Kid Nation Forums

CBS (ended 2007)

Location of Bonanza City, NM?

packrat79

[1]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 1

Being the fan of this show that I am, I was really curious to see where this took place. So I started looking through some info on NM ghost towns, and with the help of Google maps I finally found what I THINK to be where this series was shot:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=albuquerque,+nm&ie=UTF8&ll=35.542781,-106.096666&spn=0.003885,0.007296&t=h&z=17&om=1

The satellite photo was taken with snow on the ground so it's a little hard to tell, but the geography of the buildings looks exactly like what we've seen in the show. If this really is the place, you'll notice how close it is (like a few miles) from Albuquerque.

I know, I'm obsessed. But if this the right location, it's pretty neat to see it on Google maps.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ImmaculatePimp

[2]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 5

I hate to burst your bubble but........The Bonanza city shown on the show is not the actual Bonanza city. The real Bonanza is near Santa Fe. All thats left of that is some foundation remains. So they created a new Bonanza for the show.Maybe the place you found on the map is the Bonanza city made for the show.

edit: If you do look real close on the satellite image I believe I see Jared's pimp hat

Edited on 12/08/2007 1:17pm

packrat79

[3]Dec 8, 2007

You are right that the show was not shot in the real Bonanza, which is indeed just ruins. But I read that the place used for the show was actually an old movie set, which means it would have looked the same several years ago when the satellite image was probably taken (most google earth images are several years old). If you look at the photo, you'll notice there are no well-established roads (just dirt trails), as well as no vehicles or other signs of life. Not to mention that these buildings are quite intact, roofs and all. And it is near Santa Fe, about 8 or 9 miles SW according to the map scale.

If anyone else can find a more probably location please share it with us. Until then, I'll assume I've found the right one.

Edited on 12/08/2007 3:48pm

ImmaculatePimp

[4]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 5
    Its all good, I just didn't know if you and other KN fans knew the history behind it.

amazing_race

[5]Dec 9, 2007
    • level: 53
    That's interesting.

aSweetLifeeb

[6]Dec 9, 2007
    • level: 34
    amazing_race wrote:
    That's interesting.
    very

packrat79

[7]Dec 9, 2007
    So do you think I found the right place? Maybe the next time one of you are near Sante Fe you can head out to the desert and check it out. I'd do it myself but I'm about 3000 miles away.....

lilanoia

[8]Sep 10, 2009
    I'm planning to visit Bonanza City Creek Ranch this Winter. I've just saw pictures about this city and it is really cool! Also I watched the Kid Nation show, unfortunately, for just some minutes. Do you think Bonanza City looks like at Kid Nation Show?Is there anyway to download the show? And if you ever have been there, can you tell me how to get this city? Thank you very much!

StephenHuntsm

[9]Oct 10, 2012
    That is the Bonanza City used in Kid Nation. Just re-watched the series and compared what I saw to the satellite image you provided and it's clearly Bonanza. Like you, I've been looking all over NM for Bonanza city and kept coming up empty. But this has to be it considering the fact that there was a volcanic shaped hill not too far from Bonanza that CBS' cameras kept showing at times. Yeah, I know i'm telling you this 5 years later.