Kath & Kim (Australia) Forums

Sunday 7:30 PM on Channel SevenBetween Seasons

US version: HORRIBLE idea

mz2005

[1]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 6

I hate that they're doing an American version of K&K. I can't believe Turner and Riley are even letting them. People in the US are going to be taking all the credit for coming up with this wonderful idea, when it is really our show! I also have a feeling that they're going to turn it into one of those disastrously unfunny sitcoms with canned laughter. Why can't they just watch and enjoy the Australian version? Why do they have to "improve" it, like they did with The Office?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

peterfan1

[2]Dec 7, 2007
    • level: 10
    I agree it sounds really bad

Celtwytch

[3]Jan 15, 2008
    • level: 8

I totally agree. Kath & Kim are quintessentially Australian - so much so, that I occasionally need my Aussie husband to explain some of their references! Let the Yanks come up with their own ideas, instead of stealing shows from around the world

extremeamelia

[4]Jan 22, 2008
    • level: 1

Ditto.

It just won't work simply becuase of that the script, story line and characters were made, for Australian actors and environment. American actors won't be able to convey the characters and use the same yumor becuase its just not meant for there use!

To be honest im not going to watch the American version, unless someone who i know gives the thumbs up about it, i guess we don't know yet, they may change it slightly to cater for the differences...but it will never be the same.

smartguy_90640

[5]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 15
    i hate to do thins since i am american but mostly have the time,most of the re-makes are crap im sorry its true,why not just run the original..

CellBlocknutter

[6]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 14

The idea of Making a US version gets me so annoyed I want to boycott NBC!

Haters rejoice however NBC failing miserably - This is just another bad idea in a long run of them.

Cutthedinosawrs

[7]Sep 1, 2008
    • level: 9
    i think people from other countrys are great an all but really maybe itll be better the office was.and serioously how old are you to use the term the yanks.

Celtwytch

[8]Sep 3, 2008
    • level: 8

Cutthedinosawrs wrote:
    i think people from other countrys are great an all but really maybe itll be better the office was.and serioously how old are you to use the term the yanks.

The use of the term "yanks" is not an indicator of age. Maybe you should take a look at your own post and its distinct lack of punctuation before criticising others

Cutthedinosawrs

[9]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 9
    LOL wow get a life.

Belinda_k

[10]Oct 8, 2008
    • level: 4
    I agree, I don't get why they couldn't just leave it and show the Aussie version over there. I certainly won't be watching the US show.

Belinda

MetalAzz666

[11]Oct 26, 2008
    • level: 1
    Seems there is a lot of nationalism here. Remember that it's only a small step from nationalism to Germany 1936...

American television is much more diverse than Australian television. A top series in Australia is still a mediocre series in the US, that's simply a fact. The humour in K&K is frankly nothing new, just old comedy done right. This goes for most shows these days by the way.

I don't think K&K are typical Australian. The humour is typical British, just in an Austalian setting. Replace the Austalian typicals with American/English/Chinese etc. ones and you can get a decent show in the coresponding country IF they choose the right actors. Remember a little series called 'The Office'? That series has gotten a life of it's own! I don't think that will happen to Kath & Kim though. From what I've seen it's just average.

tvownsLEXIE

[12]Nov 6, 2008
    • level: 21
    I had read about how funny the Australian version is supposed to be, so since I am a US citizen I decided to give the American version a try. It wasn't funny at all, and I was really disappointed. Hopefully I'll be able to find the Australian version some day so I can see how it is SUPPOSED to be done!

GossipGirlFANxx

[13]Nov 15, 2008
    • level: 14
    The US version is ablosute CRAP Its horrible THERE IS NO SHARON!!! that just like ruins it..i love Sharon..though I'm glad the actor who plays Sharon didn't let them use her..they would probably kill her off or somthing.