TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Kid Nation Forums

CBS (ended 2007)

"We've All Decided to "Go Mad!"*SEASON FINALE* Discussion

ImmaculatePimp

[1]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 5

The ep preview is

"The first season comes to an end with the pioneers trying to keep the town running after they find out that the job board has been destroyed. The pioneers take part in three challenges, each victor winning a gold star worth $50,000. At the end, the pioneers all receive a surprise that brings many of them to tears."

The episode title is quoted from Olivia as seen in the preview video

Edited on 12/12/2007 3:23pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ImmaculatePimp

[2]Dec 12, 2007
    I hope Jared finally is able to win a gold star. If that happens I will be the happiest person in the world. I wonder what the whole thing about the kids crying at the end is about. Maybe they decide to give a gold star to everyone that hasn't won one. That probably won't happen but it would be nice because they all deserve one (well maybe all of them *cough*Taylor*cough*). So I await this episode with much anticipation. GO JARED!

code_yumi

[3]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 9

Remember after the rereelction when someone said "Bonanza's going to burn."?

code_yumi

[4]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 9
    The part where the parents came was so sweet!

laepelba

[5]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 6
    KID NATION ROCKS!! It's been about 30 years since I was their age. And I have to say that I LOVE watching young people discover things about themselves. This group of "kids" do exactly what Sophia said at the end of the show - they give me hope for the future of our world. I certainly hope that CBS picks up "Kid Nation" for a second season. KID NATION ROCKS!!

Y2J_Fan101

[6]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 14
    Finally Zach got a gold star, he should have got one of the 50,000 doller stars.

hawkeyewx

[7]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 1

laepelba wrote:
    KID NATION ROCKS!! It's been about 30 years since I was their age. And I have to say that I LOVE watching young people discover things about themselves. This group of "kids" do exactly what Sophia said at the end of the show - they give me hope for the future of our world. I certainly hope that CBS picks up "Kid Nation" for a second season. KID NATION ROCKS!!

Ditto. Quite a few of these kids are much more mature than I was at their age, and it was great to watch. Some of the kids are very funny, too. I really enjoyed watching the entire season and I also hope CBS gives us another.

megakoolkid

[8]Dec 12, 2007
    kid nation was amazing! i actaully started to cry when they were at the end. and i also cried for them but also for the fact that im gonna miss watching those kids every week i wish i could have had the chance to do this when i was younger! they all did such an amazing job! PLEASE make a season 2! kid nation is the best show EVER!

kittikutie33

[9]Dec 12, 2007

I do think that it was a very sad episode. ALTHOUGH, I think that the gold star give aways were unfair. Mainly because the most hardworking people (at least some of them) were on council. The town should of voted for the gold star winner. At least one of the three gold stars, and they wouldnt be able to vote for themselves.

mwgfgrey

[10]Dec 13, 2007
    This was a very good show and I thought it was a sad ending too because they were like a family. I was hoping they'd get to exchange numbers or something. I thought it was great when Morgan's dad asked Greg how old he was and said something like that was a better conversation than he's had with most adults. I knew Migle or Anjay would win that last gold star. I wasn't expecting Morgan and Sophia just because they'd won gold stars before. I too wish they would have had this around when I was younger. I just wanna say that I'm proud of all of those kids for doing that all on their own cause some were 8 and 9 years old hauling heavy things in challenges and also buckets of water everyday. They all really impressed me. And I think we all knew the job board being burned was no accident. I also was very glad Zach one the gold star finally because I feel he deserved it before he was on council, getting everybody in her district up early for work when they didn't want too. And Migle showed good leadership skills when she calmed Emilie down. And they all pulled it together for the challenge. The parents were definately shocked from the kids' living conditions though. Like when DK showed his parents the chicken feet and told them they were from the chickens they had to kill for food. I was surprised in their riot. I was like, "Okay they have a sheriff...maybe she should have deputies." And what about the brotherhood Blane and Greg showed when DK's legs gave out on him? That showed how close the town was. No kid gets left behind LOL I'm really going to miss this show. I hope they do it again in the U.S. if there is another season.

SkipMDMan

[11]Dec 13, 2007

I thought the finale was pretty good.

I was especially interested in the parents of some of the kids, did anyone else think Jared's dad was exactly what a Jared dad should look like? Watching how the parents reacted to the kids living conditions, doing "shots" in the bar, using the outhouse, it was a fun thing.

I thought Sophia was the obvious choice for a $50k star, not sure about Migle or Morgan, you didn't see as much of Morgan during the latter episodes, obviously the kids who are there 24/7 know better than we do.

Wouldn't it be funny though if the girls that won were all kinda "showmances" of some of the council members?

I did almost faint during the goodbye scenes when I heard Sophia and Greg say "I love you" to each other, even though I'm pretty sure it was the sister/brother love kind of thing.

Now to see what happens with the kids, they should do a reunion show at some point, maybe before season 2 starts?

Oh and Blaine, who played the "dumb blonde" part on the show, is a model. Does that fit or what?

Cromionic

[12]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 3

This was a nice episode but way did they make those bigger gold stars? It also didn't make sense to give the same old people a bigger reward after they already won a gold star? And about the job board and the journal i think they should've burnt those way before the last episode and let the council assign everyones jobs. They also should've started off with a sheriff , how you can keep order without law enforcement? You see what happen right after they noticed there was no law at all "chaos" or course they all regained themselves but its the same result. It was kinda funny when they were trying to put the fire out and they realized it was already to late. I still don't understand why they had that crazy challenge at the end with the party nobody ate the food they made the only real challenge was putting the tables together and the trash. What was the point of inviting the parents to the town at the end? Makes absolutely no sense.

MM330

[13]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 11
    I believe Johnathan said that two of the large stars must go to either previous winners or elected officials. The third could go to anybody. Of course, if the council knew about the large stars before awarding the small one, it may have played out differently.

Also, Migle surely improved during her stay in Bonanza. At first, she didn't do much but hang with Natasha. By the end, she was quite valuable to the city.

Seeker615

[14]Dec 13, 2007
    Overall a pretty good show. I did wish the larger gold stars were up for everyones vote. It doesn't seem fair that the final council members were excluded from getting $50K as they had every right to it also.
    Edited on 12/13/2007 8:08am

melissax3leigh

[15]Dec 13, 2007

Blaine's a model? now thats something to look into. I have to admit i was crying when everyone was saying goodbye. I would love to do this show, but i would be so upset at the end. I mean. living with kids for forty days, doing everything with each other. Its so sad they arent going to see each other. ever again.

Water78

[16]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 47
    I must agree the ending was very sad. It didnt help with the guy saying "Say goodbye because you will never see each other again."

cynderbuster

[17]Dec 13, 2007
    Cromionic wrote:

This was a nice episode but way did they make those bigger gold stars? It also didn't make sense to give the same old people a bigger reward after they already won a gold star? And about the job board and the journal i think they should've burnt those way before the last episode and let the council assign everyones jobs. They also should've started off with a sheriff , how you can keep order without law enforcement? You see what happen right after they noticed there was no law at all "chaos" or course they all regained themselves but its the same result. It was kinda funny when they were trying to put the fire out and they realized it was already to late. I still don't understand why they had that crazy challenge at the end with the party nobody ate the food they made the only real challenge was putting the tables together and the trash. What was the point of inviting the parents to the town at the end? Makes absolutely no sense.

I agree with alot of that. I was wondering if they get to keep both the stars if they already got one. Who knows if it was the producers idea to have law enforcement or actually the kids. What if the town council did decide to destroy the job board early on. It brings up the question of how much decision making did the council have control of. I wonder if they were allowed to change the rules of the game without approval from the producers. I thought the class system was too harsh but thats how real life goes I guess. I did see the parents eating spaghetti with the kids and I hoped it wasn't the same noodles they were putting in that water. Ewww

I was really glad to see Zach get the "last" gold star. You could tell he was really surprised. I wasn't always rooting for him but it dawned on me that he is only 10and Ithought about other 10 year olds I know. My nephew probably couldn't make himself a piece of toast.

cynderbuster

[18]Dec 13, 2007

MM330 wrote:
    I believe Johnathan said that two of the large stars must go to either previous winners or elected officials. The third could go to anybody. Of course, if the council knew about the large stars before awarding the small one, it may have played out differently. Also, Migle surely improved during her stay in Bonanza. At first, she didn't do much but hang with Natasha. By the end, she was quite valuable to the city.

Does anyone know if Sophia and Morgan get to keep both the stars they won.

Did anyone else think the shocked look on Sophias face was sooo fake. I do think she deserved it but she knew she was getting one. I just wish they would've given Migle the 20k star and Zack the 50k star. That was a hard choice for them to make and when they handed out the "last"one they didn't know about the other 3. I may have pickedover Migle. My feelings are that Migle improved because ofthe town and not the other way around. I did want her to win oneandI was very happy for herbut morebecause she was very likable.

packrat79

[19]Dec 13, 2007

A nice finale indeed, likewise I'm sorry to see it end, and I feel an attachment to the kids even though I've never met any of them. Watching this show really makes me also wish I could have been a part of something like this. The closest I ever came was attending a western-themed summer camp when I was 11 - but it was not very enjoyable at all. I've also had the "privelege" of using a real outhouse, and to be honest that was probably more memorable than my week at summer camp.

There were some memorable moments indeed from this finale. The look on DK's parents faces (when he told them they "cut up chickens") was priceless. It was also amusing when Leila called her mom a "city slicker" when she felt awkward about using the outhouse. And I was very glad to see Zack finally win a gold star.

As for the kids "never seeing each other again" I think that line was purposely fed to Jonathan to enhance the drama. Does anyone honestly believe, in this age of rapid transit, that none of the kids who became friends will never see each other again? At the very least, you can be sure they all exchanged Emails/postal addresses/phone numbers when the cameras were off.

I also eagerly look forward to season 2.... and the way things are going right now, I'd expect it will probably air in the spring rather than next fall. With this ridiculous writers strike going on, CBS will be desperate for new programming and will no raise the priority of KN season 2 as well as it's other reality shows.

Now we wait for a DVD release.....

Edited on 12/13/2007 4:05pm

VmKr0x

[20]Dec 13, 2007

HA! ITS OUT OF ORDER!! The episodes I mean. :] Remember the episode'Bonanza is Disgusting'? Well.. it showed that it was like.. day 25 or something. But in the final episode that we all watched... Morgan claims in an interview that she was the one who helped bury the trash in DAY TWO.

You might have missed it.. but I heard it loud and clear. :]

But yeah, that was a pretty good season finale.