Kappa Mikey

Nicktoons Networks (ended 2008)

Kappa Mikey Fan Reviews (99)

• Kappa Mikey was one of those shows you've never heard of but eventually come across and come to either love it's originality and parody of anime or hate it because of the way it makes fun of the shows you love.

I have never even heard of this show until a few weeks ago. I was watching Invader Zim or some other show on the Nicktoons Network. It was just playing in the background and it caught my eye. I didn't know what this was about or if it was any good. I wasn't paying much attention to the show at first but became engrossed after I watch a few minutes of it. The theme song is done by the Beat Crusaders and quite catchy. I find myself humming it or singing it to myself on more then a few occasions.

Kappa Mikey is an anime show made in America about an anime show made in Japan. So the show is animated different then most. The main character is outlined in black like most "western" cartoons. Similar to Powerpuff Girls, Danny Phantom, Fairly Oddparents, etc. The rest of the cast, crew, and charcters are all animated anime-style.

The star of both "Kappa Mikey" and "LilyMu" is Mikey Simon, an actor from Cleaveland, Ohio. He wins a trip to star in Japan's once great anime "LilyMu" from a scratch-off ticket. His co-stars don't really think that he is the right choice for the show but all of Japan thinks differently and "Lilymu" becomes a top-rated show again.

"LilyMu" has a small cast of only 5 actors. Guano is a purple thing that writes, directs, and acts in the "LilyMu" show. While filming, his only lines are his name. He's basically a Pokemon that can fire a beam from a gem on his chest. Next is Gonard. He is the villian of the show. Off set though, he's just a big loveable guy. He is a bit stupid though. Which may be why he's Mikey's best friend. Together they cause all kinds of mischief and mayhem wether it be buying video games from pirates or selling lemonade then giving away the money to compete for popularity.

Now for the females of the group. Lily plays a sweet innocent girl on set but off, she's actually very cruel and is always trying to ruin Mikey since he came to Japan. She lives together with Mitsuki in LilyMu Towers. Mitsuki is just the opposite of Lily. A short-tempered, butt kicking kind of gal. While Lily despise Mikey with a passion, Mitsuki has a crush on Mikey. Mikey likes Lily though and is oblivious to the fact Mitsuki likes him.

The crew consists of the boss Ozu, the Yes-Man, and Yoshi the camera man. Not much to be said here except that the Yes-Man is always around Ozu with a witty phrase to be said after Ozu "lays down the law." Yoshi seems to appear at random intervals. Wether it be on a pirate ship or helping Mikey fool Mitsuki.

Through the episodes, Mikey and the gang encounter many different parodied anime characters, go on lots of adventures, and cause lots of trouble. All in all, I recommend watching a couple episodes and then deciding for yourself if you like this show or not.

The only downside is that not everyone has the Nicktoons Network. So unless you have Digital Cable or Satellite, you probably will not be able to see it and be missing out. Other then it airing only on a channel most people don't have, I rate this show a 10/10 and mark it as one of my all-time personal favorite shows.
  • Kappa Mikey is one of the best shows I have seen in quite a while.

Kappa Mikey is one of the best shows I have seen in quite a while.
    In this cartoon, every nation has it's own animated style and all television shows are done with "live" actors. So what happens when an american actor works on a japanese anime? Pure hilarity.
    In this American made anime, Mikey Simon, a struggling Ohio actor wins a contest on a scratch-off ticket and lands the starring role on LilyMu, Japan's former favorite anime.
    Since he is Flash animated, like many American cartoons nowadays, Mikey stands out in Japan like a sore thumb. Luckily for him, that is exactly what Japanese fans love about him... and what viewers love, too.
  • There is good times, and bad, andthis is has more good times, then bad.

It's hilarous at times with off the wall comedy and humor. The characters seem fresh and funny and the colors are good. The backgrounds and side animations don't always make since, but it's meant to be a big spoof off anime, and it does a great job. You'll see anime characters from real Japanese cartoons spoofed up and made fun of in this show, which I think is quite funny. :) Animation is good in the terms as it's supposed to make fun of, and the story lines are often so goofy, it's not supposed to make sense. A great show from creator Larry Scwartz, who for a long time tried getting a full time cartoon series. Other shows he made was the animated short "Leader Dog." on Nicktoons Network. Don't turn the how off if you don't like the animation, becuase it really is funny and deserves to be on other channels since not everyone gets the channel it is on.
  • A new favorite show of mine.

This show is terrific. Although it didn't look too good at first, it proved to be excellent. The first couple of episodes weren't that great, but the show quickly improved. And the plots don't usually take themselves that seriously, but they're not really supposed to, and usually end up being hilarious. Mikey usually gets himself into some situation, which almost always results in hilarity. The characters are loveable, too. Gonard makes for a fun villain on Lilymu, and is funny offstage, because of how dumb he acts. Lily and Mitsuki are funny, too, as they're parodies of girls from girl animes, such as Sailor Moon. Guano is just plain interesting. As is Mikey, especially considering he's often getting in trouble with Ozu, his boss. Also, the Lilymu show that Mikey and his friends star in is fun, and I enjoy all the fights in it. This show is great, and makes fun of anime in a funny way. And it also makes fun of itself, too, sometimes which is a good thing. While I don't quite get some of the Japanese stuff it makes fun of, I get most of it, and I love the show for what it is. Yep. This is excellent.
  • Wow what took you guys at TV.com so long to put this on here? Oh right, I like it I truly do but the first couple episode were meh worthy. It's good so far.

I'm just suprised that this show wasn't on TV.com when it came on Nicktoons Network I think back in february. Anyway the show is pretty good so far but as I said the first few episode before The fugi-kid, one of my favorite episode, got on. Though ship of fools was good too. The only thing I have to complain about the show is the animation is iffy most of the time. Somtimes the characters facial expression are really really odd. So far it's good and I'm suprised by the score it got, I was expecting a 7.somthing score. Well I don't really have much to say about the show, except what took ya so long TV.com?
  • It\'s a good show in it\'s own little way.

6.1
    Kappa Mikey is probably one of weirder shows I\'ve seen. The art style is absolutely killer: combining American and Japanese animation = sweet! Although this show only airs on Nicktoons TV. It\'s a decent show in my opinion. Not that bad for a 0 not that good for a 10 but it\'s special in it\'s own little way. I like the main plot sub plot story system and the characters are absolutely hilarious. The little transactions between each scene are neat (if not a tad disturbing). I mean come on, how can you go wrong with a show that features a little peice of sushi dancing.
  • What's the guy from Futurama doing in Tenchi Muyo? Oh wait...

This show is another in a long line of other anime-oriented toons. I think it is a pretty good idea like chocolate and peanut butter together but all I got were cheap laughs in here. The show just looked like it was aimed at children and those new to anime. It's a slice of life show which starts off as an action show. The story of an American tourist in Japan, getting used to its customs and all that, all while starring a leading role in a TV show. What first throws this series off is the character design. First, since Mikey is the American, he gets the black outlines, the wrinkle-free clothes, a lip-synched mouth and four fingers. Everyone else is given their traditional anime design, but almost looks like the designer took lesson off those How-to-draw anime books. And I do not mean those thick, expensive japanese books. The show throws in little animated segments of dancing pieces of dim sum between scenes (ala Pokemon 1st Movie's Pikachu's Vacation), which I believe what occupies the empty spaces the show itself won't fill up. It's hard to find anything funny in this show, except some surprise cameos appearances, and the jokes are like "I've heard that before" or "Nice try" at times. And with higher-rated anime-oriented shows like Teen Titans, Super Robot Monkey Team and the Boondocks still on the air, this show just can't seem to catch up. But this review will be subject to change.
  • About an kid who stars in his own tv show.

Its an very cool show.I mean the character design is amazing.Even though Mikey is normal cartoon style and the others are liked almost japanase style.But this is pretty good.I mean he has an crush on Lily.But Mitsuki,has an crush on him.Even though he doesn't really see it.This show is awsome.It would be cool if it was more anime style and stuff.My favorite character are Mitsuki and Lily.That is only my fav character.I didn't see the first episode of this show.But I did catch some episodes.I find it interesting.I mean whats not to liked about this show? I liked animes.But this is pretty good.
  • Kappa Mikey serves one purpose and one purpose only.

And that purpose is to show how Japanese animation has completely dominated our society.

I have not really watched this show (only a little bit of one episode and the commercials), so you probably think I have no right to say anything bad about it. What I am about to say isn't necessarily bad; it's just the message I got from seeing previews and that little bit.

Like I said in the beginning, this show is a blatant representation of how anime is number one these days and American-style cartoons just don't measure up. See how Mikey sticks out like a sore thumb amongst his anime counterparts? How he tries to mimick their face-faults, sweatdrops, and everything? It's actually kind of sad, but goes to show us that American cartoons just aren't as great as they might have once been.

I'm not saying ALL American cartoons aren't good, but seeing this old-school-style character in a high-style world...it just says something. And that something is that anime is in; cartoons are out.

• I love Kappa Mikey so much I made my own site at www.kappamikeyfans.net

The thing I love the most about \"Kappa Mikey\" is the fun inventive way it makes fun out of popular culture. Another animated series that is brilliant in the art of molding itself with the times are the long running animated series \"The Simpson\'s\" and \"South Park.\" If \"Kappa Mikey\" follows their successful recipe this show has the potential of running for a long time.

I really like Mikey because he\'s flawed; which makes him the most human. He\'s always doing stupid things and messing up, but in the end seems to come out of it wiser.

Mitsuki is the sweetest most caring character of the bunch therefore I think she\'s the most likeable. She has forgiven Mikey on many occasions even though he\'s done dumb things to her. I think that makes for a very admirable quality even for a cartoon character.

Lily is quite self centered and loud; she\'s always screaming at Mikey. Although this does make for some funny moments so I wouldn\'t want her any other way.

Guano\'s character is kind of still developing in my opinion Gonars and as well.

I like Ozu He\'s older and wiser, but still makes mistakes.

And last but not least the dancing susi I just love them.

Plus: We have will posting our new exclusive interview with the creator of Kappa Mikey, Larry Schwarz. Check out: episode photo captions, fan art, fan fiction, and stop by our forum to discuss the Lilly Mu gang.
  • Mikey Simon wins a trip to japan, and gets to act in a TV show called "LILY-MU".

I like this show, it's funny and it's cool how they Are Drawn Different in the show. Guano is cool, and Mikey too. I dont like lily, she is mean to the other actors. It's a silly show with funny gags, the Computer Animation is done well too. Thanks for Reading My review. ^_^
  • Wow...

this looks like a flop... they took FOP (FAIRLY ODDPARENTS) off the air for this crap! not being an anime fan but i\'ve got an idea that every anime fan will feel embarassed watching this wimpy little pimple on the face of nickolodeon air. it stinks! literally like martin mystery and my dad is a rock star, now mr meaty and shuriken school! nick\'s gonna look like cartoon network with their lame shows. oh boy, this is going to be hilarious. the show won\'t last 2 seasons, like the zany invader zim lasted what a year? pfft... this blows! :[
  • Just some show about an American kid who won a contest to be a star in Japan. The plot for the show is about him doing stuff in Japan.

What a terrible show. I think that it's completely senseless. I saw a commercial for one of the episodes, and it's senseless. It's centered around a missing fish, and everyone goes all over the place for the whole episode just trying to find a fish. And besides, the anime setting is poor. It's not right to blend an american kid who looks like he was from an american show setting into a poor anime setting. They don't match at all and it's kind of annoying. In that commercial, the characters were acting all weird. Ugh. I don't want to watch this show. Now tell me how this show got an 8.1?
  • Kappa Mikey, I watched it once and thought immediatly this was a disgrace to all anime. I mean the supposley main character doesn't even look anime, but for some reason it is stationed in Japan and the rest of the characters are anime.

5.5
    Whoa what can I say about Kappa Mikey, not bad but not tvery good. Anime is the best kind of shows out there and at first I thought this was a disgrace as I said above, I then thought that this was a cartoon. It has little things that anime shows like the characters sweat dropping and everything else, but other then that it is the weirdest thing I have ever seen.
  • Because I wanna strangle them!

This is one of the worst shows out there! An insult to Anime! The over use of emocionics is truely sad, an insult to my senses. And just how many episodes do the creators hope to get out of a show about a show?! The way they portray the Japenease culture sickens me!I hate American attempts at an anime! In my opnion this show has no potenial, no one can relate to it, AND the animation and dialog sucks! What exactly is that purple thing supposed to be?! Nickalodean have really tested my faith before (cancling Invader Zim) but this is just terrible!
  • When I first saw this, I expected neigh-sayers, but I like it. There's a very good reason here that some biased people don't see.

Okay, let's get one thing straight. For all you who think this is another anime show to make American TV look better, if it was made in America, it's not anime. It's just meant to make fun of anime, and they do it rather well. Basically, the characters are average anime stereotypes like the ones used in South Park, only much more biased. For one thing, Ozu's yes-man is a psychopath who talks too fast. Ozu is a kiss-up who only treats the best guy with respect. Gonard is your average stupid anime boy while Guano is a stereotypical anime spaz. (He's my favorite character. All the best humor derives from him!) Mitsuki is the average teenaged girl who has a crush on the cute boy but never shows it and Lily is the angry girl who gets mad at everything the main character does, even if it's not offensive. Basically, the best thing about the humor is that is makes fun of both cultures, American slob with emotional Japanese guy.

Now, it's not the best quality, for it is done in flash. Still, it's so slapsticky and random that you just have to love it. It's not the best take on anime I ever saw, but the fact that it makes fun of anime and American cartoons so well is just impressive.

All in all, it's a pretty worthwhile show, and if not, at least it's good for when you're bored and have nothing better to do on your free time.
  • An American actor cant get work anywere in the states when he wins a scratch and win game he gets cast for an anime show in japan and whacky hijinks happen.

this shows isnt bad i was expecting another horrible show along the line of Totaly Spies (and other shows that pretend to be anime and arent) although im an anime fan and i thin that the overuse of anime facial expressions can get old real quick but hey its a tv and its a fairly new show so give it time i guess simply put if you want a reasonably enjoyable show watch this show.Its alot more enjoyable than alot of cartoons out there now like (Totaly Spy,The X's, Yackity Yack,)
  • just another poorly done american anime to add onto an already long list of poorly done american anime.

hmmm, where to start where to start? First off, the voice acting is terrible, the anime is not that amazing, and it's basically the same thing in every episode. Mikey does somthing stupid, Ozu fires him, Mikey in some crazy way solves the problem, Mikey gets job back. It's just another person trying to cash off on the anime-craze. Well you ain't getting a cent out of me!! If your looking for a good american anime, skip this mess and watch Avatar: The Last Airbender. It has much better voice acting, beautiful art, amazing storyline, and you never know what will happen at each turn. Trust me, you will thank me
  • Mikey's come to town

Kappa Mikey is an anime made in america about an anime made in japan.The plot in Kappa Mikey is that an actor from Ohio that can't get a job then he wins a role in the Japanese show Lillymu via a scratch ticket. After arriving in Japan he begins work on the show and meats his costars Gonard a freindly but stupid charactor voiced by Sean Schemmel, Guano a purple dog thing with a blue gem on his chest, Lily a girl that hates Mikey ( even though he loves her )and the often forgotten Mitsuki who has a crush on Mikey. Most of the show is about the Lilymu cast's life and the plot is about Mikey ether tring to get adjusted to japan or messing something up and trying to fix it. I really like Kappa Mikey and if you like animes made in america about an anime made in japn you should wach Kappa Mikey.
  • just another nick screw up.

this show is about a guy named kappa mikey who wins a contest and goes to japan. (or at least thats all i got out of it)but if u ask me from how it looks its just gonna be one of many horrible nick shows to come. i was about half way through the show when i though is supose to be funny or did a bunch or morons with 2 much time on their hands decide to get together and make a half a** atempt at making a show? to tell the truth im still not sure. i feel sorry for nick all they got going for them now is drake and josh and avatar. o well i guess one channel can't be amazing forever.
  • This Show is Funny

Kappa Mikey is a Show about a A Kid Named Mikey an Average American who Becomes The Next LilyMu actor aftere wining a Ticket He Tries to Deal with Tokyo and It's Crazy Habits aswell he Lives in Lilymu towers With his Cast Mates Guano a Cute Little Pikachu Creature The Writes The Scripts,Lily The Almost seemiling Nice Girl she Hates Mikey and I Hare Her,Gonard he May Play The Bad Guy on Lilymu But he's a Freindly Guy,Mitsuki she Has Lot's of Feelings for Mikey and Ozu His Boss/Producuer and yes Man Who well Says Yes To Ozu This Show Is Very Funny C'Mon guys Watch it
  • This show is very underappreciated. Too few people like it.

I think this show will do well on television. I have seen only a few of the episodes, and I loved them. This is one of Nick's new shows that I like. Nick is currently going into a dark era, but this is one show that the channel needs. I don't understand why everyone hates it. It's funny, but it has some annoying characters. Gonard is an idiot. I think he's mildly annoying. Lily is a control freak, and I hate people who act like that. Everyone else is great, even Ozu. It's OK that he acts bossy because he is the boss. This is a great show.
  • This has to be the most pathetic American-Made Show out there.

You have to be a little kid who never saw Anime in your life to like this show, although this is not even close to it, it's garbage. Stupid Random Humor makes it even worse. I actually can consider it a twisted stereotype of Japanimation/Anime. The creator had to be "on something" when he came up with the idea for this show. I think it's the worst show on Nick and poorly animated. I would rather watch Pokemon Marathons than this. I apologize to all who like this show for me flaming it, I just can't stand how pathetic and stupid it is.
  • Mikey Simmons is just an ordinary American boy and no hero, but he plays one on tv!!He stars in LilyMu,a Japenese show!!

I like this series..and honestly,cant figure out why!!!Im no fan of Japenese anime,but these characters arent normal!!They're hilarious!!I really enjoy watching this series every Sunday at 11:00 am!!!!This show probably wont last very long,but its bound to last longer than Mr. Meaty*gag*!!!!Well,I hope it stays on for at least another 2 months...but my current interest is trying to save Danny Phantom.....SAVE DANNY!

That is all....
  • What happens when you combine American and Japanesse animation with both humor from the countries? You get Kappa Mikey.

When I first saw it, I thought just another Nicktoons Network, might as well see it. Who knew it would be one of my most favorite shows I watch on TV? The animation comes combines America and Japan style with some great humor thrown into the mix. This show might upset some anime fans and might not appeal to a lot of people, but it is actually a great show for everyone!
  • If it wasn't for Nickelodeon advertising this crap without mercy, you'd be completely lost in the first 2 minutes of it!

I dunno about in the US, but here Nickelodeon would not stop advertising this show... and more often than not, over-advertising is a sign of sucky quality. This is no exception.

Mikey, an American idiot with an oversized outline, becomes a star in a Japanese series. Therefore, everyone else is intended to look like an anime character. But, of course, it looks nothing like an anime or even an Amerime.

Like I said before, all the advertising Nick did about the show explained what it is about. Had it been not for that, you wouldn't be able to understand what the hell was going on.

The only reason I didn't rate it a 0 were because of the characters Gonard and Yes-Man, both of which are mildly amusing. Gonard is the idiot who plays the bad guy, while Yes-Man is just plain weird. Everyone else is almost as lame as the show.
  • Mikey Simmons es llamado para unirse al elenco de LilyMu. Sus protagonistas podían darse cuenta que algo andaba mal. Pero el público piensa lo contrario, y de repente, Mikey es la nueva estrella del Japón, lanzando los ratings del sho

¡La primera comedia espontánea de la Televisión! Cuando Mikey Simmons, actor desempleado de la ciudad de Cleveland, es llamado para unirse al elenco de LilyMu, conocido antiguamente como el show japonés animado más popular, parecía que la mezcla no cuajaba bien. Sus co-protagonistas podían darse cuenta enseguida que algo andaba mal con su personaje. Pero el público piensa lo contrario, y de repente, Mikey es la nueva súper estrella del Japón, lanzando los ratings del show LilyMu de nuevo a la cima. Kappa Mikey es la historia de Mikey y su épica lucha para ganarse el cariño de sus compañeros, aprender algo de la cultura japonesa y verse cool mientras logra pelear contra escarabajos gigantes.
  • A parody of anime, that oddly enough stars quite a few anime VAs!

The show\'s premise is that an American actor(Mikey Simon) wins a job on a Japanese action show, The boss yells alot(Mr. Ozu), and comes complete with his own brown noser(Yes Man), the director is a furry little pokemon-like animal(Guano), his co-stars consist of a raging diva(Lily) a sweet, but kind of ditzy girl(Mitsuki), and a loveable idiot!(Gonard)
    The show is riddled with pokes at various anime, in one episode there was a detective who bears a striking resemblance to a character from Fooly Cooly.
    By the end of the episode the characters usually end up learning a lesson of sort, sandwiched between two takes of the show in a show(Lili-Mu)
    There's also these weird intermissions with cute dancing...sushi...things...
    The artwork is good, though Mikey is drawn in a completely different style then every one else(part of that whole, American character on a Japanese show idea.)
    It\'s a good show for kids too, in fact it\'s something you can watch WITH your kids! Flash cartoons like this are easier and cheaper to produce then traditional animation so here\'s hoping that also means a long run!
  • What the hell? Another blasted show by Nickelodeon? but this time with Anime and American animation combined.

4.6
    This show really is crazy and yes it is an insult to anime makes fun of it yes girls in it can be annoying but they are more annoying in this pile of crap and Mikey Simon the main character is the only one who does'nt look like an anime character meanwhile the others look like anime characters and act even worse than they did in the actual anime shows but Nick have gone too far come on Nick cancel shows like this it's getting pretty boring and it sucks i completely hate this show and will never like it.
  • Ok. Now that I've seen a full episode of this show, I can say for sure that it's beyond stupid. I was laughing the whole thing, not at the jokes or things that were supposed to be funny, but how bad it was! It was so retarted!

2.5
    And what's up with the fact that Mikey doesn't blend into the background? It looks freaky.
    It's a pathetic attempt to combine anime and american cartoons together.
    There were too many flaws in the show.
    For one, anime expressions were way too overused.
    I mean I saw eyes popping out of everyone's face every other minute!
    And what's up with the random dancing things that appear out of nowhere?
    I change the channel whenever it's on.
    I don't get how anybody could actually like this show at all. I just don't get it.
    I guess no minds think completely alike.
    Everybody is different.