Justified

The Collection

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Apr 20, 2010 on FX

6.6
  • Raylan has to go after a woman who likely murdered her husband.

Following last week's episode, this was a pretty disappointing episode. In fact, the show was able to introduce and resolve the main plot of the episode in a little under/over twenty minutes. That left another twenty minutes or so to fill in, and as a result, we get a lot of random scenes that have promise but don't really accomplish anything. After having Arlo present so much last week, he's noticeably absent. We do, however, get appearances from Boyd Crowder to start off and finish the episode.

The main plot of the episode (and also where it gets its name) involves a man who was made to look as if he committed suicide, even though his wife and her lover did it. He was an art collector that appearently had come in possession of some rare Adolph Hitler paintings. For me, the whole plot was a bit confusing, with an art collector and an accountant of some sort played by Tony Hale in the mix, and for me, despite the plot coming to a somewhat satisfactory ending, it still left me feeling cold, as if there were more promise in the plot than we actually ended up getting.

The final scene, where Boyd hints at Arlo being involved with something very bad, leaves us hanging in the wind, which means that the next episode should certainly be something exciting, bringing back Arlo, Helen and other bad guys for Raylan to threaten. For me, six or seven episodes into an FX show is a good enough indication as to what you'll be getting throughout a show's run, and I must say, despite this being a more disappointing episode, it still left me excited to see what happens next.