Kekkaishi

YTV (ended 2008)

asian_lamia

Kekkaishi Fan Reviews (7)

• Great

Yoshimori is a chosen monster exterminator, him and his friend grew up together and Yoshimori is always competing against her on the amount of monster kills. The show has a great story and character development and funny. It has some pretty good battles of magical arts or curses, lol whatever you call it. The anime ended like it can go on, it continue on in the manga but I think that eventually ended, so I don't know if they are going to continue the anime to catch up to the manga. I hope so its very good.
  • Very underrated, but still beast.

To sum it up, Kekkaishi is about a teenager named Yoshimori Sumimura and his childhood friend and love-interest Tokine Yukimura. They go to their joint junior high-high school at night to defend it against demon-like things given the name Ayakashi. They do this night to night while still maintaining the identities of regular students during the day.

I'll admit it, at first, I also didn't think much of the show. I thought it was just another anime like Bleach where the main characters just fought every episode. Boy was I ever wrong.

After watching the show on adult swim, I started taking a liking to it (mere exposure effect at its prime). And as I started to like it more and more, I wanted to find out more. So I started to google it and look up the manga. And man, it was worth it.

In regards to the anime, which has its own particular changes to the manga, it was well done. At times, I liked the anime's way of progression slightly more. While I'm still waiting to see the conclusion on adult swim, the characters are well balance. Yoshimori's comedic flare adds levity to the story which is juxtaposed with Tokine's seriousness. Yoshimori's MO is a bit cliche for an anime, but what isn't as cliche this time round is the involvement of the characters. As I watch a few animes here and there, most of the shows I've seen become protagonist-central. The whole thing slowly turns into the main character pulling something out of their butts to win and win and win. It's different in Kekkaishi. Sure, Yoshimori still does some crazy stuff to win, but Tokine still has an active role in battles and shows growth. The other character, Gen, also manages to grow and fight an 'equal' amount battles. Even the two grandparents play their supporting roles rather well. This was an eye-catcher for me. The backstories of the characters also drew my attention.

Basically, it was Yoshimori was an easily frightened child who didn't like being the bearer of the houin mark and cried a lot. He was close friends with Tokine, despite their family ties. I found this interesting because, well, usually it's the other way around so seeing it flipped was pretty fun.

In the end, I would definitely recommend watching the anime and reading the manga (as you wouldn't want to leave the story half done, would you ;) ). It's definitely an exciting story, full of twists and turns while keeping things fresh.
  • Awesome Underrated Anime

Why is this anime not talked about? It's really good. Both me and my sister like it. The show has really good characters. The grandpa is a bit annoying,but all the other characters are original,brilliant,and just make the show overall. I like that Yoshimori is still holding on to the incident Tokine suffered from,but it gets sorta annoying.

I haven't seen all the episodes,but I've seen enough to say that this is a great series,without a doubt. The plot gets a little repetitive,but I don't mind it too much. The powers in this show is magnificently portrayed. I gotta say,the show ranks up thre with inuYasha.
  • Hmmmm....

This is just an average anime show. Ok let's tell about this show. It's all about a teenager named Yoshimori and a girl named Tokeni, they also have 2 pet doga which is I forgot there names. They live with that wacky grandpa, again I forgot his name.

There job is to guard the school against those monster like devils and stuff. They always came in school at night to kill those monsters again, again, again, again, until the show is ended.

I just give this average because is just repetitive, they just guarding school at night to kill the monsters, then the next night again, they kill the monsters again and again and AGAIN!!!!.

I can't believe it was aired in YTV, is there an Eng. Dub for this? I think not, just forget about that.
  • Forget about your "Skip Beat!" manga for a while now. Now, how about Kekkaishi for an anime?

I've been watching Kekkaishi for quite a while now. Kekkaishi is a work by Tanabe Yellow, and was made into anime (manga is serialized by Shogakukan in Japan) since around October 2006. I enjoy this anime very much, and since it is not too popular yet then I feel like I couldn't be better off without recommending this anime to fellow anime fans who haven't yet watched this anime.Kekkaishi is an interesting anime with a different twist on the supernatural. Yoshimori's comic nature provides welcome humour amidst the sometimes serious underlying plot. The story is new, unique and well apart from the run-of-the-mill supernatural one would otherwise expect - particularly because of the interesting kekkai techniques. A good action-packed anime to watch!
  • great anime!!!

Kekkaishi (結界師, Kekkaishi? literally "Barrier Master") is a manga series by Yellow Tanabe. It is published in Japan by Shogakukan and in North America in English by Viz Media. It was adapted as a 52-episode anime series by Sunrise broadcast between October 2006 and February 2008. The series is about teenagers Yoshimori Sumimura and Tokine Yukimura, heirs to rival clans of kekkai (barrier magic) users, who must defend their school from the spirits drawn to the sacred land it is built upon. Kekkaishi received the 2007 Shogakukan Manga Award for shōnen manga.

Five hundred years ago, a feudal lord was attacked by demons wanting to retrieve his mysterious inner power, the invincible power that can help them take over the human world. The famous mage, Tokimori Hazama, was called upon, and with his 2 students, managed to save the whole land. But they fell ill, the feudal lord was killed, his power was also buried with him at a site called Karasumori.

In the present day, Yoshimori Sumimura and Tokine Yukimura, heirs of the Hazama clan, became the kekkaishi protecting the land and the power. They use a technique called Kekkai, a form of magical barrier, used to capture and destroy Ayakashi (monsters/demons) that are drawn to this land. Any demons that come near the power will become stronger and therefore Yoshimori and Tokine are to guard the land from intrusion of the Ayakashi.

But some of the demons form a powerful organization to take over that mysterious power. Yoshimori plans to destroy not only the demons, but also to gain the power to completely save the world from being controlled by demons. To do that, he first needs to know what the power actually is, and also strengthen his poor kekkai skills.
  • Exiting!!

Sumimura Yoshimori is a normal 14-year-old middle-school student, though he always falls asleep in class. This is however due to his night duties, in which he takes on the role of a Kekkaishi (Barrier Master). Together with Yukimura Tokine, his neighbor and childhood friend (sweetheart), he serves as a protector for the school which holds a few ancient secrets. These secrets are slowly being unraveled, which may play a role in Yoshimori's ultimate plans.

They are heirs of the Hazama clan, thay became the kekkaishi protecting the land and the power. They use a technique called Kekkai, a form of magical barrier, used to capture and destroy Ayakashi (monsters/demons) that are drawn to this land. Any demons that come near the power will become stronger and therefore Yoshimori and Tokine are to guard the land from intrusion of the Ayakashi. Although some of the demons form a powerful organization to take over that mysterious power. Yoshimori plans to destroy not only the demons, but also to gain the power to completely save the world from being controlled by demons. To do that, he first needs to know what the power actually is, and also strengthen his poor kekkai skills.