Kath & Kim (Australia)

Sunday 7:30 PM on Channel Seven Premiered May 01, 2002 Between Seasons

Sez01

Kath & Kim (Australia) Fan Reviews (29)

• Kath and Kim was a great show, that has now been ruined by the American Version.

Kath and Kim is a show about a bogan Melbourne family without an ounce of class. It's about a Mother who is always trying to look good, who cooks tries to improve her foul mouth daughters appearance by telling her to look and do things more professional. And her husband who is usually smooth and charming who acts cool and feels cool. Then there's Kim who is the daughter of Kath who is lazy, complains and never impresses her mother. She was pregnant with her husband (Brett) who is a genuine nice gentleman who is usually pushed around by Kim and never has the last word. Then the whole families friend ''Sharron''. Sharron usually pops up in their house because she is a family friend and Kim's best friend. She is into sports (despite her size) and is not a very happy person. The show was hilarious because of it's charm, it's reality and the great cast of actors who all fitted in well with their characters. But when I saw the American version I was disgusted. They sure did sell out, but the original Australian version will always be a great Aussie comedy Icon.
  • Awkward and lame has never been so funny nor even as adorable as this.

I cannot express how utterly hilarious this show is. The US version is lacking the key component that makes this work and that's the Aussie culture. Some jokes are most definitely lost in translation. If you don't think the US version is funny please don't let that reflect on this work of pure genius. Gina and Jane are brilliant comedians and every single episode will have you rolling. Nothing can quite compare to Kel and Sharon either (another giant misstep on the part of the US copycats). Awkward and lame has never been so funny nor even as adorable as this.
  • Kath and Kim exceeds any classification... it is defienentely uneywsual.

Am I expected to actually describe this? My opinion on it is right up there with the simpsons and with supernatural (I realise the latter is probably not a good show to include in a Kath and Kim review), which makes it one of the highest achievements of the 21st century.
    It follows the day to day endeavours of two mother and daughter "Foxy Morons", Kath Day-Night and Kim Day-Night. I'm sure every Aussie in the world could relate to their exploits (although many an exaggeration takes place in the KK world) and I think that is what makes this show so popular. I only recentely started getting "into" Kath and Kim, but from the two seasons I have seen, and the one movie, Kath and Kim will almost definentely get a fifth season. Here's hoping!
    See yas!
  • It's Noice. It's Different. It's AWESOME!!!!

The main characters are: Kath, an 'empty nester' divorcee who wants to enjoy time with her "hunk of spunk" Kel, a local butcher, but whose lifestyle is often cramped by the presence of her self-indulgent twenty-something daughter Kim, along with Kim's husband Brett and her "second best friend" Sharon.

Kath and kim are hilarious just the little things they always say incorrectly Car-donnay, etc. Kims complete rudeness especially to Sharon her pretty much only friend. They always make a mountain out of a mole hill and say some of the most ridiculous sayings. kath and Kim is a personal favourite and always will be. Make more episodes I say.
  • It's noice, it's different, it's unusual. It's Kath and Kim.

Kath and Kim is an Aussie comedy about the foxist lady this side of Fountain Lakes named Kath and her new hunk o' spunk of a husband Kel, hornbag Kim with husband Brett and young adorable Epponee Rae, and who could forget last but not least, the incredibly unluck in love Sharon.

A hilarious show with great characters that manages to have brilliant on-going story lines without getting stale. The lines on the show are classic and have redefined Australian slang. Each episode is just as entertaining as the last and just as quirky. Kim is always the centre of attention just as she likes it and poor Sharon always gets the bad luck. I love all the characters and how they are so different yet similar in so many aspects.

Kath and Kim is one of my all time favourite shows and will remain to be for years to come.
  • Tales of suburbia from a foxymoron and her hornbag daughter.

This is by far, the best comedy import from Australia ever (and there aren't that many, but this is genius). The show so good, it sparked its own vocabulary of Kath and Kim-isms. The DVD is highly recommended, especially of Season 2. The outtakes alone are inspired viewing. The interplay between the Kath and Kim is hilarious, the often ignored Sharon, Kim's second-best friend, and her numerous skin complaints, is cringeworthy but so funny, and what is up with Kel's hair? And the sideways looks he gives to the camera are worth a thousand pages of comedy material alone. And to Kim, change those jeans, your muffintops are showing! Look at moi, look at moooi...Now I've got one word to say to you...watch Kath and Kim, you foxymoron!
  • Welcome to Fountain Lakes, home of a foxy lady and her hornbag daughter.

From the first time I watched this, I was hooked. It may just be about the daily goings-on of a suburban housewife and her high-maintenance daughter, but it never fails to make me laugh. Kath is a house-proud housewife, who tries every diet and exercise plan there is to keep herself trim and good looking for her husband, purveyor of fine meats, Kel. Her daughter Kim is a self-obsessed trophy-wife-wannabe, only concerned with how her husband's - and baby daughter's - career "projectory" will benefit her. Their deliberate misuse of similar-sounding words always brings a grin - a classic example is: "Where pacifically in the specific are you going for your cruise?" So if it's lightweight comedy you're after, you could do worse than head for Fountain Gate shopping centre, where you just might catch a glimpse of Kath and Kim on a shopping spree.
  • A fine example of great Australian comedy.

Kath and Kim is possibly one of the funniest Australian TV shows I have ever seen.

The show focuses on two foxy ladies, Kath, a 40/50 something mother of a 20/30 something daughter, Kim. It also features Kel (Kath's husband), Brett (Kim's husband), and Sharon (Kim's second best friend.)

Kath and Kim is hilarious. It's first season is mainly focused on Kath planning her marriage to Kel.

The second season is mainly focused on Kim being pregnant with her soon-to-be-daughter, Epponie-Ray (or something spelt like that!)

The third season, which IMO falls behind in quality when compared to the first two, focuses mainly on Kim raising Epponie-Ray.

Da Kath & Kim Code, the TV-movie made for Christmas in 2005, was disappointing for me, as the show felt as though it had passed it's peek, and was now merely trying to make a buck with this not-so-funny-anymore TV show.

However, the forth season looks fantastic, and I cannot wait for Kath & Kim's return! Hopefully the long period of time between the TV-movie and the forth season will make people more entusiastic about Kath & Kim's return. I'm even more hopeful that the two foxy morons have had enough time to think of something fresh and new.

Kath & Kim is a great show. It got stale and old, as some things do, but hopefully the long-awaited forth season will prove me wrong!
  • Ultimate classic Aussie show, what a bunch of "foxy morons".

This has to be one of the best shows on oz tv! Absolutely hilarious, can't get enough. Jane Turner and Gina Riley are extremely talented, producing and starring in this original series. They truely are destined for greatness...Kath with her many TAFE courses under her belt and her "great hunk o spunk" husband Kel by her side. Kim with baby Epponnee, "Bretty", her "hornbag" looks and Sharon as a "second best friend". Who can forget Prue and Trude taking care of manchester while sipping a grande skinny! I can't wait to see another series of Kath and Kim...what will go down in Fountain Lakes next?
  • So Ab. Fab.! It's all almost pant-wettingly funny!

Gena Riley and Jane Turner are just CLASSIC as Kath and Kim! Sometimes it seems like these 'foxy morons' can do no wrong. This show takes a 'behind the scene' look at suburban life in Fountain Lakes, Australia. Magda does an excellent job as Kim's unfortunate 'second best friend'. Kel is so fabulously metro bordering on very gay and Brett is just so clueless. It's spawned some classic sayings, such as 'Look at moi, Kimmy. Look at moi!' and brought back some old ones, 'hornbag'. Nothing says 'Bogan' to me more than this show- I only pray that people don't actually think Australians are like that.
  • Different. Very different - just, in a good way.

This is absolutely hilarious. Aussie comedy at its best. Whenever these gals come on you're sure to have a sore tummy for the rest of the night after laughing so hard.

Kim is so unbelievably thick and bratty that you really can't help but wonder why poor Brett ever married her (favourite Kim quote: "My marriage is over - O. V. A. H. - over!!" Kath and Kel are so in love it would be adorable were it not for the disturbing visuals of them kissing that make you unsure whether to laugh or cringe. Sharon, for her part, is a rather sad figure, so determined to tag along with Kim despite Kim's blatant disregard towards her.

Though sometimes the forays into their secondary characters at the mall get rather long and irrelevant, all in all, the show is a brilliant one and the laughs come often.
    okay, i know alot of people that i know hate this show or just don't watch it but i don't understand why.
    i find it 100% funny, the characters make fun and encourage the sterotypical aussieor as we somtimes say bogan - no offence to any aussies :D. to two actors and also creators of the show along with other well know comedians make the show a fun to watch experience. i love how they make the most unimaginable/ unlikely thing to occure happen so easily- it is very very funny to me.
    although i have noticed that towards the end of the show it began to go down hill slightly but i still enjoy watching it.
  • Look at moi! Look at moi! Look at moi Kimmy!

Look at moi! Look at moi! Look at moi Kimmy!
  • The best Australian show I have seen!

7.4
    If you read my other reviews on such Australian shows, like "Home and Away" and "Neighbours" you will see that I hate those shows and think that whoever was the creator should burn in hell.

So when I saw Kath & Kim I was extremely suprised to find a decent show from Australia. It is extremely funny, and has the type of characters that you would hate to be around in real life.

Season 1 and 2 were fantastic, but season 3 was when the series got a little old, and 'Da Kath and Kim Code' was not a great success, and that is why I have only given this show a 7.4
  • This show is a great piece of comedy.

Kath and Kim is about two ladies living in normal surbaria in Melbourne,Australia who think that they are foxy morons.
    The eponymous Kath and Kim are mother and daughter.Australia's most successful sitcom Kath & Kim. Words like 'ploise,moi, toute sweet and some others' make this show a great sitcom.Another great Aussie comedy show.
  • The fantastic story of a middle aged women and her loud and aggressive daughter. Fantastic scripts for every episode, extremely hilarious every episode.

Kath and Kim's hilarious antics light up my weekend after a dull and boring week. The great script writing from Jane Turner and Gina Riley make the entire three seasons a delight to watch. Like all good shows there are particular characters and things which make the show work. Sharon's injuries in every episode, Kath's mispronunciation of simple words, Kim and Brett's dysfunctional marriage hold the show together and add to the already fantastic story-lines in each episode. To me what keeps the entire three seasons interesting is the fact that in each season, the entire season builds up to a huge ending with the words "I only have one thing to say to you". In season one it was the Wedding, season two was the Birth and season three was the Future Wedding of Eppinee-Rae.
  • A comedy about two "foxy morons" living in Melbourne, Australia.

Kath & Kim is an Australian sitcom, about two \"foxy morons\", Kath, the mother, and Kim, the daughter, living in Fountain Lakes, Melbourne.

The show features three of the most well-known women in Australian television, Jane Turner (Kath), Gina Riley (Kim), and Magda Szubanski (Sharon, Kim\'s second-best-friend). All three of these women featured in Something Stupid, Big Girl\'s Blouse, and Fast Forward in earlier years.

Kim Craig née Day is in her late twenties, and married to Brett, although she is the constant cause of arguments in their relationship. She is quite spoilt, and has a \"better than you\" attitude.

Kath Day is a divorcée, who gets re-married, this time to her \"hunk o\' spunk\" Kel Knight, a \"purveryor of fine meats\", who owns his own business in Fountain Gate.

Two funny character in Kath & Kim, are Prue and Trude, two assistants in a gift shop in Fountain Gate, also played by Jane and Gina. They are (apprently), both members of upper-class families living in one of the richer areas of Melbourne. They appear five times throughout the three seasons, and also appear in the 2005 telemovie, \"Da Kath & Kim Code\".

One of the unique features of Kath & Kim is their strong Australian accents, the way they say their words, and how they continually get phrases wrong. eg:

* \"It\'s ny-oice, it\'s diff\'rent, it\'s un-ewes-yewl!\"
    * \"Now what does that pacifically entail?\"

An early version of Kath & Kim first appeared in Jane, Gina, and Magda\'s 1994 production of \"Big Girl\'s BLouse\", under the name \"Kim\'s Wedding\". It had at least one skit every episode.
  • This is true Aussie satire...at it's best.

Kath and Kim; before they appeared on ABC a few years ago we didn't know what a mockumentary was. Now they're everywhere and it's all thanks to this show and a few other pioneers.
    I enjoy the fact that this is an unadulterated Australian comedy show. I find that so many Aus Dramas are trying to be commerical and by that I mean "American" whereas this show is just itself and doesn't apologise.
    Sharon the much put upon best friend is the shining light of this series and her best scene when she sings a song that sums her up; "what about me"
  • Kimmy ... look at me!

Well I am very surprised how well this show has taken off. It is also funny to think that other countries seem to think Australian's are actually like that!
    This is a very funny show with exagerated Aussie humor.
    With a cast that has been on many different comedy shows together eg. Fast Forward, Full Frontal it was bound to be great!
  • It’s nice, it’s different, it’s unusual. No, yeah, it is.

Set in the heart of Melbourne suburbia, Kath and Kim follows the day-to-day activities of a mother and daughter – plus their partners, friends and pets – giving a satirical glance into the world that is Aussies.

The Gina Riley/Jane Turner/Magda Szubanski comedy team has always been a winner, even from the early years. Big Girls’ Blouse, Fast Forward, Something Stupid… They’re all winners, and Kath & Kim is another insight into the brilliant minds of these brilliant comediennes.

Each episode is fresh, and a great relief from the tedious ‘comedies’ that have been imported from overseas. It’s great to see an Australian show impressing so many people of so many cultures.

The co-stars in Kath & Kim are fantastic, and each role contributes to the show in a way that no other character could. Glenn Robbins and Peter Rowsthorn play the partners of Kath and Kim respectively, and Judith Lucy, Mark Trevorrow, and Marg Downey all play various recurring characters, each as hilarious and significant as the last.

Kath & Kim is the funniest thing to hit Australian screens since the acting on Home and Away. I’m so grateful that Australians can laugh at themselves, and that we allow others to laugh at us. If this show never ended, it would be too soon.
  • 3 words : funniest show ever..

Kath and Kim is set in the real suburb of Fountain Gates, Melbourne. The show follows Kath, her daughter Kim, and Kim's second best friend Sharon.

One thing I love about this show is that it has the stupidest catch phrases ever.. "Look at moi," has now become almost normal to be heard in Australia.

Kath's 'fashion sense' is truly horrible (which is good) and Kim's foxy-ness is good. I think.

I love the show, its really funny. Sure, the telemovie wasn't as good as the series, but I want Kath and Kim to come back for a fourth series
  • 3 fat, stupid, annoying women played by self-indulgent, talentless actresses who think they're funny in a cliched sitcom setting.

0.0
    This is one of the worst Australian 'comedies' in recent years, and that's saying something. It easily ranks amongst the mind-numbing Skithouse, Big Bite, All Aussie Adventures and Comedy Inc.

It easily ranks amongst some of the most over-rated and over-watched Australian shows of all time like Neighbours and Home & Away.

All this show is is a bunch of self-indulgent, old, untalented actors and actresses playing stupid, annoying characters (i.e. themselves), recycling jokes from 'Big Girl's Blouse' and trying to be funny with cheap puns.

What irritates me even more is that when 'Double the Fist', one of the all time greatest Australian TV shows ever made won the AFI for best comedy beating this show, every newspaper article afterwards winged about how this got it's arse kicked by a more deserving show.

Wise up Australia! This show is crap.
  • Absoulutely hot to trot!

Kath and Kim - How could you not love them? This show is the funniest thing I have ever seen, but I do think the third season started going downhill, because there is only so much you can do with the characters. I still think its awesome though, Jane Turner and Gina Riley are extremely talanted. I recommend this show to anyone. How could you not love it?
  • FOXIER THAN EVA

Har Hoar yur?
    Jane Turner and Gina Riley are outstanding writers as we already know they have written Big girls Blouse as well as all of the Kath and Kim series and definently need to be congratulated!!! on their hard work and effort in making kath and kim grayshsh

Kath and Kim are an excellent example of us surburban households in Melbourne australia we can relate!

Kim is a hornbag (got the bag part right)
    Kath is Kel's foxy lady
    Sharon is a Great Bloody Oath according to Kim
    Kel is a pervayor of fine meats
    Brett is a fridge magnet
    Prue AND Trude are the shop assistants in Happy Homewares where Kim Buys her wig and is regularly visited during Series 2 and 3 and maybe even the telemovie
    Watch Kath and KIm and soon u will be talkin lyke these foxymorons
  • A great example of an Aussie sit-com. The series satirises the habits & values of modern suburban Australians

I love Kath and Kim becuase it's a great example of an Aussie sit-com, showing a suburban town and satirising the habits & values of modern suburban Australians. Kath and Kim is a send up of a fly-on-the-wall type of reality TV series so it is like your in the room with them, and that makes us feel like we are viewing real life people in their homes which is great to watch. Everyone is so funny in it especially Gina Riley because she is great as the character of Kim.
  • HILARIOUS!!!

oh my gosh how can I even start to describe Kath and Kim?? FABULOUS!!! I bought every episode on DVD as soon as I could!!!! I guess my obsesstion with Gina Riley might have something to do with my love for Kath and Kim lol but I still can't get enough of the series!!! It makes me laugh every time I watch it and lol believe me, I watch it a LOT!!! There's no doubt about it, these hornbags have got a lot of talent!!!!
  • This is by far the most annoying thing i have ever seen.

5.7
    God i hate their accents, i know they're australian but it just pisses me off. It's not even a funny show!!! If you want comedy watch a sketch show because this is not funny. They seem to think that it can be funny just because they have different accents but it doesn't work.

Every show has a catch phrase, something to make you want to come back again and again. This show is no exception but, really, does 'look at me' motivate you to keep on watching. Not for me i'm afraid.

I do think this show was put on tv at the wrong time. With many new shows that are just so much better, including 'lost' and 'house' this just doesn't come close. Maybe if it had been put on when there was nothing else to watch i would have thought differently but at the moment i hate it.

• Kath and Kim are a mother and daughter team living it up in Australia, naturally hilarity ensues...

Kath and Kim is a brilliant show. It is so funny and off the wall. It centres around Kath Day-Knight and her daughter Kim, as well as their sport mad friend Sharon, Kath's new husband (as of season 2) Kel and Kim's estranged husband Brett (But they get back together!). This series is an absolute gem and is recommended to anyone!
  • An all time classic Australian comedy. This is truly something amazing!

Kath & Kim has grown to become one of the highest rating and best comedies in Australia today.

Many people who watch love its clear genius and its extremely funny wit. The creators Gina Riley & Jane Turner have done an excellent job with this series which takes a look at a 'normal' family who are there to shock the audience.