A Justified Community
FX (ended 2015)

Justified S05E09: "Wrong Roads"

I feel like hanging one of those "Home Sweet Home" placards on this here episode review, because it sure does feel good to have Justified back in Harlan. Or mostly back in Harlan. At least in the neighboring states. After spending a few episodes down in Mexico, which may have been a few too many, Boyd Crowder returned to the States with his band of merry idiots and all of a sudden Justified felt like Justified again. "Wrong Roads" was the best episode of the season since "Shot All to Hell," and I'm pretty sure it's precisely because most of the action took place in the same zip code instead of requiring an international area code to dial in. 

One of the reasons that Harlan is one of television's most compelling places to visit is that it has a sense of proximity. And I don't just mean the idea that Raylan can scoot on over to Boyd's bar at the first hint of trouble; I'm talking about the very real chance that these two might bump into each other in the produce section of the local market because Harlan feels that small. But that potential was removed in "Raw Deal" and last week's "Whistle Past the Graveyard" while Boyd was in Mexico, and because Boyd took most of the Crowes with him, Raylan was left with little to do. 

"Wrong Roads" brought Boyd back to Harlan, and the move instantly paid off with that incredible scene where Raylan and his temporary partner Miller (guest-star Eric Roberts) walked into Audrey's to see Boyd, Wynn Duffy, Darryl Crowe, Picker, Mike, Jimmy, Jay, and Roscoe all pointing guns or at least nasty verbal threats at each other. Aside from an occasional heated Skype chat, it was the kind of collision between Raylan the lawman and Boyd the crook that can't happen when they're too far apart, and my unofficial poll of Justified fans says that most of us love it when the show manages to compress both characters' awesomeness into the same scene.

And the way they arrived at that point was equally interesting. Having learned that Hot Rod Dunham's men were shot up dead in Mexico, Raylan headed over to Memphis to search for the man or get info on where he was. There, he was partnered up with DEA Agent Miller, who was basically the Ghost of Raylan Future, a man probably 15 years Raylan's senior who exhibited many of the same traits: a rebellious streak, a quick wit, a child he doesn't visit somewhere else in the country, and a cockiness that comes from being such a badass for so many years. The episode didn't play it up, but I suspect Raylan was looking at this guy and thinking to himself, "That could be me." And Miller's life wasn't a bad one: He was good at his job. He was also good at drinking on the job. Basically, Miller's life was the same as Raylan's but with less of a chance to get out, and Raylan has always shown a desire to get out eventually. I don't know if it will happen, but I'd like to see Raylan's experience with Miller steer Raylan away from Miller's future. Go see your kid, Raylan. Start working on your exit strategy. Don't be the guy whose best friends are his C.I.s. 

Raylan eventually found Hot Rod with a bullet in his tummy after Jay and Roscoe began their quest to grab what was available after the mess in Mexico (namely, Johnny Crowder's death) left some very valuable things (namely a lot of heroin and cash) unclaimed. As Jay and Roscoe closed in on Boyd, Raylan and Miller closed in on Jay and Roscoe, bringing us to the aforementioned scene of awesome. And the magnetic charisma of Wood and Steve Harris as Jay and Roscoe moved things right along. They got busted, but if they can get out of jail, those two should be Justified fixtures going forward.

Ava's prison storyline continued to keep us all imprisoned. Girl, get out of jail! Dig a tunnel or something! Even though the writers made some effort to bring Ava's predicament into Justified's main fold, it still felt like part of a different show, and frankly, one that I'd flip the channel on. Ava's stuck in a cycle of needing help and then having to pay for that help, and this time one of the nurses who handled the heroin smuggling made Boyd exact revenge on a man who killed her partner. He did, and even after that, the nurse still requested another favor: She told Ava to kill Judith, the loony inmate preacher lady, or else. It's another task for Ava to complete just to stay alive in jail, and while the stakes are high, the entertainment is not because this arc has transformed Ava—a lady who once shot her husband and her future husband during the same meal—into a passive character. She's currently being bounced around like a pinball by others' demands, and it can't end soon enough. #FreeAva.

POSTCARDS FROM HARLAN COUNTY

– R.I.P. Hot Rod! At least you turned someone into a pencilneck before you croaked. 

– Roscoe's King Lear speech was fantastic.

– The episode ended with Dewey driving through Danny and Miller, with Miller taking the brunt of the damage. But maybe Dewey should've aimed more for Danny, because I would not want to be Dewey with that rabid dog Danny after him. 

– The old man who Boyd had to kill had a gun behind his pillow in an old folks' home. Everyone has a gun in this show. I love it.

HEARD 'ROUND HARLAN

Boyd: "What is it you want, Daryl Crowe Jr.?"
Daryl: "I just want to be part of the goddamn family, Boyd."

Miller: "Not like those glocks and Smith & Wesson nines, they jam so bad you can spread them on your breakfast toast."

Raylan: "I'm on vacation, actually."
Miller: "And you thought you'd come to Memphis and kick the hornet's nest?"
Raylan: "And have some ribs."

Wendy: "Well, how'd it go?"
Daryl: "Smooth as a strippers ass."

Wynn: "Hi this is Wynn Duffy in 236. Can you send up a fresh pot of coffee? *pause* Because this tastes like my ass on Sunday."

Boyd: "I will tell you this, killing an old man in a nursing home ain't on my bucket list."

Bartender at Boyd's: "Goddamn, what the hell kind of place is this?"

Jay: "Meet Roscoe, say hi Roscoe."
Roscoe: "Hi."

Boyd: "Taking into consideration everything that's happened in the last 48 hours, I take it you're here for drugs, or money, or maybe revenge?"
Jay: "Man this dude! Yes! Goddamb I love it. But you can keep the revenge, we'll just take the drugs and the money."

Raylan: "Miller, would you call this a herd, a gaggle, or a flock of assholes?"
Miller: "I'd call this the United Nations of assholes."
Boyd: "Well that's funny, because we were just discussing ratifying some shit."

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/14/2015

Season 6 : Episode 13

66 Comments
Comments (66)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Miller was great, I was disappointed to see him get run over at the end. Miller did the one thing every other TV show gets wrong: he warned an ARMED attacker to lower his weapon and comply within 3 seconds, the attacker tried to distract so as to get the upper hand, and Miller shot him in the 3 seconds as promised. That is how it's done, the police on TV always get ambushed by that stuff (hell, the DEA guy earlier in the episode gets ambushed by that stuff) but in real life it's "you are armed and could use that weapon at any time, put it down or anything else you do will be seen as an act of aggression". Miller felt like the first *real* character this show has churned out all season, and it's Dewey Crowe to take him down in a low-speed collision? Stupid.

Jay and Roscoe's blathering about King Lear made no sense at all, this felt like the writers trying to be clever and coming up very, very short. Please explain how it was fantastic.

Holy shit, I only sat through the prison scenes because they finally intersected the larger storyline, and they are like pulling teeth, they are just awful.
More+
Flag
Yes, this was the best episode of this season. Unfortunately the bar has been set so low that it's difficult to really judge. This was once the best series on television and now it doesn't make the top 50, and I'm being kind. I'd venture to say that there are a daytime Soaps that have been better thought out then this season of Justified. The acting is still very good but whoever is making the decisions on the story arc needs to enter drug rehab. The only way this can all be saved is a Bulletville 2.0, and I'm not joking. There aren't any characters, other than Raylan, that I really like anymore. Even Chief Mullen is a pain in the ass. Lots of people here that need a permanent visit to Hell. I'm wondering if this is the plan to keep us from being disgruntled that next season is the last. Whatever they do next season will be looked at as a series triumph by being compared to this season.
Flag
Art ain't the asshole here. That's what that last scene between him and Raylan was about. The latter is.
Flag
I do hope Millar isnt dead. I thought he was awesome from his first scene. In fact, when Justified finishes after next season, hows about a buddy cop show 'Raylan and Millar'. Has a ring to it!
Flag
There has not been enough Raylan in this season and definitely not enough Raylan and Boyd together... the two of them in a scene is just perfection. I think I'd watch a show that just consisted of those two in a room sniping at each other. I agree that spreading both the cast and the geography has been a mistake, hopefully an experiment they won't repeat for our last season and I also agree ( twice is a new record :) ) that the Ava storyline is a disaster.

Ava was a strong and interesting character to begin with, good chemistry with both Raylan and Boyd... although she did get harder to like when she started playing Queen of the county.. but without anyone to have chemistry with she is just boring. She is now just a victim of everyone else's whims and while previously Boyd ( or even Raylan) would have been rushing to help out he appears to have forgotten about her this time, which is totally against character. Why has he not gone after the gaurd that set her up, why has he not threatened people at the new prison..the staff are obviously able to be bribed bit nope nothing. ..he went and killed that man for the nurse without getting any assurances or twisting it to his benefit.. the writers seem happy to ignore Boyd's usual character so they can leave Ava and us in prison misery.
More+
Flag
Great episode with a strong ending - Dewey's scream is still ringing my ears, lol.
Miller was a tough sob who can count for sure and I would have really liked to see him teaching Danny a lesson with his 21 feet rule...
The marvelous brothers are gone also, Roscoe is dead and Jay locked up, Hot Rod is dead and although the Crowes think(or at least Daryl) that they are indispensable they are so fucking annoying that Boyd will kill the bunch with the first opportunity given - regardless the negative consequences in business. It's not like he really needs them, right?
What's really dragging this season down is all the time spent with Ava in prison - maybe next week we have some kind of ... consequences for her because til now it's all just talk basically.
Flag
I too weary of Ava on the cross. Bring back that mother loving,self sufficient , and terrifying with the recipe - Mags ! And Mag's did it fully clothed.
Flag
Okay. So after Dewey so rudely interrupted Danny and Miller's impending showdown, can we all agree that Raylan is going to be the one to take Danny, and his ridiculous obsession with the 21 Foot Rule, out? I mean, it's pretty much been set up that THAT (Raylan with a gun, Danny with a knife, and both in close proximity to each other) is how it's going to go down. Right?
Flag
A herd, a gaggle, or a flock of assholes...the wit on this show tho'
Flag
Jay and Roscoe are a very good example of what one wants in an "adversary"; the Crowes could learn some pointers from them.....or the Crowes can just go away. Boyd was back in form as he should be and I think I finally got the Ava in prison thing. Methinks Boyd's going to be quite resentful of ole Ava when she gets out of prison for putting him under someone's thumb. What great casting getting Eric Roberts to play Miller, hope he's not dead....kind of liked that guy. Dewey's done gone crazy.
Flag
The whole scene inside Audrey's was fantastic and my favourite part of the episode. Raylan and Boyd in the same room is always great, but if there's also Win Duffy and some thug suddenly quoting King Lear, were're at a whole new level of awesome.

Ava's prison time was a snoozefest, as always. End the agony already, please. I don't even care anymore if she lives, dies or just gets locked away forever, as long as I don't have to see the inside of that prison with Ava in it anymore.

It's really sad. At the beginning of the season, I hated the news that there's only going to be one more season. Now I'm kind of glad that they know their limits... I hope season 6 will be a worthy send off...

Flag
Boyd not sending some evil hunter after the short storm trooper is still puzzling and annoying me. And now the nurse who he and Ava are letting push them about. In the good ol days he would've got another Mr Evil to find out about her and 'persuade' her of the righteous path. I guess he's even more busy than before. C'mon Boyd. kill them Crowes already.
Why do people insist on staying standing in front of vehicles they're shooting at the driver of? It's not like the thing is gonna just stop.
Could of done with more of the Bro's Harris. In particular Jay, what with his, "...May be you two should keep doing your constabulating..."! Brilliant stuff. Although pilfered from The Wire, I think, good to hear it's floating about still.
Question, for me, is who's going to finally get to kill Danny Crowe. His use by date has well expired.
Justified remains one of my favourites but this season has confusingly either stymied itself or leapt around. It's as if half the cast has been off doing other things and has had writing to cover it.
Flag
My prediction is that Danny is finally going to get to test his 21ft. rule against Raylan and then die surprised when he doesn't make it more than 5ft.
Flag
This was a better episode than the last ones have been. Still, Daryl's rationale in all of this is at the very least, intruiguing.

So Boyd trusts him, does a deal with him and they all go get their heroine. Daryl could see this as an opportunity to befried Boyd for good, but instead decides to hijack the whole thing, killing people, making the transportation harder, and putting Boyd on the backfoot again. His intention? That Boyd lets him in. Dude...
Flag
Art not forgiving Raylan was a nice touch - its understandable from his point of view.
But I do think he is going to forgive him, but making him sweat is nice
Flag

After last week not so good episode, this one is way better. I liked it quite a bit and the funny dialogue are back.

I almost thought Boyd found his conscience and let the old guy live.

The United Nations of Asshole bar scene was fantastic.

I really liked it when Boyd as the funny duo to shoot Daryl to get their 10% share, real funny. Then the 2 guys bring into King Lear speech. Ha !

I did not see Eric Roberts Miller guy as future Raylan yet until he shot Roscoe. I was thinking to myself this guy is more bad ass than Raylan. He sure shut everyone up with that shot.

I almost cannot believe Dewey had the guts to ran over Danny and then Miller. Looks like he must now run with all the heroine or seek out Boyd for protection from a very angry Danny !

I liked the last scene with Art and Raylan. They have laid it all out. Both obviously have different views about how to handle the law but Art is leaving so that make things complicated.
Flag
Make it stop.

This was better then the rest of the episodes this season. But the bar has been lowered so much that it wouldn't take a lot to jump over that thing. And that is what this episode was a barely competent shadow of what Justified once was.

This wasn't all that great of an episode,we still had Rapaport trying to act and stay with Goggins and I honestly think his accent is getting worse as the season goes.

And then they added Eric Roberts to the mix. I haven't liked Eric Roberts since he was the worst thing from Best of the Best when I was a little child. He over acts and says dumb things like Glock's jam. And he didn't just shoot Danny. Will some kill this asshole?

Ava's plot is the worst thing this show has ever done. It just makes no sense to do it, none at all. Why? It would have been better to just put her in jail and then bring her back at some point in the season. We didn't see this much of Boyd when he was in jail. That would have been better. At this point I don't care about Ava and I have always enjoyed the character. Have a smack head shank her, beat her to death, I don't care just anything but her in the prison eating away the time from the other crappy plot lines.

I can't even stand Art anymore, man up, transfer Raylan or don't you big whiner. Just stop whining like an incontinent poodle. My goodness man you are a Marshal for crying out loud. I can only imagine how much he whines about this to his wife. She must hate Raylan just as much as Art right now because I imagine this is a major topic of conversation.

Hopefully the last few episodes of the season will save it but I just don't think short of Boyd and Raylan teaming up.

I really can't wait until this season is over.

More+
Flag
Thumbs for most of this, but I disagree about Eric Roberts. Also, Glocks jam, they're more reliable than other pistols but they do jam on occasion.
Flag
Roberts was decent in this but he still over acts when it is unnecessary. Also, my G19 made through 2 years in Iraq and over 25k rounds, never jammed once. I am sure some do, for me it was a life saving device so I maintained it probably more so than others, changed the springs, replace the barrel etc. But no common service auto pistol "jam enough to spread on toast " or whatever he said.
Flag
Glocks have a tendency, I've heard, to jam and stovepipe if the shooter's grip is off, trapping the slide, or if they limp-wrist the weapon. Moreso than other pistols, I mean.
Flag
Ah, yes, limp wristing the gun can cause a stovepipe. That does happen.
Flag
Geez South Park has a lot to answer for... far be it from me to play the devil's advocate but I definitely think Roberts rubs some viewers the wrong way.
I hated him in Runaway Train until I realised his character was "meant" to be this annoying, brash character that was a burden for both John Voight's character and the audience to endure.
Afterwards I understood his character's weakness and human frailty elevated the Voight character to something fearsome and resulted in that awesome ending that felt almost mythical.
Flag
I think Eric Roberts did good. I think it' just your bias against Eric Roberts. Best of the Best wasn't that good anyway. I thought the brothers were the best part of the episode. Wouldn't you want to trade Daryl and Danny with Jay and Roscoe as antagonists? Wouldn't fix all the problems, like Ava, but it would have to be some kind of improvement.
Flag
I would trade Kendal and Loretta with Daryl and Danny, I would trade the two of Geo's hitmen from the first season when Raylan went to LA for Daryl and Danny. I would trade a rock and a dried piece of fruit for Daryl and Danny. Jay and Roscoe were great, they should have been there in place of the Crowes. The Crowes are the single worse bad guys that this show has ever conceived. The actors that they recruited for them are some of the worst I have ever seen. And how in the hell did the writers waste the best lines on Jay and Roscoe?

The worst of it all is that both of them are going to die in the most simplest of ways. Raylan is either going to kill both of them, or he is just going to kill Danny, because this whole 21ft rule thing that he has been yapping about all season is going to be tried by Danny and Raylan is going to drill him. Daryl is either going to be killed by Boyd or Raylan. Neither one of them are going to pull of the death well. It isn't going to be the grand gesture that it was with Mags, it isn't going to be the tragic fun that Quarles was when his arm got chopped off. It is just going to be another shooting that should have happened in the first episode.

I think we both have said it this season, that the Crowes in any other season would maybe have been self contained episode, they would have tried something and Raylan would have shot them, easy and done. But no.

More +
Flag
This Ava crap is killing this season, dragging it the depths of mediocrity. If Ava was on her own show about this nonsense prison boredom, would anyone watch it?

It' also been rough to see Boyd's plans fall apart at every turn. Boyd isn't the hero of this show; I don't need to see him struggle with hardships. I so much rather enjoyed seeing him be in complete control of situations, even when he wasn't. That's why that one scene with all the criminals gathered together was probably the best of the season. Boyd got to step back into the role he was born to fill.

If you plotted out the trajectory that this story has taken this season, would any of it make much sense? It's just been all over the goddamn place.
Flag
Yeh Boyd may be a bad guy on the show, and often down-right villainous, but watching him fail at every turn is a little disheartening. Especially when it's because ANOTHER (less likable) villain has screwed him over.

I'd be fine with him legitimately getting screwed by the law or whatever; finally getting busted for his many crimes. But between a dirty politician and police, his cousin, the Crowes... it's sad.

And as much as I hate Ava's story... her tragic story intermingled with his just makes his situation depressing.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
What's worse than Ava time? Doubling Ava time.

The movement of this episode picked up nicely. But the scenes were too short and involved too many characters; the former due to doubling down on Ava.

So where does this season stand with only four episodes to go? What's at stake? What is the final episode leading to?

Ava and Boyd have lost their chemistry. One would think - given she is in jail for a prison stabbing - she has to die. There is no Ava future. There hasn't been one since she went from detention to prison. I think we all know that. And every episode she is kept alive needlessly prolongs her use. I remember Yost saying that when Joelle Carter was spat upon by Ellen May he promised her a day at a spa. The actress has some kind of clout. She gets scene time every week, while other co-stars go episodes from being seen.

The Crowes need to be culled from Harlan's criminals. This appears to be - and it's not particularly interesting - the spine of Season 5. Every criminal interloper has been eliminated. Leaving only the Crowes to be dealt with and to disappear.

Raylan and Boyd are on a collision course. With Boyd having dispensed with his competition and moving from "sh*t kicker on sh*t kicker crime" to heroin distribution he is destined to move from Raylan not caring to Raylan putting him away.

Raylan now sees what he is going to become for the rest of his life. Eric Roberts foreshadowed it in a too obvious way. That seems to be the only reason for him being in last night's episode. Raylan's life will be nothing more than chasing bad guys and drinking. As Art put it "his life is nothing but his work".

Art and Raylan have forever lost their personal relationship. That seems to be why Rachel and Tim have been MIA. Leaving the final season for a balkanized Lexington office in a state of split loyalties colored by ambition.

It's likely that all Season 5 was about, was kicking the can down the road by placating its viewers with great dialog. Season 6 will of course be all about every characters future life or death. The problem is that Season 5 was probably the right time to end the show. The writers know it. Many critics have mentioned that the more Justified stays in Harlan; the better the show is. While that's true, the smallness of that canvas is the show's curse. Everything that could possibly happen in Harlan - sans Boyd and Raylan final collision - has already been more than milked in the past four seasons.
More+
Flag
Only one thing about Ava -- she is the main female character. And as much as I hate her current storyline, she is also the strongest female character. Killing her off leaves who? I think she is going to get out, and be all in with Boyd. He tried to protect her before from his business, but I think she will end up being partners. And become another badass gun-jockey that Raylan has to deal with. Well, I at least hope.
Flag
Couldn't agree more on the need to dispatch the Crowes.

As I watched last night, I was hoping that Jay and Roscoe would kill them off and steal Boyd's drugs / money / both. That could have set them up as the final season villains, with *both* Raylan and Boyd trying to track them down. Eventually it would force Raylan to work with Boyd as his informant, just as Future Raylan (Eric Roberts) had with Hot Rod...

Even if that doesn't come to pass, Steve and Wood Harris are awesome and as Tim mentioned, should absolutely continue to be a part of the universe, assuming Roscoe survived the gunshot.
Flag
I imagine Ava is done and gone: she'll either die or just whither away from the story, locked in some hole.

Her only real hope is if either Boyd gets the guard to confess, or something happens that reveals the guard was corrupt and/or took money to do this from VillainX.

And while I guess freedom is still somewhat possible for her, when she gets out things won't be the same. She's changed a lot since all of this started and while almost all of this is squarely her fault, a lot of her current s**t is because of her relationship with Boyd. It was because of him she got the snot beat out of her on her first day AND perhaps an enemy of HIS is what caused her to be framed in the first place.

So the Ava that MIGHT come out definitely won't be the one that went in, so at the very least the "happy future" between the two of them is over.
Flag
My sense is that the Justified writers - by devoting so much screen time to her in prison - are attempting to accomplish two things at once. Build up the emotional loss when she dies. And secondly, and more importantly, she is a breathing metaphor of what Boyd does to people he comes in contact with. He mentally and physically destroys them. Even if he thinks "he loves" someone or something.

The telling line in the last episode of last season was Boyd's non-answer to Raylan asking him "if he really loves her". "Like you loved white supremacy, God, and Arlo"?

His flock was killed. His last family member -Johnny - was killed. Devil was killed. Arlo became a pawn he played for money before he was killed. He further damaged Colt - especially by asking him to kill Ellen May - and Colt was killed.

That narrative has been consistent and has to be maintained. Thus Ava has to be negatively impacted as she is for a period of time; and eventually killed.

I can definitely see how it is possible for Boyd to get her out of prison. What I don't see is the point. And I don't think it does justice to the Boyd larger narrative.

More +
Flag
"And the magnetic charisma of Wood and Steve Harris as Jay and Roscoe moved things right along. They got busted, but if they can get out of jail, those two should be Justified fixtures going forward."

I got the impression Roscoe was killed. They didn't show him at all afterwards, so I guess it wasn't specified either way. Was there a mention that he was alive that I missed?

Bartender: "Goddamn, what the hell kind of place is this?"
Ha, that was probably my favorite line. I'd be just as confused if I was in his situation.

I liked the episode, and sure, it was assuredly more interesting than the previous few. I wished Dewey had hurt Danny more seriously... or even killed him... but I guess Danny's reaction might be fun to watch. Jay and Roscoe are great -- I'd love to see a whole season featuring them more than the Crowes. I'm not a big fan of Eric Roberts, but I liked his role in this one.

Ava's plot is still boring the crap outta me. This whole season has seemingly been about Boyd and Ava facing obstacle after obstacle after obstacle, and both storylines have gotten tiresome to me.

Yeah, I guess the biggest problem of this season is juggling way too many balls in the air, with too many secondary characters and too many settings. When the season was promoted as being about Raylan vs Boyd vs the Crowes, I guess I was expecting a bigger focus on it... although Jay and Roscoe have been welcome additions.
More+
Flag
I think Roscoe is done: shot to the upper chest from a 357. and the shooter was Miller - and what's gonna stop Jay from going for several years into the can? So I'm a little bumped out that the brothers are done and gone now. The whole King Lear shit was hilarious though.
Also not a big fan of Eric Roberts but his interpretation of Miller felt like an organic addition to the Justified universe.
Although I think that finally the Ava-arc took up some momentum it's still immensely tedious - I often catch myself pressing the fast-forward button whenever prison comes in sight.
Flag
I also had the impression Roscoe was killed. I guess we'll see.

I've never had too high an opinion of Eric Roberts, but this has got to be the best role he's ever had. Finally, for once I enjoyed him on screen. I got the impression that Dewey ran over him after he hit him and that Miller might also be roadkill. After he hit Miller the truck bounced twice like the front and rear tires were running over something. I was hoping he's not dead, but I think he's gone too.
Flag
I can't believe how this show has deteriorated. It has become a bunch of short scenes strung together--no long dramatic scenes that made Justified so good. There are also too many characters, with new ones being added all the time, who are short-lived and seem like extras--and that includes Agent Miller in this show. Even our regular characters are flat this year. There is no sense of continuity or building toward something. There is no explanation of how characters get from one place or situation to another any more. The bad guys including Boyd get rounded up only to have Boyd show up in a pickup truck a scene later with no explanation of what happened in between.

For some reason in this episode I was very aware of the actors acting. I was seeing the acting rather than being involved in the plot. The dialogue was poor in my opinion. Is every bad guy going to talk like Boyd Crowder now?

I can't say how much I am disappointed in this show. I am glad it will be finished next season because the cleverness and attention detail are gone. There are no tense scenes like the one between Ava and Nick Augustine in the bar last year. The scene between the brothers and Miller and Raylan was supposed to be a big dramatic scene, but it was so weak, with the Shakespeare interpretation by the brothers seeming like the writer(s) were trying too hard. That Miller is like Raylan and the implications of that was not subtle. There is little cleverness or subtlety left with this show. Boo hiss.
More+
Flag
I want to also add that while the Ava plotline doesn't bother me too much the scene last night in which she is almost attacked was so hokey I could hardly believe it. I was almost laughing out loud at how trite it was and how the actors were struggling to make it real.
Flag
In the prisoner's defense, she was supposed to be crashing from heroine withdraw. That makes people crazy and weird, so they might have meant for it come across like that.

If it was just an angry prisoner upset that she's hurting their income, then it probably would have been treated differently.
Flag
Well, that's the point. The "coming down" acting was hokey, and the confrontation with the goddess woman was equally bad.
Flag
I hate to say it, but I agree. Too much going on and too many characters... some of which bring extremely little to the table.

Obviously you need more than one thing going on at a time: hence the traditional A story and B story format. But here you have like an F story and a G story... too much stuff going on and that what HAS been resolved seemed to just fizzle out.
Flag
Finally, some interesting action :D
Flag
Whew, it's finally started picking up the pace. Maybe we can survive the Haitian's departure after all.
Flag
I watch Justified and Banshee. My opinion is that Banshee is far better. But, hey. That^s me :-)
Flag
Okay, I'm obviously the rib bone in a room full of hungry dogs, but I loved this episode and every episode thus far this season.

I think the Crowe family, while not equal to the Bennett clan, is engaging.

Ava scheming and manipulating to survive prison life is interesting to me.

Boyd is always entertaining in whatever he's involved in.

And, Raylan is a tall can of cool whenever he's on the screen.

I have no idea how this season will end, but I predict an obvious pruning of the Crowe family tree (namely Darryl and Danny); I doubt that Ava will remain in prison; and, I can sense the prelude to the ultimate showdown between Raylan and Boyd.

I predict that Boyd will be the "Big Bad" in the final season.

And, for some reason I'm still hoping that Dickie Bennett will somehow make an appearance alongside Dewey Crowe at some point in the final season. Entertainment does not get better than watching those two characters on screen together!
Flag
Hear hear! Enjoying Justified every step of the way (although I must admit, it was more of a rush binge watching all 4 seasons in 10 days on Netflix). I too am enjoying Ava's storyline because I was so invested in her and Boyd's 'happily ever after' dream.

I also like how much she's changed since the first season. At the start she was flirty, brassy and somewhat naive. Now, she's the exact opposite. Even her hairstyle has subtly changed throughout the seasons to match her new persona.

I'd like to see her get out, but I can't see her and Boyd playing happy families, which is a shame! But we'll see...we'll see...

Glad to see Dewey getting more screen time; definitely one of my favourite Harlan mini-criminals. The rest of the Crowe's don't bother me as much as they seem to other people - granted, not a patch on the Bennetts, but still a fair pain in the ass as far as Boyd & Duffy are concerned. Really don't get the death of the Haitian though. I'm assuming it will come up at some point, but I thought he was a good character and they just snuffed him out, just like that!
More +
Flag
The death of the Haitian was the result of the actor that was playing him (Edi Gathegi) was not liking the way his character was going and wasn't enjoying the ride so he wanted out. So they killed him. You can read about it in Graham Yost's weekly postmortem with Entertainment Weekly.
Flag
Good points one and all! And you're right about the death of the Haitian. I was wondering when that particular chicken would be returning home to roost...lol. I think young Kendal will eventually reveal what really happened to the Haitian, and then Danny is going to have some 'splaining to do...lol.
Flag
Hey, I'm with you. While I agree this has probably been the bump in Justified proverbial road (but can't say that until the season is done with and I've had a chance to judge it properly) it is still Justified and I am enjoying every damn second of it.
Flag
an ok episode. I find myself becoming more distracted when watching justified. might be losing its lustre. its cool that they brought in Wood Harris and Eric Roberts, but it doesnt seem to help the show in any noticeable way. I been a fan of justified for a while, but it seems to be becoming more mainstream hollywood type stuff, rather than backwater hillbilly. I mean, its cool, but I like having Rachel and Tim around. Art too. They just needed a different breed of criminal and more tactical scenarios. instead its like theyre just muddying the waters with all these hollywood huckleberries.
Flag
Eric Roberts was fantastic! I hope he is not dead (crosses fingers). Yes #FREEAVA I can't stand what is happening to her! Someone get her a rock hammer! Raylan needs to go see his baby! What's his deal?! Poor Kendall, his mom should have stuck up for him! That's his money no matter where it came from. I hate all the Crowes, however I'm happy that Dewey finally cracked! Too bad he didn't kill that rabid dog! Glad to see the show unpack it's travelers back home!
Flag
I finally have to throw my hands up and surrender on defending the Ava storyline! It has gone from somewhat interesting to pole-vaulting the shark. Having her get Boyd to kill some old guy no one cared about (and who also obviously never seen The Godfather or Goodfellas) was a waste of screen time that could have gone to hearing more of Jay and Roscoe take on Shakespeare. Now she has to kill Church Lady? I'm done (sound of wiping my hands and walking away).

Jay: "Goddamn! Reason! Not the need."
Raylan: "I don't understand what these two are talking about, but I gotta admit I'm interested.
Roscoe: "Well, in the analogy, we be Leir...And, they the bitches."

Flag
I would watch anyone pole-vaulting a shark.
Flag
I still have some problems with this season, but I liked this episode way better than the last few. Getting rid of Allison was a plus in my book, as she was a flat character. Now, if only they could rid of Daryl and Danny. I was hoping Miller would kill Danny near the end, but I knew it wouldn't happen, just like I knew the Harris brothers wouldn't shoot Daryl at the request of Boyd. I think Eric Roberts did good, and I felt Miller really overshadowed Raylan tonight. The best part of this episode for me were the Harris brothers (Jay and Roscoe). I've been waiting for these guys to return, and they didn't disappoint. They are both charismatic and dangerous, and Roscoe really shined with his King Lear speech. As bad as they are, I actually felt sorry for Jay when he saw his brother get shot. I think these kinds of things add to their complexity. I'm certainly not going to get that of Daryl or Danny. Hell, I wish we could trade a whole season of Danny and Daryl with a whole season of Jay and Roscoe. I hope they somehow appear again. The only thing I really didn't like was anything that had to do with Ava's prison time. Not a surprise at this point. I wasn't sad about Hot Rod, but his scene with Miller was really good, and a good send off for a fairly minor character. It was a much better send off than Johnny Crowder.

Speaking of appearing again, it looks like Dickie Bennett is going to return next week. Maybe this season is starting to gain some momentum after all.
More+
Flag
I find the death of Hot Rod kind of lame. Not necessarily the death itself but the fact that it wasn't even a tertiary character that did it. It was just a bit player in all of this.
Flag
That's true, and what made it stupider for me was that the guy actually gave him a pencil. I basically liked his last exchange with Miller.
Flag
The previews also strongly suggested that there will be fewer Crowes by the end of the episode. Whew, finally.

Flag
Great episode.
I like Ava's story line more than a lot of people. If she was going to spend another season so close to Boyd and his business, she was clearly going to have to be killed by someone. And that can wait until next season. This season was all about cementing Ava as being beyond salvation, and by the looks of the preview, she kills yet another person next week and establishes a drug trade in the prison. That is a 180 form the Ava we first met, the victim trying to stand on her own. Now she is willing to do anything just to get ahead. When she was with Raylan you could root for her to get ahead, or at least get out, but instead she chose Boyd and all of his crimes. She may not be the biggest villian on the show, she has just become another one of Harlan County's reprobate.
I enjoyed seeing Raylan and Miller together, though I suspect that Danny played 21 steps with him as soon as he tried to get up from the crash. Good news is it looks like Danny is going to try to play it with Raylan next week, so that will be the end of Danny.
Boyd and Wynn Duffy are still great together. So the show down at the table was fun to watch. And Boyd has been strung so thin out with the loss of the drug trade and Aav being stuck in prison that I truly think he would have been relieved to pull down on everyone and just take his chances. He is like an insomniac who is so tired that death would be a nice rest.
And my favorite quote came from Art, that Raylan does whatever the hell he wants, everything works out and Art is the only idiot losing any sleep over it. Plus I like seeing Art sticking to his guns on this thing with Raylan. Someone has too eventually.
More+
Flag
Don't get me wrong, I hate the direction Ava took. I liked her in Season 1 but she quickly fell from grace after that.

But her actions in prison are still about standing up. Sure, PERHAPS she did all of this to gain power and influence.

But perhaps she didn't want to whore herself out to a guard every week just to stay alive: because they were only protecting her if she became the new contact for the guard. Having Boyd "do a favor" was probably no big deal in her eyes... but now she's committed. Her actions have made her a target; the preacher was just BARELY able to save her this time and it will only get worse until the drugs flow. The ONLY way out of this alive is for her to follow through and become the new drug source.

Flag
She could have trusted Boyd to take care of it. Instead she got antsy waiting and went with the preacher, but it wasn't out of necessity. Boyd took care of the racist brother. She just didn't have the patience to wait because at this juncture she has no problem being a criminal. She use to, but those days are long gone. Being a pimp to "protect the girls' interests" is still being a pimp.
Flag
This show is either going to end one of two ways: Boyd and Raylan will kill each other, OR they go into business together. Both are scary possibilities.
Flag
Raylan has so many assholes that he don't know which one is the original.

Things are starting to heat up. Plus... DICKIE!!!
Flag
Yeah, he was only in next week's promo for a split second but he sure was great to see again. Easily one of the show's best characters ever.

Flag
You forgot the best line Tim.

Boyd: "Raylan, may I be excused from the table?"
Flag
Follow this Show
Members