast more than once as a Latino.
Flag
Danny is just as bad as Daryl. Actually, I hate Danny more than Daryl. The main reason Daryl sucks is because of the actor. With Danny though, there is almost no character there, just a pissed off hillbilly who kills you if you make fun of him. He's a second rate Coover Bennett, not even that. I still think the sister has potential, but the Crowes are pretty horrible. What have they done besides kill their own people? But hey, at least we still have the Harris brothers who are working with Johnny Crowder. That is until Danny kills them so the writers can force it down on throats that Danny is a dangerous guy that can't be stopped. Fuck that.
Flag
I agree with everything you said. I have to wonder how they are going to set everything up for next season. This whole thing with Raylan and the shooting in Detroit seems like it is going to go somewhere. I wonder if that is the case or if it is just going to end with Art. It makes me wonder if this will be the last draw for Art in dealing with Raylan. I mean he already had a good idea that Raylan had something to do with the money that Winona stole. And then you add everything and I wonder if Raylan is going to be a Marshall next season.
Flag
Hate to rain on a parade. But I only watch a few shows. I have never seen Rapaport's past work. He is two things: different than any other antagonist on Justified. And 2? See my comments below.
Flag
Great episode the season can really take off now! I think Johnny had Ava framed and he's gonna give her an ultimatum either come with me or do the time. Johnny seems to be the crime lord with money now. What a crew the former Avon Barksdale, can't beat that.
Flag
Best episode so far and one of the best of the entire series. It is not the body count but the different groups trying to outmaneuver each other that was so fun to watch.

Alan Tudyk did a fantastic job and I never expected him to play a hitman so well. His stand-off with Art was really great scene. So was the scene between Boyd and Daryl.

It was great to see the sister again but I was so bump that the Haitian was killed. I liked him and totally did not see that coming.

And I am loving Boyd this season much more than in previous ones just because he is really busy trying to solve one problem after another. He did it with such smooth skills by the way. I was strangely rooting for him to get a break soon.
Flag
LOVED the episode.

But the one complaint is that I wont be seeing more of the Haitian and Alan Tudyk's character. I liked both of them quite a lot in their limited times on screen... certainly more than Danny. I'd have loved to have seen them die a lot later on in the season, hehe. I don't mind Ava getting sent off to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison (different for women?) just because as I've said before, I haven't liked her as much since she became a madam.
Flag
Great episode, no real complaints this week. This is the Justified I know and love.
Flag
Great episode!! The writing is fantastic on this show.
Flag
Title: Culling the herd. Last night's show was great. Part of what made it great was dispensing with so many characters that have diminished S5 up until last night.

I wrote here last week - saying that the Canadian only mentioned "it was a federal on the tarmac" - and Barkley would be the plot device to keep Raylan's innocence. Do you know what makes Justifed so good when it is firing on all cylinders? The writers knowing that Barkley was what some mortal me, would think of. After Raylan leaves Art's office I thought "nailed that". After Raylan comes back into Art's office it was "you son of a guns".

I think I am starting to get a drift of what has happened in S5. No big-bad. No Drew. No Detroit. Its all being peeled away - and the guests are simply there to reflect the actions of Boyd and Raylan.

Meaning that E5 of S5 is the start of a path - 21 episodes - ultimately having nothing to do with plot. And I see this in a good vein.

The central question and the ending answer of Justified, is who are the real Raylan and Boyd. Will they both be destroyed? Or will one become the just and one become the un-just?

I am sure, and it has been mentioned in episodes in all five seasons, at some point both must be exposed to the naked level. I said the first four episodes of this year seemed to be about the show being a caricature of itself.

Now? The remainder of the show is, ironically is about, stripping away Raylan and Boyd as caricatures. Exposing them for who they really are. And how and where they will likely meet their fate.

That's what I think last night's episode was about. I am very excited if I am right. And will treasure the next 21 episodes.
More+
Flag
Just when you think Art has dealt with Alan Tudyk's character outside the diner, he just walks in bold as brass, sits the waitress down and is ready to instigate chaos.

Seriously love these hard boiled characters in a hard part of the country, to paraphrase Jim Kelly from Enter the Dragon "Man, you straight out of a comic book!"
Flag
Great TV but... wasn't the little dweeby prison guard working at the OTHER prison? Does he have two jobs being a dick or did I miss something?
Flag
What other prison? Ava was only in one prison, she got transferred after 'she' attacked the guard.
Flag
As far as I know, Ava was there the whole time. She was only moved to state penitentiary after the dweeby prison guard framed her.
Flag
Just watched the episode...now I need to change my pants. Perhaps one of the best hours of tv of all time.
Flag
Anyone else think the purpose of the young Crowder brother is to fill the void left by Loretta?

They're about the same age and have very similar mannerisms and dialog.
Flag
I don't know about that, but I'd lay money on the kid killing at least one person - probably one related to him - before end of season.
Flag
Really? You don't see any similarites between that kid and Loretta?
Flag
I was caught speechless a half dozen times during the episode. So many characters gone!
I thought the Haitian was going to be a major player, nope.
The Canadian won't be back.
I thought Boyd would be tussling with Paxton at least a couple more episodes, nope.
Never saw Theo coming, let alone going. I thought he was going to be the big story for the final season.
And Cousin Johnny is a major player again!
The writing, dialogue and all around refusal to dumb done the story in a show where the main character is the fastest draw in Kentucky is the main reason I love this show. But the fact that I can never seem to guess where they are going with it by the midway point is the other. Hell, if the short story it was based on was written half as well, it would still be on the best sellers list.
And to that point, I was thinking that Raylan finding the boy up in the whorehouse would be the next big thing he did. But no, he ends the episode with some kind of confession that will have me looking for sneak peaks for a week!!
How has this show not won an Emmy?????? Why, the same reason Shameless hasn't. because the voters don't watch TV, they just vote for the names they already recognize, and when they start recognizing the names from People and US magazine, they start nominating them.

More+
Flag
an incredible episode indeed.

it's funny that I tend to feel like capable actors make some of the best SNL hosts and now comedic actors making some of the best justified bad guy / serious role guest stars. I thoroughly enjoyed sasso and dave foley.

I kind of wish darryl died instead of the haitian but at least his death wasn't entirely in vane as that was a solid scene.
Flag
stupid me. I enjoyed tudyk as well of course.
Flag
BTW, you left out the one of the best Boyd lines:

"Just relax Mooney. Everybody knows what kind of man you really are. That didn't stop LBJ from getting elected."

Brilliant!
Flag
Russian mail-order brides may be ruthless, but that's why your theory holds no water. Because how can a foreigner (no less a woman with NO connection to Kentucky outside a B.S. marriage) carve out the necessary under-the-table contacts to set up someone in prison? Someone from Harlan county would likely have known a cousin or friend or ex in-law who worked there. All Mara knew was how to spend Paxton's money.

R.I.P: The Haitian. He was always quiet, so I was hoping for the moment when he'd go bat-shit crazy. Instead he's just shot. What a waste.
Flag
I really enjoyed the carnage in this episode, but it's still missing something. I was disappointed to see Ava get sent somewhere worse, as I was really hoping she would get out. I was also disappointed to see the Haitian go out so quickly. He was far more interesting than Daryl and Danny. The Crowe family really just seems like a second rate Bennett family. Daryl hasn't done anything, and Danny's just crazy with nothing else. Seriously, besides kill their own, which is ridiculous, what the fuck have they done? Dewey's character progression is a good one however, and there may be potential with the sister and the kid.

The MVP of this episode was Art. I was wondering when he was going to do something this season, and he was fan-fucking-tastic tonight. The Diner scene confrontation was the best scene on the episode, especially with Duffy's added dialogue. I really enjoyed Alan Tudyk, but like the Haitian, I'm disappointed that that was all we got from him. I'm very curious to find out what Raylan is going to tell Art about the Augustine murder. It's really going to put these two at fantastic odds.

Then there's Boyd. The positives was that he finally got rid of Paxton and Mooney, two characters whose deaths were a long time coming. Everything else, including these deaths to a point, backfired on him. His love isn't getting out of jail due to suspicious circumstances, he's going to have the Crowe family on his back, and he's going to have to do battle with the last of his kin. Will Boyd finally kill Johnny? I'm surprised Johnny has lasted this long, and even though his character can be rather pathetic if you know what I mean, I've always kind of liked him. I can't really complain when he has Avon Barksdale on his side. Still, how the hell is Boyd going to handle all this?

The Crowe family (Daryl and Danny are really the ones I'm referring to) are kind of dragging it down, but it was still a really good episode. It set some interesting things in motion, while inducing a whole lot of carnage.
More+
Flag
Good point on the Crowes, if you compare them to the Bennetts at the same point of their season then the Bennetts crush it.
Flag
Bring back Mags !
Flag
This show is just so good. I'm going to miss Alan Tudyk and the Haitian though. I was thinking about halfway through the episode that things were turning out WAY too good for Boyd. This turn with Johnny really excites me though, mostly because I want more of the Harris brothers.

You can tell this show is at the apex of television when they can make Michael Rappaport not suck. So far this season we've gotten Rappoport, Wood Harris, Steve Harris, Alan Tudyk, Alicia Witt, Amy Smart, Xander Berkeley, Dave Foley, Will Sasso. There has to be a line out the door of actors trying to get cast on this show.
Flag
God I this show. I got the idea it was the guard who set up Ava, because the cell mate said she was sorry she wasn't getting out anytime soon. So shorty could have done something to her. I do know Boyd is going to go on an even bigger killing spree.
Flag
Agreed. My only question was: wouldn't the most basic investigation with fingerprints prove Ava never held the shank? And anything beyond, like CSI level, would prove the wounds on Short-Eyes was self-inflicted, and not an attack by a crazed prisoner.
Flag
Do they bother putting resources into investigating prison violence? I doubt it, the perp would always say they were set up.
Flag

My jaw is on the floor. I've watched mystery movies that haven't had as many twists and turns as tonight's episode. Boyd was just in full form in all kind of ways!!!!

My only gripe, (and I can't really qualify it as that because I like her) was the shaft that they gave Ava. I really want her to get out of prison, but my initial thought was that they were going to kill her, so at least she's still kicking.Art was a BOSS. I think Raylan went back because of a combination of guilt and believing that Art already knows

Flag
Yeah, I'm leaning towards, he believes Art already knows. Better to be the one to bring it up.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members