Keeping Up Appearances

BBC (ended 1995)

jbeauchamp17

Keeping Up Appearances Fan Reviews (33)

• I am wondering if the 1990s produced any sitcom from any part of the world which was better than this British classic and I'm thinking that the answer is a definite 'no' because this would take some beating!

Hyacinth and Richard Bucket are anything but ordinary, or at least according to Hyacinth they are not ordinary and I would say I have to agree with her as there is definitely NOTHING ordinary about a show which I consider to be one of the best comedies ever made.

For five years we were fortunate enough to share the lives of not only Hyacinth and Richard, but their neighbours, Elizabeth and Emmett and also Hyacinth's dysfunctional family; sisters Rose, Daisy and Violet and brothers-in-law Onslow and Bruce. Of course, there was also the poor, terrified vicar and his wife, the womanising Major and Mrs. Barker-Finch from number 23 who vexed Hyacinth greatly. You see, Hyacinth's only goal in life was to keep up with and then surpass the Jonses (and anybody else whom she considered was trying to outdo her in any way.) Only the best furniture, the best china, the best clothes, the best holidays and the best car would do.

Unfortunately for friends, neighbours and relatives, Hyacinth's desire to have and be the best always seemed to somehow include all of them as well! To say that, for the most part, they were less than pleased would be quite the understatement!

Hilarious from start to finish. A brilliant ensemble cast headed by Patricia Routledge and Clive Swift. Every post was most definitely a winner. If you haven't seen this show, you don't know what you're missing!