Kath & Kim Forums

NBC (ended 2009)

Very Confused

bigape2005

[1]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 10

The whole point of Kath and Kim is that it's a perfect fly on the wall, tounge in cheek, view of life in the bogan suburbs of Melbourne, Australia. Unless you come from Melbourne or have lived there it's funny, but can be a little hard to get at times.

I have no idea what NBC think they can do with this. Why not just show the Australian show ?

Baffled

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Herodite777

[2]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 8
    Because their changing it to a sit-com about a perfect fly on the wall, tounge in cheek, view of life in the suburbs of an American city. This way Americans can get the humor and not be like "I don't get it."

willandgracefan

[3]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 6
    exactly!! finally someone has said it.

the show isn't just based around melbourne, australia. it can be changed to fit in anywhere. like even in a rice paddy in shanghai, china.

it's a show about a mother and daughter relationship. not about where the people come from.

the humor and jokes can be changed to fit in to where they are from. stop thinking the show is all about AUSTRALIA and it only has AUSTRALIAN humor. It's not!! It can be changed into American humor.

tuckermick

[4]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 1
    The Australian version is absolute RUBBISH. I wonder if the seppo's can make good of it.

whoaitsconner

[5]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 21
    The show looks like it will work.

Water78

[6]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 47
    are u serious NBC is riding the furtune with the Office with comes from England they changed alot with those shows. Why cant they adapt Kath and Kim hmm?

Batmantha

[7]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 4

I really hope people figure out that the Australian version is the original, I hate it when they think otherwise.

Personally I don't think it will be as good, I find the casting completely wrong unless they have completely changed script because alot of jokes are targeted towards well kim being slightly large (she is only a size 12 but they play it up) and they cast Selma Blair who is barely a size 4? I don't understand.

I did hate Blair's comment of "our version has more heart" when thats just bull basically.

Only one way to find out if it works I guess

heroesfan07

[8]Jul 26, 2008
    • level: 21
    I really am excited about this although i haven't seen the original (I'll check it out now) i love the two leads.

Herodite777

[9]Jul 26, 2008
    Batmantha wrote:
    I really hope people figure out that the Australian version is the original, I hate it when they think otherwise.

Considering the promos I've seen...NBC called it an adaption of the #1 show in Australia.

uglybetty511

[10]Jul 27, 2008
    I can't wait for it 2 start!

TheWompmiester

[11]Aug 10, 2008

It is not, never has been, and never will be, Australia's #1 show. It lost the award it was nominated for to "Double The Fist". Kath & Kim is not even popular in Australia.

And, the humour is not difficult to "Get", if anything it is childishly simplistsic, so much so that most Australian's find it an insult to their intelligence. I think most Americans will be equally insulted. You don't have to be Australian to get jokes of the callibre of a WHITE woman naming her WHITE baby EBONY.

I only hope that when it inevitably flops in America they will stop trying to ram it down our throats here in Australia.

Herodite777

[12]Aug 10, 2008
    Whenever a show is adapted, no matter how unpopular a show was, they always call the series #1 or popular.

The Australian show is a Logie-award winning show though-it won "Best Outstanding Comedy" twice. If it is childish and easy to understand then I feel bad for the state of comedy in Australia. Also unpopular series don't get 4 seasons and a TV movie. The Fourth season premiere of the Australian series had 2.521 million viewers, making it the most watched Australian show in 2007, and highest rated premiere for a show ever. How is this show NOT popular in Australia?

Kath & Kim premiered on May 15, 2002 and became one of ABC's highest rated shows. When the show premiered on the Seven Network, it became the highest rating episode in Australian television history. The fourth season of Kath & Kim debuted with a record breaking 2.511 million viewers peaking at 2.731 million. In its second and third episodes viewers fell to 1.994 & 1.817 million respectively, however viewers then rebounded for its fourth and fifth episodes with ratings of 2.047 & 2.157 million respectively. Strong ratings continued with viewers of 2.049 and 2.066 million for the sixth and seventh episodes. The eighth episode and season finale rated 2.338 million giving the fourth season an average viewership of 2.122 million, making it the highest rating series in Australia for 2007 and the highest rating of all four series of the show.

So it's not popular with Australians...or just where you live? 'Cause it seems numbers groove you wrong.

TheWompmiester

[13]Aug 11, 2008

Well, of course it won awards, Aunty ABC binned the show that beat it, "Double The Fist", especially so that it would win. And the so called winning ratings figures are basically made by liberally "ïnterpereting" the figures to ensure the desired results are always found. Other sources show no basis for a claim to a record.

1 Tennis: Aus Open final - Hewitt v Safin 2005 (7) 4.04 million
    2 Rugby World Cup final 2003 (7) 4.01 million
    3 Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony 2006 (9) 3.56m
    4 AFL Grand Final 2005 (10) 3.39m
    5 Australian Idol Final Verdict 2004 (10) 3.35m

This was the same show that when asked by outside media sources for fans to interview found it so difficult to find a single example that they resorted to having the ABC marketing manager and some of her coworkers impersonate fans.

The show is not funny.

Herodite777

[14]Aug 11, 2008
    So a show manages to have 4 seasons and a TV movie but has NO fans?

What is your source?

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/enews/tv-ratings-270807.html

Kath & Kim reruns are among the highest despite having no fans?

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/enews/tv-ratings-200807.html

Here's my source. Don't call these numbers lies because I'm pretty sure they would get sued otherwise.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/08/20/1187462134923.html

I'm not liberally interpreting these figures.

PhilDiffy

[15]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 9
    It is well watched in Australia, but the US version is going to be absolute trash.

Skaramouche

[16]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 12

It *is* a popular show! It's so popular that phrases from the show have leaked into Australian popular culture. If that's not popular, I don't know what is.

So you may personally not like the show or its particular brand of humour? Don't confuse that with it not being popular. I agree, it's not the best show on TV but it's certainly one of the most well-loved.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Americans do with it. It's interesting to see that one of the catchphrases from the original has been changed. "Come in if you're good looking" has been changed to "Come in if you're sexy". I hope they keep "look at moi"... that's all I ask for

Edited on 08/25/2008 3:04pm

thefanof

[17]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 102
    After seeing some of the promos, it does not look like the producers did a good job "Americanizing" the show.

scorpiondog79

[18]Sep 17, 2008
    • level: 3
    lt me get this straight, it can be changed? and it's not about where they live? HEllo. 1 whole paragraph and kept saying same thing over and over!.. oh and over!

SkulleryMaid

[19]Sep 22, 2008
    • level: 6

The show HAD to have been popular in Australia -- I watched it with friends in Wisconsin about 4 years ago. If it made it to WI, it couldn't have been that underground.

I disagree with the argument that "simplistic" comedy is bad comedy. In fact, I couldn't disagree more. Let's look at shows like The Office, Sarah Silverman Program, and an old classic All in the Family... all very "simple", yet still funny and remarkably poignant. Smart people don't confuse complexity with quality.

michael_LB92

[20]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 24
    Batmantha wrote:
    I did hate Blair's comment of "our version has more heart" when thats just bull basically.

That could be true. The Australian version is a sattire, and has absolutely no seriousness in it. I'd say every main character is 2-dimensional... except maybe for Sharon, just because I pity her so much.

The point is that the Americans may show more depth in the characters; as in, show a serious side to them. This could go either way in terms of which is better.

However, unless the American version clearly sucks, I think it would be hard to say which version is better - they already seem so different just from watching the promos. And it really depends on people's preferences of comedy and style.