Justified

Cottonmouth

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 09, 2011 on FX

7.4
  • Yet another brilliant installment in a series that just gets better and better. So full of twists and turns and great moments that I'm going to need some time to digest this one.

It's interesting - despite the sometimes slow pace and deceptively laid-back approach, this show packs so much into each episode that it feels like I've watched a movie, not a 40-minute installment in a series.
    I can't get my head to sort through the massive amount of "stuff" to say much about the overall storyarch for the season in this episode, but I do want to point out some of my favourite scenes this time around:

Boyd being brilliant and sneaky - the cellphone on the couch was VERY nice, and in the end, the poor schmucks never knew what hit them. I know he feels he's doomed to a life of crime, but I have to admit I differentiate between "good" crime and "bad" crime.
    This time, Boyd's illegal actions were "good", so I continue to enjoy his low-key struggles with his surprisingly strict conscience. :D

Mama Bennett taking her idiot sons in hand, the way only SHE can do it.
    I don't think I've ever seen a scarier woman on television. Seriously, she makes me wanna crawl under the covers - especially since she's such a NICE lady too. *shudders*

Raylan and Arlo bickering in the office - the two of them have so many issues and so little time, and I always wonder exactly WHAT parts of his father's psyche Raylan inherited...

And of course - the final scene between Raylan and Loretta. That was just so SWEET. The girl is so smart and collected, and you can tell Raylan really likes her and wishes he could give her a chance to get away and make something of herself, the way he did.
    The conflicted and unhappy look on his face as he gave her the phone and made his solemn vow really got to me, and reinforced the knowledge that Timothy Olyphant is a Very, Very good actor!
  • Cool Hand Boyd

This week served up another winner as Boyd and his new mining buddies set about to rob the mine where they work and Raylan begins to follow the trail of Walt McReady, the man the Bennetts killed, as his disability checks are still being cashed and discovers the Bennetts are behind it but can't prove it. Arlo tries to give some of the money he stole back to no avail to get out of his house arrest. Boyd does some quick on his feet thinking that save his life at the hands of his compatriots and makes a sacrifice for Ava in a fitting end to his storyline this week. When Mags did the hammer thing to Gooper's hand it was really difficult to watch but truly showed how capable she is as a matriarch and a criminal. Now Raylan fully knows that all roads lead back to the Bennetts and as he himself said to Loretta, "Things may start happening" as the season goes further along and things are setting up for a big payoff.
  • Boyd is becoming very mysterious and alluring.

I am secretly hoping that he and Ava get together this season - and Raylan becomes crazy jealous. I love Raylan, but think it's a real mistake that he has feelings for Winona. I Do Not Like That Woman. She is going to be featured prominently in the next episode and I almost don't want to watch.

Since this is supposed to be a review - it was a good episode which furthered the story arc. I love the fact that Coover and Dickey are so incredibly stupid (although I felt bad when Mags found it necessary to pound his hand with the hammer). And as mentioned, Boyd continues to surprise - I'm sure his "partners in crime" were surprised when their truck blew up. The series keeps getting better.